Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

My favorite scent. Totally warm and comforting. It's great for any time of day and throughout the whole week. Definitely has something "alluring" about it.

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

Oh my god! This perfume is just so sensual and very delightful. Not to bold, not to weak. It's perfect for anyone!It is definitely one of my favorite perfumes. I recommend it for anyone; it's so floraly but not to an old lady smell point! Perfect for first dates and any dates after. :) The bottle is also quite enchanting and gorgeous!

Visormax's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme Eau de Cologne by Boucheron

this is a very nice perfume, new distinctive scent. ok for cold days

Godeke_Michels's avatar

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

I just love this musky/smoky scent - it is soo sinister and freaky!
    It reminds me a bit of Truth Men at first glance, but it is even sexier in a very uncomplicated way.

MorningOil's avatar

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

This is a beautiful fragrance. Like a lot of the Diptyque fragrances, it is just incredibly green for most of its lifespan - green rather than floral. Particularly on a card, it has a bracing coldness that for me is incredibly evocative of the garden. On my skin it is a little warmer, and as it dries down I do get some of that incensey quality - but it is very restrained - this is never a heavy scent. In fact, although you can clearly smell that it is a fresh, green rose, oddly it reminds me more than anything of a tomato plant. All in all a wonderful, crisp, unartificial scent that is particularly good for daytimes and summers!

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

So sweet. You shold use it when you are happy in mood, and you are in safe. Toffee girl.

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

Perfect scent, lasting, woody, smoky. Some mystical influenses.Its like l´occtane vetyver, but more, some spices added, tar-like scent.I love it.

Absolu by Rochas

Flowerly, too flowerly. For woman in older age maybe. Not making any great influece.More like summer scent.Remainds Organza by Givenchy.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Perfect for me. Leather like,rubbery, soft and it goes sweet on my skin. Somehow it reminds me on guerlain:shalimar. One day black, next day shalimar.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Clean, Grassy, with a hint of citrus. If you want to smell clean without smelling like a generic tweener this is a good choice. Well blended fragrance.

Gendarme by Gendarme

YAWWWWNNNNNN. Boring. You could layer this with Ivory Soap. Clean and Soapy. It wore off quickly on my skin. I'm going to give it a 2nd run, but I was unimpressed.

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I liked this. It didn't wow me. However it was well put together and gave me some spice, some sweet a little smoke and some woods. None stood out among them because they were so well blended.

Reserve by Perry Ellis

I think its ok. Smelled better on paper then on my skin. Starts off with a slightly floral, slightly fruity scent that has hints of spices and woods that stand out on dry down. Wearable but not exceptional.

Geir by Geir Ness

I tried this the other day and like the others...I loved it. It has a beautiful aroma to it. It's sensitive yet not overly so. Reminded me of Xeryus Rouge in its scent, but with a slighter woodsy/aquatic base. It's floraly but very pleasent. Thumbs up...way up.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I'll give it a thumbs up based on the creativity and the dry down. I didn't like the top leather note. All leather. Too much. However the dry down was cinnamon and a little spice with slight leather. Manly yet yielding. Nice.

SubtleUser's avatar

Perry Ellis for Men (original) by Perry Ellis

Strange to find one of the more sophisticated, elegant and timeless classics of American design fragrances to be talked down this much. Among an array of mainly forgettable market pleasers by the likes of Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger and so on who seem to repeat the same composition with minor adjustments over and over again, this scent clearly stands out. It's a scent that leaves a mark and makes an impression, classy, elegant, timeless. It's been a firm favorite in my books for over 15 years now, and I usually have to fly across to the US from Europe to even get it ... PE is not sold in Europe, unfortunately!

Angel by Thierry Mugler

This to me seems like a darker and more masculine version of A*men. In fact, a guy could wear this without any problem at all. It has a heavy dose of patchouli and woods in the base that make it brooding. Just like its counterpart, it has extremely impressive sillage and longevity. While I still prefer A*men, this is still the first gourmand scent and it's a classic. It does seem to generate a lot of mixed responses. Some love it while others absolutely hate it, but at least it's never described as being boring or mediocre.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Classy floral scent with hints of citrus and musk. The name is quite fitting. It really smells like a romantic night in Paris. For me it evokes the image of an elegant dress and a dinner ball. It would be a perfect fragrance for Cinderella. What I like is that it is suitable for any age group. It's the type of scent that I would buy for my mother as well as my girlfriend. The only downside to it is probably its lack of versatility. It strikes me as a formal scent, but then again that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's my favorite YSL frag for women next to Cinema.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Decent scent with green topnotes and a musky drydown. It starts off pretty strong but burns itself out rather quickly. Reminds me of one of those Axe scents that have a lifespan of 30 minutes. It does garner attention but only while it's freshly applied. Overall it's an ok scent that can be worn casually.

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Spicy oriental in the same vein as Opium Pour Homme. Starts off with a sharp spike but smoothens out to a nice vanilla base. I also detect anise in it even though it's not listed. I'm not too fond of rose as a note but it's nicely done with this scent. It's rather subdued while all the other notes are balanced just right. It's another must-have for a true aficionado of oriental scents. Too bad it was pulled off the shelves of major department stores.

Tel Quel by Yves Rocher

I'll be damned if this isn't a stronger version of Gucci Envy. It even lasts longer too. I don't detect any tea despite it being listed as a note. Great nonetheless. I agree with John.com in regards to its availability though. I happened to come across this by accident in my friend's bathroom cabinet. He said it was some old stuff he never uses and gave it to me on the spot. It's just another undiscovered gem that I'm happy I found.

Black by Kenneth Cole

Pleasant enough but not at all what I was expecting. I don't see how this could be 'black' at all. I was expecting something leathery or extremely woody, but instead I get another bright, fresh, and citrussy frag. Longevity isn't great either. I wonder if all KC scents suck in that regard. Even if you bathe in it, you won't get much mileage. What puzzles me the most is that black suede, incense smoke, musk, and ambergris are listed as notes yet I don't detect a trace of any of them.

Yang by Jacques Fath

This is my favorite tea scent. It reminds me of a darker, smokier, and spicier L'eau Bleu. Whenever I go to a Chinese restaurant and order tea, I'm immediately reminded of Yang. It smells like green tea with a little honey and a touch of jam. However, its sweetness is subdued on my skin. I usually spray my shirt to retain its sweet qualities and from preventing it from turning tart and smokey during the drydown. It's a shame that it doesn't go well with my chemistry, but that doesn't stop me from wearing it!

Soul by Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

Not a vile scent, but I'm giving it a thumbs down because it's so expensive for an unoriginal scent. Seriously, how many renditions of Curve is Claiborne going to come out with? If I had to choose, I would stick with the original one and leave all the 'remixes' alone. This one is basically the same Curve with some added pine needle notes.

Poême by Lancôme

ergh....I tried this for the first time the other day, and let me just say...I was really disappointed. It smelt just like total old lady perfume for like 20 minutes. And sadly to say, after 20 minutes the scent was at its best. It smelt quite nice afterwords cuz it was subtle; but eh..it just didn't work. I don't really recommend it at all. It just was meh!

Curious by Britney Spears

i was actually shocked to find out that a BRITNEY SPEARS scent of all the things, smelt really good. Curious has a very sweet scent that is nice and romantic. A pretty nicely made scent

USC2's avatar

Royal Copenhagen by Royal Copenhagen

Royal Copenhagen is a light, bright, powdery, floral scent; quite surreal. It is potent and long lasting, however when used in moderation it is very nice. The only drawbacks are that it is quite formal and perhaps a bit dated. Nevertheless, without question, I prefer Royal Copenhagen to today's typical oceanic scents.

Ayala's avatar

Tabu by Dana

Tabu truly fits its name and image (as in the famous painting in the original advertisement): a forbidden, sensually provocative scent – just like the forbidden love between Anita and Holger in the unforgettable film “Intermezzo”.

Tabu has a dry edge of spices and carnation with a heart of gold – rose, orange blossom and jasmine sweetened with resinous honey note over a sultry foundation of patchouli, amber, civet and musk. Although the top notes seem dry and somewhat sever at first, they quickly evolve into voluptuous seductive curves that whisper a lustful invitation.

And you better listen to those whispers, as Tabu is the definition of a good buy – a high quality, original perfume (in fact, an Eau de Cologne!) with class and lasting power that any great name perfume house would be proud of, for prices as low as $10-$15. It’s also very reliable: it’s been around since 1932 and haven’t been altered as far as I know. In fact, it is written in the history of perfumes as the trendsetter for perfumes such as Youth Dew (1952) and Opium (1977) that tried their hand at this Oriental greatness only decades later.

08th January, 2006

Belial's avatar

France France

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Amazing scent. Though it's more fresh and aggressive than Allure, both still share a lot. Allure Sport is a version of Allure targetting younger men (below 35 I would say). Strong and light at the same time, it can be worn in many situations: a romantic dinner would be the perfect example.

08th January, 2006