Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

wicozani's avatar

Imperial Jade Emperor by Agatha Brown

I must say that I was expecting more out of Imperial Jade Emperor. We were promised a scent unlike anything else, but this turns out to simply be marketing-speak. Imperial Jade Emperor is basically a sweet, fruity, floral scent underscored by subtle woods, and evocative of quite a few other scents; namely Gucci Envy (IJE is sweeter than Envy), Laguna Homme (has an aquatic note that IJE doesn't have), Jaipur Homme, and Burberry London. Don't get me wrong, this is very nice and of excellent quality and lasting power, but it is hardly as unique as we are told.

Jeff

26 January, 2006

blah114's avatar

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a very strange, original fragrance. I am no expert. This smells at first of animal urine mixed with nutmeg. But I have noticed it quickly dries into something unique, soulful, and warm. It smells "toasty" after a bit, with a hint of nutmeg, smoke, and sweetness. It's definitely unique and not objectionable at all. It does not even smell like a cologne. It smells like someone's past.. or a castle (review is dead-on about the castle).. it smells of an era vs a scent. I cannot describe this scent any more than to say L'Artisan must be a unique company to have dared something like this. Even the bottle is nice and upscale. I have received compliments from women on this, and even they said it smelled not like cologne, but "natural..like spring, or a season.." That's saying something, considering all the fragrances out there.. Like the 4th scent I've been asked about by others.. in a positive manner!

26 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 24 May, 2011)

ArgaWarga's avatar

Ungaro III by Ungaro

I just got some of this, and I absolutely love it. The longevity is great, and the scent is extremely dynamic and wonderful the whole way through. To me, this almost seems like Allure Homme's evil twin--many of the same themes, but darker and spicier. I haven't tried yet, but I'm imagining that it would be possible to wear Allure during the day, then U3 at night. Hmm.... In any case, an absolutely wonderful scent all around, highly recommended!

Climb14er's avatar

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

I came upon Tabac about twenty five years ago and immediately liked the fragrance and how my own body handled it. Many times I have received compliments from young to older women who say that they love the freshness and balance of the fragrance. My ex wife and many of my former girlfriends all loved Tabac on me and in a nutshell, Tabac is one of the cleanest, most exciting yet somewhat outdoorsey and traditional of all the fragrances I've ever tried. At times I have sampled others but for one reason or another, I always return to Tabac.

Francoise_Papiran's avatar

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

This is probably the best smelling stuff out their right now for the GQ man. This very sensuous and refined scent is without a doubt worth paying full-price for. This is a seductive, luxurious and sexy warm citrus fragrance hinted with soothing sandalwood and sensual tobacco notes. It has staying power, very strong and concentrated yet it is not overpowering. Vera Wang for Men it’s a serious competitor to Armani, Herrera, Chanel and Kenneth Cole for the fragrance market share.

Helmut Lang Men by Helmut Lang

I wear the After Shave. Smells just like Mennen Skin Bracer, which is fine with me.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

I like the Fraicheur version better but this is good in its drydown, which compensates for the sugary excess of the top. Licorice candy is the key note here. The spray version has a very well engineered vaporizer which makes for proper applying.

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

The best of the Guerlains for men. All the rest is either too silly (Habit Rouge), stiff (Derby), pompous (Heritage), outlandish (Coriolan) or plain boring (L'Instant). Lots of civet which soon evaporates into a very balanced and unusual accord. Not for the too young.

marco's avatar

Wellington Cologne by Geo F Trumper

My favorite Trumpers, and do I love Curzon, Astor or Bay Rum...
    It's true that there are some similarities to Blenheim in the base notes (pine, eucalyptus), but he top notes are totally different and truly amazing, orange (which I normally don't like, but this one is totally different) totally intertwined with rosemary and jasmin. What's more, on me this cologne lasts forever, and the top notes don't go away. Very elegant, fresh, clean, classic, and yet very emotional.

Poivre by Caron

Caron's urn fragrances are legendary, and Poivre is no exception. Although it's listed as one of the most highly rated feminine scents, it works perfectly well on men too, melding with the male body chemistry in an almost animalic way. Next to Hermes 'Poivre Samarcande,' this is my favorite pepper based fragrance.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

A great fragrance. My description: it's as if millions of scent spheres were drawn up in to my nose, and then breathed out again, leaving in their wake a most interesting coffee/vanillic sort of effect. It's a fragrance that must be experienced, and whether you like it or not, you will be impressed.

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is a fascinating fragrance, in that it has a truly genuine lavender feel about it, which is not found in most "lavender" scents. It reminds me of lavender in the summer, crushed between the fingers and allowed to dry on them. There is a hint of coolness here as well, which adds to the comfortable wearability quotient. A nice, soft dry-down completes this summery scent. Unisex and recommended!

nattygold's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

I remember all the media hype when Envy ph first came out. I usely pass such scents up, thinking they will become way too popular. My suspitions were confirmed, when several years later I spotted Envy on sale at T J Max. I didn't buy it. A few years pass and scralling throught e Bay this week, I got a 3.4 oz bottle for $15, which turned out to be a great buy, because Envy smells exceptionallly good, full of incense and sweet spice but not too sweet and it last forever.I put it on today at 4PM and its't now 3:59 AM and I can still smell it. Chicago is large enough that I won't smell it coming and going.

siren65's avatar

Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

just got this. loved the white pepper start that tickled my nose, and the warm soft slightly sweet but dry smell that backed it up. it is a winner. At first I thought it reminded me of the pepper note in estee lauder's Pleasures (not a good link, if you ask me) but then realized, after the dry down that all 3 of these (in the love potions set) are not like anything i have smelled in dept. stores, but rather VERY like perfume oils i purchased in Mumbai, India. the difference is they are significantly lighter, and work better in the cold environment here, i think. Definitely give it a try!

taketacom's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I like sweet colognes, but this one is way too sweet and way too feminine. Plus its OLD SCHOOL. I'd be embarrased to wear this today. Sort of like how I feel about Drakkar. Embarrasing to wear.

the_idiot's avatar

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

I enjoy this scent quite a lot, though it doesn't last too long. there's a "woodsey," yet "fresh" scent that's perfect for daywear imho. nothing overpowering that's calm. i've gotten some compliments from wearing this and it think it does well if you're looking for something subtile.

the_idiot's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

though i am still young and new to the world of fragrences, John Varvatos is my favorite. It's a "woodsey-orential" scent, my favorite out of the one's i've tested and currently own. Smells of soft leather and cool vanilla that's not overpowering, but enough of an aroma that will please many women who gets a taste.

absynthium's avatar

Garofano by Lorenzo Villoresi

definitely a magnificent work of art in the fragrance industry, it smells like no other perfumes i tested in these last years ,the beautiful and sensual carnation wave is sweetly combined with lavender,jasmine and musk ethereal notes ,a frag that couldnt be missed in any l.v fan collection

Arpège by Lanvin

Thos scent brings back so many memories for me. This is what my grandmother wore to church, the opera, any place where she dressed up. Everytime I think of her I still can smell it. Glad to see it is still around and being used.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Nice summer fragrance. Kind of an old fashioned barber shopish scent.

Canoé by Dana

Nice classic, light scent. Never overpowering. It does what a cologne is suppoed to do.I guess since my Dad loved this I love it too. I always feel like I just came from a barber shop when I splash Canoe on.

Monsieur Musk by Dana

Oh man is this stuff bad!!! As Coty Musk is hard to find, I was looking forward to this one as I read many god reviews. Instead I felt nausea the moment I opened the box. I don't think I have ever have had such a bad reaction to a fragarance before. Perhaps Dana has changed the formula since the past reviews. Please don't buy this stuff, especially if you are going to be near me!!!!

Musk for Men by Coty

Love this stuff!!! Doesn't really smell, like a musk. Very light, innocent, not sexy. Still a nice clean scent. I always receive compliments. Downside is it only seems to show up around holidays these days.

cheeky1's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

I like this scent. The tea and black currant notes are obvious. However, the tea note took on an odd twist for me. I spend alot of time outside in my job, and sweating. So I am reminded of my daily fragrance choices often throughout the day, as the body heat releases the scent. In this case w/ SMW, I enjoyed that reminder, for the most part. Every now and then, quite often in fact, the tea note reminded me of urine. I don't mean to disparage this frag at all. I like it, in fact. If I ignored the similarity, it smelled good. Overall, I feel like it's light, but with alot more depth to it than most light/citrus/ozonic scents. Top notes much more complex than the tea-ish base note w/ a splash of bk currant. Somehow strikes me as a winter day frag - but smells a bit like piss. My 2 cents.

Spellbound by Estée Lauder

Stylish female classic, I remember my mom using it once and I can recall how she applied only very little and yet it lasted for more than a day. Oriental musky notes with a floral and deliciously lush fruity touch. Very long lasting sensations. I mostly like if women wear it, with the condition that it matches the outfit, their age, the season and the time of day. Good especially for mature women, it would rather seem bizarre if a teenage girl used it, maybe beginning with the age 25+ onward.

28 January, 2006 (Last Edited: 20th September, 2009)

Caractère by Daniel Hechter

Like other 80's male fragrances(Tsar, Fendi uomo, Anateus, Salvador Dali, Drakkar Noir, Farenheit) this one is very leathery and rather heavy, suggesting also a dark and powerful masculinity. Rather for formal and evening wear, complimenting perfectly the autumn and winter wardrobe. The box with its ambery, slightly melancholic touches of colour remining a little of an Ungaro III box, yet not that elaborately luxurious, while the dark brown minimalistic bottle of almost impenetrable glass is harmoniusly fitting the content- like wine or perfume bottle from yesterday, containing very old and precious essences.
    While the first notes might seem agressively smokey, powdery and both too sharp and too sweet, it gradually developes a much more cooling, subtle woody, mossy, sligtly green-citrus leathery touch.

Jaguar (original) by Jaguar

Like it was said before: luxurious. Luxurious like the brand it stands for. The perfect choice to wear while driving a Jaguar. Very British, very exclusive.

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

Sweet, so called exotic scent that lives up to its name. Loads of sugar, some notes of tea with lots of honey, but above all an intoxicating smell of coconut. Like coconut-flavoured chocolate bars melted down into a cologne.

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Smells like classier and more subtle version of well-known aquatic scents like Boss Elements Aqua(which is in my opinion very good too). Sparkling refreshing "green" notes, not only watery, but also slightly
    ozonic, lightful,gentle and pleasantly inconspicous on te wearer's skin. Perfect casual wear, day- and summertime scent.

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

First a little too floral yet gradually more masculine after several minutes.