Fragrance Reviews from October 2006

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

From the lovers of this fragrance, everything has been said. This is something that will always be in my wardrobe. Love it or hate it, this one will always evoke a response. For the record - I LOVE it!

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

This was my first about ten years ago. Afterwards gone around and had others, but when Herrera for men was not in my wardrobe, I lacked something. I'm not able to comment on the complexity of the notes, but suffice to say, it's been one of the best I've ever come across. Citrus DOES NOT do it for me, but in this one, if DEFINITELY does. One of the only 2 imports I got for myself.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

The second gourmand I ventured into after A*men. Had the aftershave first (discounted purchase) and didn't think too much of it (no longevity). And then!!! What I found in the Edt was what I was looking for in the aftershave. 15 minutes after application it kind if "disappears" on my skin but when it comes back...beauty for those us who believe in Oriental.
    The rest has been said already.

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

I salute, and then envy, the review submitted by graffham:

"There comes a time after years of wearing and appreciating the nuances of fragrance that one can see where one has been and the level to which one has evolved."

Had I known this one sooner, if only... He said what I wanted to, but couldn't put into words. I'm still new to this one and try to find the "fresh" notes I find in the Edt,
    this one shall NEVER leave this wardrobe - if I can find it, as it's not sold here:-((( Please YSL!!! 10 thumbs up

Joe_Frances's avatar

Antico Caruso by Profumum

Antico Caruso is not complex at all. In fact, olfactory complexity is not this scent's strong suit. I loved the initial onset of single contrasting sharp and soft notes; sweet and yet mildly astringent, exactly what I like (contrasting elements within a fragrance triangle). It was at first quite wonderful and had all the makings of something that could have become one of my "signature scents". But that only lasted a very short time, sadly. Within minutes, not hours, it all went to almonds; almond paste and then powder. The overall impression was not unlike English almond shaving soap-- rich but not sweet, thankfully. Perhaps there was an oblique reference to sandalwood, maybe, but just. It could have used a bit more sandalwood IMHO. The only subtle variation I sensed was that at times there was the distinct allusion to talcum powder- - same smell, mind you, just more powdery, but that came and went. This is not a strong fragrance, everything is very subtle as long as it is applied in moderation. Overspray and it gets a tad cloying. So, is Antico Caruso worth its high cost? Ah, now that's the question. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. It comes down to whether you like soft almond fragrances. I have to admit that for a fairly long time I thought of selling this, but finally changed my mind, and I am now using it occasionally in Fall and Winter. Frankly, I think Farmacia SS. Annunziata's Isos is very similar and can be had for half the price. Sample both before making a decision.

Joe

21st October, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 December, 2009)

Krysia's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia by Guerlain

I love Mentafollia, even though I thought I wouldn't because I have a love-hate relationship with mint. But there is something magical in the combination of ingredients and their balance. I could swear that there is musk in Mentafollia though I have not seen it listed. The mint does not stand out to me beyond the initial slight "burst" and then it is so mellow in the way it blends with all the rest: the mandarin and jasmine. The cedar and tea take it beyond just a plain little green scent and ground it. It does seem more suited for summer but I am enjoying it as a fall fragrance perhaps because it is not at all fruity or sweet. Mentafollia works well for me in conjunction with the crunchy leaves under the soles of my shoes and their nutty smell. It is definitely happier than a fall day because of its lingering fragrance of rose petals.

nefrino's avatar

Fleurs de Gardenia by Creed

Hi guys,

I have ordered two bottles of Fleurs de Gardenia from New York and was put on a waiting list before they mannaged to track down two bottles from San Antonio Texas, Sax Fifth Avenue.I live in Canada.

Once I got the package and opned it I found only one, instead of two bottles of Fleurs de Gardenia. It just arrived today.
    It did not take me long to find out that I was riffed of by Saks Fifth Avenue from San Antonio Texas by some American weasel named "Pete", thats what said on the invoice. I am on the brink on contacting the authorities since this may not pass as someone's sorry-ass mistake, it was theft and I want everyone to know that.
    He charged me almost $800 US for two flacons since I did not get the limited edition atomizers and decided to send me one bottle and keep the other for himself.

Anyways, the cologne is 70% female and 30% male and is garbage compared to Feuille Verte that I also got.

It has this predominant bitter note to it that smells like someones sweat. Nothing extraordinary, people, nothing.
    Plus I got ripped off.

So there...

Neil's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

So disappointed. I was after another distinctive perfume such as Kouros or Fahrenheit. Gucci pour Homme evaporates and fades very quickly. Unfortunately does not seem to have any layers of scent revealing themselves as it fades, it just disappears - and soon! Not a memorable or must have aroma either; personally I feel I would have been better off taking pot luck with any other perfume rather than buying this.

pandabear25's avatar

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

This perfume is a strange one to me. I don't particularly like the opening, it smells like the color purple would smell if it had a scent, if that makes any sense to anyone... I do however really like it after it's been on me for about an hour. It's got a lovely base that's rich and warm, similar to most of my favorite perfumes. Overall, definitely not my favorite, but I'll use the several sample vials I have. Here is a little bit about the notes I found on a fragrance website: FRAGRANCE NOTES - Vanilla Absolute, Heliotrope, Citrus, Orris, Thyme, Orange Blossom, Cumin, Musk.

Tajsmellsgood's avatar

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

This reminds me of one of those "Cool Water" type scents. It does not smell bad at all. I would have to say this is more elegant than those similiar. ill give it 4 out of 5 stars because it is based on the foundation of another.

acrylic-hunter's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Trussardi Uomo by Trussardi

For all the Trussardi uomo fans in UK. It's on sale at Boots. I have some good memories associated with this one. Glad to say, it's still the same. Tall, dark and handsome.

Zohar by Ayala Moriel

A natural orange blossom perfume that wears well and never goes over-the-top. If Zohar were given the marketing campaign of Beyond Paradise, there is no reason why it shouldn't have such great popular appeal. This perfume deserves a bigger audience. The notes listed are deceptively simple and dominated by citrus, yet the cumulative effect transcends its own soliflore designation and is more interesting than a single floral note. This orange blossom fragrance does not broadcast "orange flavor" as distinctly as those by other (more well-known) houses, and for that reason, I like it better.

Fete d'Hiver by Ayala Moriel

Delightful, versatile fragrance consisting of a balanced mixture of flowers, a touch of citrus, and well-chosen spices on an amber and sandalwood base. Appealing as both a floral and an Oriental perfume. Natural florals make it soft and wearable. Plus, the spices increase the projection and longevity. I especially enjoy the allspice, which carries a seasonal, wintery association. More jolly than Nuit de Noel.

Cabaret by Ayala Moriel

Tasty, light rose and powdery heart on a mild, sweet base. Enjoyable but quickly overpowered by my skin. I need a stronger concentration.

Rainforest by Ayala Moriel

Light, green, refreshingly under-sweet, like rain in the springtime. I love green fragrances, especially those that do not involve citrus, and this fits the description. However, greens perform better on me with a heavier, earthier base to make them last longer.

Kinmokusei by Ayala Moriel

Zingy, sharp, fresh opening that is innovative and original. This perfume strikes me as being pretty in the same way as Diptyque Philosykos, the fig leaf fragrance. There is a certain freshness, like walking into the coolness of the produce aisle. Tangy like mango and aromatic like white peach. On the other hand, green like celery or pepper. Attractive and cool. Smells like summertime.

Balenciaga pour Homme by Balenciaga

This is what came about 9 months after Kouros shared a night of hot, steamy passion with Lapidus for Men.

This "love child" is -- IMHO -- the strongest, headiest scent from this Eighties/early Nineties era. And, as much as I love Balenciaga Pour Homme, I have to admit that I can, on some level, see how it and others like it might steer a generation towards the insipid world of Tommy and Nautica and all their similarly ugly little inbred siblings.

In a word: CAUTION. This is delightful stuff, yes, but it can quickly overpower even the most jaded of noses if it's applied more than a spritz or two at a time. Wear too much and you'll smell like Disco Stu, or possibly an overdressed mafioso straight out of "Wise Guys."

Great stuff, nevertheless -- why Balenciaga saw fit to discontinue this one (and Portos!) will remain forever beyond me.

Fendi Uomo by Fendi

Powerful, leathery, spicy, animalic. Like Yatagan, Antaeus, Balafre and others, this stuff is not for fans of those namby-pamby, pallid, androgynous, "aquatic" disasters out there that millions now call scent.

Fendi Uomo is an Eighties power scent all the way, and it makes no bones about it. If you like Escada or Santos, I can see no reason why you wouldn't like Fendi Uomo, too. The bottle, while interesting, IS hilariously dated in an Eighties kind of a way (looks like Corian trying to look like granite), but that's OK -- I'm not the flacon freak I once was.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Possibly the greatest unisex fragrance ever made -- absolutely WONDERFUL stuff. I don't get the "disco" and "moose on the loose" vibes with MR at all -- on the contrary, it's very sensual and powdery and rich on me, and I get TONS of compliments from both genders alike. I don't find it feminine, either -- just very intricate and (again) sensual and altogether intoxicating. (I find myself sniffing my arm all day long after applying this stuff, much like Acier Aluminium, JHL, Leonard Pour Homme and Havana Reserva.)

It's true that I shudder at the thought of having to plop down another $110.00 (plus tax) at Barney's every time I use up a bottle, but I'll do it again and again as needed -- because this glorious stuff is indisputably worth every red cent.

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Delectable. Serious. Crisp. Earthy. Straightforward. Cold. Warm. Wonderful. (So many adjectives; so little time.)

A definite power scent for me -- great one to wear for meetings with clients and (gulp!!!) family.

Randolph314's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

This smells identical to GIT...for about an hour. Then it's gone, whereas GIT lasts and lasts. At least this is cheap.

Randolph314's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

I really don't appreciate all of the anise. Lempicka starts out way too sweet. It smells almost exactly like Good 'n Plenty candiy right out of the bottle. It mellows out eventually, but the anise still ruins it for me.

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

Light Blue starts out beautifully with a Granny Smith apple note providing the zest, a touch of florals, and some very lovely cedar.
    Presently, it begins to fade, but is still nice enough. The drydown comes quickly, and a bit of musk lingers.
    This would be a nice gift scent if given at the beginning of summer, as most women would make use of it then and appreciate it.

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

If Flower by Kenzo were a blind date, the evening would evolve like this:
    He arrives and is better looking than you'd hoped, he has sex appeal and he is so incredibly charming. At the beginning of the date you are in heaven. Then he quickly starts to lose his allure and you begin to feel let down. "Is it me?" you wonder, as you are still hopeful. But after a short while, you find him definitely dull and even slightly annoying.
    You end the date by shaking hands like it is a business meeting. Your blind date with Flower wasn't a complete waste of time, because he was nice and polite. But he was also superficial and he faked you out with that initial burst of wonderfulness.
    Your friends who fixed you up with him suggest that you were too harsh. Flower by Kenzo is worthy, they tell you, but then they admit he does have these flaws that would prevent them from getting romantically involved with him.
    So what do you do when he calls you for another date? You fix him up with your cousin.

Fleur de Fleurs by Nina Ricci

Fleur De Fleurs starts out with a generous rush of citrus, greens, and bergamot. As it calms down you can relax and enjoy the blend of bright white florals including jasmine, lily -of -the -valley, and magnolia. The drydown will reveal a rich sweet sandalwood, smoky civet, vanilla, and a light musk reminiscent of Kiehl's musk oil. This fragrance has a true Southern Belle feel to it, sultry enough to fall in love with.

quinpus's avatar

Nouveau Bowery by Bond No. 9

When I first upwrapped my sample, I thought I could smell a nice chypre coming through, and it reminded me a little bit of Diva, one of my faves. But as soon as I put it on my skin, the one neon-green note screaming through was lime popsicle - and it stayed that way until I washed it off. This just didn't work for me.

Zachary's avatar

Bel Ami by Hermès

The EDT from the top of the bottle is sharp and smells of lemon furniture polish. The topnotes are rather harsh - there's definitely some lemon and waves of black peppery heat (which is probably helped along by the alcohol). It feels warm on the skin, too - I've seen pyramids on this scent that say cardamom and I woudn't be surprised. The heart of this fragrance is a massive wave of warm and spicy sandalwood and tobacco - this radiates and is only noticeable as it warms on the skin - I read once in 'The Emperor of Scent' that there's a compound called Osyrol that smells of sandalwood and was accidentally discovered by a chemist who dumped something down the sink and flushed it with hot water. There might be some flowery notes in there, but they're hidden well. As it dries, the sandalwood and tobacco persist, joined by the warmth of pepper and other spices. This has massive sillage and seems to last forever on my skin - I've gone to bed with it on and woken up the next morning with it still there. It's a warm, safe, comforting fragrance for cooler weather. It's the favorite scent that I own right now.

rtamara41's avatar

Maybe Baby by Benefit

Maybe Baby has been filling my needs...for now. The peachy tones are not overly sweet as they seem to be balanced with a musky note. But for me it is too light, bright and not quite complex enough for a long term commitment. Maybe Baby is the sparkly little sister tease to the more mature scent of Touch Me and then Try to Leave body cream also by Benefit.The cream is so utterly luscious it makes one want to immediately don a peach colored satin negligee (with matching gown) and then slowly and seductively take it off. Unlike the lighter tease of Maybe Baby , Touch Me and Then Try to Leave takes you all the way with its dusky, powdery, sensual sweetness. Old fashioned feminine sweet with just enough naughty.

cardex's avatar

Slate by Banana Republic

Its similar to 212, with a little bit of CK1. I work evenings and it is the perfect thing to put on to before work if I plan on going out when I get off. I rely like it but not as much as 212 and the older Banana Republic Modern (I wish they still made it)

castorpollux's avatar

Fantasia by Fendi

Another fruity floral that has some soapy and “cleaning detergent” feel to it. It’s watery but it has more longevity than expected. It can recall EL’s Pleasures at some point. The flowers seem to be water flowers or at least water-related : lotus , litchy and narcissus. The scent has a very calming effect and to my surprise, it lacks any fendi-like note:the booze is gone, the aldehydes are non existent and the woody drydown is MIA, it’s almost as if it were made by another house. I think it’s rather pleasant but a bit boring as well. It’s not a very sweet scent but it has some melony note, the aqua effect is very refreshing. It didn’t rock my world, but at least it wasn’t a terrible scent.

22 October, 2006