Fragrance Reviews from October 2006

lefay's avatar

Mon Coeur by Fragonard

Mon Coeur is a lovely blend of spring flowers, with tuberose at the forefront. It is reminiscent of Fracas and Versace Blonde, but is less flamboyant and narcotic than the former and more complex and refined than the latter. Has some depth and a sweet wistfulness.

Smoth_007's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Cool Water by Davidoff

I have no idea why but this reminds me of toilet bowl cleaner (no offense to any Davidoff lover out there). An overall unpleasant experience.

zztopp's avatar

Iceberg Twice Homme by Iceberg

Iceberg Twice opens with a top accord of sweet mint - which is a bit unusual. The sweetness never gets cloying, probably because of the mint note. I am wary of overly sweet fragrances, but Iceberg Twice works in the harshest of summers. From there, it transitions to a slightly herbal accord, before settling into a base of sandalwood and lime. The use of lime in the basenotes is excellent - infact, it is this combination which keeps the original accord of "sweet mint" stable throughout all the note phases. While it is a light fragrance, longevity is excellent.

Iceberg Twice smells like a sweeter version of Live Jazz - if Live Jazz was a bit too much for you to handle because of the coriander note, give Iceberg Twice a try. While it isnt an overly impressive fragrance, and would probably only qualify for a neutal rating based on its composition, when combined with its excellent longevity and bang-for-the-buck, it lands in the thumbs up category for me.

badaim's avatar

Jake by Hollister

Quite genric, not really anything *special* about this scent.

If you ever need a sniff, just walk into a Hollister store...they douse the store in this.

Eluard's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

The notable thing about this fragrance is that it is unlike anything else on the market at present. (I say “at present” because it is sure to be imitated within a year.) It is thus distinctive and unique—both good things in the overcrowded smell-alike world of scents where everything seems to have been done and few things stand out. Terre stands out—and how! The opening is of cold earth, and is faintly off-putting. It’s a sour smell, rather than the modern feminine “sweet” that most men’s scents seem to have. But it dries down quickly to something quite lovely—without losing its distinctive masculinity. A great scent—and a distinctive, creative achievement. It shows that new things can still be done.

(For what it’s worth I detect no patchouli whatever.)

houseofstone's avatar

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

sadly, one of the most revolting things I have smelled on my skin. maybe it's just me, but it smells like cheap bathroom freshener. i grew up smelling orange blossoms on a daily basis, but this just smells fake and cloying.

anthony's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Come on people.. this scent is fantastic! Meander through any smokefilled club and you WILL turn the heads of more than a few young women with this blast of sweetness. It reminds me of the root beer candies I used to get in my pillowcase on halloween. Add a 1/4 tsp of vanilla and bam! you've got a dozen chicks licking your neck. Great stuff, powerful sillage. Grand slam Georgio.

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I found really wearable and elegant, and I´m really surprised that how exactly smelllike ZenzoAir, that if you spray both in every wrist, they would smell basicly the sam, with the difference that Rive gauche dries down in a more woody scent ;)

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

Agreeing to Paintrman, It´s not citrus at all, I can pick up sweet lime and mate, agarwood and surprise!:cola
    smell it deeplya nd you´ll find the fizzy on it
    mmmmmm
    lovely

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Ah, come on, folks -- don't be so harsh on it. When you stop and think about it, it's just like Cartier's Santos in many, many ways, only far less expensive.

Don't get so worked up over the fact that it's a drugstore fragrance now. I like it very much lo these many years after first encountering it -- it's just something I've grown out of.

Pasha by Cartier

Probably not for those over 40 or so. A very good signature fragrance, with a minty opening note and an admirable drydown. Great bottle, too.

Santos by Cartier

LOVE this fragrance, but just wanna be honest here and say that this yummy stuff is, IMHO, really just Halston Z-14 after it's wiggled out of jeans and gotten dressed in a tux.

Santos Concentrée by Cartier

Love this fragrance, but just wanna be honest here and say that this yummy stuff is, IMHO, really just Halston Z-14 out of jeans and dressed in a tux. The concentree is a little stronger and a little more complex, granted, but there ya have it.

The Dreamer by Versace

Reminds me of a cross between Joop and LeMale, with just a bit of lily thrown in, and perhaps a tad more tobacco.
    LOTS of compliments every time I put this one on.

All that said, DO apply with ease, as too much of this tasty stuff can easily overpower every nose within a 50 mile radius.

Baldessarini by Baldessarini

Very sweet floral -- a must-have for those guys who (like myself) favor Neroli Sauvage, Green Irish Tweed, Versace Man etc. NOT for the button-down crowd who only lean more toward such classically "masculine" scents as Trussardi L'Uomo, Polo, Tabarome etc. I love this stuff, and its price has certainly come way down since this page was first posted on Basenotes.

Versace Man by Versace

A wonderful chameleon. Starts out very floral and citrus-y on me, with the neroli predominant. Dries down to a musky, amber-y base, then the florals come back in. Lasts all day. NOT for those who don't like florals and greens (e.g., Green Irish Tweed, Baldessarini etc.).

TafoyaF's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

Unforgivible is similar too Mi, but has a more citrusy fizz to it.

CuyahogaJoe's avatar

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I bovght this jvst for a vacation on Captiva Island. With all of the great food, drink and intimacy, it's hard not to like. Very nice and fresh, but the powder is a bit heavy on the dry down.

Randolph314's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I like the idea of a chocolate/coffee fragrance in theory, but this is just not well done. It's sweet in a very sickly way and very offputting. No thanks.

remy's avatar

Heaven by Chopard

The best fragrance. I love it. There is a problem buy it.

Snafu's avatar

Monk by Michael Storer

Late one night break into an antiquarian bookshop. In the centre of the room build an igloo of distressed examples of 17th/18th/19th century literature, a mix of leather and cloth bound. Climb into the igloo. Wait for the morning sun to warm the books and inhale deeply, you now have the smell of Monk and I love it.

No doubt there are those who have never dreamt of smelling like the head librarian of The Bodleian Library, but it will do for me.

Snafu's avatar

Il Giardino by Michael Storer

I am sure this one will greatly divide opinion with many dismissing it with one whiff, but that wouldn't be fair.

I had expected something in the vein of Aramis 900, a true walk in a walled garden on a warm summer's eve, but what I got was something around lunchtime in a park by the sea. Candy floss, suntan lotion, warmed marigolds and perhaps even some bubblegum stuck to my shoe.

This is the second fragrance to actually make me laugh, Bermuda Tonic being the first, and I laughed for the same reason, it is just simply a very happy fragrance.

Personally I will be wearing this on limited occasions, certainly never when an air of gravitas is required. Not one to be used for most funerals.

At first smelling you might dismiss it as childish, but give it time and keep your sense of humour, to me the pleasure to be had from this fragrance is worth it.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

this is a new experience for me. at first it was extreme, too musky, overt and in your face. this was in a store, i was told to let it warm up on my skin. by the time i got to the office, in the mid afternoon, it changed, it mellowed, got deeper (i don't know the vocabulary of the nose) the change in the vanilla, clove and lavender was great. you must be judicious. It's not ladylike and it's not for girls. this is a truly adult fragrance.

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

i wanted to experience this, i has tried it on at the store a while ago and remembered it. on my skin it was a disappointment. very masculine. the more time i gave it the worse it got. vetiver was too much, i expected it to be orange and wood. maybe it would be great on a blond. a blond guy.

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

too too. it's trying to hard and the drydown is worthless. you need to be really young to pull this off. sense memory of disco in the late 80s, amyl nitrate and all.

Aramis by Aramis

The only REAL cologne left today, a step up from the mass market Old spice and Brutes, however proceed with caution. I LOVE the smell of this, however passing it around my office at Aston Martin, the results were totally opposite - from the blokes I got "Ooo thats a bit wiffy" and from the mid twenties females got a screwed up face and a retching motion. I'm guessing those under 30 don't understand this one.
    I LOVE the sandalwood undertones and the realisation this would never be found on a body but a mans.
    Very manly, very mature, but also very different from the modern scents who have moved on to more girly transexual alternatives.

However, don't dismay! I have seen some younger chaps wanting a bit more from their scents, wanting to be a man finally and picking up the Brut bottles.... maybe, just mabye this is due for a major comeback?!
    In the meantime, if you are wearing a suit, have leathe rpadded walls, high-back leather chairs and even a leather umbrella, then this stuff will suit you perfectly, but for the res tof us its a bit pretentious.
    I would love to wear this scent, I just don't think I look the part until I'm earning a bit more £££, drive the jag, have a multiple winged house, and got
    shooting with my two dogs. At 24, this isn't going to be anytime soon :(

Brut by Fabergé

Getting more popular with the younger lads wanting some maturity, and so easy to source now all supermarkets stock it in the 'mans' section (not the males section, thats all hair products and sports sprays). I consider my brother a trendy london club goer, however i found some in his room recently, signifying its still ok to to wear Brut as a daily slap on, with something more posh for night outs.
    My bottle got half used, then I realised stylish scents were something I was prepaired to inves tin, so used it to scent my turkish bath instead.

Buy it if you are can't afford proper cologne, but avoid it if you have £20-30 to spare every couple of months on something else not so disposable.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Everyone else loves it but the wearer Thats how I can describe this. It doesn't drive me wild, i dont even know what it really smells of, but spray it on and you get compliments all day - I've heard of females actually hunting down males wearing this scent in clubs - I don't understand it. But, if you're single, grab a bottle, theres magick in it.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I bought htis cos I liked it. Then I kept wearing it because it got a lot of attention when sprayed specifically on skin (not clothes).
    I'm not sur eif i want more because its getting popular but its definately the widow maker. By that I mean you will leave your wife for a younger women the amount of attention you'll get.
    If you want a different woman a week, or 4 on the go at once, grab this, women love it.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

I currently wear this. Mainlybecause I'm waiting for my new scents to hit my doorstep but its a fine day to day fragrance.
    I wish it was a little more mature, they've ALMOST cracked it, but the slight sporty tones that come through ruine it for me on the whole, it just has too much ' Addidas under-arm spray' smell about it, for those who wear sporty stuff but dont actually do sport.
    Overall its ok onc eit settles, but can be a bit immature for my liking. If you're 15 or sporty, then its fine, otherwise eveyone just thinks you're not developed.
    Lacoste - take out the sports smells and you're onto something.