Fragrance Reviews from October 2006

Randolph314's avatar
    Randolph314

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

For me the bergamot is really overpowering. I don't hate the scent, but I don't want to smell like it.

Randolph314's avatar
    Randolph314

Himalaya by Creed

This does smell a lot like XS. I don't find either all that appealing.

misspring's avatar
    misspring

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

I love Rose Essentielle, a true rose, shy, but it clings and is perfect from start to finish. This scent is addictive. The name says it all!

Lynn Faust's avatar
    Lynn Faust

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

this truly is a "classic" i received a sample in the mail with a cologne purchase. i sprayed a bit in the air and i could have sworn my good friend from high school was standing right behind me.

it is a very common cologne, but for good reason, and should not be overlooked. i wouldn't say it is a cologne you would want to wear frequently. the spices make it a good cool autum, early winter fragrance. it does linger into a spicey-clean smell.

peoyte's avatar
    peoyte

Memorie di Venezia by Adrienne Vittadini

Have to agree with scenteur that the opening note of lemon is addictive. Memorie di Venezia never fails to fetch compliments and nuzzling from my Hubby. Sweet upon initial application with a tart burst of lemon and a soft woody femme dry down.

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

not bad but there are so many other perfumes! Again a great marketing campaign, perfect advertising and the whole machinerie starts to work- this is a simple clean and fresh citrus water-totally overrated-if you look for an elegant and classy scent try pour monsieur by chanel-this is definitely better...but if you need to wear a perfume that has been a favourite of Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman (they say so...)and you need to say stuff like that-then buy it!But if you are self-confident and you are a mature man sure of himself have a look at something special, intelligent and rich-there are so many outstanding and distinguished perfumes!AdP is a nice water of lemon but nothing more-nice bottle and package.I think it is better for a woman!Oh, they did even candles with the flavour...try this first before you waste the money for the edt....

Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal

Yes, Annick goutal has been one of the great parfumeurs of our time-eau de sud is one of the outstanding perfumes she did-classy, sophisticated, to my opinion more suitable to a woman-deligthful,with character!It reminds me of Italy in summer-Annick goutal has perfectly kept the flavours of the sud-light, fresh, intense,longlasting,mostly citrus notes-beautiful!This is a reaaly nice spring and summer edt-decent, sublime and perfectly composed!

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

Hubert de Givenchy one of the great , distuinguished and elegant couturiers of all times-have you ever seen what he did for his muse Audrey Hepburn?Okay and his edt reflects all this: classy, elegant, superbe, sublime and sophisticated.It will last forever-another outstanding and intelligent svent for the hall of fame!These were still the times when people were still able to think -launching interesting perfumes you would recognize among thousands because they had class and were unique!And Givenchy for men is a gebntlemen´s cologne-really a great work by Monsieur de Givenchy!!!Yo will never and ever forget this perfume-not like the trash of 2006......

Lanvin for Men by Lanvin

I remember being in paris on a school trip....and i bought my first edt and it was lanvin pour homme-decent,warm, with a fresh and clear note-a very nice and loveable scent-Very classy and fine perfume!Hopefully one day they will relaunch it again!

Lanvin L'Homme by Lanvin

warm and fresh but nothing special-boaring!A cheap , everyday scent-very simple.Lanvin launched great perfumes but this one is sad.Oh you may use it to clean the toilet...sorry but such waters are so disappointing .....

Macassar by Rochas

yes indeed-another great, outsatnding perfume!A masculine,intense and virile scent-individual and special.This scent belongs to the time when really good perfumes still were in production:patou pour homme, ivoire of balmain.And Macassar-what a name-woody,spicy, warm and aromatic-all ingredients in the right mixture-Rochas has launched top perfumes as Femme,Mystere Tocade (for women) and moustache-all these perfumes including macassar will survive and have been made for eternity.Macassar is a wonderful perume for a mature and handsome man.Awsome and gorgeous scent!

Présence by Mont Blanc

Mont Blanc a very well known company for really beautiful and nice writing stuff launch perfumes-incredible!Stick tto what you have been producing for centuries but leave your fingers away from making perfumes!Cheap, boaring and vulgar scents without character and soul-yes, this Mont-Blanc-and folks on top they produce watches!Mont-Blanc will never and ever become Chanel, Patou.Guerlain,Gres,Givenchy and definitely not Rolex,Patek Philipe or Breguet!!!!!!!!Stick to your pens and pencils!!!!!!!!!!One od the worst scents I ever tasted!!!!!!!!!

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

a spicy,fresh,nice and simple edt.Suitable for a man.Convenient at any time.Not a great perfume like JHL but ok.I you look for a good edt, that doesn´t smell as all the edts you may have tested then try tuscany.Do not splash too much-it has power!And noone will complain about it!This edt doen not go on your nerves or on the nerves of others!

Monsieur Lanvin by Lanvin

This one should be re-itnroduced. I really mis this one.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I think it has a warm mysterious, maybe Latin American or Mediterranean feel to its smell.
    In my hometown it is populair amongst men who dance argentine tango. That should be a hint.
    I changed to Obsession one day when I couldn't get Ténéré by PAco Rabanne.

Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

O.m.g. I thought this one was discontinued. Years ago I changed to Obsession, because somebody told my they stopped making this.
    I remember a deep warm scent, associated with South European, Mediterranian countries. Sahara? Well okay...

Crave by Calvin Klein

A fragrance for young men should have a synthetic undertone, like ozone, electrifying. I was looking for a light scent for daytime / summer / after sports. Since I had CK Obsession for nighttime I tried Crave and liked it a lot. Not instantly, but after a few days. I am twice the age of the target group.
    I could be mistaking, but for me it's a follow up after 'Monsieur Lanvin' and 'Agua de Gio'.

L by Lolita Lempicka

I know this is a fragrance for women, but I happened to receive a sample and liked it so much, I bought a flask for myself. It is a strong mysterious scent, I can't detect all the ingrediences, but it's a nice balance between fruty, flowery and dark, musky, amber. And indeed apply sparcely, so you do a long time with a flask.

Erin's avatar
    Erin

Prada (new) by Prada

I don't know why but I love to smell it on my skin every second of the day and I can't get enough of it. I'm surprised to find how much I like Prada, especially because I prefer sweet, light and fresh fragrances. I don't like spicy perfumes ...but it's spicy, seductive, unique, intense but not agressive and I love it! Before I bought it I was sure that I wouldn't like it and now... I can't get enough of it!

batmania's avatar
    batmania

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Amazing scent but not for guys!I think it is more suitable for a girl.Too flowery and not masculine.

Gardenia by Floris

Lush but easy to wear, casual but, still, very elegent. My favorate gardenia and I've tried MANY.

Bouquet de la Reine by Floris

Absolutely beautiful. Violet leaf top notes give it an unusually "alive" feeling, yet it's still elegent and understated. I can envision a youngish Queen Victoria holding the bouquet that inspired this scent. Inspite the pomp and grandious that surrounds her, her "Bouquet de la Reine" bouquet can distract one from all of that, making her appear as sensitive, delicate, sheltered, yet assertive.

Capricci by Nina Ricci

My all-time fav. I discovered it in the late '60s or early '70s at the sumptuous cosmetics counter at San Francisco's uber elegent I. Magnin. I don't smell rose, but I think the rose acts as a base for this frag, captures its additional notes (Bergamot oil, Blossom-calyx Note, Leafy Green, Hyacinth, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Narcissus, Orris, Rose, Tuberose, Ylang-Ylang, Benzoin, Moss, Musk, Sandal, Vetiver) and morphs them into a capricci of fleeting effervescent elegence, mystic, complex sophistication, and playfulness. Yep. I love this stuff.

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Love it. Always coming back and falling in love with it again. Since its notes contradict each other (citrus beginning and musky end), I can wear it anytime of the year.

Wet Garden by Demeter Fragrance Library

This really does smell like its name, which is good, but I'm not sure I want to smell like mud! A must-try though.

Fleur de Vanille by Fragonard

I love this and I strongly dislike most vanillas. Beautiful.

c-men's avatar
    c-men

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

Eau Noire is as good as it gets – a true work of art and easily the best of the three Dior colognes. I cannot think of another cologne that gives me that very subjective feel good sense of vibe like this one. From a more objective perspective Eau Noire is flawlessly balanced and quite groundbreaking. In the way most great perfumes starts out, Eau Noire starts off with a somewhat harsh lavender-spice combination and needs some time to settle down after application. When these notes mellow out, you are on a very long lasting journey ending in a perfectly balanced smokey-vanilla-choclate drydown that feels more oriental than gourmand. The mix and balance between the different (natural) ingredients are amazing in eau noire. The end result is a quite unique scent with dark meditative, Zen-like qualities rather than formal ones. The sillage is excellent, comparable to (if not better than) the likes of Jaipur PH EdP. This is perhaps not the most versatile cologne, but I wear this to work frequently – if you love it, it is simply a matter of moderation when applying the fragrance. One of Karl Lagerfeld’s favorites and a true masterpiece of a cologne that is a “must try” for people who have a soft spot for lavender fragrances and “highly recommended” for you who don’t.

Azahar by Adolfo Dominguez

This scent is mostly about oranges and citrus than it is about azahar and it shows at first spritz. But there is azahar on the late-mid notes and at the basenotes so it does show respect for its name. The main wave here is the citrus though: orange flowers, orange treebark, orange leaves, neroli, and bergamot that makes this scent shine and be a sort of antidepressive and evoques light and sun with a fresh spring top that follows into very stimulant midnotes and still refreshing basenotes. The scent is not as longlasting as some might expect, because the azahar oil in general is very longlasting. The sillage is pretty and short as well, but for the happiness it gives and the prettyness of it all -that’s all forgiven. It’s almost as if walking into an orange tree garden with grapefruits and soft white roses that never become too ripe or too sour. The sweetness here is minimal as well, wich I welcome. Very nice!

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Very sweet but creamy, it’s an instantly recognizable scent. The top is very fleeting with the oranges flowers flying by if you don’t pay too much attention, and the middle notes come fast and strong: it’s not what I would call too heady, but it does have a certain heavyness that might have something to do more with the carnation and the hyachinth than the lily. Strong sillage! The incense creeps in smack in the middle of the mid-notes and trail all the way to the end of the basenotes that add a certain gothic flavor into it (IMHO), but still making it sort of innocent, so I would call it a white or grey incense, the sandalwood is faint and the quality of it is questionable. I never really loved the scent but I do respect it, I have had some people in my life that wore this scent and on some it was too cloying and on some it was just right, and to me, it remided me of days past and it does feel a bit dated, but never 80s or 70s, I mean like from another century almost. It was intended for younger women as it has been said but if you look at it in a calmer manner, you can see that it’s all to do with the marketing and the naïve pictures that make it become that way, and not because of the scent itself, and since it has been with us for so many years, people have the image printed on them and that’s hard to shake off. A bit soapy and somewhat simple, it amazes me that it has so many fans and that it can be so evocative.

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Absolutely intense, but not intoxicating unless oversprayed, this scent commands attention and it’s very sensual at the same time. The sillage is deep and it surrounds you and the scent itself is very, well, unforgettable. That might be a good or a bad thing depending on the person of course. The top notes are all very well blended and I like the fact that the majority of the flowers are on the top and not on the mid or basenotes. The middle is spicy but creamy and heavy with a very alluring base. The amber here is amazing. I am not a huge fan of this scent because it can be too much too soon but it’s better at least than the man’s version, wich is also good but less so than this one.