Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

scenteur7's avatar

Centaures Cuir Étalon by Pierre Cardin

Wow! Leather, cinnamon, and is it tonka? This stuff is wonderful, and surprisingly easy to wear. If you see this, BUY IT!

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

Ugh...This is $100 for what? This is a icky perfume. It smells gorgeous at first, but then...ugh! It smells like my head and shoulders shampoo. And believe me thats not the best smell in the world!

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

ew...it has like a terriable old lade smell. The bottle is also not that attractive!

Escada by Escada

This smelt good. I really liked it. It had a great sporty summer scent and it was a lot of fun. You can really smell the orange in it and I enjoyed it a lot!!

Unknown's avatar

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

I just bought it, I hope I like it.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I revisted this one after a few years and I think describing this as a pleasant lounging scent is just about right. There's nothing mysterious or extraordinary about it, but it is very comfortable to wear.

Devin by Aramis

I revisited this recently and I must say that doing so was a huge mistake. This scent is so sharp that just a passing sniff generates feelings of acid being doused on the brain, eyes and nasal passages. Needless to say, I quickly disposed of this poison.

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

Once you get past the edgy sharpness of the citrus topnotes this fragrance is really good. The drydown is a smooth, creamy, soap-clean scent that begs to be sniffed again and again. I'm very fond of this one!

Christoph_Georg's avatar

Le Temps D'Aimer by Alain Delon

Its a rare one by now. A typical, classical womens scent. I would even say its a timless one and it has a certain charm like Miss Dior for example. Its not like nowadays scents, all light and bright but be patient with it and it will reveal its beautiful style very soon. I like to smell it on my girlfriend for elegant, formal occasions. It helps to keep the memories of theses hours very well. Very romantic also.

Christoph_Georg's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Oh yeah, thats a mans cologne!!! Fresh, citrus, vetiver, yummy hmmm....Still classic though, has a great personality, nothing like most of the new scents which often smell like they want to satisfy everyones taste. It has its own style so some will like it and some won't. Guerlain was very clever to relaunch it instead of discontinueing it like so many others do. They believed in their product and did very well. I would say that this is a scent for men above 30 though. Some of the views also suggested that girls could and do wear it too for fun. I must say, I like that idea!

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

All sorts of green in the opening—smells so much like cut grass that I wonder why there isn’t the occasional whiff of lawnmower exhaust. Not a very complex scent to my nose—seems almost linear. The cut grass smell is attention getting and actually very pleasurable at first, but on my skin it soon turns stale and that staleness just hangs on and on. This is about as interesting as…watching grass grow. After an eternity, when the grass is ready to stale itself away into oblivion, I get a stab of floral and ginger, then everything peters out. Why are the sandalwood and incense so anemic? —Dying of boredom I would guess.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

There’s little doubt that this is one of the most important men’s fragrances of recent times. The chocolate note in A*men brought sweet gourmand into the masculine mainstream, and the coffee note and the creamy lavender in the top of A*Men’s pyramid were touches of brilliance. The caramel note didn’t hurt, either. These notes are done well with a natural feel to them. A*Men is a true gourmand and for the first time, a masculine gourmand fragrance became successful -- the public went for it big time. But the gourmand elements weren’t the only strong points. The middle and the base levels of A*men are as good as or better than the top gourmand accords. The middle level comes through as woody – patchouli and cedar – with very pleasant masculine accords, good sillage,, and very good longevity. The base is inspired; it’s one of the best bases of all the fragrances of recent years IMHO: it's warm, sweet, rich, in its partial gourmandness… coffee, tonka, musk, and styrax… good refinement, very good projection, excellent longevity. I suspect that many of the young wearers of A*men were likely experiencing something they hadn’t experienced before: a well made fragrance that the ladies loved and that stayed great smelling for hours. Its gourmandness doesn’t offer the kind of accords that I like to wear, but A*men is finely made, creative, and interesting. (Edit of the 10 January 2006 review. Changed from neutral.)

10th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

Casual Friday by Escada

It took me a while to get into this one; I didn’t really like or understand it at first but I did feel a bit of intrigue, so I bought a couple of minis and, over a period of time, learned to really love it. The opening is interesting — sharp herbal green and spices that have a definite gourmand vibe to them, especially because of the anise. This accord puts me off at first (somewhat synthetic) but in ten minutes, it has settled down to a very nice, rather subtle gourmand. The movement then goes to the wonderful and comfortable floral / spicy middle: The carnation, jasmine, and cinnamon stand out a little more than the other notes and provide an excellently balanced accord. This mid accord is not really gourmand, but it still has a bit of that gourmand aura left in it. The fragrance finishes with the restrained sharpness of cedar, oak moss, patchouli, and tonka; the cedar is very prominent in the dry down and lasts forever, it seems, giving Casual Friday excellent longevity. This is a very nicely designed fragrance — more subtle than most of the other gourmand and highly wearable. It is an enticing fragrance that should not have been discontinued.

10th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2008)

cK be by Calvin Klein

It is, as others have said, an anti-fragrance fragrance—I can barely smell it. But I’m intrigued by the idea of using a fragrance in order to NOT use a fragrance—is this the “negative space” in the art of perfumery? Whatever……it’s a concept I could really get into—or not.
    Actually, I like cK be very much—it’s a lovely scent that really doesn’t project as other fragrances do, but it provides an ambiance that is very warm and unique. There are many times I want just this kind of performance from a fragrance, and I prefer cK be to TM’s Cologne for that purpose.

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

Creamy and woody, Diesel Plus Plus is original. The opening accord is unrelated to the lacteal references of the rest of the fragrance — it is green with fresh notes, and I would guess that there’s a trace of lavender in there, too. While not synthetic, the opening accord is a touch artificial to my nose; nevertheless, I find it more and more pleasant each time I wear it. It has truly become an agreeable scent to wear. The middle is interesting in a dairy sort of way: The milk notes take precedence while a subtle green remains in the background. I have come to see the middle lacteal notes as being quite enjoyable — sweet, clean, fresh, warm…pasteurized. I suppose there’s nothing like the smell of milk to make us mammals feel a bit of comforting nostalgia. The drydown, though, is weak in intensity; it doesn’t bring the “sensual wood” out very strongly and it retains much of the gradually lessening milk note. Diesel Plus Plus does not have a lot of longevity. As an oddity it’s rather fun, and I enjoy wearing it every once in a while, but I think that somewhat of a stronger, woodier, longer lasting base would seriously improve it. Go lightly with it — it has a headache producing potential.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I can certainly see why Dolce and Gabbana is so popular; this best seller has a lot more going for it than a successful marketing campaign. It has an strong citrus opening but I get as many aromatics out of the opening as I get citrus: the sage and lavender share equally with the citrus accord—both lend their aromatic character to the spices and greens already rising from the middle accord. The opening is a bit sharp and is both fresh and elegant, and it sets the stage for further excellence in this fragrance. The floral and spicy middle notes are of quality construction and possibly lacking a bit in masculinity. Smoothly blended but, as in the opening, with a bit of bite that keeps it interesting. When I say there’s a sharpness in the top and middle accords, I mean that as a compliment. The sharpness gives the zing—the sparkle to Dolce and Gabbana PH’s excellently balanced accords. I don’t care for the drydown quite as much as I like the top and middle of the pyramid—I don’t particularly like the tobacco note, but the wood and tonka come through very nicely. Dolce and Gabbana has very good accords, good sillage, and excellent longevity…it is an excellent fragrance, and it deserves to be as popular as it is.

10th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2008)

Emporio Armani White He by Giorgio Armani

Emporio Armani White He, is quite a muted fragrance. The opening is a fresh, light and subtle citrus with the herbs from the middle already affecting the citrus notes to create very nice citrus / herbal accord. The herbals wax as the citruses wane, and I find the heart notes especially beautiful: It’s an excellent natural herbal accord with a touch of cardamom. It lasts surprisingly well for an Armani fragrance. The base is quite simple with its musk, which stays very close to the skin. I can really respect the warmth, beauty, and refinement of this fragrance — it is nicely designed and very well put together. I, myself, prefer fragrances with a little more presence and greater longevity than this, but as far as modern fragrances go, this is very good.

Envy for Men by Gucci

I enjoy Envy: I find it uncomplicatedly pleasant. In the several years that I’ve worn it, I haven’t discovered a note in it that wasn’t obvious the first time I tested it. Envy has no hidden layers to discover — it does not have that Mona Lisa smile. Envy doesn’t move and develop as many other scents do — it’s quite linear and it is an lovable linear wood / ginger accord. It smells like Envy at the first blast, the middle holds excellently for a long time and smells like…Envy. Hours and hours later, the last olfactory molecules rising from the skin offer the faint remnants of… Envy. Even though it is not an intellectual or challenging fragrance, Envy continually and continuously triggers in me an appreciatively spontaneous: ‘Damn, I smell good.’ Unsophisticated and lacking in complexity it is; but it is also a warm, wearable compliment magnet. It has one of the most pleasant smelling aromas in my designer arsenal. (Edit of 10 January 2006 review)

10th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

Etiquette Bleue by D'Orsay

What a beautiful fragrance. Truly an extraordinary experience. There’s a gentleness and proportion about it that can only come from a less frantic time. The opening presents as refined, translucent, and beautiful a citrus accord as I’ve experienced, and yet, as subtle as it is, it has real presence and does not abandon its masculinity; it contains a balanced citrus — lemon and orange, with strong support from neroli and petitgrain. The same praise can be given to the middle accord — a subtle rosewood, orange blossom combination — simple and yet breath taking in its subtlety. In the base, the balsam predominates. In fact, the balsamic note is a strong element of the total fragrance and is really the soul of Etiquette Bleue. This is a fragrance that is about artistry rather than marketing — about wispyness rather than minimalism. It’s an incredible blend that I wish would last longer but is totally awesome every second it does last.

10th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 March, 2008)

Façonnable by Façonnable

There’s a somewhat interesting accord in the opening — I think it has to do with the combination of wild mint, lavender, and galbanum: it is quite aromatically potent — even grabs at my breath a bit, yet at the same time it is quite fresh — a freshness that is further helped by the aldehydes that help open the fragrance. There’s a nice floral center — none of the floral notes seems to dominate and the accord is quite pleasant even if it is rather characterless. The drydown is woody and ambery and not too sweet. Façonnable is a competent fragrance, acceptably constructed, pleasant aromas. I don’t notice any of the synthetic ambiance or excessive sweetness that are so endemic in many of the modern fragrances. The only shortcoming with this fragrance as far as I’m concerned is that it doesn’t offer any kind of special intrigue to me.

10th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 March, 2008)

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Because the scent is so heady and because the patchouli (and some would say the civet) is so recognizable, Givenchy Gentleman seems to be all about patchouli, but it isn’t. True, the patchouli dominates, but backing up that domination is a beautifully rounded and balanced support cast, which makes this a fine quality, multidimensional fragrance. The tarragon, cinnamon, rose, and leather give depth, character, and mellowness to the patchouli (which is rather thin by itself), while the citrus, honey, and cedar add the needed sparkle. It is a high quality scent but it should be approached with care because the healthy doses of patchouli and civet might be off putting to some.

H.M. by Hanae Mori

A designer gourmand EDT that opens with fruity, herbal, and lavender notes. On paper the green and herbal notes dominate; on my skin the main notes are lavender, current, and jasmine control the accord. It’s an interesting accord and nicely balanced—more than a bit sweet, but not excessively gourmand at this point. I don’t care for most sweet fragrances and Hanae Mori’s opening is not excessively sweet on my skin, as it apparently is on others. The sweetness does increase some as the fragrance moves onto the floral / green middle notes, but I think it’s the loss of the lavender and herbs replaced by the vanilla that make it seem sweeter; in other words the sweetness was always there, it was simply being masked by other notes. At any rate, the notes are balanced and proportioned excellently and the movement of notes is smooth and refined. The middle is listed as floral, but it doesn’t seem floral to me: The green and sweet notes still dominate, and I can’t pick out the individual rose, iris, or lily of the valley notes. The jasmine note is very much present. To my nose, the chocolate signifies the movement into the base. Only two notes — chocolate and vanilla — dominate the base — the others there are simply support notes to the gourmand accord. I like HM: It’s a nice, well-made, ultimately very sweet fragrance which exhibits good moves. It behaves nicely on my skin and I find it quite enjoyable.

10th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th April, 2008)

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

As far as I’m concerned, MonkeyManMatt has given the perfect analysis of Habit Rouge. My reaction to it was almost the same as his although I didn’t actually vomit, but I certainly felt the initial impulse. The sickly vanilla sweetness is overpowering, and to my nose, too, the fragrance is very feminine, not that I would wish this scent on a person of either gender. It’s not a skin reaction that I’m experiencing, either: I tried to use it as a room spray and felt the same reaction to it. To me, this illustrates how unique and individual are our sense interpretations are: It really is stomach turning for me.

10th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 09 March, 2008)

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

With a romantic name that recalls legendary India and with notes like cardamom, heliotrope, cinnamon, rose, jasmine, patchouli, and cedar, one might think that this is dripping with exotic opulence; it certainly isn’t. Though Jaïpur Homme is certainly not subtle, its luxuriousness is restrained. Because it is an Oriental, it is lush and rich, but Boucheron has made it a refined and distinguished richness. Its lushness is held within reasonable boundaries, while its formality has a distinct edginess to it. It travels a very fine line between sensual and formal — between luxurious and sophisticated — and the result is one of most the beautiful masculine olfactory creations in the designer world.

10th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2008)

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

The red pepper (as in bell or sweet, not hot), with a little support from the oakmoss dominates the opening—it provides an understated, clean, aquatic introduction and continuing note to this semi gourmand scent. This opening provides little sillage but it holds on the skin for about an hour. The movement to the mid notes is extremely subtle but the coffee (more like a “cup of” than the roasted beans) finally begins skulking in the background along with a reluctant cedar and an obscure wood note, (you find them when you learn to look hard enough). Subtlety is one thing, “barely there” is another: The mid notes are extremely creative and interesting, and it’s sad that they have not been given more strength and presence. The dry down is also subtle with a definite but tamed vetiver slightly dominating a sharp but hushed wood note. There is also a quiet sweetness there whose origins I don’t recognize. The total presence of Miracle Homme is understated and delicate, even so it manages to retain its masculinity. It is way too underbearing for me, but it’s a high quality fragrance and would be excellent for those who would appreciate its subtlety and vegetable gourmandism.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

My initial reactions to Paco Rabanne were far from positive. I was shocked that a respected classic could be so sharp, overbearing, gaudy, and, yes, CHEAP. On my subsequent wearings, I made sure to clear the nozzle of the applicator first and then went a lot lighter on the trigger—like half a squirt. The results were much better. The top notes now were not that disgusting blast of green, but a quite likeable green containing a prominent, clean lavender. This lavender note stayed well into the powdery, honey, musky, mossy dry down. I’m still trying to decide how much I like this particular lavender note—I really suspect it will grow on me and that I will end up being a convert.

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

This one was a Christmas gift in the mid 80’s. It opened with a citrus and very quickly moved to a spicy floral and leather. I recall really enjoying the powdery dry down—it was actually quite elegant. I enjoyed the fragrance and used up the bottle. I liked Pierre Cardin Pour Homme very much. I didn’t replace it, I believe, because I liked Azzaro better.

Signature pour Homme by S.T. Dupont

Sweet, smoky, spicy, Oriental. The opening I get from Signature is a warm combination of citrus, green, and spice all wrapped in a warm incense aura. The citrus and green disappear quickly, leaving a rich spicy, smoky, wood accord. The middle contains a restrained floral element along with cedar, discreet spices, and that persistent incense skulking in the background. The movement into the dry down seems to be a back and forth shift among a cedar pencil smell, an amber / vanilla accord, a fresh pepper, and the skulking incense. The dry down is long lasting, soft, sweet, amber, with enough pepper left over to keep it interesting. S. T. Dupont Signature Pour Homme is an interesting scent with a definite sillage. I think that this scent might have been partially inspired by Opium Pour Homme, much tamed down, of course, and that inspiration puts Signature in very good company. With a very light touch in application it is appropriate, I think, for the office. It is an excellent masculine fragrance. (Edit of 10 January 2006 review.)

10th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2009)

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Silver Mountain Water has a beautiful sweet / tart vibe going for it. It has light, delicate, and yet full accords and the interplay between the tart currents and violet, the smooth musks and patchouli, and the enticing green tea, forms an intriguing complexity rare in such a light fragrance. It’s not often that I find scents this light and airy or aquatic to be so satisfying and complete. I think this is a true achievement in the perfumer’s art. So very lovely but so very ephemeral. Unfortunately for me, Silver Mountain Water is neither silver nor mountain in longevity on my skin… My skin seems to suck it right in and it is completely gone in forty-five minutes. I want more longevity than that in my fragrances. Apparently many others do not have the longevity problem with this scent. In that case, it is a fragrance I would recommend testing. The person it lasts on is lucky, indeed.

10th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2007)

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

The green notes dominate the opening and I find it a rather unusual accord — its greenness is quite stark and not at all sweet, making it a rarity in modern designer fragrances. I get a lot of mint in it and it isn’t a sweetened mint such as I am used to smelling—this is the dried mint leaves that turn the scent bitter. The only citrus I get in the opening are very much lurking and hiding in the background, and when the mid floral notes start showing up, they, too, are quickly shot down by the mint / green dominance — except for the violet leaves. I really could do without the violet leaves, I find them disagreeable, and I have come to have varying levels of dislike for violet leaves in other fragrances. The dry down is musk and wood. The coniferous wood retires to the background but hangs on for a very long time as an extremely subtle skin scent. I never did find the accords very engaging, but they are habituated to supplying a fragrance that is fresh, comfortable, and long lasting: One that never smells cologny or perfumy — one that does not offend. As a matter of fact — just the opposite: This was one of my most complimented fragrances. I haven’t worn it much since I discovered MPGs Baime, and others of its ilk, but it has served me well for years.