Fragrance Reviews from October 2006

RugbyPete's avatar

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Great strong fragrance, still holds its own today, lots of lovely spice that the gucci’s provide, very nice indeed. Was going to go for the ‘fresh’ version after the reviews, but Im going to go for the original instead after smelling this for the first time in duty free. Try it, it’s a classic, and unlike other YSL products it actually lasts more than 5 minutes and has depth. You need this.

RugbyPete's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

*yawn* Another girly fragrance, that’s watery, for guys with blonde spikey hair, who wear fragrances soley to pull cos the girls like it. There’s a reason, it should be for girls. Un imaginative, smells like every other armarni. If you like their others, you already have it.

mikochan's avatar

Habanita by Molinard

I really wanted to like this, so much so that I bought it unsniffed. Alas, to say it doesn't work with my chemistry would be an understatement of ridiculous proportions. I can imagine Habanita working its magic on someone else, but on me it bears an unfortunate olfactory resemblance to bug spray. As fate would have it, the longevity and sillage are remarkably good!

missaldaco's avatar

Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur

i really love this scent, although i would never wear it alone. i usually put a dab of my favorite plumeria oil, and then top it off with a spash of the figuier. another beautiful combo is combining the figuier with the vanilla.

missaldaco's avatar

Vanilia by L'Artisan Parfumeur

To me, this fragrance smells a little bit too much like achohol. but it smells wonderful when layered with the figuier. it creates a wonderful combination.

treazurekitten's avatar

Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris

This is a perfume I did not like at first sniff- it seemed like uber-strong baby powder, I mean, like baby powder on crack. I was disappointed because some of many of the notes, carnation, heliotrope and amber are some of my favorites. But I continued to come back and revisit this 'fume from time to time. I used the last of it up during the hottest part of the summer and once the top notes burned off, I didn't think it was half bad. Then I left the empty vial in a lacquer box by my bedside and I noticed everything in that box gradually took on a wonderful sweet and smoky cherry flavor. That's what hooked me. I became somewhat obsessed with this scent and ordered a full bottle soon after. Now, my intense love has somewhat quieted but I am still very pleased to own this. I use it to scent my dresser drawers and it seems especially well suited to this purpose. For some reason I find it to have a near nuclear half-life, which is something I adore in perfumes. I have no use for here one minute gone the next kinds of scents. The amber base in this is quite strong, and you must apply carefully or it can over-whelm. But when you crave a heavy powdery oriental, this is a great choice. I almost forgot to mention my favorite part of this perfume: at the opening there is a yellow pollen smell,and an almost crunchy, chalky powderiness that I find quite addicting.

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

A light, sweet, fruity, smell. I made the mistake of buying it based upon the smell on the card in the store, and not on my wrist. It dried down nicely on the card into a light warm vanilla-musk base. But on me, like RockyMaivia wrote, it never develops into a warm drydrown. It stays sweet, which some people like, but I wanted some more of the drydown. A very unique scent though, so if you like a sweet fruit smell, go for it.

V pour Homme by Valentino

I agree with the first post. It is a great smooth smell but doesn't last long so you'd better bring the bottle with you! The "smooth" scents predominate, even in the drydown: vanilla-cedarwood-sandalwood-jasmine. I give it thumbs up because I don't believe the lasting power on a cologne, no matter how short, takes away from a good scent. C'mon people, some lighter smells just can't be loaded to stay on forever, plus it lasts differently on everyone.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Excellent and very unique! London has strong herbal-spice top notes and drys down to a warm wood-tobacco scent. It is not a sweet smell like a previous post stated. Sweet implies a sugary, fruit like smell. This is more of a green-herbal-spice that is very prominent for a while. If you like the citrus or musk or woods smell, this ain't for you.

frfgnugn's avatar

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

This perfume smelled nice on me for about 15 minutes, then was just way too much to handle. I had to run for the restroom to wash it off because it was so strong it started making me nauseous.

Remember Me by Christian Dior

I really like this scent. I am quite sad that they have discontinued it. It is a beautiful floral, with a sophisticated undertone. It has a distinctly classy feel to me.

Forever and Ever by Christian Dior

This is one of my favorites. It's a sweet floral bouquet - like steping into a particurally beautiful and fragrant florists. Those who like non-sugary florals should try it.

Stella by Stella McCartney

I love this scent. If I had to pick a signature it would be Stella. Everything about it, from the color of the bottle to the dry down is so lovely and elegant. The rose is beautiful, but not too agressive. There are many other facets to the scent that come through, besides the rose. Overall, I find Stella very floral and sheer. My only negative about it is that it doesn't last very long. I spray myself several times in the morning and in a few hours, it has disappeared.

Amor Amor by Cacharel

I like this scent very much. It's sweet, but not cloyingly so - very juicy. It remined me of apple/cranberry juice the first time I smelled it. It's a young-ish scent, but not something that smells like it was created for Barbie.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I expected to like this scent much more than I did. Initially, it was nice. Pleasant, but not particurally spectacular. However, the dry down on my skin was musk, musk, and more musk. There were no hints of other scents at all. It smelled like a one-dimensional men's scent. I might try it on a few guys...

Princess by Vera Wang

Not sure how I felt about this one. I'm drawn to the bottle - though the script on it is annoying. Overall, it's a nice fragrance, but it sort of goes in one nostril and out the other. I smelled it yesterday, and already I can't really remember it.

netsythekub's avatar

Shalimar by Guerlain

I have two very old large empty bottles of Shalimar that my Grandmother passed down. The labels are not in the best condition, but I would be willing to sell them. I used the fragrance alot when I was young and never thought to keep the bottles. I don't know how this works, but contact me by email if that how this works.

Netsy

Eden by Cacharel

Eden is one of my favorite fragrances. Seems to work on my skin... ?
    It smells absolutely unique and lasts really long.

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Much too strong. I didn't like it on anybody so far.

Déclaration by Cartier

Very sensual, clean scent - yet unobtrusive.

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Francesco Smalto pour Homme by Francesco Smalto

Holy 80's! One of the better offerings of the Drakkar Noir decade. Great woody/chypre. Makes The Third Man quite pedestrian by comparison. Quorum exorcised. A seemingly simple citrus that turns out to be quite complex. An underrated sleeper.

18 October, 2006 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2008)

aubrgene's avatar

Norma Kamali by Norma Kamali

I was at Colette in Paris and looked at the fragrances they had. I saw this bottle, picked it up and dabbed the stopper on my wrist. Floral/Oriental . Top notes of Bulgarian Roses, Jasmine backed by the heavy notes of amber and patchouli. Walked out of the store along Rue St. Honore and after two hours, the scent is still lingering and releasing it's magic. I had to back back and purchase the bottle. I"m hooked on this one. Now I can't wait to get the "Incense" which is the more 'masculine' version of this one... they suppose to go very well layered together creating a third fragrance.

benb's avatar

Escada Homme by Escada

Not bad at all. I used this a few years ago. And got tired of it. I tried it today on my hand. It is not my favourite in this category. But the cognac note gives it a certain something. I might take this one up later. For now it is definetly a thumbs up from me.
    benb.

chris2005's avatar

Unbound for Men by Halston

Very much a AdG clone, but very well done. I actually prefer this to the original, as this fragrance has more sillage and has a slightly fruitier note. And the best part? Got a 3.4oz bottle for 10 bucks. Fosheezie!

Cipriano's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

An addictive scent that is warm, rich and comforting. I've tried tons of the niche scents, most of which are about as masculine as a pink handbag. None can match the quality and complexity of Old Spice.

Elf's avatar

Kretek by Ava Luxe

Kretek- the Indonesian (and also found in Russia) clove cigarette. OK, I don't smoke, but I just love this scent. And, though clearly reminiscent of clove cigarettes, it isn't a Demeter-type exact replica of the inspiration. A spice market lingers here in the background, warm woods, and lots of little surprises that keep popping up for hours. Lasts a long time too and the price is excellent considering the high quality.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

Very disappointed with this. Had high hopes as I loved Citron Citron. It is a spicy accord with some quite sanatised tobacco which lacks any punch to me. A sort of warm mess with some sharpness. Really not impressed by this.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Tangerine Vert by Miller Harris

A very green, very tangerine frag. Not too sweet, quite natural. Not bad. Not good. Not much at all after the initial blast. On a very hot day, this may work for me. Overall, a bit disappointing through it one dimensionality and lack of development or balance.

Jon_Remy's avatar

Vétiver by Carven

I used to wear this back in the 1980s. At that time it was strong and lasted on me all day. After I ran out I looked for it again as it seemed to have disappeared from the market. It wasn't until the late 1990s that I found Vetiver by Carven in a newer bottle, which I bought. They must have really watered this stuff down, because I could barely smell it after five minutes. I regretted buying the Carven Vetiver and decided to continue wearing the Guerlain Vetiver. I now see on some websites where Carven has again released Vetiver by Carven in a new square bottle. I am hesitant to buy this "newly packaged" Vetiver for fear that it will be another "watered-down, weak" fragrance. I may be wrong and perhaps the people at Carven have resume making the "stronger" Vetiver, but until I know it's what the original Vetiver by Carven was, I will not buy it. Personally, I like the Carven Vetiver the best. I just wish this new packaging means new and STRONGER Vetiver. I might just break down and buy a bottle just to see if it's changed for the better. It seems like fragrance companies nowadays are really skimping on the perfume oil content in their fragrances. It seems like now you have to buy the Eau de Parfum versions to get any lasting quality (sillage?). Does anyone know if this "newer" version has any real lasting power? Thanks, Basenotes! Jon

18 October, 2006 (Last Edited: 29 September, 2009)

Jon_Remy's avatar

Vetyver Lanvin (new) by Lanvin

What does Lanvin mean by leaving our the original vetiver essence because it as "too of its time." What in the H*ll is going on at Lanvin. I AM OF THAT TIME, and it would sure be nice for ONCE if fragrance companies stopped changing their fragrances because they are "TOO OF THAT TIME." For one thing, I AM OF THAT TIME, and I would wear a fragrance OF THAT TIME. Has Lanvin forgotten that they have "older" customers that STILL appreciate and like the older scents (that is, if they were still available). It seems like they have forgotten ALL of their clientele over the 40s age group, and are out ONLY to please the 20- or 30-something crowd. There are those of us who are in our 40s and 50s who would definitely appreciate having some of the older fragrances back, with the older fragrance STRENGTH of the old days. A lot of fragrance companies are strictly out for the FRESH scent for the younger crowd, but I would prefer the HEAVY and STRONG scents for the older crowd. I remember back in the 1970s fragrances were well worth the money because they lasted ALL days. Nowadays, the majority of fragrance companies make CHEAP fragrance that perhaps only lasts an hours, if you're lucky. Well, I'm in my 40s and I would sure like to see some fragrances with staying power come back. I believe nowadays you have to buy the Eau de Parfum in a men's fragrance in order to get any staying power, and not that many men's fragrances come in an EdP, maybe Boucheron and Jaipur by Boucheron perhaps. Anyway, if any fragrance company sales representatives or marketing personnel read this website and stumble across this particular review, STOP BEING SO CHEAP WITH THE PERFUME OIL CONTENT IN YOUR FRAGRANCES, OR ELSE PRODUCE THE FRAGRANCE IN AN EAU DE PARFUM FOR MEN!!! Thanks, Basenotes!