Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

Escape by Calvin Klein

Again, one of those fragrances that make you a tad nauseous if overapplied. I use it QUITE sparingly, and like it. Not the most frequently used fragrance in my wardrobe, but not one of the "sleepers", either.

Contradiction by Calvin Klein

I like it, but don't wear it often. I find it somewhat "neither here nor there" - a bit too strong for daytime, not sultry enough for evening. That's probably the only reason why I don't wear it more often - not too many "in-between" events in one's life.

Truth Calvin Klein by Calvin Klein

Very nice, quite casual scent. I find it mixes very well with your own body chemistry, to a degree that it becomes barely noticeable to you; very easy to wear.

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

I disagree about Euphoria being a Prada wannabe, although I agree they're somewhat similar. I like it and wear it often; however, I prefer the spray deodorant atop the body lotion after the body wash for the day, and add EDP only for evenings.

In general, the perfume deodorants rule (I wish more made them), since they have an amazing staying power, yet they're not as intense as the EDP. And yes, you can use them all over the body, not just where one traditionally uses deodorant.

Cabaret by Grès

Just doesn't mix with my body chemistry, I guess. On me it smells harsh and horrid, one spritz was enough for me to give it away.

La Perla by La Perla

Reminds me a _lot_ of Magie Noir. I can't say I'm particularly fond of it right out of the bottle, but I do like the drydown. It _does_ last, however, particularly when layered.

Prada (new) by Prada

Love it. Except for the shower gel (cream). The shower gel is simply horrible, literally almost makes me gag. Quit using it completely. The body lotion's ok (although still a bit different from the EDP). The EDP I'm completely addicted to, but - maybe it's just me - find the smaller size better smelling than the larger. I in general tend to stick to the 1.7 oz (or similar) because the larger ones always smell somewhat wrong to me.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Love it, but not on myself. On others - it smells absolutely divine (if not overdone, but that's pretty much true for all fragrances). One of the classics, immediately recognizable.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Despite the numerous reviews on this site, I have to say that in real life I've met very few men who can actually get away with wearing this - and I adored each and every one of them. It's a wonderful scent, very warm and very masculine. In fact, much as I love Obsession, I love Obsession for Men more.

Davisdujour's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Thumb Amendment. This stuff is just too woody. I recently went to Home Depot while wearing this, and was actually purchased by a construction worker who mistook me for a piece of plywood. If I wanted to smell like nothing but wood, I'd date Bob Vila.

30th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2006)

Princess_Jime's avatar

Carolina Herrera by Carolina Herrera

A timeless classic, with orange blossom, rosewood and jasmine, blended with notes of honeysuckle, sandalwood and vetiver. It is sublime, perfect, elegant, just like Carolina herself. I used it when I was a teenager, it made me feel grown up and sophisticated, beautiful and unique.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Crave by Calvin Klein

I really do love classic (and elaborated) scents and everything indicated that I would hate this fragrance, but... I LIKE IT! Crave is a nice fresh scent, It's in the same line of Azzaro Chrome, Davidoff Echo and CK One. It means It's a casual, safe and relaxing fragrance, made to be worn in those sunny hot days. Although It's fresh, I really notice a sweet accord surrounding the entire scent, maybe It's the tonka or the nutmeg, but I know for sure that It keeps me smelling my wrists all the time!

supermanley25's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Green Irish Tweed is a beautiful fragrance for men. The scent is haunting, clean, and fresh, lasting longer than other Creeds I've tried. The halls of my college dorm are filled with the smells of Curve and Cool Water, and I can attest that GIT rests leagues apart from both. The drydown to ambergris is beautiful as well. Perhaps the best part of wearing GIT is the name of the scent itself. When people are amazed and ask me what I'm wearing (and this happens often), it's fun to say "Green Irish Tweed", and watch the confused/impressed expressions on their faces. Perhaps they were expecting me to say something like "Cool Water." Bottom line: Worth the money, and Creed is quality. It's easy to see why celebrities and royalty favor this scent.

Montecristo's avatar

Etra by Etro

this is one of my favorite scents. It has a floral-spicy mix to it I find very enjoyable. I think it is a great all around scent.

Montecristo's avatar

Shaal Nur by Etro

I understand this scent is geared more towards women, but I really enjoy this. Its another winner for me from Etro. Its a sweet-spicy aroma that I can't get enough of.

Adidas Moves by Adidas

After the crisp topnotes fade, some others remain a while---light, fresh, perhaps slightly floral---and then it's gone. Pleasant enough, but you'll have to reapply every 2 hours or so if you want to keep it going.

Samba Nova Homme by Perfumer's Workshop

This fragrance was a great discovery for me. I find the woody drydown comforting and delightful. Its longevity is decent, too; here it easily beats many others comparably priced.

I bought two 50-ml bottles for $4.99 each on clearance, and am very pleased.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

The only thing that says "sport" to me is the light, refreshing citrus and aquatic opening. The spicy wood drydown reminds me of Samba Nova Hommme, which I like, but which costs a lot less.

Nice, but not outstanding; certainly not comparable to Allure Homme.

flathorn's avatar

Terra by Antica Farmacista

Not bad, but ultimately I couldn't resolve the collaboration of conifer and vanilla. Mercifully the vanilla wasn't 'foody' or I would have given it a thumbs down. It's mild and even-tempered, a pleasing quality in this fragrance, which made me tolerate the combination more than I might have. Easy to wear, but you need to like the juxtaposition.

1903 by J Peterman

This is a real change from my usual spicy, heavier scents. As it stands right now, 1903 is the lightest scent I own. The drydown is pretty subtle on me, staying close to the skin. I'm getting around an hour or so of decent strength, it dies down considerably after that.

Isaac

Poivre by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

A smoldering scent that will really warm you up! More complex (I think) than my only other pepper comparison Piper Nigrum, i is also noticeably more expensive. Good thing Poivre lasts so long on me...

Parfums des Beaux Arts Gingembre by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

My favorite scent! It is spicy, warm, and exotic. The top note of ginger might knock you over, but it settles down quickly into a cornucopia of spice goodness. Never dark on me, it has decent sillage and lasts all day long. Be careful, a little bit goes a long way! If you're a spice lover, or even if you just love smelling VERY different from everyone else, you gotta check this out!

Isaac

Parfums des Beaux Arts Acqua di Venezia by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

This is a nice, citrus based scent that is light and custom made for the hot summer months. Unfortunetly it doesn't last at all on me, so I'll stick to the similar (if slightly "heavier" ) Aqua di Parma CA.

Parfums des Beaux Arts Cimabue by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

An interesting, sweet concoction with decent lasting power. I could never figure out what this sent wanted to "be". The opening note reminds me a bit of lemon hard candy, but not really if you know what I mean. Like all of DSH perfumes, it is avery complex and smooth, but this one isn't for me.

Parfums des Beaux Arts Majhoun by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

My second favorite scent! This is a dark, exotic, spicy combination that always reminds me of the middle east. Lasts all day on me and is some of the most potent stuff I've ever used, so go lightly with it:-)

Joshaugustt's avatar

Etienne Aigner No. 2 by Etienne Aigner

This is a scent that "grew" on me over a period of time. The good news is that it's still being produced AND...it's a wonderful warm, spicy, clean fragrance that has fairly good staying power. This one is really worth a try...or two! Joshaugustt

kaos.geo's avatar

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

This one I got by requesting it to a friend that traveled to Paris this Christmas...(plus another CDG scent as a gift...) I found it at first very similar to Odeur 53, but as it developed on my skin I found out that all they have in common is that they are both synthetics, but then the notes change quite a bit. I think that in the sampling process CDG uses, the identity of the sample, all it's personality, is lost (i.e. I have to try VERY HARD to conjure up dust on a lightbulb while smelling this one, photocopier is much easier though..) but on the other hand this is a very sexy perfume in a kinky sort of way...This is the olfactory equivalent of a sex toy...it only requires a little imagination to turn it from something inanimated and lifeless into an accessory to pleasure.

kaos.geo's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Palisander by Comme des Garçons

I asked a friend to bring this home to me from a trip to Paris to give it as a gift (it is impossible to get it in South America) and I was really tempted to keep it for myself. Fortunately she got it at the CDG perfume store. I must say I was totally astonished in the most positive way.. The smell of palisander is intoxicatingly vivid and delicious, beautifully rounded by the other notes:The red cedar adds body, the peppers heighten everything up, the saffron really rounds all the possible hard edges, and the myrrh is the perfect end note, although it does smell a little church-y to me. The persistance is great. The flaçon and the packaging are also flawless (did I already say that I love frosted glass?) This is an excellent and very classy find for anyone who looks for something that is classic, avant garde and exclusive. You get all 3 qualities when you buy this baby. I will proceed to enjoy it on the skin of my loved one for a while.

LoneFish's avatar

Gardenia by Elizabeth Taylor

It starts off kind of synthetic and strong but then it becomes REALLY sweet and I can't say it is exactly true to gardenia, but it is still a nice smell and sort of has a "gardenia" aura about it. Eventually it dries down to a very sensual sweet musky base, sort of reminds me of Guerlain's Samsara. It lasts a long time and overall I give it a thumbs-up. May be too sweet for some people, but for me it is very pure and nice.

siren65's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 7 Sweet: Nomad Tea by Comme des Garçons

I have to add a note because i changed my mind about this one. yes it does have a slight dentist office beginning, but i found myself wanting to wear it more and more...so much so that i am buying a bottle. it is fresh and sort of business like and at the same time playful. clear but quirky. I do not, however smell anything approaching tea. but it's lovely all the same.

31st January, 2006 (Last Edited: 23 March, 2006)