Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

scenteur7's avatar

Vaniglia, Bourbon & Mandarino / Vanilla, Bourbon & Mandarin of Sicily by Antica Farmacista

An orange creamsicle, but with a wonderful tangy mandarin note (quite fresh, actually) and an almost buttery, almond-ish bourbon vanilla note. Intoxicating, long-lasting and not too cloying! Antica's best.

Terra by Antica Farmacista

Interesting blend of pine and a creamy (not too sweet) vanilla. Reminds me of Xmas every time I wear it.

Acqua / Water by Antica Farmacista

A wonderful light and fresh marine scent. Very simple composition, yet very effective. Like a Motu Light. Longevity could be a bit better, but it's very easy to wear and very comforting.

Leros by Antica Farmacista

Smells very similar to Polo Sport - nuff said.

truedeluxe's avatar

Eau des 4 Reines by L'Occitane

A clean, fresh rose bouquet, springy and cool, like walking into a florists' refrigerator filled with roses and ripening, tart fruit. Light and modern, not your grandmother's rose sachet smell!

truedeluxe's avatar

Lavender Harvest by L'Occitane

I generally love the L'Occitane lavender, but this smells like lavender smothered in vanilla pudding. Much too sweet and cloying for me!

benb's avatar

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

I am usually not the complaining type. But together with Boss nr 1. This must be the most awful fragrance I have ever smelled.
    benb

eel's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

OMG! This is the worse thing I've ever smelled. With all the rave reviews i was expecting something spectacular. I'm not sure how anyone can like this. It stinks. But then again, I'm not sure how anyone can like Chanel N.5, stinks in the same way. Is age a factor in this? Could be. I think this smells like a dead old aunt.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Envy is 1 of my top frags on my growing roster.you know when you're in a public place and going through a doorway you get a tight squeeze if two people are passing through at the same time.anyway I was comming in the room and this woman was leaving and she was talking to another lady as they were leaving and as envy was upon her she stopped talking and she stood in the doorway for bout 3 seconds and a look on her face as if something had took her breath away.breath taking.....good stuff

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I remember back in the mid 80s.I was in middle school and I fell in love with obsession I wore it and it continued throughout high school and then some.that's the scent people said whenever they smell it somewhere that it reminded them of me..a true seduction.lol I wore it year round and on those summer nights especially in the heat of the moment or whenever the skin heats up that's when obsession steps up and takes over.like it activates something and it shines on rainy days too.I keeps a bottle of this

The Dreamer by Versace

Didn't understand it at first and didn't like it but it grew on me.I understand it nowi get compliments.there was a woman just hanging around me.she was acting mysterious.but then I figured it out that the dreamer had lured her in..its oriental like they say wit some tobacco and sweetness and the top notes I can smell some flower..I have 11 frags and growing I have a top 3 right now and dreamer falls in my top three.

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

I stop wearing it because too many people wears it and I like to be different.I give it thumbs up becaus it does smell good has a fresh scent .besides when I did wear it I got countless comments..now my sons wears it to school.I bet their teachers be sayin "man these boys smell good" and they're in the 3rd and 2nd grade.

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

Sun by Jil Sander

Sun has been one of my top favorite fragrances of all times. On me it opens just with a touch of green and for change I like that, but then right away there is a burst of SUN with the most sensuous floriental notes mixed together just superbly. And the the most exquisite drydown with golden ambery notes that seep through vanilla, mixing most deliciously with Sandalwood and Musk.... Also wherever, I've seen this fragrance advertised I noticed it mentioned that SUN, like the name would suggest it, is best for the summer nights and the outdoors... But, I love it in the winter when the BIGGEST, fluffiest snowflakes are falling and gently lulling in the air as if they were ornaments meant to stay in the air suspended... Sun is just perfect for days like that... I just love the way sunshine glistens like crystals in the snowflakes... JUST a little bit of MAGIC in winter!

green_man's avatar

Imperial Jade Emperor by Agatha Brown

Wow!

'nuff said!

green_man's avatar

Conquest for Men by Agatha Brown

Good stuff. I can really smell the lavender and Tonka bean in this one. It is warm, and seems to mesh very well with my body chemistry. When I first smelled this fragrance, I was instantly reminded of Obsession, even though I haven't smelled Obsession for years. Perhaps it is the warm vanilla note that does it for me. Anyway, it just goes to show that often times, scent can trigger memories easier than any other sense. Hmmm...scent sense...I like that.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Fever pour Homme by Céline

Fever is a very good, new fragrance by Celine. It is a solid warm and spicy scent that has very nice staying power. This seems a real step up from the last Celine for men. It's very well packaged and just may be another big seller for the company. It's definitely worth a try. Joshaugustt

LookinForHappy's avatar

Casmir by Chopard

I wanted very much to like this one, as it is so highly thought of here, however, at first sniff, it was intriguing, but after about 20 minutes on my skin, the only note I could detect was vanilla, vanilla, and more vanilla. I tired of that very quickly and promptly washed it away, which was not easy.

MARKUS74's avatar

Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

Ottima colonia persistente, estremamente maschile alla lavanda cipriata, con un fondo di legni di sandalo, insomma una classica fragranza d'altri tempi.
    Negli anni settanta ha avuto il suo massimo splendore, anche in virtu' dela fatto che la linea-uomo era molto ampia e comprendeva oltre che l'edt in spray o splash, l'after shave, prodotti per rasatura, sapone, doccia-gel, talco, deodoranti stick & spray e addirittura una lozione per capelli!
    In'Italia e' sparita da un po' di anni, all'estero la si trova, ma con la linea-uomo molto ridimensionata.
    Un bel ricordo...molti di voi ricorderanno il bel flacone verde col tappo di legno.

michigan's avatar

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

I adore this fragrance. I know this is listed as a male fragrance however I find this to be extremely flattering on a woman's skin. I wore Spring Flowers for a few years then Chèvrefeuille Original but once I smelled this I was smitten. There is not a single day I am not asked by a man what I am wearing. I have even had several taxi drivers ask me to write down the name so they can purchase for their wives. I would highly recommend this for any woman looking to smell clean and beautiful but not flowery. While your friends may compliment you more on other fragrances (e.g. Spring Flowers), I can guarantee men will notice and appreciate this more.

English Leather by Dana

Light classic leathery cologne, quite fresh in nature for such a 'heavy' type of scent. Unfortunately, especially after all the raves I have seen on here for it, I am finding it very 'meh!’ I live in a very cold climate though and believe that it may come more into its own in spring / summer. Not sure I like the spray version (too much aerosol) and may have to seek out a splash bottle to decant. (I will also look into getting a vintage vintage bottle, with the darker liquid to see if there is a difference in the formulations).

English Leather Lime by Dana

Now this is a truly masculine cologne! Unfortunately, the first thing that came to mind as I opened the bottle was pine detergent. A very smooth, refreshing, expensive / well blended detergent but pine detergent all the same.
    As the cologne warms on the skin this changes and it mellows into a very earthy, woody leather scent which is delightfully masculine, without being butch. I get impressions of the great outdoors: moss, woods, camp fires and a healthy male body shaped and honed by the elements. This cologne reminds me of the smoke, tobacco and leather of Gres Cabochard but without the sweet florals to soften and confuse matters. More unisex in dry down but still assertive. English Leather Lime is a very sexy well-crafted cologne. I would definitely find myself trying to get closer to a man who smelt like this (once the top notes were gone)…yum!

English Leather Musk by Dana

Light subtle, soft 'skin scent' musk that is surprisingly unisex and sexy. I expected it to be more heavy and cloying but this appears to be another warm weather fragrance. I find it a bit 'airy and elusive' at the moment, again probably because of the cold weather, but think it is very similar to and will work well layered with my favourite musk perfume oil - TBS Mostly Musk.

English Leather Spiced by Dana

Oh my! Oh my! I find this delicious and surprisingly rich and long-lasting - especially for cologne. A little goes a long way. The sillage is gorgeous without overpowering. If a man wore this...well I'm not sure I could be held responsible for my actions...but I think the man in question wouldn't be complaining! ;) Luckily for the unsuspecting male population I totally love the way it smells on me even more. I am an unashamed glutton for leather and spice and this rich, leathery spice is heavenly. Again maybe I should blame the cold weather. Amazing alone, I believe this is quite similar to and would be amazing layered with Fendi Theorema, Diesel Zero Plus Masculine, and TBS Woody Sandalwood. I also think it would be pretty amazing layered with YSL Nu / M7 and Donna Karan Black Cashmere. This is a definite winner.

mrliberfarb's avatar

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

M7 was always my favorite... the fragrance that turned me into a fragrance snob, the fragrance that led me to basenotes. But M7 fresh is a gateway to the rest of the world, and M7. Now people can appreciate the beauty of M7 with the accessibility of the citrus aspect in M7 Fresh. I am sure to stockpile in case it gets canceld.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Ugh. Way too sweet, cloyingly so, and absolutely horrible in warm climates. But i got to hand it to them... This is the one Armani scent with great longevity. 2 squirts last all day, which, unfortunately, is not a good thing. :P

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Ugh. This scent is the classic "Dirty old man" cologne. Just waaaaay too 70's!

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Very old. Very classy. Nowadays, very unique. Too bad the smell of soap after my shower lasts longer than this.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

This is definitely a hit-or-miss scent... Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I honestly prefer Fahrenheit Summer over this.

Romance for Men by Ralph Lauren

A very mixed scent.. On one hand, i find it to be quite ordinary... Yet for some reson, girls can pick out this scent in a crowd, and then they'll home in on you.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Oh, lovely. Starts out woody, then settles to a wonderfully musky, masculine smell. Perfect for quiet dates, when you *want* the girl to cuddle up to your and not let go. Fantastic, classy. And the bottle is so huge and heavy that it makes for a great self-defense tool too! ;)