Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

Fahrenheit 0 Degrés by Christian Dior

Interesting, but i honestly find it too citrussy. I prefer the "normal" Fahrenheit Summer.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Very interesting scent... At first it smells fairly normal and boring, nothing special... But give it 30 minutes, let it dry down, then notice the girls start sniffing the air when you walk past. Worth it! :)

Cool Water Frozen by Davidoff

Totally agree with iMaverick... It's like the original, but much, much fresher. Great for warmer climates, like Singapore. :)

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I don't knwo what is is... The smooth caramel, the gentle, perfect iris scent... But somehow, Dior Homme has managed to get the smell and feeling of freshly washed silk sheets, and all the sexy erotic imagery that entails, and bottled it. It's great. I like it. Girls like it.

18 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 21st March, 2006)

wicozani's avatar
    wicozani

Jazz Prestige by Yves Saint Laurent

I'd been toying with my valet for some time now, wearing all manner of obscure and discontinued scents for several weeks. He's a real bugger, though, and was rarely put off the correct trail. This would be no different, for as soon as I turned the corner out of my dressing room he burst forth; "Fabulous choice, Sir! What with the warm sun, your special mint and Earl Grey tea a brewing, and the sandalwood sachet on your dressing room counter! To have you wearing Jazz Prestige again truly warms this curmudgeon's heart."

Jazz Prestige is an obscure gem, sparkling with an effervescent mintiness amidst the bergamot, tobacco and sandalwood! This is quite different from the excellent "standard" Jazz in a very complementary way. Jazz Prestige "feels" closest in character to L'Artisan's Tea for Two, especially at the outset. There is also a touch of rose, and while not listed I believe there to be some patchouli in this one, too. This is an overall excellent scent, and one that I should wear more often.

Wicozani
    Jeff

zenman7's avatar
    zenman7
    Singapore Singapore

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

I walked to the Dior counter quite blind to the press and publicity around the 3 colognes Hedy Slimane had created for the exclusive Dior line and tested Eau Noire 3 weeks ago.. It completely floored me. Almost as if I had finally found myself again in the noise of modern fragrance shallowness... Don't get me wrong, I love Rive Gauche PH, Cartier's Baiser du Dragon, even Dior Homme.. but Eau Noire completely took me by surprise. I waited a few days .. went for another spritz on my wrists.. Then last week went down and got one 125 ml bottle, and one 250... I don't need to describe the beauty of the construction, the masterful restraint and effortless artistry in the blending, everyone else here has. But isn't it great that every once in a while a great artist puts some soul and feeling and beauty into something you can use everyday? Day in and day out :)

absynthium's avatar
    absynthium

Hugo by Hugo Boss

one of the wrost frag i ever smelled in my life,i just cant stand it at all

absynthium's avatar
    absynthium

Spanish Leather by Geo F Trumper

i tested it this morning in a sample i received from geo.f.trumper ,i definitely have to say that i found it so good on my skin ,spicy and long lasting fragrance ,with a touch of british gentlemen style

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A very dark fragrance. Spicy, sensual, sexual. Audacious and shocking in the Lutens manner. Once you acquire the taste, you're hooked.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Thumb correction.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I hated this for a while before I finally "got" it. Now it's an absolute favorite. Truly unlike anything else - it smells burnt, sweet, woody, medicinal. Very manly without falling into any masculine cliches.

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

My favorite Vetiver. Damp and minerally - it reminds me of good Pinot Noir, musty basements, wet stones, a grassy field on a cold misty day. The citrus opening is similar to the bitter orange in Cologne Bigarade. Sharp and peppery.

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Black pepper is one of my favorite notes. How disappointing to discover that this scent is not really about pepper at all, but more about mint, with sickly sweet drydown to boot. Not what I want to smell like.

Tam Dao by Diptyque

A pleasant scent but, like some others, I find this a little too simplistic to wear very often. The lack of evolution is the main problem for me. Almost any scent becomes tedious if it doesn't change all day.

Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I'm gradually falling in love with everything Lutens does. This is a seemingly simple fragrance composed of patchouli and bitter chocolate, but both notes are quite complex in their own right. This patchouli is potent and deep - camphorous at first then increasingly earthy. The chocolate is a dark powdery cocoa. Not a bit sweet. A unlikely marraige made in heaven.

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

Greately surprised , as i hated le male and wanted tu put off the testing of this one for a loong time. I was surprised at how nice it really is. Medium intensity , fruity and flowery with great basenotes.Good job. Better get the EDP but if you go for lighter, then get the EDT ,logically. Cool gutsy bottle.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I totally hate this scent. I can't see why it's so popular. And worse thing is, the people who use this one generally spray a lot of it on them.Very peppery ,very minty , and very very long lasting. Even the basenotes feel harsh. Unforgettable, but i wouldn't like to smell it again. Please not again!Unique packing.

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

Tough call.The scent is ok, nothing out of this world, it's everything you'd expect nowadays for girls: fresh, a bit fruity not so much sugary, light and fleeting, the bottle is beyond tacky, the colours are obvious given the celebrity that endorses it, the spray is a bit funky cause it doesn't spray well, like a mist. But if we are talking about what's really important and that is the smell of it, well i have to say it is nice, and was suprised by how nice it was compared to other celebrity outings. The apples on it a very obvious as is the fressia note. Terrible lasting power.

Paris Hilton for Men by Paris Hilton

Well this one is very very fruity and very strong. I like the fact that it is that way cause there are not many intensely fruity scents for men out there. The bottle is not elegant at all, and the spray is not the best because it feels like it's not misting the fragrance but splashing heavy drops of water. It has some unfinished touch to it and the lasting power is ok but not great either. After the initial splash of fruits, the drydown is very nice, not offensive and comforting too. I have to give it a thumbs up just because i feel it 's gutsy to release this given the celebrity name, the sweetnes of it and the plain fact that the smell doesn't suck, in fact it's quite good.

eel's avatar
    eel

Mûre et Musc Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I tried to like this one. Wore it over and over trying to convince myself that I liked this. I like the Trish McEvoy Blackberry Vanilla Musk, but find it to be too sweet. But this one smells like breath mints, altoids to be exact. What is that? Its blackberry but very masculine.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

Jack Polge did it again. A contemporary fragrance with a classic twist. Pour Monsieur of the new era, true to the original, yet distinct without being tampered on.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Compliments to the chef for this one. Warm and cold. Now what?
    Have had the honour to savour the summer 2006 lighter rendition, which is nice and true to the spirit of the original. What puts me irreversibly off is the blue colour of the fragrance set against the original brown bottle external. Am sticking to the original fragrance (colour) slash bottle. Extreme version will make me even more happy. More than I can wish for.:)

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

Cinema Summer version is a very nice rendition.
    The bottle is a collector's item, the fragrance ditto. Can Cinema go Summer? Pleasently suprisingly yes!

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

Spicy notes, combined with the warm oriental undercurrent enveloped in fruitiness will win you round. Didn't like it first time round, love it now. When did the switch-over occur? Have no idea. It just crept on me.

ikkitosennomusha's avatar
    ikkitosennomusha

Green Valley by Creed

I wanted to like this one and the mint gives a fresh, green character. However, the vanilla musk in the drydown gives me a headache.

KimChi's avatar
    KimChi

FlowerbyKenzo Oriental by Kenzo

The notes are: Bulgarian Rose, Violet, Vanilla, Musk, Sichuan Pepper, Kyara, Chinese Incense.

Kenzo Oriental, to me, is a wonderful fragrance. I like it even better than the original Flower, which is very sweet and quite powdery, but very easy to wear. This one is spicier, woodier, maybe a bit more masculine, but it really works. It opens soft and floral (the Bulgarian Rose and Violet), but begins to dry with the woody incense making an appearance, and soon a slight pepperness. It is very well balanced. It develops nicely, a slight vanilla and woodiness and very little floral lingers towards the end. It last on me for about 4-5 hours and I cannot help but wish this would also be done in an EDP so it would last even longer. This tends to stay relatively close to the skin and can be worn day or night. It is a very comforting fragrance for this time of year, and I think it also has a rather meditative quatility to it. I highly recommend trying this one.

LoneFish's avatar
    LoneFish

Burberry for Women by Burberry

I like this one. It certainly smells edible but I don't find it overbearing like some sweet/fruit scents. It's a nice daytime fragrance to wear when you want to smell nice.

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Suprised nobody's mentioned it, but this is clearly Gaultier's version of a French Vanilla scent. Not very original but... it's rather good though. And well executed too. A female friend used to wear French Vanilla by Dana and when I sampled this at Ulta, that's what it reminded me of. When I first bought it, I couldn't figure out how to open the tin can so I got out the can opener! The scent is pure unalterated vanilla. The sweetness is almost overpowering if applied too much. But just a little bit will lead you to vanilla heaven. The vanilla note pretty much kills the other notes but so what. Cedar? Amber? Cumin? Don't think so. It would be interesting if they would tone down the vanilla note and let the other notes perk up for a follow-up scent. Instead we have the awful Gaultier 2!

Margareta's avatar
    Margareta
    Sweden Sweden

Gucci Eau de Parfum II by Gucci

For me Guccy stands for class and style. I was very dissapointed when I didn't like Guccy Eau de Parfum I. It turns out very lovely after two hours, but them first two hours it is very much too sharp for me. I was so glad when I liked Guccy Eau de Parfum II! It's a very personal fragance. I guess it's the Bitter Orange I'm very fond of. Stays on for very long, too. Thumbs up!

nattygold's avatar
    nattygold

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

I've been wearing Van Cleef& Arpel the entire day.This was a fragrance that I tried back in the 80s. I thought it was fine but just couldn't get with the soapy base notes. Because of reading the BN reviews of VC&A I decided to give it another try. It's great! The soapy base notes are still there but I can now tolerate them.They're actually the mossy musk and frankencense coming through.I love frankencense and musk. This is definitely up there with Bel ami as beinging a great leather scent. A masterpiece that will be a wardrobe staple