Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

Rebel by Oriflame

Oriflame had its ups and downs, but Rebel is truly a masterpiece.
    It is a classic , almost acid chypre-citrus-leathery scent, almost comparable to the couture classics of the genre. The name doesn't promote antisocial anarchistic values, it rather reminds me of the classic 50's silver screen rebells like James Dean or Marlon Brando, with their leather jackets, clean-cut denim, half mod half rocker attitude and impossibly to imagine without a Harley motorcycle or a sporty vintage roadster.
    It smells leathery and reminds me of leather. First dry ,sparkling lemon and herbal notes after a while richer wooden, musky, cedar notes leave an almost Baroque, solar feeling on my skin.
    The classic citrus-cedar-chypre-leather combination brilliantly revisited. Even the bottle is classic, puristic and highly decorative due to a slightly vintage design, making me want to keep it long after the fragrance was used.

23 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 09 February, 2011)

Esencia Loewe by Loewe

My first encounter with Esencia Loewe was rather unsavory in during the first seconds its drops touched my skin. At first i felt something far too oily, alcoholic and suffocating, even more than with other scents-considering that almost every scent produces such reactions at first.
    But after it interacted with my skin for a while i fell in love with the chypre notes evolving towards an almost smokey woody-leather background, with a touch of coniferous resins, vetiver and pine and all the green-camphor warmth brought about by these three ingredients. The classical citrus-cedar combination is here almost as accomplished as in the case of Eau Sauvage and some timeless masterpieces of chypre by Armani, Gucci and Paco Rabanne.
    So typically Spanish and Mediterranean...

23 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 February, 2011)

Citrus Musk by Pinaud

A very good lemon/lime/musk fragrance in my opinion. I've only used the aftershave, so I can't really testify to the longeivity of this fragrance. My barbershop sells this line of products so I've enjoyed them for years.

Clubman by Pinaud

Such a great scent. I'm a fan of the old school colognes, and this is one of the best. Definitely reminiscent of barber shops as they sell the Pinaud line of products at my barbershop.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Excellent stuff. For me it's good for any occasion from work to formal to casual. Not that many people around here wear it, so I don't have to worry about it being so common and popular.

Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

I didn't like this one as much as green Polo. It's definitely a very quality fragrance; maybe it's just my skin chemistry.

Eggberj's avatar
    Eggberj

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Quite nice in the top notes and even the middle notes, but on my skin, I do agree that in the drydown, all I could smell was animal urine. I suppose this fragrance would be OK if you kept reapplying every hour or so to keep the drydown from appearing. Serge Lutens has much more pleasing offerings, such as Chergui and Daim Blond. Not sure what he was thinking here...

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

To me, this is still the Benchmark aquatic scent. I tried a number of other different ones, but this one remains the best for it's non-cloying subtleness, a nice mix of sweetness and freshness. It's certainly not the scent for one who wants to stand out, but if you don't care about that (like I don't), it's a great, light marine scent.
    P.S.: No sour drydown on me either.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Chalk up one more headache victim.
    I read about people getting migraine from it on another forum as well, so I would definitely disadvise this as a present. The chance seems comparatively high that person will not be able to wear this scent. Maybe try one of the myriad of less cloying aquatics.

Emporio Armani City Glam for Him by Giorgio Armani

I agree with scenteur7, this could really have been a nice new take on armani white he - if it only wouldn't vanish after five minutes.
    Try white instead.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Smells like cookies or creamy cake to me. If it had a more masculine character (read: If it wasn't a unisex fragrance) I would have liked it better.
    On a woman, in the evening, yes. On me, no, I'll stick to Le Mâle (yes hate me for that).

flathorn's avatar
    flathorn

Barbier des Isles by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

While I'm not a fan of most of this line (too much sweetness, fruit and tropical cliches), I like their earthier fragrances. I'm sort of addicted to the main note of Barbier Des Isles. It's not a fragrance I wear anyplace (I wear it for myself at home), and I've never received a compliment on it, but sometimes when I'm bored with my more traditional and often-used fragrances, BDI sort of clears my jaded olfactory senses, and resets my nose, and at times like that I enjoy it immensely. I always thought it had an unusual main note the ingredient list didn't explain, and after trying several Oud fragrances recently, it struck me BDI has a similar note. Barbier Des Isles gives me the impression of the dark hot dryness of equatorial loam and non-sweet raisins.
    Ingredients: Bergamot, Orange, Jasmine, Incense, Clove, Patchouli, Wood of Myrrh, Bois de rose, Vetiver, and Musk.

flee's avatar
    flee

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

When you first encounter 360 yes its too loud and all but listen..after its applied and a half hour you will arrive to a beautiful place where a light wind blows and the water is as blue as the 360 you applied. Just leave all your worries behind for a while till you get back. But you have to let your mind take you to that place , the scent is there isn't it..

Francoise_Papiran's avatar
    Francoise_Papiran

Envy for Men by Gucci

Very superb cologne; elegant, sophisticated, sexy, long lasting, attractive and sober. Masculinity at its best. Simply top notch cologne.

The drydown on this is the best I've encountered and smells like a different (even better) cologne after a good 10 minutes. This fragrance has a spicy undernote that transforms into a sublime fragrance. Amazing drydown of incense and vanilla, spiced up by nutmeg and some other warm notes.

Better recommended for evening wear or romantic time but if you work at a formal environment (suit wear), use it if you feel comfortable (one sprit is sufficient).

Fufururu's avatar
    Fufururu

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

I do think Silver Shadow was quite an unremarkable scent, however the Pure Blend EDT is quite different. The extra note of cinnamon really comes through. It's not as bitter, sweet but not overdoing it. However, the price for it is a bit high.

iMaverick's avatar
    iMaverick

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

Strange story behind this one, I picked up the wrong bottle of Zero Plus, the feminine version, being that I was curious what it was all about, I opened the plastic case anyway and spritzed myself some, not a big loss if it wasn't any good, because I spent $12.99 for it. Interesting soft coconut scent, but won't be wearing it anytime soon in public, but it wasn't something I couldn't think of being in my collection either.

As for the Masculine version, the wait was worth it, fate made sure I had a 75 ml bottle in my arsenal. Being a blind buy, I didn't know what to expect, even if it had all the fragrance notes that would make me swoon in all anticipation of its rich, sweet, and tasty amalgamation. It opens strong and gaseous smelling like air rushing through an automatic tire pump, the synthetic cinnamon pure and forceful. Then you get an interesting burst of powdery notes with the cinnamon, like sniffing at the Cinnamon dusted topping of one of Krispie Kreme's creations, you wonder if you'll ever survive the dagger of spice entering your nostrils. The storm calms, and becomes a sweet, smooth, spiced and creme-filled bun that makes you want to eat...ahem, sniff more! The jasmine, rose, and sweet brightness of cardamom definitely takes the sharp edge off this spicy blend.

This sweet dessert is guilt-free with ZERO CALORIES! Like how my fellow Basenoter duxie, reiterates the cheerful addage, "You'll never gain weight from a doughnut hole." It's a good thing, because I'm about to break open this bottle and pour it over ice...Horchata anyone???

Chevalier d'Orsay by D'Orsay

Well, a reasonable interval has passed since my "neutral" review of Chevalier D'Orsay, and after the passage of a year, I must change my vote to an enthusiastic thumbs up! The reason for this change had nothing to do with an adjustment in my sense of the Cd'O that I purchased; it was the fact that I tried and ended up purchasing a new 100ml bottle in NYC that smelled much better than the smaller bottle I had previously bought on-line. The web product was sweeter and more subdued, nice but not really great, and was a little too feminine for me. In fact, I believe it was an old bottle, and "past its sell by date". The bottle from Bergdorf's was made up of mostly of the same notes, but was fresh with a more dominant lavender and other "masculine" elements completely changed the overall accord for me, and gave it a sharper edge. This new bottle is a great fragrance, and it is now one of my signature fragrances. Rich, warm, subtle, but not tired and truly wonderful. I agree with all the positive reviews that came before, and disavow my prior vote,based upon this newly discovered "evidence". The appeal is granted. Chevalier d'Orsay wins. Right has been done.

24 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2009)

Sandalwood by Taylor of Old Bond Street

Taylor of Old Bond St. Sandalwood is a moderately rich, soapy sandalwood fragrance with a hint of rose in it. The longevity is about 3-4 hours, with moderate to heavy projection for the first hour or so, after which it hovers close to the skin. Recommended for mature audiences or young fogeys only. Works well with tweeds and Lacoste tennis shirts. If you think of wearing this for "clubbing" it had better be the university club or gentlemen's lunch club.

24 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 06 June, 2008)

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

I am very captivated by LV Uomo, and I think it is one of the best mens fragrances on the market. It is, I guess, a citrus fragrance, but the vetiver, neroli, patchouli; as well as seductive layer/s of rosewood and/or sandalwood, add incredible complexity, depth and an incense-like haze that is IMHO unheard of in a citrus fragrances. It is very interesting to study what Maestro Villoresi did in developing the fragrances he created in the "blue bottle" line. Hein started with Uomo and then subsequently mae the other creations in this classic line. Uomo has all the elements that he later singled out in his those creations such as Sandalo, Incensi and Vetiver, etc... There were all in that first great fragrance as an astonishing burst of creative energy with all the essential notes he loves, then inspired by Uomo, he broke them down, and singled out certain of those notes for discrete renditions in his later fragrances in this line. Most creators would make the individual fragrances and then later on in a career, add them together as a summation of the creative experience-- the final statement. Villoresi did the opposite. It is fantastic! Yet, this fragrance will not startle one; it doesn't shout its special-ness. It awaits recognition of its unique qualities. I usually associate citrus frags with the warmer months, but I think Uomo would honor the wearer anytime of the year, it is such an amalgamation of hot and cold elements, but perhaps it would be best in the variable climate of the transitional seasons, Fall and Spring. Highly recommended and treasured, now, in my collection for years.

24 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2009)

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Had to try this one, as it has achieved what could only be called "cult status" for many. Well, I have to say it is amazing how the fragrance morphs from sharp pepper to nutmeg and ginger bread. I think that on me the lingering essence is the nutmeg, and all I can think about is cookies. Not good when you are on a diet, but you have to admire LV for his unique approach to blending essences. Not for me, but very singular, and could well be a classic in the making.

Je Reviens by Worth

This scent named like tha sailboat from Daphe de Maurier's novel "Rebecca" is just sheer perfection on female skin. I love this smell on women due to its timeless perfection and accomplished balance between light floral notes and heavier Oriental ones.

Adidas Classic / Classic Blue by Adidas

I remember this one as very cheap scent that smelled good..and quite expensive. The typical chypre pattern- beginning with citrus and ending with notes of amber, musk, patchouli and cedar. This one smelled very little synthetic and even developed a partly tobacco-like, partly woody, partly-incense like leathery touch after a while.

24 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 06 September, 2009)

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

Dark and lush like an unexplored exotic territory. I don't know why so many people don't like it, i suppose it's the too heavy tobacco note. Actually it's a quite good scent, it's ingredients being high quality and well combined.
    When i first got a bottle of it was so enthusiastic about it and almost instantly i felt much more sensual and attractive than ever before. But i also discovered another quality of Drakkar- for me it worked extremely well as an aid for oncentration and intellectual work. Its heavy, smoky tones must have an almost spiritual, mystical aura. Besides it's not only dark notes- as i smelled more carefully, i discovered a very
    subtle, cool and soothing touch of the finest lavender.
    Today i'm
    still aware of its true value, even if my tastes evolved significantly.

Knize Forest by Knize

A more rustic and earthy scent by the conservative house of Knize. The good old Knize leathery style with en extra dose of mossy, fougere and balsamic notes.

Legends's avatar
    Legends

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

The scent is just too sweet and fruity. To me it didnt smell manly at all. Maybe if you like overly sweet and fruity scents, perhaps you should try it. Otherwise, steer clear.

mtbvince's avatar
    mtbvince

Eau Dynamisante by Clarins

This is an excellent fragrance, one of my favourite everyday scents. It's very inoffensive, but equally it's not bland. A true unisex fragrance which is neither sweet nor sickly like the ubiquitous ck one, this scent has a lovely, very natural smelling woody drydown, and a warm freshness to it. I'm not convinced about the firming claims on the bottle though!

mtbvince's avatar
    mtbvince

Sander for Men by Jil Sander

Quite simply a divine fragrance which works well as both a daytime and an evening scent, depending on how much you spray on. I absolutely love it, it is one of the most distinctive modern 'urban' fragrances available in my view, an intense fusion of notes which combine in quietly masculine way. The bottle and packaging are a treat too. It seems to be getting easier to get hold of - I notice Harvey Nicolls stock it - so there's no excuse not to try it!

musky_monkey's avatar
    musky_monkey

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Zagorsk by Comme des Garçons

If your girlfriend ever tells you that her fantasy is to have sex in an Eastern Orthodox church (or with an Eastern Orthodox priest), I would suggest you respect the church and instead reach for a bottle of Zagorsk.
    Mount Athos would have been an equally suitable name.

omniray's avatar
    omniray

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

hooo,.. im in love with 212 too.. really is an outstanding fragance, very comfortable, easy to wear with a nice woody/green/floral base that make it very interesting, atractive and masculine..

great staying power on skin.,

a masterpiece

PikakeGirl's avatar
    PikakeGirl

Blu by Bulgari

Blu is a very fresh scent that lasts all day. If you overspray it can be overwhelming. But when used judiciously it is feminine without being too flowery and has a nice, almost powdery finish on me. I have even gotten compliments from people who don't care for "perfume-y" scents, they say it just smells clean and slightly sweet.