Fragrance Reviews from October 2006

Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I disliked Piment Brûlant, I liked Safran Troublant, and the third one of the set, Poivre Piquant, fits in between. Actually I’m very neutral about it because it seems to be a very neutral scent to me. The opening provides a pleasant accord that is very much like the smell of sweetened warm milk. On paper I can smell the full accord—the milk, the honey, the white pepper—it’s actually quite unusual and interesting and I would seriously consider having a fragrance like this in my collection. On my skin, however, the milk and honey provide the creamy texture and ambiance, but the pepper only tickles my nose—I don’t really get a very distinguishing smell from the accord—it’s bland. Alone, the sweet milk is very nice but I don’t believe it can stand alone as the complete fragrance…the white pepper simply isn’t projecting off my skin. I’m unimpressed with the fragrance as a whole. The notes tend to be too subtle for my tastes. As with several other, not all, of the L’Artisans, I would prefer a little more body to the Poivre Piquant. This is a nice scent but too much of it disappears on my skin and then I have to work too hard to experience its subtleties.

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

A fragrance that is quite rich and smooth with some very well executed floral notes providing the main direction for, as well as depth. I get just a bit of the citrus / orange blossom in the beginning, but it’s not what I would call a citrus opening, because already the rose from the middle is making its presence known quite strongly. That rose note very quickly grabs control with active support from the ylang-ylang and neroli from the middle, giving an almost total floral ambiance that holds for a long time. The heart notes are especially beautiful to my nose, and they are also rather feminine. The base is equally balanced among the patchouli, tonka, musk, and the remainders of the florals from the middle. Although the musk is well represented, I personally don’t find it the most dominant note in the fragrance. I would have named this “Original Rose” rather than “Original Musk.” It has excellent longevity and is linear in the sense that its progression is simply the gradual amelioration of the rose and other notes. No question about it — Kiehl’s Original Musk is a beautiful, traditional fragrance; one that on my skin turns more than a bit feminine. As much as I like it, I probably won’t be wearing it very often.

07 October, 2006 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2008)

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

Let me be the second to turn thumbs down. I agree with robyogi about there being a disagreeable note in the opening of Eau Noire—almost the same disagreeable one that is in Annick Goutal’s Sables. To my nose that note is very bitter and aggressive, and it totally overwhelms all the other notes. It’s a dusty, celery-seed-to-the-tenth-power-like bitter / dry note and I find it repulsive. It lasts for at least two hours, after which it has subsided enough for me to get some idea of what most everyone else is smelling with this fragrance: a strong, boderline-harsh herbal accord with an almost ethereal sweetness balancing it: I only wish I could experience this accord from the start—it’s wonderful. The dry down is very nice, but it is simply not good enough to make up for the torture of the opening.

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is not a scent for people who don’t like tuberose. The tuberose is very dominant through most of its duration. It’s not that I don’t like tuberose in fragrances, but I think of unalloyed tuberose as being quite feminine. Both on paper and on my skin, the fragrance opens quite strongly with tuberose and animal notes and I like the opening very much. But within half an hour the animal notes are gone and the tuberose, while more mellow, is too tuberosey. The tuberose lasts and lasts, remaining rather linear for the duration of the heart notes. The dry down is excellent—rich, but very light with musk and amber and cedar. The subtle cedar note strikes me as being quite close to an incense note—at any rate, the cedar note is not quite what I am used to, which is not to say I don’t like—in fact, I love it. Those subtle base notes linger on forever, it seems: no problem with lack of longevity here. My quandary is, how do I rate a fragrance that I really dislike the first half but absolutely love the second half? I guess I have to go neutral with it, but the dry down is really great (incense) cedar.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

It’s a shame that I feel it’s necessary to praise a house like Ralph Lauren for producing not a great, but a better-than-average fragrance—praise it simply because it isn’t a complete sell-out of marketing over quality and innovation. I do have good things to say about Polo Black. The first good thing I’ll say is that it’s not Polo Blue—that’s a big compliment. Polo Black is not an exciting fragrance, nor is it especially artistic or endearing. But it isn’t terrible—it is even several steps up from ‘mediocre.’ Polo Black has attractive elements to it: a well-constructed opening, which is somewhat unique and quite captivating. The middle and base accords have real presence, even if the notes are rather…random. Polo Black has better longevity than much of its competition. Its downfall is that it is priced too high for what it delivers, and the ‘black’ label is completely off target. Otherwise, there is less to criticize than there is to praise. I’ve seen a lot worse out there.

Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale

With something like this I might actually learn to love gourmands. It is so sweet, but it’s a very rich, full, almondy sweet—unlike the thinner and cheap smelling syrupy sweet that I’ve found in most other gourmands. There is a lot of vanilla here, which is normally one of my least favorite notes in a fragrance; but for some strange reason, (the same reason applies to Pi) I quite enjoy it in this accord. Strangely, I can’t pick out the rose in Sweet Oriental Dream. Often I find the rose note oppressive, and seldom do I find it elusive; but here it is melded so well with the honey, vanilla, and almonds that I can’t identify it. It will take me a while to decide if I actually want to smell like this, but what a beautiful experience this fragrance is. I can put this review in one word: ‘Wow!'

pandabear25's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

I bought a decant sample of this and was so excited to recieve it because of all of the reviews of praise for the famous L'Heure Bleue. I eagerly sprayed it on the second it came, and inhaled deeply...could this be the same mysterious and classic L'Heure Bleue that everyone is raving about? It's completely sour on my skin! I guess I built myself up to that moment when it came into contact but was so let down because the magic I was expecting didn't happen. It doesn't work well at all with my chemistry...very dissapointed.

robyogi's avatar

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

One of my top five scents for sure, and likely to stay there for a long while. Think of sitting in a lavish palace, rich, thick, smokey tobacco notes waft in the air, somehow mingling with the smell of honey and flowers, all with some sort of exotic spicy cuisine being prepared in the background. It's a lot for one image, I know. It's a lot for one scent too, but it all comes together harmoniously, gloriously. Often folks want to compare this to L'Artisan's Tea for Two. I don't know why, since they are different scents, but here's what I had to say about that comparison on the boards some time ago:

"To my nose FT is more complex. I get little bits and pieces, where a note pops in for a bit, then disappears. T42, to me, is more straightforward, with less evolution. With the former, I keep sniffing to see what I am going to smell this time; with T42, I feel like once the topnotes have faded and the heart notes set in, I've seen the whole show."

That still rings true to me. When it comes to full-on richness and complexity, as well as dark, exotic beauty, Fumerie Turque is in a league of its own.

perfectstranger's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

similar to the original one but i can't tell which one is better since each has its own appeal. but i wish the scent would last longer.

Arpège by Lanvin

What a great scent for very little money. For many, many women over the years, Arpège was the only French perfume they found in their price range. But that didn't make it any less great. Still, I posit that the scent got almost a bad name over the years thanks to its less expensive price tag. To quote Eartha Kitt in the song "Champagne Taste": "You said you'd give me everything to make my life a feast. You didn't give me anything -- not even Arpège, you beast!"

I still see a tad of that snobbishness on Basenotes from time to time, with some folks dismaying scents (e.g., Prince Matchabelli, Vanderbilt, That Man, Canoe, Yardley's Lavender, etc.) simply because they're cheap. It's true that many mass market scents in the "drugstore" category really are awful, but price tag alone doesn't mean diddly-squat. Arpège proves that without fail.

Aramis by Aramis

I don't understand all the derision here. Aramis is definitely a take-it-or-leave-it kind of scent, but let's not forget that it's a) really a pretty decent scent all around and b) a scent without which the market as we know it today might well not exist. We may find it a tad frumpy now, but it was fairly groundbreaking at the time of its introduction.

I don't wear it often if ever, but I do like it from time to time in the winter. I wouldn't like it half so much were it not for the peppery notes, though, as the cumin-y top notes can bowl me over. (The peppery notes tend to balance these notes out.)

Aramis 900 by Aramis

Wonderful herbal with floral heart notes. Not much lasting power on me, though.

Devin by Aramis

Good stuff. Haven't worn it in years, but (along with the original Calvin for Men), this stuff was my signature "casual" fragrance for years and years. Nice to re-visit an old friend every now and then.

Insensé by Givenchy

Good stuff -- in the same clan as Baldessarini, Roy de Soleil etc. Definitely not for guys who aren't fans of florals, though. Great choice for women, too.

L'Essence de Must de Cartier by Cartier

Very like the feminine original, IMHO. (And that's a GOOD thing!)

Rich, luxuriant Oriental, with just enough sweetness to make it an obvious cousin of the women's original and yet not become cloying. Also somewhat related to Guerlain's L'instant Pour Homme, and also something else (just can't say what right now) that I've worn before. Hmmmmmm . . . .

WARNING: I find this a very, very dressy scent, and think most would. It's far more at home in the boardroom than the pool hall. (Just a note of caution for those who might wanna put on a pair of jeans and an old sweatshirt before donning this fragrance.)

I strongly prefer the Essence version to the EDT version. Wish I knew how to find a sample of the Anis Verte version, though.

Pal Zileri Sartoriale by Pal Zileri

Gucci Pour Homme's well dressed cousin.

Very dry scent, with a very rich patchouli base with a hint of something boozy -- bourbon? Not too mossy, though, as so many patchouli scents can be. I also detect quite a bit of sandalwood here -- lovely stuff, possibly Mysore. Very, very nice.

The drydown is very crisp -- vetiver? Dunno -- can't say. Actually dries down far softer than Gucci PH.

Gonna have to get another bottle of this stuff!

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Incanto by Salvatore Ferragamo

If Chloe and the original Burberry collided, you'd get Incanto. I agree with lefay's comment - it's a pleasant scent, but nothing extraordinary. If you like either Chloe or Burberry, you'll probably enjoy this. It's more of a daytime/office scent than a sultry evening one.

Fiorello's avatar

Numero Uno by Carthusia

Along with "mucho macho" I would add, with a heart of gold.
    Notes include: bergamot, Sicilian orange, lavender, thyme, eucalyptus, violet, ylang-ylang, patchouli, vetiver, myrrh and white musk.
    This juice is fantastico! As with Carthusia Uomo, this is not in your face Italian. It's more like a subtle, yet convincing, come hither look (scent).
    The citrus/herbaceous opening is truly head-spinning yet controlled. Shortly thereafter, the myrrh note appears. This note's role transports the somewhat linear, yet unique whole into its woody and musky drydown. I am not a fan of some musks, but this slightly soapy one works for me. I don't get much of the eucalyptus or vetiver in this composition. They're present but only as supporting roles. The main green/herb note appears to be thyme. The violet-ylang, heart accord is what makes Numero Uno special per me.
    It has been compared to chypres like Parfums de Nicolaï, New York and Chanel, Pour Monsieur. I prefer Numero Uno because of its more natural and brighter aspects. If tenacity is very important to you, I would choose another. If natural, unique and transcendental are your thing, go for it.

Coconut's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Floret by Antonia's Flowers

This has to be one of my all time favourites! I enjoy wearing it very much. It is a staple fragrance in my suitcase.

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

one of the really great perfumes of all centuries:interesting, unforgettable, intelligent and like bandit of robert piguet and tabac blonde of caron-hors concours!Perfumes for individualists, looking for a unique scent with class-cuir de russie is for someone loving leather perfumes but this perfume is so much more!!!you can wear it even as a man but then you have to be a real man!Take only a few drops .....then wait....and you will enter paradise....but be careful-if you go for the type of perfumes that are thrown on the market every week and you may buy for a dollar in all kind of shops then leave it and hurry!Cuir de russie is a very very special fragrance of another time but timeless and if you´re a really classy, elegant and distinguished woman then give it a try-i imagine you, in a classy valentino or oscar de la renta dress, giving me a smile and if i would smell this perfume...i would die....ladies, this is an unforgettable scent but definitely not for everyone.....but if you are the one....then it will be heaven for you!!!!!!

Cabochard by Grès

yes, another great,great perfume!sexy, sophisticated,elegant and sexy!Yes it may be comparable to Tabac Blonde and Bandit of Robert Piguet-another two outstanding perfumes but Cabochard has it´s own class!So many different notes-an incredible mixture of wonderful ingredients.Well everyone has another skin and it may interact different but Cabochard is hall of fame and a unique and special fragrance for a classy,sexy and charismatic woman!

Bandit by Robert Piguet

this fragrance is definitely unique, remarkable and hors concours!you won´t forget the person wearing this excellent perfume.....but it won´t work for everyone!This is not a perfume that can be compared to the garbage that is launched nowadays-no, this is really first class and one of the great scents of all centuries!Try it, leave it on your skin and wait, and wait....this is hot, hot and sexy - and dark, very dark!This is mystery, adventure, badness and agressiveness but it may change....If you are a connaisseur and you go for intelligent perfumes then it will be the right choice!You have to be someone special,different....as a woman and a man-specially if you´re a man you should be handsome, virile, dark and with class!

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

after the gorgeous and amazing carolina herrera man this company and I guess it was her daughter launches 212- it is a sad copy of thousands edt you can buy evrywhere-okay the outer appearance, the package and design are nice but the perfume is to me a grat deception-very poor.I expected her to develop again a great scent but 212 is average-freh,clean and similar to the rest.If you look for something different, special, individual then have a look at creed,annick goutal,nicolai or etro.Hopefully Carolina Herrera presents next time a perfume that is worth to buy!

Aramis by Aramis

it is a nice, classical edt and different from the stuff you can buy nowadays but it has a touch from the 70ties-but it has a touch of an older man,being in his 50ties, conservative, a kind of a daddy ...it is still special but is not wow..-there are great scents from the past that will last forever, there are scents that will survive till eternity although they have been launched in the last centuries but not aramis.This edt is ok, it is all right but not the hall of fame!

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

having a view at all the scents launched in the last years i must say that bulgari for men is one of the best but it is absolutely not comparable with the great perfumes of patou, balenciaga, piguet and caron!It is ok-and concerning the positive aspects-they all have been mentionned here: clean, freh, nice etc. buti miss this touch of being something very special and unique-it is ok and nice but it does not stand out.There are perfumes-when you smell them you automatically turn your head around...and wow...so bulgari for men is not such a scent!But compared to all the other stuff....In my opinion Bulgari should stay producing jewels and not perfumes-for century they áre into jewellery and suddenly-oh, let us make evn more money-and hurry up-let´s launch perfumes -no ladies and gentlemen...leave the perfume making to coty, caron,chanel, balenciaga,patou, creed etc. and make nice jewels.....

Devin by Aramis

the first edt i ever used in my life and i still love it although there are more intelligent, decent and interesting perfumes than devin.It is definitely a man´s scent, nothing androgyne or feminine-no this is leather, spicy, deep and powerful.I is a unique and special perfume and one of the great aramis perfumes ever made!Do not take too much - it is you who comes in and it is about you NOT THIS perfume

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

Have you ever seen Carolina Herrera-okay, beautiful, classical, feminine and tasteful lady-and so is this perfume!Tasteful, classical, elegant and special.One of the great perfumes of the 90ties.You knew that Carolina Herrera´s perfume is fracas of robert Piguet-that matches!Carolina Herrera for men is classy, sexy but in small doses! Be careful if not it becomes too intense and sharp!In the right dosage it is fresh and cool-it si warm and cold-the right mixture of all ingredients!

JHL by Aramis

this is one of the great, outstanding perfumes for the hall of fame-Very classical, elegant and interesting!Oriental, warm,a bit sweet-it is cinnabar(Estee Lauder,woman)for a man.Please take only a few drops-it is very intense-the less you take the more you will like it...it won´t go on your nerves!It lasts very long.And it is a very nice winter perfume.I even liked the story behind the perfume-estee lauder did this perfume for her beloved husband-very nice bottle and package-very individual and special!!This is not an average, blabla edt you may find one day in a cheap drugstore-no, no this is an outstanding edt for intelligent, classical gentlemen!If you want something very special then go for it but if look for trendy, chic stuff leave this page ! And if you fall in love with this perfume you may like the guerlain scents too.

Mark Birley for Men by Mark Birley

very disappointing and average-nothing special! This is not like A-men of Mugler, JHL of Estee Lauder,Bandit of RobertPiguet,etc.-no, it is boaring and uninteresting.Instead of wasting lots of dollars for this EdT you may go to the next drugstore and buy a well priced soap that will definitely make you happier!If you like this kind of cologne then please try Eau sauvage of Christian Dior or the Yves Saint Laurent por homme-this is class , good taste and a better choice!

Patchouly by Etro

^this is patchouly pure-dark and potent patchouly.Take only a few drops-it is very intense.Very well done!Specially in autmn and winter you will enjoy this scent....