Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Think Lemon. Strong. Lasts a while.

Pi by Givenchy

Smells like a grandma would wear this! Smells very old person like with a dry down of vanilla and baby powder. Also doesnt seem that strong. DO NOT RECCOMEND THIS.

Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

I first found this cologne back in 1992. Haven't smelled it since. But I really remember liking it and will be buying a bottle of this soon. It used to be my favorite cologne. I just remember its sweet and that I loved it..although I've forgotten what it smells like. They sell it at Nordtroms.

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

When you first spray it, it has an overpowering smell of rubbing alcohol, but when it dries down it has a clean fresh smell. It just doesn't last. You can barely smell it! It has to be the weakest scent I have ever smelled. Would not buy this again.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

One of my favorite colonges. Masculine. Clean fresh, just like you stepped out of the shower. Wear this to the club.

Silver Shadow by Davidoff

Sweet smelling. Delicious! I'm going to buy this.

weymouthuk's avatar
    weymouthuk

Aramis 900 by Aramis

I had a bottle of this arrive this morning and it was like revisiting a long lost and trusted old friend. You really can smell the Rose note in this and I completely agree with the previous comment about the similarity to Cliniques Aromatics Elixir. I would estimate two sprays, maybe three as an absolute max with this. Overloading will not work well. It is a delicate floral scent that does have a more than passing resemblance to the regular Aramis fragrance though for my money this is a milion times better.
    I imagine this is a great scent for a romantic evening or perhaps day wear if your feeling in a gigolo kind of mood.....which fortuately I am :-) Grab a bottle if you can.

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

So it's cumin, eh? Who woulda thunk a spice for chili would end up in an Hermes bottle? I don't know what I think of this fragrance. I like the way it starts off, but then something happens and it's not altogether pleasant. Either that or I am just not sophisticated. I am staying neutral on this, with a slight down-turn, because--whatever this stuff is--it doesn't last very long.

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

This fragrance has been around far longer than 1979. I remember it in the 60s, when it was simply "Hermes." It was the first really good fragrance I ever smelled and my affection for it remains undiminished. True, it fades quickly, but, for this, I don't mind. It's a rush while it lasts.

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

I agree with the others about its too-short life, but the scent is great. I believe it was created for the Emperor Napoleon, though I don't know if it was I or III. It's about as good as a fragrance gets, though it's a little bit like the dry citrus of Roger & Gallet extra vielle. A pity that it goes away so soon. Vive L'Empereur.

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I once had the priviledge of meeting a billionaire, a modest man, quiet and soft spoken. He wore Old Spice, and this impressed me. It also made me happy because this is the cologne my dad wore on rare occasions; and the first scent I ever had on my face at the age of 8. It got me started. It's an old friend, this Old Spice.

Timberline by Dana

It's a really lovely, clean, floral/woodsy fragrance. The original, made by English Leather, had its name as "Timber Line" (two words). When Dana took it over the name changed and, I am told, the scent. The original was very fine but extremely strong. Lightly misted, the original "Timber Line" is a delight. But too much, and it becomes overbearing. It's one of my Top 10.

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

Jardin (not Jardine), to me, is like being clubbed in the nostrils. Mind you, I don't mind the scent, but it's way overpowering. Applied in the slightest of mists it can be very nice, esp layered with Tuscany which has a similar brightness. I don't get feminine at all with this scent. I get woods and figs and some florals, but in extreme over-abundance. My 3.4 oz will last me 40 years I bet.

blah114's avatar
    blah114

Himalaya by Creed

People around me swear they smell sunscreen when I wear this. I like the scent, but it smells a bit like Platinum Egoiste by Chanel.. except mixed with suntan lotion. It dries down to a shell of itself and then smells good. I am giving this a "neutral" because people have complained of smelling tanning lotion.. not exactly a compliment. Perhaps Himalaya has some similar chemical. I am also neutral on this one because I expected more: high price, loads of reviews.. I would stick with Egoiste personally..

Shycat's avatar
    Shycat

100% Love by S-Perfume

I really wanted to like this one, because I love roses and I love chocolate. And Luca Turin said good things. But I just CAN'T. The opening rose and chocolate is interesting but doesn't meld as easily as rose and almond. The rose turns powdery and over sweet, and the chocolate feels off to me instead of yummy. I keep telling myself it should smell good, but it has activated some sense sour spoilage I can't get past.

Shycat's avatar
    Shycat

Velvet Rope by Apothia

top: grapefruit, juniper berry

mid: green rose, jasmine absolute, cypress leaves

base: vanilla absolute, white musk, patchouli, (one place also mentioned tobacco)

This fragrance strikes me as a choker and a scrubber. The grapefruit top clashes with the vanilla right away, like lemon juice curdles milk. The florals are not noticable. The evergreen notes continue after the grapefruit fades to clash with the base throughout the miserable drydown. I guess this is the effect they were after, how could it be an accident??
    It is not sweet, not warm. But I can't say its dry and cool, either. Wet and sour, stale cigarette butt sums it up on my skin. Just the most horrible thing I've tested in the last year.
    It's unisex, so I tried to cut it some slack and imagine it on a sexy, hip guy and it didn't help it. Eventually I tried to fantasize I was seated next to Johnny Depp, I still cringed. OMFG, my fantasy said, Johnny stinks bad.

Abercrombie & Fitch by Abercrombie & Fitch

Great smell for teens and early twenty-somethings. Spicy and fresh and young. Average staying power if you use several sprays. Can't wear it anymore, though.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Two thumbs way up. I received this from ebay as a decant and didn't get to use much of it. But this stuff is top notch for sure. I will certainly own a full bottle of this one day.

Old Spice Fresh Lime by Shulton

My brother originally received this as a gift back in high school and he gave the last half to me to finish off. Great clean manly scent with decent longeivity on me. Highly recommended.

Very Sexy for Him 2 by Victoria's Secret

Nice enough smell, but it only lasts ten minutes or so on me. I like the first one much better.

drlake66's avatar
    drlake66

Coco by Chanel

Coco is one of my all time favorite fragrances. I admit that I'm not a sophisticated nose so I can't necessarily describe the notes. But I do know that I love it. Once is has settled on my skin there seems to be a happy melding of the two. This fragrance will always be on my top 10 list.

Antaeus by Chanel

I am passionate about this particular fragrance. The sharp muted deep red cocktail of wood in the top notes is eye popping. The somewhat bitter manifestation after that makes an amazing statement of style - all this happens while still keeping up that ever mellowing deep red / dark fruit accord. Miraculously at this precious time its leather-like property starts to reveal itself. It then gathers up all of this creativeness and wraps it up to that completely sexy modern clean cut brilliant beeswax sweetness as its novel finish.

One very important thing to keep in mind with Antaeus - you can't just spray it on a card to 'get it'. Fragrances of this quality need to settle - blend with your body. If you buy it because everyone (including myself) says it is the best - good for you! you just bought the best - but you must wear it! Wear it for a day and see how it transforms into something beautiful. It's timeless, 20+ years old and it is still ultra-modern. This is a fragrance that is beyond fragrance trends of decades past and IMO, decades to come. Always appropriate, always new. It’s something that can’t even be imitated, let alone duplicated.

Déclaration by Cartier

This is one of the most balanced, elegant, sensual and pleasant colognes I ever bought. It has woodsy, smokey, clean and classy notes that are completely original. Very heavy cardamom note, as well oregano... I'd say this one is best for daytime use but the woodsy dry down is incredibly classy, unique and very enjoyable to smell. I suppose you can wear it formally but, it’s one of the very few casual fragrances that are truly enjoyable to wear. The kind of fragrance you capture in the air when someone is using. A bit expensive though, but I think it is worth it. Also, the bottle is absolutely lovely and cleverly designed. Déclaration sweats pure luxury.

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

A very nice and exciting scent. It has a very fruity beginning with a sort of woody-tobacco-like ending, which gives off the masculine touch. It's terrific, pleasant spicy-fruity smell that makes you feel like you’re at a party on a tropical island (Bali, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, etc…). The name fits it perfect. Quite strong and has a lot of staying power (Last about 6 hours on me). It’s the only light perfume that is long lasting... the others just vanish in minutes…! (especially Armani’s perfumes). If you want a fresh scent that smells like no other, give this a try.

Goddess_Dreams's avatar
    Goddess_Dreams

Amor Amor by Cacharel

WELL, WELL, WELL! Amor Amor like all Cacharels is bound to be yet another controversial fragrance. Aren't they all? Some of us will love it, (like me), and others will hate it and liken it to 'floor cleaners' as seen below!

To me however, Amor Amor is a happy, Passion-Kissed, fragrance like a burst of sunshine with lots or red berries and smiles, just oozing sex-appeal and magnetism. Amor Amor is one of my favorites and I do have many, but it somewhat does stand out with it's charming, whimsical attitude. It's carefree and 'impulsive', and exhilarating. You can't help but steal smiles everywhere you go when you wear Amor Amor!

HackerX's avatar
    HackerX

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I agree with the medicinal quality in this one. I also smell some tea element in this, keeps on reminding me of stale iced tea, and sometimes even Tea For Two from a strange smoky character. It is a good fragrance but certainly not the best sweet orientals out there, definitely test first.

HackerX's avatar
    HackerX

Samouraï by Alain Delon

The first time i came across this fragrance i thought it was just going to be another fresh aquatic type of scent. But i was in for a surprise. This fragrance truly has a unique twist on freshness, it's peppery, sweet and floral. The pepper really adds some sexiness to this one, with all these elements combined it somehow still managed to have that fresh feel, a top of the line fresh oriental indeed. Superb!!

iMaverick's avatar
    iMaverick

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

Ever wonder sometimes what goes on behind the inspiration behind certain scents?? Cartier can oftentimes become a total mystery. By no means is Cartier awful, but to me they're inspirational. I think "Le Baiser" is like baptism, Cartier has soared the heights of sophistication with this beautiful composition. Fresh and woodsy from the start, then develops to a powdery force from the iris and rose, a legato of the two held together with cedar, and it's sopsisticated and modern spirit and presence emerge from the grand combination of patchouli and the slightly bitter edge of vetiver. I'll never stray far from a bottle of this scent, I could care less that this is a women's marketed scent. Like Omnia, there is a remarkable balance of notes to share between the sexes. A total shame to garner a bottle just for the fairer sex with this one.

plumeria's avatar
    plumeria

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

So clean! Even slightly astringent. An energetic combination of citrus and floral notes. Cool and crisp, like winter air on a clear day. It's pretty potent and long lasting, too. The drydown is really nice...it's a dry floral and dare I say, sophisticated? I enjoyed both the initial burst and the lingering scent throughout the day. I should note that this review is based on wearing my sample for one day. But I'm pretty certain that if I had a bottle of this, I would wear this a lot because I have nothing else like it in my collection. Overall, I find this very wearable, casual, office friendly and even a little sexy.

Princess_Jime's avatar
    Princess_Jime

Escada Sport Feeling Free by Escada

Some of the notes are: lavender, passionflower and bergamot; sandalwood, amber and freesia. It's refreshing, casual, but has a personality of its own, it's like that cool girl you met while summer vacationing and you're never going to forget, she's free-spirited, beautiful, and somehow makes you think of water fairies.