Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

CoL's avatar

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

This one aint quite the same as the original, tis deeper and reminds me of a medicine I took as a child! It does settle very well though.

Knowing by Estée Lauder

There is something about this scent that I keep coming back to. I may ignore it for periods of time, especially in summer, but once the weather is cool again - out it comes. It is a stunning fragrance IMHO

Spellbound by Estée Lauder

Spellbound is one of those fragrances that I loved when I first got it. But after a few months of regular use I couldn't take it anymore. It is a powerful perfume and I still love when I catch a whiff of it on others. But I finally accepted that on me it just didn't work. Having said that, I think on the right woman Spellbound is fabulous.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

This is another perfume that I thought I would love - I mean c'mon chocolate, caramel & vanilla, I should've been in heaven. And for a short time I was. When I first used this perfume I adored it. That didn't last long. Within a few weeks I couldn't bring myself to wear it anymore. I eventually gave it away. Now I can't even bear to smell it on someone else. I have the same type of flashback reaction to Angel and I have to Poison. I find it cloying and overwhelmingly sweet.

Frederik's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Castelbajac by Jean-Charles Castelbajac

This immediately reminded me of 'Gaultier to the power of two'. It's also very sweet and warm. Castelbajac is a little more original than Gaultier. Although gaultier considers his scent as unisex, which i don't agree with. it's a warm comfort scent, very appropriate in winter times.

Johnny_Wx's avatar

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Others have already described the notes better than I could do. Allow me to simply add that this is a fantastic scent that lives up to its Creed heritage. Upon applying Baie de Genievre, the juniper notes envelope me and can transport me to Juniper Bay. Truly amazing. Unfortunately, as with Cuir de Russie (another fantastic scent) it is very short-lived. After a couple hours I have to try stuffing my wrist up my nose to get a whiff. Pretty safe bet nobody else can smell it, so I'd say the longevity and sillage is pretty poor. Too bad, too, because the first notes really resonate with me. This could have been one of my absolute favorites.

Johnny_Wx's avatar

Cuir de Russie by Creed

Others have wonderfully described the notes. Allow me to simply add that this is a fantastic scent that lives up to its name and its Creed heritage. Upon applying Cuir de Russie, you will be overtaken by the sheer beauty of the fragrance. Truly amazing. Unfortunately, after an hour I have to try stuffing my wrist up my nose to get a whiff. Pretty safe bet nobody else can smell it, so I'd say the longevity is pretty poor. Too bad, too, because it really is great smelling at first.

M's avatar

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

I simply love this one: It has the most natural and raw orange blossom note I have ever experienced in a fragrance! I would describe it as a "green" citrus scent - as opposed to a "yellow" one (e.g. Floris Summer Limes, Eau Sauvage). But beware: Nearly each bottle seems to be a little different, so choose well before purchasing...

Envy for Men by Gucci

The color is very correct for what you get. Intense cedarwood and assorted spices, very well-composed. Criminally inexpensive, I try to wear this as much as I can. It doesn't really project as a 'sensual' fragrance on me, but it does satisfy my taste for odd woody scents.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

This smells like leaded gasoline exhaust with a polite floral accompaniment. I absolutely love it. It's an impressive and wonderful fragrance, but thoroughly unconventional. It wears particularly well on my skin. It's a good companion to l'Anarchiste... both remind me of old machinery.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Powerful opening with lots of fresh apple. Very solid and recognizable, and rather strong. It does tend to overstay its welcome, and smells very "cheap" after a few hours. Save this one for the spring.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This really doesn't work on me unless I skip showering. The top notes give me a headache, but my patience is rewarded with an awesome incense drydown. It smells really perverted along the way. I'm still trying to find an appropriate way to wear this one. As a fragrance, it's extremely bold and impressive, but there are few situations where I can make use of it. The eucalyptus helps me go to sleep.

L'Anarchiste by Caron

This sure was surprising and strange. It smells like you've worked on a car and washed your hands with a bar of gas station soap, then eaten an orange. Intense and really different. The retain box is beautiful.

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

Absolute perfection. Leather, horses, dead Indians, and the best tobacco you can find. Anachronistic and astounding. The drydown is powerfully masculine, almost reminiscent of Kouros' incense note. I'm about 20 years too young to wear this. Maybe I'll be able to afford it by then.

Paul Smith Extreme Men by Paul Smith

Fresh and spicy, dries down to the scent of bleached paper. Very, very nice, but doesn't project very well. Unfortunately, the screw threads easily break off of the bottle.

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Stunning newcomer. I like to think of it as a powdery blue version of the thick-bodied darkness that scents like Envy carry. The aromatic woods are correctly balanced, and the top notes are effectively subdued, muting the fragrance yet retaining much depth. It's not very masculine, but it certainly isn't feminine either. This is exactly the sort of thing I like to wear.

nase's avatar

Germany Germany

Tendre Poison by Christian Dior

Tendre Poison has been my signature scent, when I was about 20 years old, and I have loved it very much. Sometimes, I still use it today. TP is very fresh, green, fruity and soft and delicious. I don't know exactly, what's in there - surely rose, apple and the smell of green leaves and grass. The sweet note in it remembers in fact of the original Poison, but there's a strong fresh-green note dominating. It always makes me feel being in the jungle breathing all the smells of exotic plants and fruits and the moist and warm air.
    It's definitely as good as Poison, I like it much more. Hypnotic Poison in my opinion has nothing at all in common with Poison, Pure Poison only a bit. But Tendre Poison and Poison are of same origin. When - in terms of the jungle - Poison is the black panther, Tendre Poison is a green mamba.

nase's avatar

Germany Germany

Zen (version #2 / pearl) by Shiseido

It's astonishing, how such a soft and light scent can have such long lasting power! Maybe the name is program - Lao tse wrote: the soft and tender is more powerfull than the hard and strong.
    Zen Pearl smell like white flowers and baby-powder, clean and fresh and smooth - remembering on cherry blossoms flying in a tender spring breeze - but this still at the next day!
    I don't get it.
    The mother of pearl bottle fits it perfectly!
    For the right person this scent is great. In my opinion, even a child could wear it or a special kind of woman.
    Among the light cherry-blossom-baby-powder-scents one of the best!

Propaganda13's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

There's something I like about the scent. Unfortunately, I started to get a headache from it. When I asked a co-worker's opinion, her response was "You didn't buy that, did you?"

roland's avatar

Conquest for Men by Agatha Brown

Very nice fragrance with alot of sillage and excellent longevity.This isn't one of those sweet or aquatic fragrances which are a dime a dozen these days.In fact it is unlike anything out there to my knowledge,hence is quite original I think.Highly recommend.

stackofiv's avatar

Coeur-Joie by Nina Ricci

I have fond memorys of this scent....actually I long for it.....
    My Mother wore it in Greece when I was a little girl, it evokes memorys of hot days and refreshing floral smells, dewy flowers in the sun.
    FRAGRANCE NOTES - Neroli, bergamot, Florentine Iris, Oriental rose, jasmine, violet, Woods.
    It was very fresh and light but lingered perfect for a hot summers day.
    Mum had huge bottles of the stuff the Eau de toilette was in a big round bottle and must have held 300 mls I was told these huge bottles were made in the 1960s especially for the Greeck market as it was used as a cooling cologn by rich people.
    I would love to be able to smell this fragrence again someday.

steveharrisonmc's avatar

Citron Citron by Miller Harris

Wow. Wow. What a great Citrus fragrance. It is clean and fresh yet in no way synthetic. The mint combines with the citrus top notes to form a beautiful aroma. The only drawback is the weak base notes. They smell nice but are gone too quickly. This one only lasts me about 5/6 hours but the first 4 are heavenly. Thumbs up.

amaixner's avatar

Blue by Ralph Lauren

Tried this one recently. It's a cool scent with a nice touch of lilac.

Boy4Pele's avatar

Weekend for Men by Burberry

I do not like this fragarance when I first test it on my skin, it's sharpy and too strong with all the citrus blens...But later in the day, it's about noon... It get so warm and sweet dramatically...I surrendered... I love that smell slightly peeping from my sleeves and floating around

You love it or you hate it...it depends a lot on your characater and quality

christykat's avatar

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

I like it! Smells clean and fresh. Not too strong, but still manages to last all day. It's flowery at first, but the scent changes a lot as it dries down and settles in. I can't stop sniffing myself. :P

Davisdujour's avatar

New West for Him by Aramis

This fragrance is about as good as the show "Friends" is funny. There's a reason the former was discontinued and the latter was cancelled. Neither are bad; it's just that I have much better things to both wear and watch.

iMaverick's avatar

Sultan by Swiss Arabian Perfumery

This is my first Arabic scent purchased at quite a good price also. It came in a nice presentation, a wood like box with 2 doors that swing open and nested in ruffled satin sits the 100ml bottle of Eau de Parfum which cost under $40. I don't think you'd find any EdP for that kind of price.

Swiss Arabia is known to use well sought-after raw materials supplied by Givaudan-Roure that come through in these exotic perfumes. Sultan is a rich oriental with sharp woods, chypre, spices and a pronounced rose note but keeps its over the top masculinity regardless. It opens with a bright yet warm fruit note (not candied), then the rose blooms bright with the help of saffron and other spice, sandalwood and agarwood, then dries down with musk, more agarwood, and vetiver.

This smells like a classic Arabic composition, heady and powerful, you can't mistake it from anything else. You can wear this with a black tshirt and jeans, to a dark wool sweater and cords, right up to a tuxedo--it seems versatile enough to me. It's powdery chypre nature reminds me a little of Antaeus without the stuffiness. This is for the guy who dares to wear a rose scent, but afraid of thinking he'll smell too soft with it. No mistaking what gender this scent is made for. Rather heady, think twice however about wearing this to work.

's avatar

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

I'm not crazy about the name but I do like the fragrance very much. MyQueen opens rich and sweet with violets, though to me they're obvious throughout. Heliotrope, vanilla, florals also obvious throughout and a job well done balancing the patchouli, musk, vetiver and cedar. Beautiful drydown -- soft and powdery and lightly sweet and earthy. Reminds me of both Le Dix and Dolce Vita. And sometimes, for a second, I think there's cumin lurking in the shadows. My imagination, I'm sure.

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

Opens up with an insane cucumber, like a bathtub full of the sliced vegetable, a bit nauseating actually. But it dries down to something completely else, somewhat Fahrenheit-ish actually. Not bad, and sporting a very good longevity. This has also received Luca Turins "blessing" if I'm not mistaken.

MonkeyManMatt's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Aramis Bermuda Tonic by Aramis

Very light and breezy, not something for a cold climate or mindset. Bermuda Tonic is very Piña Colada-ish and features a pleasant blend of bitter rhum and sweet coconut. It is a tonic however and probably intentionally designed to be sprayed very liberally since it´s quite weak. Inviting packaging, and a nice release after numerous Lauder dissapointments.