Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

skfrmgrl's avatar
    skfrmgrl

True Star Men by Tommy Hilfiger

My immediate reaction brought to mind the scent of new leather (unsure as to why?). The fresh crisp fragrance is not easily forgotten. I was pleasantly surprised how the scent did not dramatically alter as many fragrances do when worn for a while. I am very pleased with this purchase.

steveharrisonmc's avatar
    steveharrisonmc

Corduroy by Zirh

I was really shocked when I first smelled this one. I thought it would be lousy and then the smell seemed familiar. I thought about it and the fragrance came to me. It reminded me of the L'Artisan drydown that I love so much. The Tonka and Cinnamon are wonderful together. You smell like a delicious cake straight from the oven and it lasts a good 7 hours on my skin. Thumbs up.

teflondog's avatar
    teflondog

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

I have to change my opinion from the previous review I wrote about this scent. I've grown to appreciate the funky qualities of Dali. While I initially found it dark, smokey, and brooding; I now consider it a nice woody scent accented with floral notes and liquorice. It still seems "dark" and I haven't changed my mind in that sense. But it isn't something that I find horribly strange anymore. I'd recommend it to people who want a break from the ordinary. Besides, if you're a lover of macho scents from the 80's then this would be a walk in the park for you.

19 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 04 October, 2006)

teflondog's avatar
    teflondog

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

The only part that I like about this scent is the drydown right before it fades away. Everything else doesn't sit well with me. It starts off with a mess of notes and takes quite a while before everything falls into place. It opens up smelling very synthetic and chemically harsh. Later it begins to smell similar to a flat rootbeer float. Finally, the drydown is a soft amber sitting on top of agarwood (which smells like sandalwood to my nose). This part smells excellent but takes a long time before reaching this stage. In terms of longevity and sillage, it excels.

Words's avatar
    Words

Best of Chevignon by Chevignon

I really thought I was going to like this one a lot. With the topnotes described, it seemed to be something I would enjoy. But the boozy fruitiness is a little too slanted to the feminine side. I would probably enjoy this more on my girlfriend.

19 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2010)

blah114's avatar
    blah114

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I like this scent a lot, but it makes me ill after a while.. it's just "animalic.." it is very unique, smells like vanilla, but I would suggest smelling this before you buy it. I am sorry to give it a thumbs down.. because where one person despises this.. many others will love it.

Magnetism by Escada

Love this! The basenotes are intense but not overpowering. Without them, Magnetism might be just another cookie cutter foody floral. I also perceive the soft scent of a powdery rose. An elegant, yet playful fragrance that exudes feminity!

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Very grapefruit-y on me and the grapefruit stays throughout the comings and goings of the other notes. Freesia and peach soften the tang of the citrus. Nice for warm weather - the fruity lightness does not overpower.

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

Incredibly female; this fragrance radiates pure feminity with an air of sophistication. This was the first fragrance I truly "loved" and I still wear it.

Apparition by Ungaro

This fragrance is really quite wonderful however I cannot say that the name does anything to make me want to purchase a bottle. To me, Apparition is a passionate combination of berry and incense, not a "ghost" of a fragrance. Perhaps it is named because it makes it's presence known even if you can't see it. Beautiful but not for me.

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

Young, pretty floral. Just enough other notes to balance. I'm not a Paris Hilton fan but I was impressed with this perfume. Mixes very well with my chemistry. I may just purchase a bottle and quit spraying the tester every time I go to Ulta!

Fantasy by Britney Spears

Simply delicious fragrance with a soft sensuality. I got very little of the fruity notes and went directly to the cupcake note. Vanilla-y woods scent lingered nicely. Very pretty!

Fragrance notes from website:
    Top Notes - Red Lychee, Golden Quince, Exotic Kiwi
    Middle Notes - Cupcakes, White Chocolate Orchid, Jasmine Petals
    Basenotes - Creamy Musk, Orris Root, Sensual Woods

christykat's avatar
    christykat

Hugo Deep Red by Hugo Boss

I don't even know what the exact notes are that I like in this; it just smells sweet and mild (but not meek), and I feel good wearing it. It's one of my boyfriend's favourites on me.

DJB's avatar
    DJB

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Smells cheap and the packaging is tacky.

eel's avatar
    eel

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

Initially this is very strong and overwhelming, but it settles into a warm clean scent. Its kind of soapy at first, but it gets better. A very sexy scent. I normally go for the light crisp florals, but I'd wear this in the evening when i want to stand out a bit more.

eel's avatar
    eel

Love In White by Creed

This is very soft, clean, and feminine. Not overwhelming at all. It stays pretty true to the initial smell, like all creed parfumes, it doesn't seem to change a bit on my skin. Definitely a good everyday where. Its a little softer and warmer then the Spring Flower and less fruity and more floral.

Godeke_Michels's avatar
    Godeke_Michels

Basi Homme by Armand Basi

I just love the black bottle!
    This warm scent is absolutely delightful - very masculine yet mellow and perfumy. It goes into the same direction as Minotaure, but it is more refined and more elegant.

Joshaugustt's avatar
    Joshaugustt

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I had to really wear this scent a few times before deciding if I actually liked it. I've decided that for me...it's a thumbs up. But I can understand why it may not be to everyone's liking. For me...it's a soft, but lingering, fresh, warm scent that is solid through and through. It's worth a try! Joshaugustt

MorningOil's avatar
    MorningOil

Eau des Îles by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I agree with The Bark - but on me, it is precisely EdI's harsher, spicier drydown that makes it work for me (whereas Navagateur comes up too sickly sweet, for all its enthralling opening). This is an excellent, warm, manly, evocative fragrance, gourmand (that delicious dark coffee note) without being too sweet. I recommend it very much.

Rashkae's avatar
    Rashkae

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Ugh, this stuff is awful. It smells like the cheapest green-apple candy you can find. I suppose this scent may appeal to 8-year-olds.

Words's avatar
    Words

Benetton Sport Man by Benetton

Very casual citrus scent. I dont get any florals or wood, just a laid back citrus. Comes in a clear glass bottle wrapped in a rubber casing. A 3.3 oz bottle shouldnt cost you any more than $15 USD. Pretty decent longevity, sillage is average to weak. Would really appreciate a EDP version. ;-)

20th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2010)

Aqua Velva Ice Blue by Williams

I like Aqua Velva and always have. It's light, clean and inoffensive. It is a bit too much at first application but that goes away; and what is left is a pleasant, comfortable scent. Great as an after shave when you have to go paint the boat.

Crown Imperial by Crown Perfumery

Love the opening citrus notes--very refined and elegant. Then it turns into a kind of soapy thing. Not sure if this bottle is old or stale or if the British gents of 1905 really smelled like this. It's not my favorite but I do wear it once in a while.

20th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2006)

Fleur de France by Pinaud

I don't know what the heck the stuff is. I bought it because I was collecting the soon-to-be-discontinued Pinaud long-neck bottles. I bought Fleur de France for $4.99 for 12 oz. It's not a bad scent, but I have no idea what it is. It's kind of a mish-mash of sweetness, but not clearly defined. If you're putting on a clown suit for a kid's party, this is the stuff to wear.

Lime Sec by Pinaud

Of all the Pinaud fragrances, this one is my least favorite. It takes its lime fragrance from hard candy and not from anything off a tree. It's just cloying and awful. Oddly, the lemon fragrance (no longer available) Naturelle Sec, was terrific. Lime Sec (not sec at all, but sick) also is featured in Citrus Musk, which is slightly less awful. Too bad; Pinaud has made some great workaday fragrances, but also some clunkers, such as Lime Sec.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Yes, it's nice, with the characteristic sharp opening notes; but after that it fades to a barely imperceptable scent. I need to try it some more, or apply it more heavily.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

I like this one quite a bit. I bought a decant and wish I had more now. Of the newer Creeds, this is the easiest for me to wear and like. It lasts quite a long time, but not all day. It's got a bracing quality that I like also.

Night Spice by Shulton

Recently found Night Spice on eBay and was very pleasantly surprised. The initial notes were very much Old Spice, but then they softened into a woody floral, a bit reminiscent of Bogner's Deep Forest. This is a very fine fragrance that draws one in with a whisper. I suspect women will love it also.

Cuir de Russie by Creed

Perhaps the most singular of the Creed scents: unlike any of the others. True it doesn't last very long, but it's just wonderful. To say it smells like a brand new saddle is pointing in the right direction but there is so much else going on, that I am really at a loss for words with this.

Musk by Dana

Surprizingly good, though it starts off way too sweet, and I think there is some Tuberose in the mix. However, after an hour it becomes something quite fine, provided one doesn't over-do it. Recommended for that 1960's blast.