Fragrance Reviews from November 2006

CologneJunkie's avatar

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

I'm *really* surprised no one has mentioned the similarity to Jovan Musk yet. I just tried this on the back of my hand & all I could think of was that someone had put Jovan Musk in the bottle. Now, that's not necessarily a BAD thing. I have a bottle of Jovan Musk & I like the smell of it from time to time. And as Kiehl's dried down, it did become just a tad more distinctive and refined than Jovan. But my bottle of Jovan was $5, and they were asking $35 @ the store where I saw Kiehl's. Is it really worth it?

ComDiva's avatar

Fleurs de Chocolat Lucia by Fresh

Fleur de Chocolat Lucia is delicious, and that's part of it's problem... One ends up smelling like a bakery confection (a croissant came to mind for me). Too gourmand and sticky sweet for me. I kept hoping the ginger notes would kick it up a notch or two. Unfortunately they never did. A nicely constructed scent, but very food-ey.

Cognoscento's avatar

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I like this fragrance a lot. It combines elegance and sweetness very nicely. Along with the notes pointed out by everybody else, it seem to me that that there is a hazelnut note in there, which is welcome.

The longevity isn't that good on me, even with a pretty heavy application.

Markymark's avatar

Unbound for Men by Halston

I like it a lot. I love it in fact! Better than ADG -- much better and lasts several hours more than ADG. Yes, several hours more. 9 bucks at Marshalls...what a steal. Unbound is a keeper and honestly it's becoming my number one frag.

Quarry's avatar

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

If fragrances were brassieres, Ginestet Le Boisé would be a 34B, and Pomegranate Noir would be a 42D. Finally, a break-through scent with a personality. It's been months since my nose has been surprised like this. Husband says he smells furniture polish. Okay, dear, make that royal furniture polish used on a rich Frenchwoman's Louis XVI vanity.

supermarky's avatar

Melograno by Santa Maria Novella

comme des garcons has nothing on santa maria novella for weirdness...

the dry down of this is nice, and incenselike, I think.

but the whole thing is "out there" for sure...!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

The bergamot and orange blossom notes in this blend strongly remind me of Bulgari's Au the Verte. Starts out fresh. The drydown of Un Jardin en Mediterranee is somewhat dry. On the negative side it loses some of it's initial freshness ~ while on the positive, it remains rich with class and sophistication. I imagine either male or female will be able to wear this scent with no problems. This is my favorite of the "Un Jardin" series, I love it's composition and staying power. This Hermes is top notch!

01st November, 2006 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

zztopp's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A*Men is pretty popular. No doubt about it. Its also quite unpopular. No doubts about that too. And, its also a ground-breaking fragrance.

A*Men opens with a well-balanced, rich, slightly minty accord. Have a look at the top notes; bergamot, lavender, mint. Nice. The top and middle notes overlap, because almost immediately you can also smell some distant yet rich coffee notes. This blend of fresh and minty top notes with the rich coffee is excellent. It reminds me of Bond No. 9s' New Haarlem. So far so good. However, this is the mercurial A*Men. From here, the fragrance goes into overdrive. The shift from middle to basenotes brings a flacon-load of tonka, vanilla, caramel and chocolate notes. This is where A*men no doubt turns into the king of gourmands. Rich, sweet, and a total sillage monster. A holy grail, if this is the sort of thing you like. A skin hugging air sucking nightmare if you dont.

I dont think that highly of A*Men, but any fragrance which was able to carve out an entirely new category of fragrances deserves some respect. I dont like A*Men much, but I respect it for what it did for the fragrance industry. For me, if it had stopped evolving at the confluence of the top and middle notes, it would have been perfection. However, A*Men works well if sparingly sprayed on, and in cold weather. I dont hate it, I just dont like it much. I like its successor, B*Men, more. However I can understand the need to have both in the wardrobe.

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR's avatar

Yasmin by Ayala Moriel

Mmmm - this is niiiiice. When you wear this you don't want to stop inhaling. Makes me feel calm and happy.

houseofstone's avatar

Let Me Play The Lion by LesNez

An excellent richy, woody, spicy scent with no off notes - reminds me of Passage L'Enfer. My favorite of the three...I will enjoy wearing this in the Fall and Winter.

Halston by Halston

I have a definite love/hate relationship with this puppy. I mean, on one hand, it's a rich and woody scent that (IMHO) could be classified as unisex. (Also, along with Youth Dew and Tea Rose, it remains a perennial favorite for making sachets and drawer liners around my house.) But all that aside, the violet notes can -- and sometimes do -- just bowl me over. (WOW -- talk about cloying!) I still keep coming back to this one, and often buy it for my aunt (she loves it even more). Still, the first 30 minutes after application always make me want to put a clothespin on my nose. Weird.

Sheer Halston by Halston

I wouldn't describe this one as juvenile, no. It's a very sexy scent, IMHO -- much lighter than the original and soft in a musky kind of way. Might be more appropriate for a younger woman, yes, but certainly not "juvenile."

Don't see this one much anymore, although it appears to be in production still.

1872 for Men by Clive Christian

Goes on very feminine -- at least on my skin. Smells at first like a hybrid of Estee Lauder's Aliage and Private Collection, believe it or not. (At least on me, that is.) You can definitely smell the petitgrain for the first 20 minutes at least -- very sweet.

Dries down to a beautiful, deep muskiness -- hard to describe. (Smells little like it did going on.) Sadly, almost no longevity on me. Wouldn't care so much were it not almost $300.00 USD for a 1.7 oz. bottle.

Much as I like it, it WON'T be on my Christmas list -- that same money would buy me three bottles of Havana Reserva, or three (tester) bottles of Bois de Portugal.

Thumbs up, but only from a purely critical point of view.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

The proof is in the pudding with this one, folks. If you haven't tried it, get a small bottle -- it won't break the bank. Starts off fresh and clean (without attempting anything "aquatic" or "grapefruit-y" -- just brisk and clear), then works into a wonderful mix of spice and wood. Lasts a long, long time, too, but without overpowering. A definite power scent -- not for anyone who wants yet another mindless automaton from the Tommy milieu.

Damn good stuff.

Catalyst for Men by Halston

One of my top ten favorite scents of all time. (Yes, it ranks right up there among the Bois de Portugals and the JHLs.)

Should they ever discontinue this spicy classic, you can rest assured that I'll be lined up to buy every bottle I can find before the price skyrockets. Fortunately, Halston seldom discontinues a scent. (I can think of only two or maybe three the firm's ever sent packing.)

Rich and warm and spicy -- the clove and nutmeg really make this one enticing. Definitely a cold weather frag, though -- not for those who want to spend their winters wearing Bermuda shorts in Boca Raton.

Consistently nets a massive number of compliments for me, too -- hell, vanity alone would dictate that I keep wearing this wonderful stuff even if I didn't like it so darn much!

TaoLady's avatar

Cabaret by Grès

Wore my sample for one day - refreshing every four hours or so because I like the first impression. Floral and ethereal -somehow made me think of muguet. One of those fragrances that elicited a "oooh. You smell so good!" as opposed to "WHAT is that perfume you're wearing??!!" Meanwhile I loved it.

vdxxl's avatar

Romania Romania

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

Special,an intriguing daytime fragrance.The fruity top note and the woody-cafe base notes make a nice impression.

SniffQ's avatar

Hiris by Hermès

I bought a full-price bottle of Hiris today, and I'm not even crazy about it. I was looking for Chanel's Bois des Iles and the perfume shop woman said it was impossible to find, and made a few suggestions. I love sniffing, so I let her lead me around, chatting about various fragrances she suggested. Small shop, older, very dignified woman. I asked about Hiris, and she opened a full bottle to let me smell it. I was horrified--why would she open a full bottle? I felt guilty enough to buy it. So unlike me. But there was something about the bottle, and the fragrance in it, that I liked. It develops nicely, is very interesting, dry, sophisticated. I get absolutely no vanilla. I do get a sort of dry paper husking around a fall landscape smell. I get nothing warm or comforting, but I still like it. I'm guessing it will develop. There is always the bottle. . .

Randolph314's avatar

Very Cool for Men by Tommy Bahama

Before trying Very Cool, I'd heard it smells like a mojito. It does, but it's not at all sweet or summery. There is a strong scent of mint - real herbal mint, not the synthetic smell passed off as mint by the toothpaste industry. There is also a note of alcohol, but it smells less like rum and more like generic, cheap aftershave. Finally, there is a background ntoe of nutmeg. It adds some complexity but I don't think it meshes well with the mint.

I was disappointed by Very Cool. The name and the company made me expect something refreshing, but the combination of mint, alcohol, and nutmeg is very heavy and a little noxious. The longevity is excellent, though.

smelly_in_melb's avatar

L'Effleur by Coty

This was my first ever perfume (at 10yo). Pulling it out from the back of the cupboard now, it smells better than I remember, but still more suited to a grandma than a preteen given the barbie/lolly scents out on the market today. A strictly floral scent as the name suggests, but more like backyard posies than exotic botanicals.

smelly_in_melb's avatar

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

I needed some help from wikipedia on what Hilary Duff has actually done in her career.. but nevertheless fell in love with the olde world bottle design- meets-the contents of sweet amber notes more typical of the adventurous naughties. I find the basenotes somewhat similar to the male fragrance 'Laguna' by Salvidor Dali.

On the test strip 'With Love' smelt too sickly sweet, but blended with my skin it is quite subtle, feminine and alluring. A pity the yummiest topnotes don't last longer.

Madragon's avatar

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

I adore the "kiss of the dragon".I'd even pay way more! Luscious, pensive and divine. An exquisite refinement of the patchoulis and vetivers which I dont usually find too favourable as base notes. What stays with me is the heavenly gardenia and almond,iris and cedar (just) Almost an improvement on nature. I'm transfixed. One of Cartier's finest & it lasts ages.

Mobster's avatar

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

I bought this originally as a summer fragrance - because I find it to be very light. Top notes are fresh and dry-down not very noticeable at all - no staying power really. Pleasant enough, but nothing spectacular.

Dr. Tamás Szabó's avatar

Hungary Hungary

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I first met Azzaro Pour Homme when I was flying with a brazilian Varig Boeing 747 from Rio to London. A little bottle of this scent, and Azzaro 9 for women made part of a travelling gift pack given to every passenger. Since I first smelled this brown bottled magic i can't forget it. It's probably the best fragrance in the world. I love the calming anised, musk notes of this EDT, i like the design of the bottle, the black-silver package... it's modern, however classic bold character which hasn't changed since 1978.

egciv's avatar

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

really good scent, i found it very similar to latitude longitude from nautica

egciv's avatar

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

best fragance ever, its amazing how it last

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

Well, it's a good hoot of a scent, like Quasar, Peau d'Espagne, Nostalgia and other quasi-comic sexy choices.

I just found out this is unisex by clicking on this review section.

You're putting me on, right? This is completely feminine. It is also, as over the top LOUD as Platinum Egoiste is for men.

New category: Scents that Shout.

So it's popular with the strong sillage/ hear me roar crowd. Not bad and--oddly enough--not cloying, but way to easy to over apply whereupon we're in Screaming Candyland.

I complimented a female co- worker today on it, and she was enormously impressed that I knew what scent she was wearing. Good Lord! If I doused myself in Joop or A*Men wouldn't she know? I rejoice to say I own neither, but c'mon this one is instantly recognizable.

Created for a young or brash crowd, but can an elegant woman over 30 pull this off?

I guess so, if she simply walks through the mist. But then, how many men that wear Platinum Egoiste or A*Men just walk through the mist?

Naw, this is best for gourmand candystripers, or would that be candy strippers?

02 November, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

chocolateguy's avatar

Vietnam Vietnam

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

Can't stand this. Make me vomit!

christykat's avatar

Boss Intense by Hugo Boss

I like this one, too. It's the amber of course. ;) I agree that the dry down is lovely, and it lasts a good long time without being overly powerful. Overall, it has a crisp, clean, yet romantic scent. As long as you don't wear too much of it, I think it's sophisticated enough to wear to work as well.

christykat's avatar

DKNY Red Delicious by Donna Karan

This wasn't exactly what I expected. Be delicious smells like citrus and green apple, so I thought this would smell like citrus and red apple. It does, but there are also a lot of extra, much deeper notes like amber, patchouli and rum. (I think there are supposed to be a lot more, but the other notes either wear off quickly or just get lost in the mix.) It smells sweeter and sexier, generally just more like the colour red than the first one.