Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

Reminds me of Paul Sebastian Design (!) and there's just one note in there that ruins if for me. To give it credit, the drydown and background of the scent are actually pretty decent, but I'll pass.

Acqua di Biella No. 1 by Acqua di Biella

A very vinatge feel and the lavender and mint play the most prominent roles. Good if you're looking for something light and traditional for warrmer weather, but as it's a cologne it has very little staying power.

Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Légère by Guerlain

It's very hard to tell what has changed, but overall this version seems to be better blended, smoother, and not as rich. The topnotes seem stronger with more citrus and the bottom notes seem less sharp.

Mahogany by Etro

Similar to Patou Prive in the overall effect, this is a deep, resinous wood aroma highlighted with a tinge of vanilla and lavender. The name suits it perfectly. One of the EDP's from Etro, so the sillage and longevity are outstanding.

Janca by Acqua di Biella

A beautiful soft floral, watery and fresh. Reminiscent of L'Eau d'Issey, though more transparent and "prettier". Overall quite feminine, and better satying power than the other AdB scents.

Baraja by Acqua di Biella

Very defintiely reminds me of fabric softener. And that's a good thing in my book, though the lasting power (it's a cologne) is abysmal and the price is quite high - therefore I'll stick with my snuggle.

Cittá di Kyoto by Santa Maria Novella

Beautifully done, smells like traditional Japanese temple incense. Sadly, doesn't last very long but I'd be happy to reapply just to smell this wonderful scent.

skiwitch's avatar

Organza Indécence by Givenchy

I found this scent before Christmas. I absolutely LOVE it, I have to take Chemo and this scent is the only one I can wear that doesn't get changed by my body chemistry. I used to wear J'Ador, I can't now. It is really nasty smelling on me now. I have fallen in love with a scent that is now very hard to get.

Envy by Gucci

I tend to be attracted to the more green/fresh fragrances in general, and I adore Envy! It does smell green, but with a mysterious floral that reminds me of a dewy midnight garden. Very modern and fresh, not cloying, I tend to wear it in the evenings... A little goes a long way.

cK one by Calvin Klein

I used to wear this a lot more, now I like a fresh, green splash of CK One in the summer, mainly. It's true that it's played out and oversold, one reason it fell out of my favorites. I still like it on myself, it's when I smell it on other people that the chemistry starts to go haywire! It seems to be a scent that can smell very cheap or very clean and unique, depending on the person. I still like it, but have moved on to more complex fragrances.

MV5 by M.A.C

MV5 is now M.A.C Hue = Greenify. From the M.A.C site: "...Leafy green herbs, blended with green fig, neon neroli, chartreuse poppies, coco de mer. Warmed by amber and vetiver, garnished with vanilla gousse..." I love this fragrance! It's an ultimate spring green, tempered by the sweetness of fig and an interesting splash of neroli and not too much vanilla pod. Nice dry down to a fresh vetiver and only a sly hint of the coco de mer (double coconut.) It just doesn't last very long! I find that I have to bring the bottle with me if I plan on staying out longer than 3 hours, by then the scent has almost evaporated entirely. I get a lot of compliments and inquiries from both men and women, but it might be a bit too sweet to be unisex? An affordable way to add a fully realized color/scent to your wardrobe!

Happy for Men by Clinique

Uplifting, bright, and cheerful. I detect just as much Lime as I do Orange in Happy for Men. Has a sweetness to it that reminds me of a fruit drink. Perfect for the Spring and Summer months. In the same vein as Arancia di Capri with a little more creativity.

15 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2010)

Cerruti Image by Cerruti

Spring is the first thing that comes to mind when I spritz Image out of it's whistle. Everything good that you associate with Spring. And it is not like every other scent from it's time, go into it with an open mind and you will see for yourself. Very clean, very sweet, very light, and with a surprisingly noticeable root beer note in the heart. Perfect for casual use and for someone who doesn't have to use a cologne to make them stand out. Use it generously, it wont offend,

15 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 03 April, 2008)

Paradise for Men by Alfred Sung

Wow, Papaya! Just one big bowl of sweet ripe papayas. Quite possibly the sweetest cologne I've worn. Longevity is poor at best.

15 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2010)

aykutv's avatar

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Although it has a good masculine scent, it smells like an expensive soap. It always reminds me of a soap. Am i wrong? Not sure about this fragrance.

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Moody, yummy and very sexy. This one is a favorite! I have met more men that wear this one than women. It might be because of the heavy musks. Very ambary as well.This might be called "Opulent". A sexy vanilla!

C'est La Vie by Christian Lacroix

This one was one of my favorites back in the early 90's. Too bad it got discontinued. The bottle was a bit funky but had a nice design. The best of this one was , of course, the smell. Even to this day i remeber it as being very interesting floral, like nothing done before. It felt fun and refreshing with a bit of sweetness, given by the fruits in it. It also has musks and some woods.Why did they decide to discontinue this one and go cheap and crass with the bazar line? i don't know. It has an ambery-spicy quality too that dries down very nicely.

Poême by Lancôme

Ufff very sweet here. Long lasting, might be a sister to tresor. Very flowery also. It's a turbulent poem, with emotion. It might feel like the flowers were under the sun for too long.

Arpège by Lanvin

Even if most people say that Chanel N.5 is the best of the best, i prefer the grandiose of this perfume. It has class, presence and character. The layering of the notes is fantastic and just a bit sexy but not in an offensive way. It smells expensive and very elegant. The EDP sprays wonderfully on the skin, with a delicate mist that provides a very alluring start. The flowers blend smoothly into the base as well, and being with the best sandalwood and musk, what else can you ask for? It has a romantic vein as well with a hint od mistery.I love this when it's nightime and have to feel a bit of an embrace by a fragrance. This one is stronger. If too strong, please go and try the EDT version. I was very happy that it was relaunched. This review is for the EDP new version of Arpege. A classic that speaks volumes without being loud!

Attraction by Lancôme

I don't know why everyone gives this one such a hard time. Yes it's not very interesting and not very classy and not very fresh. It's a bit sweet but it's very much a product with no age and a pretty one too. Much refined than the usual in the same category and even than Lancome's own Miracle pour femme. It has a modern sensuality that is very carefree. Flowery and atractive, that doesn't open new grounds.

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

A nice one , but very boring and not really memorable. For the younger crowd i believe because it doesn't smell "expensive" or "elegant". Very much an everyday scent. I wouldn't wear it because i didnt love it at first sniff. It does have a beachy-sandy quality to it!. The drydown is better.

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

I might have smelled one that was bad, because i can't see why all the great reviews from this one. Good lasting quality, nice scent, but nothing interesting to me,it's casual but i wouldn't wear it.Compared to the wonderful Salvador Dali PH (even thought they are very different in composition and presence), this one pales. I'll pass.Acuatic? ,again as it is with male fragrances, it isn't.

Tabac Man by Mäurer & Wirtz

This must be one of the very worst "tobacco" scents ever.(i don't think it even has tobacco in it). I couldn't deal with it in its entire run and it did last a while on my skin. the only good part of it is that the very end of the drydown is a bit musky and a bit sweet. The fragrance itself feels like a disorderly classroom that has too many bad apples and can't be controlled. They are a bit wild and somebody didn't go to the bathroom either. It smells common as well. It's very fresh at the start i'll give you that. Boring!

Bazar Homme by Christian Lacroix

Boring! yet another "acuatic" fragrance that isn't so. Very bland and uninteresting. Terrible bottle and logo desing as well.

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

Very sweet, synthetic too but not very bad either as there are worse sweet scent out there. Strange but forgettable. Unique i guess. A bit metallic too.

B.Clean Energy by Benetton

A very nice, simple "green" scent that delivers what it says. It's the best of the B.Clean line for me. A rush! Doesn't last too long.

Façonnable Homme by Façonnable

Nasty, not the worst, but not nice at all. Fresh start, warmer middle notes, sweeter base, boring and common. Wouldn't give it another try.

La Saisons: Hiver by Van Cleef & Arpels

This one along with Automme, are my favorites Van Cleef's.The notes include: green lemon, white pepper, cardamom and white musks and somethig else. It's very fresh and very wintery as the name says. It's not "icy" but fresh. Cristals and air. A winner!

La Saisons: Été by Van Cleef & Arpels

Very sweet even more than printemps, fruity as can be. It's warm but not very nice, it has bergamot, musks, muguet and some berries. Its luminosity is nice but it's not what i expected. Not very elegant either.For Van Cleef, that's a no-no.

La Saisons: Printemps by Van Cleef & Arpels

It's not at all spring to me as it is a bit too sweet and a bit too girly, i never thought of spring. It's not too fresh either so it might be a very late spring. Uninteresting and a bit loud.