Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

La Saisons: Automne by Van Cleef & Arpels

This one ia a favorite with Hiver as well. This one has cedar, lilies, sandalwood and heliotrope. It's harmonious and it's very much like a painting of the fall season , a classy one. It really feels like the last rays of the sun are setting on the horizon.
    Nice!

Love In Paris by Nina Ricci

You know, generally speaking, Nina R. makes pretty perfumes, and this one is no different.And it does remind you of Paris! maybe not in love but still...it has jasmine, vanilla, rose peony , green of violet, apricot, woods and star anise. I am very glad that the rose notes are heavier here than the star anise, wich gives it a light sweet-peppery feel and a hint of spicy to make it just a bit different. It also has some musks that blend very well with the rest. At first it might feel a tad too heavy but it smoothes as time passes by to a very nice smell. It's femenine and has the right amount of freshness. This review is for an EDP. I don't know if they make it in EDT.

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

Pretty, nice and very cristal-clear! The flowers are not at all strong, it's smooth to the skin and it flows with a little soapy-clean feeling that turns a bit musky and spicy, a comfort scent. Very long lasting. Beautiful bottle. It has an enchanted forest quality that i really like too, so it's a bit dark even if it looks a bit dreamy. men might like it too since the flowers are not overpowering, some might even have difficulty finding them.

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

This is a well done scent. The bad thing is, for the house of Chanel, i believe it's a new lowpoint. Why? It's very sweet, and the flowers slap you in the face not with the hand, but with the long hair of a too-confident woman that might come off as insolent. Not very lady like. Still it's miles better than the joke that is Euphoria (wich is in the same vein as a sexy frag) by CK. Lasts for hours and hours. The word sensuelle is well utilized here, as it is a sexy one. But it's just on the verge of being easy. Only for confident people! This might be the grown, more womanly sister of Carolina Herrera's 212 sexy.

Adidas Dynamic / Dynamic Pulse by Adidas

If you wait for the dry down, this scent is actually pretty good, blending woods with an aquatic aroma. Out of the bottle though, I find it initially way too harsh; all I can smell is alcohol and all the different notes in sharp disarray.

Adidas Moves by Adidas

Probably my favorite mass-market fragrance, I love the apple and pepper in the top notes. A very fresh, invigorating smell, my only complaint would be its lack of power and longevity. For a cologne of its caliber though, it's pretty impressive.

Pi by Givenchy

My initial impressions of Pi were the same as teflondog's - this smells so edible, "Pie" would have made more sense. Personally, I don't find the vanilla to be overpowering; in fact, I find it smells fairly different from vanilla, as vanilla-based scents usually bore me. Rather, the woodsy heart note compliments the the sweetness to creat an incredibly warm fragrance. Oh, and this has the greatest longevity I have ever encountered in a fragrance by far. Whenever I wear Pi, it's usually not until my second shower that I can no longer pick up on it. I have never had problems with over-application of this myself, as I usually don't spray more than 2-3 times depending on the fragrance, but I can see how one spritz too many could breed contempt; two sprays of this beast should be enough for anyone.

Adventurer by Eddie Bauer

Used to be my favorite fragrance in high school, now when I revisit it I realize how one-dimensional it is... this scent does not evolve on your skin. Still, whatever it is that makes this smell so good to me, I really enjoy the sugary-sweet, fresh, aquatic notes, especially since the stuff is so cheap!

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I agree with foetidus, this is not a fragrance you should sample on a card in the store, as I too was pretty unimpressed with it at first. Upon giving it a proper application, though, I was completely awestruck. This scent is extroardinary! It smells so clean, yet raw and dirty at the same time, as impossible as that sounds. I can see its warm, inviting, spicy aroma applying to pretty much any scenario, as it manages to smell refined without losing any of its "youthful" vigor or seeming outdated. This is and will be one of my top scents for some time!

Tommy Summer Cologne 2005 by Tommy Hilfiger

I find this to be somewhat similar to their True Star for woman, but the masculine basenotes keep it from smelling totally unisex. Very light and fresh, seems to capture fairly well the essence of summer, of watching a sunset on some beach in the Caribbean, a wonderful breeze on your casual clothing. Perhaps I'm slightly biased to these images because I purchased this while on vacation in Florida, but it's what inevitably comes to mind on every sniff.

emmaa88's avatar

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

This is such a pretty fragrance .. there's a note that is just so comforting - in fact, it often helps me to sleep! I was expecting to hate this, since it was such a cheap impulse buy - but I was so pleasantly surprised that I've been using it ever since :) The only downside, and it's a pretty big one, is that it doesn't last as long as I want it to at all - in fact, within about half an hour I can't smell anything at all.

emmaa88's avatar

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I love this! An old boyfriend once wore it, and it's such a sexy fragrance that I bought it for myself. Admittedly, it's not for everyone - I wear it and recieve extremely mixed reviews.

Eau des Îles by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This brew is strong, very sensual, and very exotic with notes of sandalwood, patchoulli, and a hint of bittersweet chocolate in the background. It lasts a long time too. Very well blended. Suitable for evenings out and colder weather. Not for the timid.

Le Dandy by D'Orsay

Absolutely intoxicating, it makes my eyes roll whenever I take a big whiff. Like warm brandied figs with cinnamon. Strong and long lasting. This is perfect for a romantic evening at a bar/restaurant in some tucked away private corner.

Mark Birley for Men by Mark Birley

Ozoney and fresh but nothing terribly unique. Not very long lasting either. I like the initial smell but it loses my attention shortly thereafter.

Ungaro III by Ungaro

Every bit as dark as everyone says. Actually, I was displeased by my first try but gave it another shot based on the reviews (and the fact that I'd made a blind buy of an entire bottle). I realized I was initally put off by its dryness, I am used to having some amount of sweet in my fragrances. Once I got past this and realized what a well crafted scent this I appreciated it much more. It's a very classic smell, nothing else like it. So dark and moody, a perfectly masculine flower. Ideal for staying in on a snowy cold night and listening to The Cure or donning your black leather jacket and enjoying the nightlife. Sometimes I do layer it with something sweeter just to change it up a bit.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Dzing! comes on strong with rubber and smoky dark tea. Eventually the smoky/rubbery smell mellows allowing the cinammon/vanilla/hay to come through. This is amazingly creative and playful, I love it. Be warned: those who don't find the smell of rubbery leather will be put off. Reminds me of SMN's Nostalgia but much less grease-monkeyish (not meant as an insult to Nostalgia). This is a unique and fun smell. You will most likely be the only one in the room wearing it.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

This was my usual "night on the town" scent for a year. Very urban and young. Warm and sensual with just the right amount of figgy spicy/sweetness. It goes well with a leather jacket. I do agree it is similar to Le Dandy but definitely less boozy. Looking forward to more from Mr. Varvatos.

Anice by Etro

The inital sambuca blast is welcoming for anise lovers. Unfortunately this fragrance is fleeting and fades quickly.

Cédre by 06130 Zéro Six Cent-Trente

Cédre is true to its name: cedar and light green with very slight powder. It isnt anything groundbreaking but pleasant nonetheless. I find this to be quite appropriate for anytime of day anytime of year but would probably use it during the day in warmer weather.

White Linen by Estée Lauder

This was my signature fragrance for six years! Bottle after bottle and two bath powders also. A true classic. Clean fresh white linen - it certainly is. Now yearn for a more sophisticated fragrance. Ormonde Jayne maybe.....

Hiris by Hermès

I fell in love with this perfume from the first moment I tried it. Until Eau des Merveilles came along, I wore this fragrance for five years every day to work. Always compliments. Dry, warm, slightly spicy iris notes (which I love) - this perfume always awakens the senses and gives confidence. I was told in 2004 (here in NZ) that it was no longer available and seems to be harder to find now. A sealed box is in my collection.

Je Reviens by Worth

Today recieved a fabulous gift of a vintage Eau De Cologne "Je Revins" 500ml bottle, complete with a quantity of perfume. Bottle has glass stopper with W in the glass. Original blue box. Has been owned by someone who kept it in the box after each use. Perfume is still beautiful, a warm protecting motherly hug fragrance. No hint of rancidity. Such a treasure. Is this a 1932 launch? Round flat bottle.

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

Absolute favourite for the past two years. Fresh and so easy to wear. I adore it. My car seems to have absorbed the fragrance also - greets me upon opening the door! Hmmmm. Also long for the sterling silver pendant with the Parfum. Now available from Hermes website. Also seen on Ebay.

Joel_Cairo's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

A very sift and gentle tobacco fragrance. Not rich pipestyle tobacco, but the actual leaf, sawying in a sunny breeze. Not much for sillage, but very comforting and surprisingly refreshing for something so sweet. Not necessarily formal, IMO, but tending in that direction.

Joel_Cairo's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Great stuff. exotic fruity leather with a woodsy tree-bark like opening. There are more sophisicated versions of this recipe out there, but Varvatos has much to recommend it. A very "grown-up" scent for those in their twenties, but there are better things out there for actual adults. Definately worth a test-drive.

Liquidman's avatar

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

First I really found some similarities with Sables but after I used 10 ml decant. I have gone and have bought it. It seems greater success Dior, level with the Silver Wood to me is. White cologne has turned out faded on their background though the certain style is felt. I not so love a lavender but Black Water it very harmonious, an immortele and vanilla green. Great spicy-fougere!

moondeva's avatar

Replique by Long Lost Perfume

1947 : (Vintage) REPLIQUE!

This amazingly spicy, sexy oriental may have been inspired by Dana Tabu and shares many of trademark attributes of an old school oriental: deep woods and spices over rich but discreet florals over a warm sultry patchouli and vanilla base. www.scentdirect.com lists classics such as Dioressence, Estee Lauder Cinnabar, Basile, Chanel Coco and Karl Largerfeld KL as sister scents, and though similar Replique stands apart in a niche of it's own.

I believe that Replique may also have been the inspiration or at least a strong influence upon many modern day fragrance formulas for men including YSL Opium, Tiffany for men & Balenciaga pour homme. Replique could definitely be worn well by both men and women.

John Oakes in 'The Perfume Book' describes Replique as an elegant deep green, the smell of 'liquid emeralds'. Maybe my Vintage bottle has lost its green notes for I found that though distinctly woody, chypre to my nose, Replique is all about the spice. From the nose storming beginning to the refined elegant end, spices are the major theme of this 1940's scent.

Where Replique shines is that even though it is a full-blooded, red in tooth and claw oriental it is never ostentatious or over blown. Where Tabu can be too much for many due to its heavy emphasis on patchouli, Replique reins in everything with the use of leather and oakmoss in the bases notes making the dry down more elegant (non-powdery) Chypre in nature than dynamite seduction.

I have happily found yet another beauty to add to my arsenal. A full bodied Chypre oriental for Winter and the times when I want rich spice but without the gourmand vanilla of Organza Indecence, Fendi Theorema, etc or the animalistic cat on heat patchouli of Tabu, KL or Bal a Versailles.

Top: Bergamot oil, Clary Sage oil, Coriander, Neroli, Orange,

Heart: Clove Bud oil, Jasmin, Orris, Rose, Tuberose, Ylang-Ylang,

Base: Amber, Civet, Leather, Moss, Musk, Patchouli, Vanilla,

Mr_T's avatar

Anglomania by Vivienne Westwood

Even though this is supposed to be a feminine fragrance, I find that it's rather masculine and tends to smells very nice on male skin. It's got this special something that makes it sexy and mysterious. I'd recommend wearing it for a night out, though it's subtle enough to be worn as an everyday scent.

To fully appreciate the fragrance, you should definitely try it on your skin, as it does smell quite different, depending on what chemistry you have. Also, even though the top notes are very pleasant, the fragrance becomes truly magnetising when it's been on your skin for at least half an hour and the middle and base notes have started to appear.

paras's avatar

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

I think it is a lovely perfume and should make a perfect scent for oriental lovers who are looking for something lighter but do not want to part with a sweet vanillic scent.It will make a perfect scent for summer and for daytime - and can be worn in any occasions. I doubt anybody will find this subtle seducer offensive or unwelcome.