Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

GFF Uomo by Gianfranco Ferré

What a disappointment. Very hard to describe, as all the notes seemed to blend together, but this had a very strong "perfumey" presence. Reminded me of an old bottle of suntan lotion with a strange metallic edge. Nothing really stuck out, but I imagine there were some white floral notes set against some woody notes and a little musk. Very strong with very little character, I can see why this was so hard to find! So let me wrap this up. Trust me on this one. If you were looking for it, stop looking and forget about it. Nothing redeeming about this one.

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

I love it, a very cozy and boozey blend of woods and spices. A wonderful rich scent great fro cooler weather. Fragrancedirect.com lists the notes as follows:

Paul Smith London Men is a deeply sensual and spicy scent with sparkling green mandarin and violet flowers. Shots of frosted mint with just a hint of jasmine and lavender. A warm base smoothed with a splash of vintage brandy accord. Australian sandalwood, Tonka beans, and amber.

Ferré by Gianfranco Ferré

I believe this one is unisex and the notes include:

Top: Marine Bergamot, Cassis, Melon
    Middle: Neroli, Lily of the Valley, Orange Blossom, Jasmine, Muget
    Last: Patchouli, Mahogany woods, Oakmoss, Seaweed, Ambergris, Musk

A wonderful light blend, this will be perfect for summer heat. Sweet, fresh, slightly floral (lily, jasmine and neroli all make brief appearrances before blending into the composition), marine with that special hint of motu, and a very pleasant light musk base. It reminds me of CSP Motu with a softer floral and citric opening and not as strong algae notes in the base. At the price I paid, $30 for a 50ml, it was totally worth it and in my opinion the best Ferre scent yet.

flathorn's avatar

Gianfranco Ferré by Gianfranco Ferré

Top Notes: Hyacinth, bergamot, fruits, greens, coriander, orange blossom
    Heart Notes: Tuberose, jasmine, rose, honeysuckle, narcissus, lily of the valley, orchid
    Base Notes: Musk, spices, moss.
    "Gianfranco Ferré is a sprightly floral bouquet, just right for warm spring days, outdoor luncheons, and brisk business days. Green herbal notes give a fresh lift to the feminine heart of tuberose, honeysuckle, jasmine, and orchid, while musk, spices, and moss warm the composition. An easy-to-wear floral fragrance, the effect is quiet and mannered."
    I like this fragrance for the fact it is a light floral I can wear well, and it is lovely. It's a light, innocent-sweet fragrance, with the orange blossom being a predominant note, with a slight touch of green. It is somewhat girly sweet and girly innocent. Sometimes that's appealing, and sometimes that doesn't work at all. This could never be my go-to fragrance, but for those moments you like to listen to Jewel's "Lullaby' album this is the one to put on.
    I like the delicate quality of the EDT better than the EDP, which is more vanillic and less ethereal, but the EDT is not especially long-lasting because of the ephemeral nature of the orange blossom. I combined my EDP and EDT, which is a compromise that makes it less airy but more long-lasting. Still, it's a nice fragrance, the essence of innocence and the joy of spring sunshine.

24 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2013)

Christoph_Georg's avatar

Action Sport by Trussardi

This is very rare by now. A brilliant Sports fragrance though. No copy of any of the famous ones,no, has its own , clean, crisp lemon style mixed p with spices to make a perfect spring/summertime casual/sport fragrance.Up there with Sport de Paco Rabanne!Discontinued. Unfortunately...

Christoph_Georg's avatar

Sport de Paco Rabanne by Paco Rabanne

For me its pure springtime smell! Absolutely outstanding! I dont understand why it is not available. I actually doubt its still in production. The whole package: design, smell, bottle, colour its just a really great casual fragrance!

donna255's avatar

Northern Ireland Northern Ireland

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

this amber is not sweet,no way,this baby is dark and dirty. Think hot sweaty sex,pure animal lust dirty. The AMBER of all ambers. Sex in a bottle.

donna255's avatar

Northern Ireland Northern Ireland

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Tuberose is just plain nasty on me. But Cedre works,that strange medical note like an addict I just want to keep sniffing it. Rich what else from Lutens,the tuberose is behaved and the cedar makes sure it stays that way.

Eggberj's avatar

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Smells nearly identical to Keiko Mecheri's "Paname" which I LOVE (it is in my fragrance top 5) but already own.

Eggberj's avatar

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

Decidedly run-of-the-mill, like many other modern fragrances, though a very pleasant scent nonetheless. Good for everyday casual wear. Thumbs up for the fragrance itself; Thumbs down for originality.

emmaa88's avatar

Baby Touch by Burberry

Tried this in Howells this afternoon with my friend - we both loved it! The packaging and bottle are so sweet, and the my friend thought the idea was good - but I personally don't really like the idea of spraying babies with perfume, even if it's alcohol free.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

What can I say about Acqua di Watermelon by G. Armani? If you want to smell this crap, you'd better sniff quick! Lasts about 15 minutes… Armani has many problems with the longevity of his fragances !!!

This is the most overrated and overpriced cologne ever and I can't see why it is because it leaves an awful sour melon smell on your skin. I think it’s the jasmine that does that without the jasmine it would probably be decent. It's a very common, bland scent that everyone on the planet wears.

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

Bvlgari Blv it's somewhat sportier, seductive, sexy and fresher than the original Bvlgari Pour Homme. There's a very unique note in this fragrance that I can't place; very mysterious aura that is hard to describe. When it dries down it's slightly powdery but still sensual. The only downside is that it doesn't last too long (some 4-5 hours of lasting power) but this is a truly superior product and have a cool bottle too.

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

Truly not an aquatic scent; this is an oriental scent mixed with fruity and spicy notes. What I’m saying is Mrs. Herrera misleads people on this one, could have used a different name with so many aqua's out now and this is not one. Still a good scent but if you are looking for an aquatic fragrance, I better recommend Bvlgari Aqva or Baldessarini del Mar. The only aquatic characteristic that this fragrance has is the blue color of the liquid, but nothing else.

goldslinger's avatar

Santos by Cartier

Great!! A great evening scent, but not overly sweet or peppery. Reminds me of Clive & Christian's 1872, but more agreeable and lighter,
    not as peppery.

Very sophisticated and refined; just like their jewelry.

mtbvince's avatar

Fahrenheit Summer by Christian Dior

Like the original but better in my view. I found the 'plain' Fahrenheit was occasionally cloying and the drydown was too heavy. This Summer version lightens it but doesn't wash out all of the lovely notes from the original, plus it has staying power which I find unusual in a more zesty fragrance. If your not 100% convinced about the original but quite like the concept, give this a try.

musky_monkey's avatar

Rose Poivrée by The Different Company

If you have ever asked yourself what the smell of rose urine would be, look no further.

NicoleB's avatar

Happy Heart by Clinique

The best fragrance by Clinique to date. I always get compliments when I wear it. Definatly a keeper.

takemyhusbandplz's avatar

Glamourous by Ralph Lauren

At first yes, this did remind me a bit of hairspray. Then after about 15 minutes turned very lovely on me. I don't know the actual notes but, on me what smells like bergamot, clementine, lilies, and assorted flowers. Very long lasting. Worth the 15 minute wait!

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

VERY STRONG! I like strong colonges, just don't like this one. This smells very strange. Very sweet + sort of like an old lady and cotton candy. I do not reccomend this. People will find this one offensive. NOT Masculine! NOT clean smelling! NOT good! Waste of money! Overpowering!

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

An excellent scent, but over played. Too many people have it so I rarely wear it. Masculine. Citron.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Strong. Long lasting. Masculine. Classy.

Chrome by Azzaro

Smells just like "Addidas Moves". Smells cheap.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

A very masculine smelling scent.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Smells just like Eternity for Men. Spicy. Citron.

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

I wore this back in high school. I'd be embarrased to wear it now, but it does smell good. It's just embarrasing to wear a scent that was popular when you were in high school. Does anyone else feel this way? Sort of smells like 80's gigalo cologne. -- It does smell good, just embarrasing to wear! Needs to be stronger too. I like strong colognes!

Envy for Men by Gucci

Another one of my favorites. Very fitting if you wearing a suit or dressed up. Sweet yet masculine. Mature.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I used to like this, but don't anymore. It doesn't seem strong enough for me. Smells like a forest. Think woodlands.

H.M. by Hanae Mori

Very sweet smelling. My favorite cologne! Highly reccomend. I have not met anyone else who wore this, so its very original.

Hugo by Hugo Boss