Fragrance Reviews from January 2006

Cuiron by Helmut Lang

Great leather fragrance—a sharp citrus combined with a masculine “fluid” leather provides a very strong opening. When joined by plum, wood, “sensual” leather, and suede, the sharpness lessens and the smoothness intensifies. The base of “noble” leather and musk is rich and subtle: This is the best part of the progression—discreet, smooth, and wonderful. All this leather and still Cuiron stays suave and civilized.

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Most say ‘passage to hell,’ some claim the ‘rite of passage,”’ others say it was the ‘passage to Y2K.’ There’s also the suggestion that it is simply an alley-street, in Paris: ‘Passage D’Enfer.’ An enigmatic namesake for an enigmatic fragrance. Dust, smoke, incense and I am transported back to my childhood: the church with lilies and the swinging brass censers smoking of frankincense. I can almost hear the Gregorian chant. Such a nostalgic and subtle fragrance: an incense that doesn’t overwhelm—a background that is lily pure and clean and touched with sweet. Truly a masterpiece. Take the journey—the passage to hell is a short trip—two hours at the most—then you need to reapply.

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

Somewhat reminiscent of J'Adore, Vera Wang for Men is more subtle than not in its green and citrus opening, and in its spicy nutmeg and leather heart. I really don’t get the anise except in a secondary sort of way, but the nutmeg and leather are present in a smooth but otherwise pedestrian accord. Whether the top or the middle, the scent is demure, sweet, pleasant, and conventional. The dry down is a wood and tobacco accord that is nice but it could use more strength and substance. Longevity is not the best — three or four hours at the most on my skin. Vera Wang for Men underperforms as far as I’m concerned, but there is nothing that I really dislike about it. It is missing that special something that makes for a thumbs up fragrance… it misses uniqueness, but it is nicely assembled, and it is quite good at suggesting that something of substance is hiding somewhere in its shallowness. (Edit of January 11, 2006 review)

11th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 19th June, 2009)

Goddess_Dreams's avatar

Venise / Venice by Yves Rocher

I remember this stuff from long long time ago but it was Kingdom that reminded me of it. I have Kingdom now and wear it once in a while, due to the fact that it's just not really the one you want to wear around your boss every day (if you know what I mean) ;) But it was totally of Venise that it reminds me of.

Ibiza_Hippie's avatar

Rockin' Rio by Escada

I actually really like this fragrance! In fact, after smelling 100+ this is the very first one I've fallen in love with. It's fruity, strong, vibrant, crisp and very young without being too over powering. All notes and layers smell wonderful, each getting more mature and slightly muskier as time passes. This is certainly a sweet, flirty, sexy fragrance for the young.

jldriesen's avatar

Arcus by Amouage

I like this fragnance very much. The notes follow. Top notes: fig leaves, lime zest, and bergamot. Heart notes: basil, lavender, cyclamen, and salty geranium. Base notes: lichen, patchouli, teakwood, and ambergris. I enjoy a smell of the ocean that is more like the real thing than does Erolfia, etc. At first it smelled odd, but I appreciate it more everytime I use it. I found Arcus to be well worth the price.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

The gentleman's citrus. I like eau sauvage more and more each time I wear it. In the summer, I naturally find myself using light citrus fragrances more, but Eau Sauvage is head and shoulders above most by virtue of its classic, retro feel. It maintains a kind of dignified, masculine put-together-ness, which puts most other citruses to shame and exposes them for the watery lemonade they are. An unassailable classic.

11th January, 2006 (Last Edited: 26th April, 2006)

Happy for Men by Clinique

I find it very soapy, with topnotes reminiscient of Mugler Cologne. It really reminds me of fancy soap or a scented candle, there is something "waxy" to it throughout. Very far from a natural orange smell. That said, it is not unpleasant at all.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Pine needles and wild berries. incense and liquor: Michael is a very lush scent. It is luxurious and bold and dandified (owing its lineage, of course, to Le Dandy, the king of all boozy frags). Its heavy, no doubt about it, and loud, but I dont get as much leather as some others. To me it is very alcoholic smelling, more in the class of Gucci ph than Knize Ten. As has been said previously, this is not for those brought up on AdG and its many Echoes, but if you like your scents stiff with no chaser, give it a try. To me, its just too much.

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

For an aqua, this smells VERY floral to me. Inasmuch, I think it defeats the guiding principle of of acquatic frags, as it feels sort of thick and heavy. Never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but i wish it were more ozonic, to add some crispness. Not much on longevity either. pass.

Baldessarini Del Mar by Baldessarini

A real anomaly amnog Aquas, Del Mar is spicy, refined, has good sillage and is long lasting. Who knew Patchouli and Cinnamon could work in something so ostensibly "summer"-themed. Its the only Aqua that I could imagine dressing up with a suit (though it'd have to be khaki or seersucker)

Stetson Black by Stetson

Smells eerily like Kenneth COle Signature to me, but for $5, pretty damn good.

Joshaugustt's avatar

Apparition Homme by Ungaro

There's nothing really wrong with this new scent from Ungaro...but it's hardly strong enough to make it out the door. Maybe they'll come out with an Apparition Homme Intense, and that might just be a thumbs up. For Ungaro, who's known for solid, distinctive, long lasting fragrances...this seems to be a modern step backward. Joshaugustt

kewart's avatar

Narcisse Noir by Caron

This a a fabulous,"knock'em dead" fragrance. I put too much on the first time I wore it, but now realise the smallest amount is needed! This suggests deep purple to me - not sure why. I always feel special when I wear it - very sexy and empowered!

kewart's avatar

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I bought a bottle of this very unusual fragrance in a parfumerie in Annecy, France. It comes in a chic, brown glass bottle with a mauve lid and the contents are fabulous. Ir reminds me of camping weekends in the woods - naughty, but nice! Very spicy (cinnamon seems to predominate) but also woody (cedar). A gorgeous, warm scent. It makes you want to keep sniffing your wrist!!

kyrose91's avatar

Shania by Stetson

Like Jasmine, & was pleasantly suprised by this fragrance. I love Chanel Chance, but this reminds me of that at a more reasonable cost with a twist of something different. Could wear this scent day or night! Love it!

lagloriacubana's avatar

Norway Norway

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Despite its popularity, this is one of my favorite summer scents. Issey starts off with a burst of Yuzu (Japanese lemon) and continues with very nice middle notes of lily. The woody base makes this fragrance last all day (at least on me), and also makes it suitable for occasional wearing during the rest of the seasons.

Martial_Law's avatar

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A left-wing compost of fermented rose, ripe plum/fruit, amber, and musty wood -I reserve this frag for kite flying conventions.

Antaeus by Chanel

As someone pointed out earlier, conservative is the word here. A herbal, highly manly concoction with strong notes of patchouli, leather and red fruit. Dry and strong. Not one for the timid, then again - what released in 1981 is?

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Bk is a safe scent, haven't come across anyone who's not attracted to it's sweet and incensey aroma. It's very similar to Lolita Lempicka minus the licorice. Eucalyptus, wood and a smokey sweetness creates a recognizeable and pleasant aura. One of my gay friends told me that it is huge within their community and I can easily understand why. Another hit from this distinguished house.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Classic indeed, and the opening citrus zest is to die for. But as always, this fades ridiculously fast and the whole scent is very weak. There's also some slightly "stuffy" notes in the mix, which are sure to scare of many young guys on the hunt for their signature fragrance.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

A somewhat different take on the classic PM. It is indeed stronger as the name suggests, but not with great longevity unfortunately. It feels more modern, but not edgy in anyway. Main difference is a clear added note of nutmeg & something smelling slightly like coconut. More interesting than the original and with the badly needed extra strength (Pour Monsieur lasts approximately 15 minutes on me).

Pasha by Cartier

Pasha is an overdose of green notes. I don't find it balanced enough + it's extremely close to something else, can't remember what. It does smell kind of exclusive, as often is the case with this brand. But there is something off putting with the strong herbal dryness. Check out Jazz or Tsar instead, both in the same genre and superior IMHO.

Pasha Fraîcheur Menthe by Cartier

Unfortunately not improving on the original at all. This is a hollow, stale & simple scent that isn't worthy of the Cartier name. Yves Saint Laurent's Live Jazz does the mint and citrus thing way better.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Superb blend, although it has absolutely NOTHING in common with the oiginal Egoïste. Woody, dry and fresh at the same time. There is a smokey, burnt cedar vibe going on that makes it very original as well. A masculine, modern, clean scent - perfect for urban enviroments. The only thing resembling it is Decleor's Un Air de Java.

Mr.K's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

I like this scent. It isn't super citrus like smelling and its more of a soft smell, and its not like some where it feels like an icepick is being shoved up your nose. It lasts for a very long time as I've worn it all day and still heard comments at the end of the night. My Girlfriend absolutely loves it.

Mr.K's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

I think this is a pretty solid scent. it doesn't smell alchohol-ish off the start and turns into a fairly sweet smell. One of my personal favourites, and the girlfriend thinks its alright.

Not to mention the bottle is pretty sweet =)

musky_monkey's avatar

L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Smells very good and fresh, but I could not help thinking that if I walked past someone who was facing the other direction, that they would think a woman had walked past. As a male, it's not really the impression I want to leave behind.

Noseorgy's avatar

Le Jasmin by Annick Goutal

This is the way all women should smell. Pure femininty at its best. To describe this frag anymore would ruin it.

ordai's avatar

Finland Finland

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

sweet but not too sweet.. vanilla and heliotrope. This is perfect scent in all occasion. It is special, but not too spesial, so you can even be in job interview with it.
    Only problem is bottle, it is not easy to take with you.. and if you want to be in cucciheaven, you had to get more it during day....