Fragrance Reviews from October 2006

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is sooo sexy spraying it on makes me want to sleep with myself. So find someone else to spray it on you, cause they will want to sleep with you then.
    On a serious note: while this is sex in a bottle, it's not really dirty, but who say s plain vanilla can't be fun, too? In fact I was at first slightly let down by the dry down, but only because Ravageur comes on so incredibly and delectably powerful in the top and the middle. Meanwhile I've concluded that it's simply a brilliant concoction, and who cares about top middle or bottom as long as you're having fun, right? Not just thumbs up on this one.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Mahogany by Etro

There is a pungent synthetic-smelling wood note in Etro's Sandalo, which makes that particular fragrance less enticing than it could be. For Mahogany they lifted precisely that note from Sandalo and amplified it to the power of 10. The lumber yard association is fitting, but on me this simply will not fade or transform into something better. It is dissatisfyingly monochromatic (like the "cedar" in Tumulte which is ISO-E-Super) obnoxiously synthetic and a plastic, imitation-wood thumb down for me.

zztopp's avatar

Happy for Men by Clinique

Happy for men opens with bright and fresh citrus notes - its mainly orange with a hint of lime. The citrus notes arent overbearing, nor the most authentic, but they are quite pleasant. Maybe the name Happy fits well. The middle notes consist of "green notes" - the exact composition isnt know, but it might contain some violet leaves and herbs; its does smell a bit "green". I smell cedar mostly in the drydown. The longevity was lacking.

Happy for men is a nice non-offensive citrus green scent - probably not the most original fragrance out there, but for its price, you could do worse.

genvy5's avatar

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

This is fantastic and very well named - all I did was smell it out of the bottle by chance and was instantly mesmerized in a state of euphoria, paralyzed to the spot for a few seconds before coming back to reality and thinking darn, that is amazing.

genvy5's avatar

Prada (new) by Prada

Wear this and someone will fall in love every time you walk by.

_R$_'s avatar

Thundra by Profumum

I recently bought a bottle of this ($180) after sampling it from LuckyScent. I have to say this is the most unique and beautiful scent I have ever tried (And owned). After the "Musty Leaves" smell at the beginning, the drydown leads to a complex Floral. It's not too feminine though, just right to be worn by both sexes. By far my favorite scent in a medium sized wardrobe. Try it, then buy it.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Molinard Homme II by Molinard

A dispirited extra-sugar take on the Body Kouros theme. Pass.

tvlampboy's avatar

Halston 101 by Halston

Never could understand why they discontinued this one -- it was really Halston's most distinctive men's fragrance. Great top notes, with a wonderfully warm, spicy "dry down."
    I remember it being very potent, too -- a spritz or two would "do it."
    They always seem to discontinue the really good ones.

tvlampboy's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

I agree with Pluran's statement that SMW shares some similarities with both Erolfa and Millesime Imperial, but let me interject here and state the equally obvious: namely, that SMW is also a kissing cousin of Calvin Klein's much loved and much maligned CKOne. (Put more succinctly, Silver Mountain Water is CKOne's rich, well dressed cousin from London.)

The notes are better defined, true enough, and the ingredients costlier, but the overall effect is strikingly similar -- clean, crisp, long lasting without being overbearing, and unquestionably unisex.

A definite thumbs up in my book. Not my favorite Creed, no -- Acier Aluminium, Erolfa, Himalaya, Millesime Imperial, and Neroli Sauvage still beat it out in my top five. But it's still one heckuva good fragrance.

gabigabriel's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

I love it! It is my permanent perfume.

gabigabriel's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Well, it seems to me a classy perfume, very suitable for dining out and to look pedant, not at all "an office perfume". Indeed it brings me some memories abot D&G. But I like it. And I saw that on some skins it is totaly different, I meen it seems to be pretty much commun.
    On my skin feels so good, and my friends have made very pleasent remarks.
    A good second choice for your perfumes.

sd1207's avatar

Love this fragrance!

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

Yuck. Even the bottle design is creepy>

Tatiana by Diane Von Furstenberg

Those great little DVF wrap dresses came back, so why can't Tatiana come back also? It is a great little scent. Is there any NON-discontinued perfume that smells a lot like it? I have been searching, but have not found it yet. I find it depressing to order discontinued scents...I feel like a fragrance junkie when I get them.

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

Herba Fresca! Freshly cut grass ...heaven...just a hint of mint that seems to come and go. -- This scent is so delicious I feel I am outdoors in the sunshine on the gloomiest overcast day. This is something on a cold winter's day!
    This series of fragrances are so pleasant and agreeable, they don't scream perfume at all. Does the perfumer decide if something is unisex? Anyway, mmmmm.

vampixi's avatar

Pure White Linen by Estée Lauder

I didn't imagine this could have so many ingredients in it... i think it smells really like comfort pure baby fabric softener! (not sure if you can get that outside the UK) Although one of my friends uses White Linen pure as a room spray and her house smells nice. I just prefer to smell dirty i guess...

RugbyPete's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

Gets better everytime I go back to try it. Was going to buy based on the Pour homme brilliance, however it really is a great fragrance, my other half says its a really lovely smell, I agree. For handsome, honest men.

RugbyPete's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Don't understand what the fuss is about. After the reviews and my collection growing I was expecting something oriental, clever, interesting, sweet, fresh, and inviting.

However all I got was a blast of citrus and a disgusting cheap womens perfume undertone.

Really dissappointed, this was on my shopping list, at the top, glad I tried before I bought.

Not saying don't buy it, just dont buy on hyp, try it first, its nothing special.

treazurekitten's avatar

Eau d'Iris by Heeley

This is a nice light Iris perfume. On my skin, I thought it smelled of jelly beans, pepper and powder. It did not last too long but I keep thinking I should try it again.

invisz's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I had to buy this after I sampled it. Burberry London smells amazing! like Cinnamon, Liquor, and Black Pepper. Lasts about 4 hours on me.

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Loved it on the sample cards in the magazines, but on me after about an hour, it just gets FUNKY! It's almost a musty, smokey thing that happens, like when you've stood in a bar all night long.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

I often get compliments on this when I wear it, but after about 2 hours, I feel like I'm choking. The scent does not leave me for at least 12 hours, despite it being EdP, and using one spritz! The citrusy/jasmine element is what attracted me to it, and then poof - WOOD!

Sun by Jil Sander

Currently my favorite scent. I will wear it all year, though it does recall a sultry summer night. Everything about it is "warm", and it has a very calming effect. Vanilla, spice, and a bit a floral to it make a perfect blend.

Stella by Stella McCartney

Stella smells precisely like Liz Claiborne's signature scent from the '80s to me! It is one of those I have admired on others, but with my body chemistry just makes me nauseous. What I get out of both of these is a very "tea-like" aroma, like Lipton's lemony sweetened iced tea. I think I'd better stick to the orientals.

dariamoholea's avatar

Amarige Mariage by Givenchy

I have never been much into Givenchy perfumes, simply because they seem so strong and heavy. But I got a sample of Amarige Mariage from a magazine and what a pleasant surprising sensation I had when I put it on! It smelled so perfectly feminine, soft and strong, sweet and spicy, warm and cool at the same time! I believe this is a great perfume for daytime but can be used in the evening too.
    I also enjoy the lasting effect. This perfume gets beeter as hours go by.
    in fewer words, I LOVE IT!

CoL's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Orange Magnifica by Guerlain

To my nose this scent is to oranges as Lemon Fresca is to lemons! Basically like the orange version. Very nice scent, FAR from a plain ole citrus. Somehow something in there reminds me a little of Samsara! Very Guerlain. Love it!

docluv45's avatar

Programme Homme by Lancôme

I am pretty sure this is the same fragrance as Sagamore just with different packaging.

Elf's avatar

Une Zeste de Rose by Les Parfums de Rosine

A lovely lemony apricot or white rose, I've smelled this in several varieties of rose. Very accurate, light and fresh, just a touch of tea and citrus to set it off. Reminds of a rose garden in April in the Deep South. Fabulous.

fakepurseninja's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

Brit for men is a very unique and versatile fragrance. It is very soapy and creamy (the tonka and the spices), thus very sensual, but remains an unmistakebly masculine fragrance throughout its drydown. Great for work and for play, for any season (maybe not the hottest days) with superb longevity and sillage, though not all agree on that. Anyway, for me this has no faults, and it is in my opinion far better than Armani Code and Chanel Allure Homme to which it is often compared.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Lime by Demeter Fragrance Library

Pointless, very weak, unconvincing. Don't waste your money.