Latest Perfume Reviews

Kimono Rose by Bois 1920

I’ve tended to avoid rose perfumes, largely because growing up, most of the rose perfumes (and other products, for that matter) I came across were horrifyingly sickly sweet. Lately though, for different reasons, I’ve been making myself try more rose products, and I’ve been delightfully surprised. As a skin care product, I’ve got to say it can’t be beaten. And some of the modern rose perfumes I’ve come across have completely changed my mind about rose scents. They are light years away from those horrid, screechy, synthetic, sickly rose perfumes I remember from my childhood. This one here is a little gem. There is nothing synthetic or screechy about this – it’s lovely; a quiet, gentle, refined, soft rose. The bergamot and bamboo stop this from being too sweet, while the amber and cedar give this a beautiful warmth. Every time I take a sniff of this, I feel like I’m sitting in the centre of a big, plump, pink rose – not being overpowered by the scent, just gently surrounded by it. I wonder if that’s what bees feel like, when they’re going about their business in a rose garden? If this is what they get, then they’re lucky little guys. This is simply beautiful.
22nd October, 2016

Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

Romeo Gigli is a sweet, smoky fragrance that took me a couple wearings to appreciate, although I'm not sure why. Something was throwing me off initially, the woods in the base, perhaps, were coming off as sour. I'm now finding it slightly similar in style to Chanel Allure Homme in the top and Chanel Egoiste in the base, both of which I like, and I appreciate the descriptions below of a plum smell!
21st October, 2016 (last edited: 22nd October, 2016)

Elvis by Elvis Presley by Frances Denney

Stardate 20161021:

A nice retro animalic the likes of Boss No 1.
Has a mish mash of notes - tea/tobacco, cider and animalic.
Longevity and projection not so great.

Cheap and decent.

If you like Boss no 1 , Madras, Giorgio BH you should try this out but these three (vintage version of course)are better imo

Kouros Fraîcheur by Yves Saint Laurent

Beautiful opening, a much less animalic version of Kouros, and a completely different opening with delicious, masculine citrus, and quite different overall for a flanker, comfortably wearable and good for the office with a shaving cream or barber shop feel.

Soho by Bond No. 9

Soho is a Madame who wears Bond no 9 B9; this fall season she adds a large hat covered in orange flowers to her outfit.

Wherever she goes, her presence is noted leaving a cloud of her fragrance.

Vétiver Moloko by Ex Nihilo

On my skin the vetiver is present from the beginning; a clean vetiver, quite bright with no significant earthiness or harsh sides. Combined with a somewhat underwhelming bergamot, it is quite a pleasant entry combination.

In the drydown woodsy accords combines with a rise impression, which remains rather subdued jolds back too much to make a truly lasting impression. There is an agreeable but somewhat unexciting vanilla added towards the end, which is well executed nonetheless. I get, however, very little of the milky way promised in the name.

The sillage is moderate, the projection very good and the longevity eight hours.

Like so often, the top notes are the most convincing part of the development of this creation, and in this case nomen est omen indeed - this is a vetiver-centred spring scent, at least for them first half. The rest is somewhat inferior overall, but the pleasant albeit a bit standard vanilla as well as the solid quality of the ingredients sees it through to cross the line to a positive score - albeit just by the skin of its teeth. 3/5.

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is much more ambery on me than the Ambre Dore, which I tried recently. The lavender and nutmeg are right there at the opening, along with a slightly dusty, woody note. This seems more unisex that the Ambre Dore – it’s a bit spicier, but still a lovely, warm amber scent. I like it, but alas, it seems that this is another scent that my skin eats – it seemed to disappear after only a few hours. Beautiful while it lasted though.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm trying the original version of Kouros, and it's an interesting fragrance with an exciting, animalic opening. The urinous note is not so different from vintage Boss No. 1, which I enjoy. Some moments in the early development are reminiscent of an overused urinal, with an air freshener trying to offset the smell, but as it develops, it's nicer, and smells like an ambitious animalic floral. Into the base, it's an interesting woody fragrance, with a hint of animalic in the background. Overall, a marginal thumbs up, with my preference for something in this vein being vintage Boss.
RHM Show all reviews

Central Park West by Bond No. 9

One of the few big white floral fragrances I wear & actually enjoy. My skin turns FRACAS into a demure (not a typo) floral. So it is great to find a great white flora that stays "big" on me.

I get many, many compliments when I wear this. That doesn't happen often, so it's pleasant when it does.

Tobacco Absolute by Molton Brown

A truly beautiful tobacco accord achieved by simply mixing the tobacco note with leather and woods while maintaining a sort of transparency -- it never feels heavy. The top notes are so fleeting, I can't describe them especially any hints of grapefruit.

The fragrance performs well for me in all aspects and all for under £40. I would rather have 4 bottles of this than 75ml of Tabarome and most other niche 'tobacco' fragrances actually.

Cédrat Enivrant by Atelier Cologne

One of the most wonderful citric openings ever -- a lime and bergamot accord to die for.

It is an out-and-out 'citrus' fragrance imo with just small nods to herbs and woods later on. I don't get any spicy aspects.

Great sillage and longevity. There is no downside.

Prada L'Homme by Prada

Well, Prada seem to have run out of ideas and are chasing a winning formula only.

This is Dior Homme minus the 'lipsticky' element.

Just reinforces the idea that these Designer Houses have of male fragrance buyers, i.e. that we are all mindless sheep.

This deserves to 'tank'

Ambre Doré by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is lovely. When it first went on, it smelt quite green and herby, but after a couple of minutes, I got a lot of the myrrh and the sandalwood. Combined with the clary sage and the agarwood (which I like ALOT) it’s a lovely combination – all of these notes play so beautifully together. After around four hours wear, it had softened into a cosy, warm, almost creamy amber scent. I don’t believe in allocating perfumes to a particular season or time (I firmly believe that if you like it, and it smells good on you, then you should enjoy it and wear it whenever and wherever you like) but I could see this being a lovely autumn or winter scent – this is so warm and soft, it brings to mind cool, crisp breezes and soft snuggly jumpers. A winner.

Fleur Narcotique by Ex Nihilo

A bergamot opening embedded in a white floral blend - I get peony and hints of of lily-of-the-valley above all. This is given a nice twist with an infusion of a fresh-peachy aroma that balances out the floral side very pleasantly.

In the drydown the white florals move into the foreground, with a subtle jasmine, orange blossoms and a creamy foundation underneath, but less intensive than the top notes. The base continues the same theme, with nonspecific woodsy and light musky aromas added to it.

I get moderate sillage, adequate projection and five hours of longevity on my skin.

A not very original but otherwise impeccable floral-fruity opening, delicate but smooth and slightly creamy, especially later in the drydown. Unfortunately, the later development on my skin is flatter, more colourless, and the base is disappointing. Overall I struggle to get this into the positive realm. 2.75/5.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens

Stardate 20161019:

A nice Amber fragrance with some vanilla in it. A bit dirtier than most Ambers.

A reference masculine Amber. Enough said.

FB Worthy

Braggi by Long Lost Perfume

Braggi is a dark, warm, powdery fragrance. It has a substantial feel, as if oak moss and patchouli are part of the formula, and the description of leathery tobacco matches the smooth warmth of the fragrance. For what I have in my collection, this reminds me most of Bel Ami, although this is more powdery, and I also get a hint of the Paco Rabanne Pour Homme soapiness.

Oud Vendôme by Ex Nihilo

Ginger and saffron galore indeed - a smooth and slightly fuzzy saffron, not the more intense version of Comptoir Pacifique's Sultan Safran.

The ginger has a crisp edge that has synthetic-sharpish characteristics and is a bit more of the usual ilk - not the richer juicier ginger that is present in Creed's Tabarôme Millesimé - but it is not badly done, and works quite well with the saffron here.

Gradually the gingery note morphs by adding the oud, which gradually grows stronger and blends in with the he ginger, to revolve into the main component by the time the base notes unfold. This is a far cry from the hyperaggresive-superchemical oud attacks on is exposed to so frequently these days.

Galbanum is added at the begin of the heart notes, as is a soft, gentle and refreshingly unobtrusive incense impression that never pushes into the limelight - a glowing, intense but restrainedly low-key incense endowed with touches of elegance. No aggressive peppers, no ceremonial pomp, no exotic market aromas, and no medicinal undertones - this is a pared-down and convincingly focused velvety incense that blends in beautifully with the rest.

Initially accompanied by a gentle musky undertone, this delightfully wood-infused incense forms the core notes in the base phase on my skin.

I get moderate sillage, excellent projection and a supreme fourteen hours of longevity on my skin.

This wintery oud-incense creation is unusually balanced and well executed; and whilst it is creative only for part of its development, it is overall surprisingly well made. 3.5/5.

Woto by Deviline

A nice, powdery, creamy oak moss fragrance with a light sweetness, and maybe a dash of musk, a little like Chanel No. 19, but with a darker powder smell, more masculine and complex.

Pasha by Cartier

Stardate 20161018:

A good affordable classic masculine aromatic fougere.

This is one of the few cases where reformulation is well done and you should be fine with any version. The vintage is smoother but new one projects more. They both last a workday. The spicy note is more prominent in the current version whereas the base in vintage shines through more as spices take a back stage. So if that cumin BO note bothers you, vintage might work better for you.

The structure is that of an aromatic fougere and if you have tried Safari, Tsar, Jazz you should know what to expect.

Can be had for under $30/100ml - a no brainer.

Bois d’Hiver by Ex Nihilo

Cardamom, cyclamen and heliotropes - and that with a dash of light pepper - resulting in a pleasant dish of top notes. Quite original and well balanced, with the pepper being quite restrained and more a condiment than in the foreground. This is not a heavily spicy opening.

The drydown and floral undertones, a soft patchouli above all, and is followed by mixed woods that lead into - and later on dominate - the base. They are mainly cedar, a light cedar without any heavy pencil shavings.

This base lingers on, pleasantly woody and fades gradually.

I get moderate sillage, good projection and eleven hours of longevity on my skin.

An agreeable autumn creation, well blended, a touch creative in the opening and well balanced, with the synthetic notes not overtly chemical. 3.25/5.
Oviatt Show all reviews

Patou Pour Homme (new) by Jean Patou

The dictionary tells us that a sacred cow is an idiom that represents an idea, custom, or institution held, especially unreasonably, to be above criticism (with reference to the Hindus' respect for the cow as a sacred animal). Jean Kerleo’s 1980 Patou Pour Homme is a sacred cow if ever there was one.

Interestingly, when Patou Pour Homme was first released, it was not a big hit and, like the writer John Kennedy O’Toole, only received acclaim and adoration after its death. Patou made an attempt at product placement, positioning it as Don Johnson’s signature scent in Miami Vice, but it never took off, despite its brilliance. Discontinued, it became the Holy Grail of vintage perfume collectors, demanding prices commensurate with its demand.

Fast forward to 2014 when the House of Patou, under its new owners Shaneel Enterprises, reissued this mythical fragrance as part of their Collection Heritage under the direction of house perfumer Thomas Fontaine. This was huge news and eagerly awaited by the perfume community who sharpened their knives and were prepared to use them, should the reformulation fall short of expectations. The only other relaunch as keenly scrutinized has been the relaunch of another sacred cow, Helmut Lang’s Cuiron.

The relaunched scent is currently available and is very good—very good, indeed. Is it as good as Kerleo’s masterpiece? Far be it from me to say….

What I can say is that the new scent, in an IFRA-dominated word, has lost its oakmoss and Mysore sandalwood—well, that is no surprise—and gained a floral heart with lavender, jasmine, rose and violet joining the lineup, edging out the original vetiver, cedar patchouli and clary sage. These floral notes are more commonly used in feminine perfumes and the rose/jasmine accord is almost a house note for Patou, whose landmark perfume, Joy, is based on it.

Has Patou Pour Homme been emasculated, or just brought into the current age? The new scent is completely wearable now and while it may not have the richness and complexity of the original—or its resolutely masculine edge—it is beautiful, rich and expensive smelling. The spicy top notes of pepper are freshened by citrus and galbanum. A floral heart emerges that might once have seemed too feminine but now feels comfortably masculine. The base of leather and patchouli, while it does not compare to the woods and moss in the original, provides a warm, lingering drydown.

The reformulated Patou Pour Homme may no longer walk on water but it is still a very good scent—no longer a sacred cow, but just a quality, distinctive men’s scent. This could easily find a following in the market the way that the original never did; it has come out from under a bell jar and into our time. Seekers of perfection will continue their quest for vintage juice, but if you have not tried the original, try this—it is very good.

17th October, 2016 (last edited: 19th October, 2016)

cK one Summer 2016 by Calvin Klein

Wow...I bought this for $20, but I'm still disappointed! Doesn't last but a few minutes on my skin, and it's not really very interesting. Oh well....You win some, you lose some.... :)

Collection Homme Fruit de Bois by Jean-Charles Brosseau

There's not much here that's particularly compelling. It's fine, but more adequate than especially satisfying.

The opening smell is fun - toothpasty mint and brown tea with a vague red fruity component, topped with nostril-killing metallic lavender. The end result is one of those perfumes that knocks out my nose, rendering it very difficult to smell on myself, while I'm conscious that it's still billowing around me.

In all, I don't like perfumes that perform like this - Frankly, I want to smell myself. As for the actual smell of Fruit de Bois, it's fine, but not great enough to be worth all the effort. Meh.

Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

For the life of me, I can't see why this is labeled a warm weather option OR feminine. This is unisex in my opinion. Warm weather with this....better suited for the fall. The notes here are Bergamot,Lemon,Violet and Black amber with some Vetiver. That gives this a warm and toasty projection almost like a caramel apple. That sounds like something you'd enjoy in the fall to me.

As with any Byredo product- it's top notch. This isn't like what you'll find anywhere else. It's unique.

I could rant and rave, but in the end once you smell it you're going to get it. Case closed.

Pasha Edition Noire by Cartier

Don't let people tell you there's nothing going on with this house. They're wrong. I found this at Neiman Marcus and was surprised. This is a strong office friendly scent, but it's good for a night out as well. Not too heavy in any area, but it is woodsy. Elegant bottle design and a great atomizer. Two sprays are more than enough. This is safe for any situation.

I get about 5-6 hours before it becomes a skin scent with a moderate projection.

Encre Noire Sport by Lalique

I got this as a blind buy, having no idea what the original Encre Noire smelled like. This has a lot of watery/aquatic notes, but you will get hit with more of the Haitian vetiver and Cashmere wood on the dry down.

I could see some women pulling this off thanks in part to the Musk and Lavender. So yes, there is a slight feminine edge to this not so much that a guy would feel that this isn't for him.

This works great in the long hot days of summer.

Coco Blanc by House of Matriarch

Like many perfume snobs, I tend to not like gourmands that much, but Coco Blanc is weird enough to keep me happy, while also being gloriously edible.

The coconut smells like that dried, shredded coconut used in baking, coated with sugar and vanilla frosting. Meanwhile, there's a woody element, made strangely sweaty and meaty with quite a bit of cumin. The result of this is one of those mixes that shouldn't work - the olfactory equivalent of mixing German chocolate cake frosting in a forest with an extremely sweaty guy holding taco meat. It should be just dreadful, but is somehow not just compelling in its weirdness, but actually kind of beautiful.

No. 5 by Chanel

I feel like I should be writing some sort of complicated review comparing all the concentrations and version of No. 5, but really, I love the extrait. That was the first version I tried and the version I ended up buying.

I think it's essentially an example of a perfect perfume. The topnotes (sparkly lemon champagne and powder), the mid notes (soapy flowers deepened with clove and spices), and the base (super-creamy, rich musks and sandalwood over a full chypre base) are all great. And the way the different themes interact with each other as the day goes on are always gorgeous and carry an engineered precision that is almost impossibly complex but also achingly beautiful.

Required sniffing.

Basil & Neroli by Jo Malone

This is one of those big green colognes you get when you mix neroli and vetiver, clearly based on the Mugler Cologne/Creed Original Vetiver recipe. Basil & Neroli adds a lot of white soapy musk to the mix, so the end result is a lot like Irish Spring soap. It's fairly linear, though it's brighter at first and becomes darker as the vetiver moves forward in the mix as the day progresses.

This is nice, the kind of scent that manages to be a crowd pleaser without dumbing itself down. Nothing original here, but I've enjoyed wearing it.

Italian Citrus by Panah London

I tried Italian Citrus and was impressed by its initial spray. I have smelt a lot of citrus based fragrances some of them being too synthetic and some being to over cloying making it unbearable. I can tell this fragrance has a sensational opening and remains there for the first 2-3 hours then gradually starts releasing the vetiver , sandalwood and musky vibes.

I totally agree with the reviewer above (SenoritaInde) in terms of the unique lemony opening and by far it is was my signature summer scent for London Summers. Its a complement to be asked by your work mates what fragrance you are wearing. On my skin its stays 7+ hrs and I tend to get whiffs of the fragrance as my body heats up now and then.
Having used Italian Citrus for almost 2 months now i can vouch for the authenticity and uniqueness of this fragrance.... Eager to try other fragrances from Panah London

Originality and Overall scent: 9/10