Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

castorpollux's avatar

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

Again, it bothers me a lot that there are so many so-called acuatics out there and none of them really delivers, maybe i'll have to wait. It does smell a bit like vodka at first as it was said in one review, i agree. And it's very fresh and light and doesn't last too long either. It's better on the skin so don't smell it on a scent strip. It has some fruits to it but it's fleeting. It's better than many of the citrus families too. I thought it was going to be better.

castorpollux's avatar

Cumbia Colors Men by Benetton

I thought it was going to be a more exotic scent , given the name "cumbia". It's very much run of the mill male scant, nothing interesting here. It's fresh at the top,and dries down on a sweet-musky note. I didn't care much for it and felt it was simple as well. But since it's generally cheap, i much rather have this one than others on the same range. For everyday i guess.

flee's avatar

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Too much green.had it for 3 years and I haven't wore it 10 times.I don't like it myself the smell makes me sick at times

flee's avatar

Nobile by Gucci

Umm.when I first tried it it was ok and that has been bout 2 months ago and I haven't wore it since.I don't know its just too stout or somethin or as my wife says somethin a older man would wear.I have mixed feelings bout this 1.maybe I need 2 just wear it for a week straight(put it through the test) and see what happens.but right now I hate it but the good reviews that it has on here makes me think maybe it will grow on me...I prefer gucci envy over nobile today

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

Nu Eau de Toilette by Yves Saint Laurent

In fact there are two different scents; there is the EDT: (Bergamot, White Orchid, Jasmine Absolute and Incense Absolute); and EDP: (Bergamot, Wild Orchid, Incense Absolute, and Sandalwood) which are quite different from each other. And, I really
    like them both, but do prefer EDP! EDT is slightly more 'feminine' if you will... AKA not as, (dark and mysterious in my opinion), as EDP (which again I do prefer for myself). But, they are both quite rich and sultry scents that leave you feeling like a mystery waiting to be solved... Mystery... many will attempt... but very few if any will ever solve! So!!! When just in the right 'mood' and you decide to treat your body and senses with something a little out of the bounds of the ordinary... you spray NU on your bare skin and the image of what that woman who wears this scent will look like just appears before your eyes... Raven black hair, deep red lips... (if you have raven black hair, you can get away with wearing deep ruby nail polish too ;) ... and then the sexy black lace undergarments over which only leather will suit the scent of YSL NU in my opinion. So on go the tight black leather pants, and a formfitting black shirt and then... And NU swirling like an alluring goddess out of your every pore with the power to create and power to destroy with merely just a smile... But perhaps NU is entirely something else to other woman, to me however, IT IS WHAT IT IS!... But... (It always makes me feel sexy in a most dark, seductive and mysterious ways... like I said, I cannot wear it without a pair of leather pants LOL)...

Ibiza_Hippie's avatar

Live by Jennifer Lopez

Beautiful. That is just one of the many positive words I'ld use to describe it. It's fruity and fun- kind of like Escada's Rockin' Rio but a lot more sophisticated and subtle. It's something I'ld wear all the time and I always get compliments when I wear this. The staying power is excellent, lasting 2 showers, which is great because I'ld love to smell like this forever.

Indie_Guy's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Palisander by Comme des Garçons

This stuff has more wood than Beavis and Butthead on a morning school bus ride.

But seriously this is the purest wood scent I've ever encountered. It smells just like "Lincoln Logs"-those wooden toy logs that kids build little log cabins out of. I could smell it all day. Palisander is a wonderful fragrance. Never mind the sillage, people around you will get SPLINTERS! Woodpeckers will circle like vultures and people will call you Pinnochio. But kidding aside, its a very intense yet sober rendering of an old wood smell. And the myrrh and hot spices around the corners are so well crafted. Its smells very deep, and very red, and at times, very much like a 2x4.

BTW this one has some similarities with Sequoia, if you like one, be sure to try the other.

leopoldo's avatar

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

This is a gloriously rich and boozy creation but with that Giacobetti touch, meaning it also floats, every nuance seemingly etched out of cloud. It shares the precision of something like 'Tea for Two' but is wholly different as a scent. As soon as it's available in the UK, I'm getting a bottle. Hell, I might even get on the Eurostar for one.

Weekend for Women by Burberry

Just way too sweet, candy sweet--Bought it on impulse in a duty free shop and have kept regretting it. Once I spray it on, I only want to wash it off.

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

This is a wonderful scent that makes me think of blackberries. It's fruity and yet spicy and not too sweet. It lasts well and never fails to get me compliments. Definitely a new favorite. It may be one of those scents that varies a lot on people, because it seems to truly blend with my chemistry to create a wonderful, soft, and delicate feeling.

French Lime Blossom by Jo Malone

Cloying, nasty, ucky. A swanky sales lady at Neiman's kept trying to tell me this was "just the scent for me," based I guess on some instant assessment of my looks and clothing style. Could not have been more mistaken.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I bought a bottle of this on-line after reading all the great reviews on here. Big mistake. On me it smells just like Pine-Sol. It's very sharp and bitter. I much prefer some of the other amber fragrances out there that add more sweetness, like Etro's Ambre.

Grapefruit by Jo Malone

I just love, love, love this scent. The grapefruit is strong but nicely tempered by the other notes. Unfortunately even though I layer it with shower gel AND body cream, it just does not last at all on me (nor do the other Jo Malone fragrances).

Trouble by Boucheron

I tried this when it first came out and just loved it. Then when I had a friend smell it (on me) she said "Smells like root beer" and I've never been able to get that comment out of my mind. My bottle is going to waste now--too bad.

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

Flowery, but just too simplistic and WAY too sweet.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

I bought a 2.5 oz. bottle for around $25. OK deal I guess. I use Curve as an anytime cologne. And im not shy with it. Meaning im not worried about conserving it.
    Curve makes an excellent summer cologne in my opinion. Since its light, although has good staying power on my skin. Just not very potent like I like my colognes.
    Curve would be a great gift if you can't decide what to get. For people 25 and under.

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

I cannot get enough of this stuff. Desire is the best cologne I have smelled recently. I am in love with a cologne. Can't wait to get some.
    Being a love it or hate it, I love it!

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I love Fahrenheit. I bought my first bottle like 4 days ago. I am sure I have smelled Fahrenheit before, I just didn't know what it was.
    It is one of those love it or hate it colognes. I love it. And I recommend it to people of almost all ages. Once you smell it somewhere, you instantly know what it is.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I have a small bottle of Hugo, and can't even get myself to wear it. I loved the smell when I first had this cologne. Maybe 8-10 years ago, and being only 12 years of age. Today, I can't stand the smell, and I most likely wont be caught wearing it again.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Joop! Homme, to me, is one of those Wow! fragrances. Wow, because I say to myself, Wow!, why don't more people like this cologne?. And Wow!, how did someone ever come up with this concoction?
    I first smelled Joop! around 2002. It took me 2-3 smells before I caught on. But when I caught on, I became more addicted to this cologne than I had for any cologne before it! I couldn't get enough of it and I wore it practically everywhere. Many compliments from wearing it. But this bottle wasn't mine.
    After getting more serious about cologne, and 3+ years, I came back to my past favorite, Joop!. I ended up getting a 2.5 oz. bottle for around $35. Not bad I guess.
    The funny part is, I have yet to wear it again. It's like, I like the cologne so much, I dont want to wear it. I just want it to stay on my dresser forever or something, I dont know.
    In about a month, when school starts, I will start wearing it again. I just can't get enough of it.
    A warning though (as has been said over and again)go easy with Joop!. I honestly only used like 1 spray. 2 at the most. This is the only cologne that I have never sprayed directly on my neck. I spray it on my palms then apply.

Nobile by Gucci

I completely agree that Gucci Nobile is a direct relative of Drakkar Noir. Very good fragrance, just not for me (only 21). I might wear this stuff if I was say 30 or older, but it still smells good to me. I have a completely full 4 oz. bottle that I will never use.

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

I like this cologne personally. And it gets a few compliments here and there.
    Vanilla, orange-sicle type smell for me. In a very nice way. Its one of the smells that is easily forgotten about. But when smelled again, you remember what you have been missing.
    For example, I was thinking about getting rid of my bottle with the newest additions to my collection. But today I smelled it again, and its unlike any other cologne I have.

Nautica Competition (new) by Nautica

I got this cologne as a gift. Good thing I did, because I wouldn't pay for this cologne. Very sporty, citrus maybe sweet lime? smell. There isn't anything about this cologne I dislike. It has given me a headache or two before, though. Duration is ok, 5-6 hours for me.

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

The only thing I dont like about Vera Wang, is it's lasting power. I wish it was a little more potent, too.
    Other than that, Vera Wang is a very good fragrance, IMO. Not great, but almost. I would describe it as a crisp woody fragrance at first. Then building up to something very complex. Good stuff, and I recommend it.

Wild Musk by Coty

A great scent, like a light skin musk, reminds me of Creative Scentualizations Perfect Veil, but ultimately very light and fleeting. Eevry time I spray it on the scent disappears in moments...perhaps I'll use it to spray the sheets?

Oropuro by Laura Tonatto

Heavy vanilla oriental scent, reminded me of MPG Or des Indes though not as powdery. A bit too cloying for my tastes.

Raw Vanilla by Coty

Surprisingly good vanilla scent that reminds me of a sweeter version of Biagiotti Roma. Better than it deserves to be but with a slightly synthetic note in the drydown.

Oltre by Laura Tonatto

A harsh astringent oceanic scent that seemed very discordant. Highlighted by notes of pine, lily, seaweed and musk.

M'Oma by Laura Tonatto

Actually, the name is M'Amo, and it's a blend of pear, spearmint and white musk. Recalls L'Artisan Eau de Caporal, but not as good.