Fragrance Reviews from October 2006

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Nice smoky fragrance with citrus spices and woods.It has a deepness and it is really masculine.Not for young boys because the tobacco notes makes fragrance heavy.Recommended!

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I think this scent is very distinct with its aroma and with the shape of its bottle.Also very long lasting compared with other Hugo Boss scents.If you love sporty and strong colognes having fruity and green notes,this can be a good choice.

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Nice frangrance but not masculine.Lemony Yuzu notes and flowers makes o good smeell but I think it is more suitable for girls.
    Also not very strong.

Nemo by Cacharel

How can I define Nemo?Exotic and erotic,mysterious and cool at the same time.Very distinctive scent with woods and incense,very different bottle.The sweet smoky drydown makes me feel overconfident.Whenever I spray Nemo it reminds me the mystic and sophisticated people of Old Ages and I find myself lost in the pages of History.I can't understand why Cacharel discontinued it.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

If you mant to waste your money,go and get it.Like other Lacoste fragrances, this one is also short lasting.The musky drydown with vanilla is not distinctive.

Essential by Lacoste

Sweet as Lacoste PH AND Cool Play but contains more fun.Sporty and fruity.A good choice for the young boys.Like other Lacoste scents,lasts only for a couple of minutes.Worths a try

Cool Play by Lacoste

Cool at first with fruits and green notes but lasts only a few minutes.The vanilla based drydown is similar to Boss Elements Aqua.Not very impressive.

Paris Eau de Printemps by Yves Saint Laurent

Since this is a limited edition i will give a "limited" review of this scent, and will do the same for the rest of the Paris limiteds (it doesn't mean i don't like them -i do- but i am in a lazy mode right now):
    This is watered down version of YSL's Paris, less roses, less violets, much fresher, and you can feel the orange blossom a bit more. Very nice still.

Paris Premières Roses by Yves Saint Laurent

My flash review:
    Very delicate "light pink rose" scent, as opposed to the more intense pink/red rose of the original.
    Very fresh as well, with the lily of the valley being a bit more pronounced but never taking the center stage of the rose buds. This is an ahhh! scent.

Paris Roses Enchantées by Yves Saint Laurent

Fresh as the other limited Paris eds, now with a presence of different, more varied colored roses of the "light orange hue" family and others. It has a very light fruity note to it too. A very "happy" scent.

chaelaran1008's avatar

Red Roses by Jo Malone

Initially I tried this on one wrist and Bulgari Rose Essentielle on the other. Two hours later Red Roses was still true and delightful whereas the Bulgari had faded to a powdery whisper. I love that this scent smells so exactly like roses. Beautiful.

CologneJunkie's avatar

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

This...is...SEXY!!! After reading reviews I really didn't think I'd like this that much. The weird thing is...it's EXACTLY how everyone describes it (grape bubblegum at first, sickingly sweet vanilla, feminine, etc)...and yet I LOVE it!!! I just got the 1 x 40ml bottle but I can tell that will last me quite awhile because just a little of this juice goes quite a long way. Great stuff!!!

Casran by Chopard

I get more coriander, cardamom, and bergamot out of the opening than I do rum. It’s a very sweet opening existing in a crystal clear ambiance which makes it different from the usual run of sweet fragrances—there’s no syrupy, sticky sweetness here, just a clean, sharp, incisive, somewhat spicy sweetness that holds true for a very respectable time. The middle gourmand notes are certainly not overdone; they are quite restrained and subtle to my nose, and yet they don’t lack substance. I don’t really get much chocolate but the cherries and prunes come through—especially if I use a little imagination. They, too, are delicate notes that don’t suffer from an excess of syrupiness, and they are so like the top notes that the fragrance gets a deserved reputation for linearity. The dry down brings in even more sweetness—especially vanilla—but there is a wispy woodnote floating in and out of the sweetness at first, then an excellent sandalwood / amber accord (I don’t get much vanilla in the end of the dry down). The dry down is my favorite part of the scent.

Linear, sweet, clean, sharp, and somehow very satisfying—that’s what I get from this scent. I don’t exactly understand why I feel good about Cašran—it doesn’t seem to have any standout qualities, and yet it is certainly a scent that I enjoy.

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Sometimes the more impressive a fragrance is, the more difficult it is to discuss. I guess it has something to do with the ‘awe’ factor. I am in awe. I was so looking forward to testing Eau D’Hermès because it took me a year to obtain a sample of it. It was worth waiting for. I was expecting to like it: I have always liked cumin in fragrances (and in food), so I was sure I would go for Eau D’Hermès. What I wasn’t prepared for was the depth, symmetry, and artistry contained in this fragrance. The extent of its finely tuned presence and substance challenges believability and induces that ‘awe’ response in me. Balance, equilibrium, and nuance rule every accord. As old as it is, it is not an instant out of date. It lasts for hours, and it is superb! Another one that I have no choice but to buy!

L'Eau du Caporal by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This was discontinued? Why in the world? Please keep in mind that I mostly dislike mint in fragrances; L’Eau du Caporal is a wonderfully refreshing spearmint fragrance and the way the mint combines with the lavender is spectacular: It creates an aromatic accord that is much smoother and richer than mint alone could possibly be, I rarely find a scent in which the mint alone can hold its own as a solo note. The aromatic excellence of the mint accord in L’Eau du Caporal echoes the use of mint as a high aromatic note in Guerlain’s Derby. L’Eau is quite linear, and in this case, that’s a really good thing because the mint accord stay clean and bright until its end, making it an excellent hot weather fragrance – mint done exceptionally well.

07 October, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2008)

Paul Smith for Men by Paul Smith

What is this? I don’t think I’ve smelled a more ordinary, average, mediocre scent. It has absolutely no hook—nothing that could possibly separate it from any run-of-the-mill fragrance sitting on a drugstore shelf—ok, maybe it’s not cloying or synthetic or cologny—but it’s still outstandingly undistinguished. The opening is purely from Yawnsville. The middle is green but an uncommonly ordinary green that might have gone someplace with those potentially interesting green notes of violet and fig leaves; but those notes were not used to any kind of advantage. The dry down is as insipid as the rest of the fragrance and the whole fragrance was stillborn. Paul Smith is a very mediocre scent. Sorry for the tirade.

Realm by Realm Fragrances

Because of its touted pheromones, I expected Realm to be a joke, but there is a quality and an attractiveness about it that requires me to give it a more serious consideration. The top notes of Realm are pleasant — a rather restrained patchouli / ginger dominant accord accented by lavender and orange: It has a more fresh feeling than its notes would indicate, and it presents a more complex and interesting accord than is usual among drug store fragrances. Moving on, berry notes are added to the lavender that is growing in proportion to the rest of the notes. It’s a creamy lavender / sweet / juniper berry – a combination that I find a little less attractive than the top primarily because I’m not a fan of creamy lavender; but that is simply a matter of taste and, removing prejudice, I’d have to say that the heart accord is very well done. Realm seems to lose some vitality and variety after the heart notes. Even though it picks up some muskiness, it becomes more recessive and ambiguous in its basenotes, but that’s OK because it has reached the point where it would likely be to too gaudy if it were stronger. At any rate, regardless of its claimed pheromones, this Oriental is an attractively fresh, spicy, and light-woody fragrance. It’s a better product than most of the generic drugstore offerings. Its longevity could be better. Nice fragrance. (Edit of 07 October 2006 review)

07 October, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Le Roi Santal by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Very woody indeed. I do not really get much of the orris except for a little powder, otherwise everything is wood. I find an unfamiliar note in the opening—either that note is a form of sandalwood that I am not aware of, or it is the cabreuva wood—it doesn’t smell floral or herbal or like anything green, but it does seem synthetic. Its artificiality doesn’t bother me because it is so short lived. The sandalwood note that I do get is a wonderful raw scent—unrefined and unembellished but not vulgar. I love it because it feels so natural. The sandalwood note, as with the rest of the fragrance is too understated for my tastes—I prefer to spend less effort in sniffing a fragrance. Le Roi Santal is one of the few woody fragrances I’ve tried that I have to apply more than a couple of sprays in order to be satisfied with the scent’s presence and sillage. The longevity is dismal. I found that it helps to spray a bit on my shirt, which I don’t ordinarily do. It’s an excellent fragrance that is just too weak for me, and, as much as I like the sandalwood note, I don’t think I’ll be buying a full bottle when I’m finished with the decant.

Sables by Annick Goutal

I get a brutal olfactory assault from the opening of Sables. It lasts for over an hour before the fragrance settles down to an excellent linear immortelle note. I have no idea what component in the fragrance causes this reaction, and I’m sure most other people don’t get this abrasive note, because no one would buy it if they did. It’s about the same discordant note that I pick up from Dior’s Eau Noir. When this note finally dissipates, it’s a very good fragrance, but it is not good enough to make up for that hour of misery. This is so not my usual experience with Annick Goutal’s wonderful fragrances. Sables? No thank you—not in this lifetime.

Sergio Tacchini by Sergio Tacchini

Sergio Tacchini is a light citrus / green / wood fragrance. It opens citrusy and minty with a bit of Lemon Pledge. The synthetic tinge to the citrus isn’t disagreeable, but I’ve smelled better attempts at this kind of opening – but the better ones were always in much more expensive fragrances. The citrus / minty accord lasts for quite a while before it switches to a soft and mellow sandalwood base. The base is not earth shattering, but it is competent. Sergio Tacchini is a well-made and well-balanced fragrance with excellent longevity. It performs dependably and it is quite inexpensive. There is nothing in the fragrance that is extra special except for its quality to price ratio. It is a pleasant, soft, reliable fragrance at a very reasonable price. (Edit of 07 October 2006 review. Changed from thumbs up.)

07 October, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

Viking by Royal Copenhagen

The opening accords of Viking are really gaudy and loud, not to mention somewhat nauseating: cardamom, pepper, nutmeg, pineapple lavender, anise…together! It smells just as bad as it sounds. There are too many notes and no balance or smoothness. The top and mid notes of this fragrance are messes. They’re sharp. They’re overly busy with spices and fruit and conifers and pineapple. Mind you, this is not a beautifully balanced multi-noted Havana. This is a chaotic conglomeration a little in the pattern of America by Perry Ellis, only PE’s America is a masterpiece compared to this. Then, in stark contrast to the overdone top and mid notes, the base notes come off as dull. As dull as the base is, though, it’s an improvement over the top and middle.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

What a bright and lively opening. The citrus and fruit form a brisk and succulent platform while the juniper and spices from the middle pop out to create a very lively accord. Even with the loads of fruit notes, the opening is not overly sweet. The spicy middle is rather low key in delivery—this is not an overbearing fragrance—its energy shares an equal partnership with its elegance. I get primarily wood and musk out of the base notes—the agar wood is present as is the rum note, but neither of the two take control of the fragrance.
    I’m impressed. I wasn’t expecting anything as nice as this. Lacoste Pour Homme is a very well done fragrance: up-to-date characteristics, attractive accords, impressive construction and development, good longevity. It has both verve and elegance. I’m impressed!

Virgilio by Diptyque

Virgilio is green — abundantly green with not a trace of sweet. The opening is too herbally green but it quickly settles down to something just bearably green. As in most Diptyques, this fragrance is linear, which is a quality I usually like with their fragrances, but not with this one. I don’t especially care for the combination of basil and thyme: but the combination is quite prominent in Virgilio. This combination creates sort of a hay smell, and though I love the hay smell in the newly mown fields, I’ve not found many fragrances where it is done well – the Demeter version makes me nauseous, while the hay accord in Virgilio simply annoys me. The basil, cedar, and thyme lead the rest of the greens through the progression of the scent, and, sure, there is wood note here, a vetiver note there, a mint note around the corner — but to my nose everything is basil, cedar, and thyme. I usually think of green as “fresh” but not with Virgilio — it is oppressively green; it is ponderous and heavy — far removed from “fresh.” I readily admit my prejudice that green is not my favorite category, but there are green scents that I love – Eau de Campagne by Sisily, Gucci Nobile, Lorenzo Villoresi’s Yerbamate. Virgilio is just too unrelentingly green for me. It’s a well-made fragrance, though, a with good sillage and excellent longevity. It should be considered by anyone looking for quality green fragrance. (Edit of 07 October 2006 review.)

07 October, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2009)

L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

This is the most unique iris fragrance I’ve tried. At first it doesn’t even seem to be an iris fragrance—it seems to be quite green—coniferous green. But very quickly those undeniable earthy, powdery, sensual iris notes flow into the olfactory picture. They progressively imbed themselves among the opening greens and florals creating a full-blooming iris accord that retains just the right tinge of those juniper, vetiver, and cypress notes: It’s a green and clean and earthy and masculine iris—the most masculine of the irises that I have tested. And yet it retains the delicacy and transparency of any well-bred iris fragrance. The dry down is of vetiver, amber, and musk still blessed by the iris persona: An excellent, creative, glowing fragrance, indeed.

Dilmun by Lorenzo Villoresi

Wonderful citrus, floral, and green opening—there’s an excellent tangy green stab of sharpness in the midst of the citrus and flowers. As the citruses fade, the green loses its sharpness and sweetness, and it becomes a more mature, full, rich fragrance dominated by a laurel that is mellowed by the florals. Usually I don’t care for too obvious florals in a fragrance, but I find the floral element in Dilmun to be quite pleasurable and not at all too feminine. I think it’s the lasting prominent citrus note and the resinous feel to the fragrance that keeps the florals from taking over completely. The citrus holds almost through the entire run of the fragrance, and the florals last even longer—all the way through the dry down. Dilmun is an enticing fragrance—one of the few where I really love a strong floral presence.

07 October, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 April, 2008)

CerrutiSí by Cerruti

Spicy and herbal—sweet and pleasant, a nice fragrance but nothing innovative, nothing edgy, nothing to make me want to buy it. Ginger and sweetness are dominant in the opening accord—for ginger it is quite mild and subtle, it’s not allowed to get anywhere near as obnoxious as ginger can get. Later the rosemary and cedar show up but I don’t get the moss or geranium—this accord is pleasant too, but very short lasting. The dry down is rather a sweetly floral patchouli accord. I get a lot of the heliotrope (not for very long) and not very much patchouli at first, then the patchouli comes through in a dull, dry way that doesn’t fit with the rest of the fragrance. Cerruti SI is, generally, a refreshing, bright, sweet fragrance that doesn’t offer anything new; and it has very poor longevity. We don’t need any more fragrances like this.

Jardin Clos by Diptyque

I can’t see this as a unisex scent: I think most men would find it way too sweet-fruity-floral to wear, I know I wouldn’t consider it. The lilac dominates the opening from the very beginning, and the watermelon note serves primarily to add a hint of fruit and for background aquatic ambiance. The scent has a slight aquatic feel to it underneath the sweetness, flowers, and green. After the opening lilac mellows down some, the mid notes come through as a balance between the florals and green, with hyacinth holding prominence for a short time until the greens overcome the flowers. But I really don’t notice much of a real change with the movement from top to middle; this is another linear offering from Diptyque. The base is green / woody with cedar dominating and the oakmoss smoothing out and adding an earthiness. The base, too, adds to the impression of linearity. Jardin Clos is well named. It does remind me of an enclosed garden filled with flowers and conifers and a fountain and pool. It’s a very nice, if short lasting, floral scent: quite delicate and feminine.

Ciel Man by Amouage

I’m afraid Ciel for Him is a rather disappointing fragrance to me: First, its opening is unimpressive—a sharp, floral / herbal backed up by a light incense and cedar. The peach seems to enter into the opening also, creating what is to me a discordance that I find a touch unpleasant. I really can’t separate out the floral notes because it’s an amalgamated accord—blended to the point of seeming forced or artificial. The top accord is restrained, dignified, different, not sweet, not strong, but thick, nevertheless, having a bit of a heaviness to it. The truth is that I just don’t find these notes very appealing. Next, with the mid notes I lose the florals completely when the spices have grow into prominence. The cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg form a spice cabinet effect that manages to conjure up in my mind some old Moroccan flashbacks—images of tent shows and belly dancers—nothing authentic, just strictly for us tourists (thankfully I didn’t get a flashback of the camel fragrances). The dry down, however, is warm, rich, and long lasting wood and incense, but too late to save the fragrance for me. It’s possible that I just don’t understand this type of fragrance, but I don’t have the slightest urge to even try this again, let alone, purchase it.

Higher Energy by Christian Dior

Not a very innovative scent. Very much like everything else one can get at the department store fragrance counter. Grapefruit—the current citrus star with the necessary coniferous to back-up and to stretch-out the citrus note. Nutmeg and pear—some of the mass market spice and fruit sweethearts. It’s fragrance by formula. I do like the middle accord—but then, I’d like almost anything with nutmeg and incense. The dry down is weak as is normal in most of these types of scents. Rather good longevity. Actually, this is a pretty good scent—but it is just so predictable and uninspired and ‘me-too.'

Un Zeste D'Eté by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Not for me but what a bright, crisp, and cheery fragrance Un Zest D'Ete is. It is a superb interpretation of lemon flowers / lemon zest-with-a-touch-of-florals. Wonderfully sharp and clean and delicate—very feminine—a transcendent beauty.