Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

David_M's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

At first I was dissapointed when I first tried it, I thought it lacked longevity but after using for over 2 years I realized I was wrong, its actually has quite a staying power, the middle and basenotes seems to get stronger, its the kind of scent that lingers ,the notes are beautiful, people complain about the staying power? fragrance that are overly strong lacks elegance, creeds has the quality of subtlety, pepole seems notice this on, they lean in close to to get a whiff trying to figure out what you are wearing

David_M's avatar

Yacht Man Blue by Myrurgia

Actually I was Looking for "Yatch Man Red", by the way the spelling on basenotes is wrong, is not Yaughtman but "Yatch Man" but its not here, anyway the "Red" smells kinda like the Original Joop except not as sweep and cloying, wears close to the skin, and it has the typical Spanish twist i.e its very manly and virile, the bottle is nice it is shape like a Yatch, I don't have the list of notes but I wish i did

Galbanum's avatar

Prada (new) by Prada

I find it a bit deja vu Western Oriental fragrance. However, cannot wait for the male equivalent to arrive.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

From what I remember, this was a nice scent as long as it was used sparingly. Got good compliments from women. I wore it for years, but changed to Curve since it is milder.

JHL by Aramis

Posssibly the best scent for men ever (at least for me). Women loved it on me. I wore JHL in the early 1980s. Received as a gift. When I went to buy a replacement bottle it was nowhere to be found. About 5 years ago I found a bottle at a mall perfume shop, but I thought maybe it was old. Does anyone know if it available in CT?

Polo by Ralph Lauren

This was the first upscale cologne I ever purchased circa 1986 when I was in college. Polo is a good scent, though not in the "clean" category, and I would not wear it today because it smells the same no matter who wears it. I prefer something that mixes well with body chemistry.

Stetson by Stetson

This was the first cologne I ever purchased. Before that, I used my brother's Old Spice as a standby (I got Canoe, British Sterling and English Leather as gifts, but I guess they did not make enough of a impression). Anyway, I was about to graduate high school and Stetson was popular with teenagers in 1983 since it was not our father's cologne. Very strong smelling which is why I would not wear it now.

Antaeus by Chanel

Jacques Polge is a true-blue genius. It is one of the "better half" of Chanel scents- while quite a few Chanel failed to impress me, this one is undoutedly brilliant! It has this smooth tobacco notes which are never too heavy or sweet and in comparison to other tobacco-leather
    scents it exhales so much more than tobacco. Fresh and herbal tones are perfectly matched with the heavier ones. Sophisticated and very concentrated. I wore only few drops of it one winter evening and my entire appearance changed, adding a touch of elegance and high class to my appearence and a state of pure bliss and wellness to my state of mind, my mood. These few drops lingered afterwards pleasantly for a long time both on my skin and in my mind. It is a typical French-made scent so utterly opulent, dashing, witty,
    hedonistic like French couture(especially by Chanel) will always be.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

The best male fragrance ever!!!

Eau pour Homme, along with Ungaro 3 by Emmanuel Ungaro, is my absolute favorite scent.
    It's the ultimate symbol of timeless elegance, simple stylish and just perfectly crafted. Suitable for every male seeking effortless and flawless class. Its rich citrus flavors combined with a hint of Mediterranean herbs, chypre notes and cedar wood remind me of an Italian Seaside
    or French Riviera landscape from the first olfactory contact. It's exactly the scent i would picture a dandy aristocrat like Don Fabrizio from Lampedusa's novel "The Leopard" would wear- it reminds of a lavish reception in a Baroque palace or a summer in Monte Carlo. That doesn't imply though that this scent is exclusively for old, very sophisticated or wealthy, very formal or eccentric men. It's suitable for almost every man which wants to smell refined and discreet- the rich variety of tones makes almost everyone find something pleasant and inspiring in it, irrespective of age, walk of life or geographical area. You probably can't
    wear it with jeans and t-shirt, but it certainly matches everything from business wear to the most glamorous tuxedo or white tie.
    While the deeper, more woody and spicy(yet never to heavy)tones make it ideal for
    evening wear and colder seasons, the refreshing citrus tones in the beginning also match it perfectly with daytime wear and summer.
    The right scent for somebody who wants a clean and conservative cologne, even for somebody who just started to experience with scents and wants to find the right thing from the first time.
    Armani Eau pour Homme is the ultimate and unquestionable statement of tasteful luxury and circumstance, just like Rolls-Royce cars, Dom Perignon champagne, Swiss watches and chocolates, Cartier jewels (and is almost surrounded by the same mystique and influence in popular culture like the status symbols just mentioned). The discreet everyday companion and the perfect company for very rare and special moments and occasions.
    29 November 2009

21st January, 2006 (Last Edited: 02 April, 2010)

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

I never tought i'd change my rating towards Pur Monsieur, but reapplying it over and over again, giving it new chances to interact with my body chemistry i came to the conclusion this is one of the most distinguished and discreet masculine scents one can still buy today. I would compare it to Aramis, but with a few plus points- it is lighter , but in a good, not vapid way, subtler, less musty and stuffy and more complex than the latter; anyway both scents have a lot in common, they both stand for timless, yet not dated, old-school elegance, they both stand for that kind of refined yet firm masculinity seldomly to be found today, they both seem more formal rather than casual ( but both of them with a tender, twist ), they both have a tasteless and - paradoxically- sophisticated simplicity. I'd just gravitate more towards Pour Monsieur, as it has that certain extra. There are good scents, some of them also deserving thumbs up, and there are sheer masterpieces, standing for a trancendental beauty that is almost impossible to sum up verbally. While aware of this scent's value, i was still hestitating in which of these two groups it would fit best. My problem and my neutral rating came mostly from factors like excessively floral opening, to sweet citrus ( while this very ingredient could be more pungent and fresh ) and perhaps the most unplesant- the too dusty drydown, however my innaccurate perceptions should not influence, especially because after giving it a second, a third try, i realized how innacurate it was. Two choices- i might have smelled these notes as a simple olfactory illusion that rendered me to distort things and to become paranoid about ingredients which are not there, or , while these notes i hated were truly present, the combination did compensate totally, taken isolated they might be unplesant, but the mix exceeds in much more brilliant and captivating ways these displeasures. In other words, i might disagree with some of the components, but as soon as i percieve it as a whole, it's flawless and without any unbalanced edges.
    I think this one smells like pure luxury without being showy or offensive, ever. The opening, in which i identify a faint touch of florals has the quality of not being either gothic floral, as in Ungaro III, nor fleshy, carnal, impudent as in 1881 Amber- two scents that i love and own, yet have this tiny minus point compared to Pour Monsieur, at least for the ones who are not fans of these particular kind of florals. As for the drydown i only identified a touch of dusty and musty roses first, reminescent of Ungaro II. I was wrong again after i got to know it better, while the similarities, but rather marginal, with Ungaro II remain, it is neither stuffy nor offensive is i smelled at frst. Besides, it's way more complex than dusty florals, which, oddly, i can barely smell now, but have been replaced in my olfactory perception as a wide range of perfectly matched chypre notes. If Blenheim Bouquet is aqn exhilariation of pine, this one must be THE exaltation of the finest and least offensive, at the same time most multilayered herbal and woody touches, especially during the drydown. While being elegant and meaninfulyy opulent, yes gentleman, this scent works with opposite sex, but it's not just the strictly physical attraction, probably induced by some timid beginning of edible notes ( but way less edible, sweet and androgynous as today's horrind metrosexual girly boy stenches ) combined with a grassy, energtic, fully masculine yet never brutish, still very decent subtext. I would rate that, while the ladies would first think of bedding and devouring its wearer, they would later also percieve an intellectual and deeper affinity with its lucky waerer, which would not erase, but only magnify and compensate more the initial attraction. That dfoes however not imply that this scent is overtly sexual, animalic, not even that much of a playboy scent- still i guess it is very likely to seduce because all its quality are implicit and never need to show off, therefore suitable for the man that is so self-assured that he can display his charm discreetly and marginally and it still goes without saying that he is the undisputed, yet never too obvious leader both in social and in personal life. It's actually a basic scent and
    while it can spark passions, it makes and overall good, serious and decent impression of maturity and style whatever the occasions to wear it might be - either on a business meeting or the most formal and glasmorous ball among the richest of the super-rich or the most conservative of the last aristocrats, the wearer can never go wrong, as it priojects solid, ultra manly yet ultra gentlemanly values, a true self awareness and self-esteem doubled by gracious yet never false, prudish or submissive modesty, an access to the highest spheres in life yet appering ass the most natural thing in the world, designed for perfection yet never intimidating trough it. Speaking of perfection, this scent has a minor flaw that makes it stop just millimeters short of achieving it, the moderate lasting power, as it survives at most 2-3 hours on my skin, but then again this is not necessarily the scent's fault ( body chemistry and so on )- wihtout this, Pour Monsieur would get from me the perfect Ten, or rather the perfect Eleven plus.

21st January, 2006 (Last Edited: 21st July, 2007)

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Unlike some on here, I DO believe this is a sex-elixir. Not sex of the fluffy, twinkie variety though. This DRIPS with eroticism and masculinity the way nothing else does.

Life Essence by Fendi

A friend described this one as "aggressive". Hmmm...certainly not for everyone in that regard but it is fabulously decadent and makes me think of the hot, rich, older, continental gentleman I hope to meet someday! I use it almost exclusively for celebratory occasions.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

I adore the licorice! The unabashed gourmand quality of this one is disarming and totally approachable.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I wouldn't consider myself a fan of Oriental fragrances, but this one knocks my socks off! It's unexpected and exudes sex appeal like nothing I've experienced from a bottle.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Sexy and warm, like a tweed blazer on a distinguished gentleman...and at the end of the day the leather lingers very nicely.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I couldn't believe how much I thought this smelled like (wait for it) lipstick when I first encountered it. However, it wears very well and the floral quality, while not something I look for in a man's fragrance, is wonderfully refreshing.

Toadmonster's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

There's nothing wrong with it in itself, but for me at least, it's just a bright unadulterated greenness that I can't gel with or get enthusiastic about.

Also I've just got to comment that I did not expect a fragrance named 'Fahrenheit' in a red bottle in a black and red box to smell like freshly cut grass!

Ungaro III by Ungaro

I loved Ungaro III from the very first try. It is a very rich and sophisticated fragrance, but not necessarily as dark as other users described it- it certainly has obviously "dark" oriental, spicy, leathery-wooden tones but wisely counterbalanced and completed by citrus and fruity tones- somewhat like Fahrenheit with a lighter, fruitier and warmer finish. But maybe even the lighter notes harmonize perfectly with the slightly "Gothic" touch of this scent- rather than suggesting fresh fruit and citrus, they rather resemble the scents a Baroque still life with fruits, autumn leaves and wine might remind of - overripe, almost slightly decaying rich grapes, leaves bearing a slightly wooden and smoky undertone, heavily scented desert wines, expensive Oriental incense... I associate with rich golden-brown, slightly melancholic landscapes, textures and colors somewhat like in a Rembrandt painting. The bottle matches this sensation perfectly, its touches of old gold, the purple-violet glass and bottle-cap reminding of red marble is in perfect harmony with the content. A very balsamic and warm, sensual and luxurious version of a Mediterranean-chypre scent.

21st January, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 February, 2011)

apoetic's avatar

Acier Aluminium by Creed

I was expecting great things from a scent so universally praised, but I found Acier Aluminium to be a huge disappointment. The initial blast reminded me distinctly of a freshly cleaned hotel bathroom, talcum powder and unpleasantness. It gets more tolerable as it dries down to a creamy amber, but not enough to redeem it for me.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Mossy smell, long lasting. At first it can be "hard" on sensitive noses, but it warms up after. The price is extremely economical for everyday use.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

A very "generic" smell, but it is not a bad smell. People will not be able tell you are wearing polo blue, thoug, because it is not very unique. A for Lasting long and smelling great. C for unoriginality.

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

Long lasting, great fresh scent. It is long lasting even though it is a light smell

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

I agree- it starts of sickenling sweet, but its dry down is a pretty good combination. It has a long lasting time, but I would recommend putting this on an hour or so before your event.

Romance Silver Men by Ralph Lauren

This fragrance is OK...but it could be better. Personally, I think the fragrance reeks of watermelon; and then dies down instantly into nothingness...Unlike its name; this fragrance is not subtly romantic, but rather in-you-face romantic. Definately recommended for confident people!

Live by Jennifer Lopez

This fragrance is really good! I loved the tester! It smells so sweet, and girly! It is not overpowering, and hints on the subtle side. J.Lo's got it right for once!

True Star Men by Tommy Hilfiger

This fragrance hints on spice; though spice is not in the composition. The obvious references to pop culture will definately be a selling point for the cologne (ie. Enrique, the microphone-shaped-bottle, the guitar-shaped-blotting-paper provided at department stores)... The initial smell is rather putrid; however, once the scent settles in, it is rather good! Kudos to the designers...

Just Me for Men by Paris Hilton

Paris Hilton really knows what she likes her men to smell like! This fragrance is a more masculine reflection of herself. It is rather floral and fruity, but at times smell like boiled candy. This fragrance features a heavy watermelon scent; and unfotunately does not get balance out by any other scent! However, kudos to Paris for trying.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

One of my favorites. I tend to like colognes that have been around for at least 20 years so I was surprised how well I liked this one. I keep at least 5 scents on hand and this is one of them.

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

One of the best kept secrets is that Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is a bargain. A quite pleasant cologne that is as good as some of the department store colognes. Can be found at some discount stores and drug stores for about half the price of Polo for example.

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

I had a sample vial of this in the early 80s. I remember women liking it a lot on me, but I was not able to afford to purchase it at the time. I forgot all about it, but I plan to finally purchase it as long as it smells the same.