Fragrance Reviews from November 2006

castorpollux's avatar

Trésor Eau De Printemps by Lancôme

When compared with 1990’s Trésor, this one is very weak in all aspects.
    But I was never too keen on that early version to begin with, and found it to be too sweet and too strong, even in EDT form.
    This one is a very pale, soft, very light version that combines a few more flowers and lots more freshness that has a very airy feel and a very uncomplicated, pretty and smooth finish.
    The blackcurrant buds on the top are very nice and soft-fruity and the mid is all about fresh peaches and lily of the valley, one of my favorite notes. The base has a very smooth sandalwood and the weakest vanilla absolute, wich I enjoy a lot more than the heady vanilla of the original version.
    Both the package and the box are pretty too, and the bottle is basically the same as the other Trésors, but this one has a golden ring. You might be surprised to learn that for such a “weak” scent, this one has a very good longevity but the sillage is lacking some punch, but I am comfortable with that, as I’d rather have this version to the regular Trésor.
    I think it’s bottle worthy.Fans of the original might be very disappointed.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Contrary to many rewiews here, a very unique frangrance when I compare this to what I had or currently have in my wardrobe. The one thing that stands out to me is the longevity and super-excellent sillage - if I could give 212 10 stars I would. The only "problem" is that one's nose doesn't detect it after a while...
    Make no mistake - after numerous experiments, this one made a huge impression. IMHO

Pi by Givenchy

After finishing 4 bottles I'm stating the obvious. Heavy, sweet, very good longevity and sillage - all what I look for in a fragrance. This is the only Givenchy I've had and I have no need (yet) to get any other from this house. I'd like to have this in my wardrobe all the time, but after joining BN there are so many others I HAVE to try :-)

lefay's avatar

Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer

I bought this based on Luca Turin's rave review (which likened it to a less brassy Bal a Versailles) and was surprised at how unlike BaV this is. It is an utterly distinctive dry exotic floral, but with an insistent, sweet and indefinably herbal joss-stick-like note that persists throughout the drydown. Another reviewer referred to "tasting" this fragrance, and that was how I experienced it, too; it permeates the nose and mouth. It took some getting used to, and I still have to be in a very particular, bohemian frame of mind to wear it. I prefer L'Air, and look forward to trying Orris.

randumbsmellyguy's avatar

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

Soapy scents and me aren't always the best of friends, and the likelihood of a mismatch tends to climb when the thermometer does likewise, even with scents that I wear well in other seasons.

But - surprise, surprise - this passes the test, perhaps because it's not so soapy as it could have been. A rare case in which the feather-light, EDC nature of it actually helps it maintain its integrity. Generally short-lasting though it may be, the wispy, soft-focus finish from drydown to fadeout is among the best of its type.

Undoubtedly one of the great value scents - hardly cheap-smelling, full of panache and gentlemanly aplomb, and the added benefit of being not so common for me compensates for any longevity issues.

AdS's natural briskness running the gamut from breezy citrus to ephemeral herbs and greens - not forgetting a slight camphorous quality that reminds one of mentholated cough drops (in a good way!) when combined with the zesty citrus notes. But the bulk of its transitory lifespan is provided by a gnarly pine note and a rustic moss base. All things considered, a well-designed compromise between old-school power-scent longevity and newer-school warm-weather-ready refreshment, as well as a good break to the normally synthetic, clinical nature of many summer scents (not a universal slam, some are quite good as I'm finding out).

But in the end, it is a compromise. The coniferous tree-hugger in me often wishes it lasted a little longer, but as long as you spray a little more than normal and remember to treat it as a different species with its own evolved characteristics - related to but inherently different from Epicea, Wellington, Pino Silvestre, Green Jeans and the like - you'll enjoy it for all its momentous mystique.

Works wonders on my T-shirts during the summer and doesn't seem to stain. Attempt that trick at your own risk.

renperd's avatar

Jacomo de Jacomo by Jacomo

There are soft notes in here that I like, but I think there's too much clove or cardamom. It sometimes smells like salami - really harsh and too smokey. Ungaro III has a similar note if you spray too much - pepper I think it is. BUT (and this is where the thumbs go up) I've received many compliments from the ladies when wearing Jacomo. Seems to have good sillage.

sherrie11's avatar

Sunflowers by Elizabeth Arden

I wore Sunflowers back in the 90's and I'm sort of in the mood to wear it again. I think it's rather a nice fragrance, yes go easy on it as Calchic says. I guess people OD'ed on it and that's why so many people hate it now. I used to get compliments on it, however. RuffDawg's not the only one who thinks it's a unisex scent. My boyfriend at that time was always borrowing my Sunflowers (and L'eau d'Issey, too)!!

supermarky's avatar

Coriolan by Guerlain

it stinks

and for all the people saying how tragic it is that it's no longer available, it languishes in the for sale board for months on end. . . at dirt cheap prices!

genvy5's avatar

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Smells great, girls love it, TBA Pour Homme is a wonderful addition to the D&G line.

maccus's avatar

Vetyver by L'Occitane

A beautifully well rounded and elegant fragrance which begins with a sensual flourish, burns brightly and then mellows. It is a glimpse of something wonderful but all too short lived.

Lonestar_50's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

Absolutely hideous...smells of turpentine!! This is the type of scent that gives people that wear cologne a bad name. An extremely offensive odor IMO.

sneakysnake's avatar

Chantilly by Dana

I just bought a bottle of this in an Antique shop (in its original box) yesterday. My great-grandmother used to wear this perfume.It seems like a pretty old bottle, but the perfume still smells lovely!

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons

I quite like it. It´s raw, very raw, like just cutted wood but there´s something there, sweet, sweeter as drydown, i dont reconize it, that make me put neutral vote. I don´t think suit both sex, i find it more oriental fragance for woman:(

madridbatabidd's avatar

Spain Spain

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Cinnamon by Comme des Garçons

bergamot, cinnamon, saffron, carnation, benjamin (aka benzoin, a resinous balsam), vetivert, teak wood, white musk, cedar...

the start it´s just lovely subtle icy cinammon and bergamot, then comes the carnation, pure carnation and strong cinammon.
    The concept it´s lovely, it´s fresh subtle with caracther on its own, but i thin it will be more situable for young women, not really men, pity!.
    Thumbs up as is a different alternative option for the ones that like non conventional perfumes,as the other brothers rhubarb and peppermint;)

's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Pivoine Magnifica by Guerlain

I love Pivoine Magnifica. It starts off with a whiff of tangy citrus which quickly settles down to a rich peony with more than a little hint of violet and iris. As with all Aqua Allegoria scents, it is not very complex, but then sometimes that's exactly what you want. I often layer it with sharper Guerlain fragrances (especially Parure and Eau Impériale) in order to 'soften' the bergamot or citrus in them, which works beautifully! Mmm...

Cumbriadave's avatar

England England

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

After the disappointment of L'Homme I reached back for the Rive Gauche to reassure myself how good a YSL fragrance can be. Warm yet fresh, the topnotes are brilliant and it lasts beautifully. A top five and no mistake!

misspring's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

This is Bliss. The Juniper and tobacco notes stand out on my skin and the combo is perfection.
    On me the topnotes are fine, and The Dreamer never gets very weird. I LOVE this one.
    I trashpicked a half bottle of The Dreamer from a friend who's husband had moved on ( but left a lot of stuff in a box at the curb. ) I used it up pretty quickly and happily bought a replacement bottle. This in in my top 5 of "men's" fragrances that I wear. Tarragon might just be the 'weird' note for some people, I feel if you like Tarragon on food, you will like it in this scent. The Dreamer is easy for me to live with.

bonzo's avatar

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

These were still times.....the great Edmond Roudnitska probably had the freedom to create whatever he had in mind-independent from marketing strategies etc.This great artist demonstrates once again his class and high standard:Eau d`Hermes is a warm, spicy, rich flavoured perfume-as it has been said-a bit powdery, soft and sweet.It reminds me of JHL of Lauder: distinguished,classy and longlasting and powerful.Mr. Roudnitska-have a look at all the other great perfumes he created-leaves us a tasteful and perfectly composed eau-it has been launched in 1951 but this one will last for ever and keep it´s class forever-it does not smell dated or old-it is timeless.But!!!do not take to much-the more you take it can become very intense and exhausting and nerving!It is a very rich and intense perfume that may change as it has been already described-a few drops-not more!The sad thing is that even hermes is slowly losing it´s exclusiveness and luxury-hermes was alway still very,very special but unfortunately hermes is beeing copied allover the world and have a look at market places or bazars specially in asia....sad...if you are seeking a special perfume that may give you the feeling of being the only one wearing it then have a look at the great relaunches of chanel( for example)......

bonzo's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

there has been already said a lot.....
    interesting opening that ends in hell-bad leather scent-disgusting,stinky and nerving!If you really wanna smell leather then choose cuir de russie of chanel or bandit by piguet-but dzing is dzing-what a poor name...very sad and boring water....this is definitely not a perfume......

marshallrules's avatar

Green Valley by Creed

Out of the eight sample bottles of Creed I bought I only liked three. Which three those are is unimportant for now - Green Valley, however, was not one of them. Another one that was not one of them was Zeste Mandarin Pample-whatever.

Take the two of them togehter though, wow, a pretty nice fragrence. Actually, its really not a "wow fragrence," its just "wow" these two smell so much better together than alone. The bourgois GV takes over the fruity ZMP and creates a pretty balanced masculine scent.

Anyway, I'm not recommending someone should go out and buy the two fragrences just to combine them, but if you've got both its well worth your trying.

1805 by Truefitt & Hill

One of my personal favorites. Reminds me ALOT of Issey Miyake for men. Very "aquatic" scent. Fresh and crisp. Doesn't seem to last very long on me, however. Definitely in my top two of the T&H line (Clubman being the other)

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

This is perhaps the most offensively foul cologne I have ever smelled. In showing no disrespect to posters above who seem to enjoy it I must note that we all have our opinions, but there is no denying that this is DEFINITELY a "Love it or hate it" scent. It is extremely pungent and distinct, so be weary if you are going to purchase it without trying it out first. It is not for the faint.

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

As with virtually all Bond No. 9 products, Wall Street is damn good. The opening notes are quite peculiar and unlike anything I have ever smelled before. To me, it reminds me of a gin & tonic for some reason. You can definitely detect the cucumber/kale, which are a bit odd, but in the end, it ends up being a very nice oceanic scent. It last all day as well, which is another reason I love Bond. The stuff just does not fade.

the_good_life's avatar

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

A pale preraffaelite rose blooming in cold moonlight upon mine own grave.

To wit: the English rose is a many facetted thing. And where Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet represents to perfection its Victorian incarnation, imperial, orientalist and full of brimming but only indirectly acknowledged sexuality (see my review) No. 88 is a different creature altogether, as its vapors entwine John Donne's darkest moments, Burne-Jones canvasses, My Last Duchess, Aubrey Beardsley, Joy Division and the album cover of Depeche Mode's 1990 Violator. Not surprising then that I would be instantly captivated. This is the kind of scent which I have no desire to rationally understand and only feel I can adequately describe in the given associative manner.

Update: Since production of C&S scents has shifted back to London from Milano the perfumes have changed markedly and sadly not for the better. The No. 88 flagship is happily still recognizable but the dark, licquorous character of Forester's beautiful florals (evident also in Domenico Caraceni and Tremlett's Black Tie) has disappeared, leaving a sweetness than can border on the sickly together with a distinct soapiness, while the gothic associations that defined the original have vanished in my perception. I find the current version to be a decently made scent which many people will find rather obtrusive. Five stars for the vintage, while the current incarnation merits no more than three.

10th November, 2006 (Last Edited: 03rd November, 2011)

ComDiva's avatar

Ginger Milk by Thymes

My very favorite ginger scent to date -- light and delicious! (Any other suggestions, folks?) Effervescent ginger, balanced with lime, bergamont and cucumber. SO much more sophisticated that Origins Ginger Twist (too much orange and grapefruit!). For a complete springtime indulgence, I blend this with Annick Goutal's "Chevrefeuille" (honeysuckle).

Dayknight's avatar

Kiss Him by KISS

Suprisingly...good. I saw this in Dillards and laughed...until I smelled it.

KISS is widely known for their marketing of tawdry products- Christmas tree ornaments, guitars,and even KISS coffins.

I fully expected this to be extremely run-of-the-mill; an ubiquitous aquatic/citrus concoction that was barely worth mentioning and surely not worth remembering. However, this seems to be one of the ballsiest scents of the last couple of years, opening with a huge blast of cumin not experienced this side of McQueen's Kingdom. The cumin lasts and lasts in this, and really drives the fragrance.Sso if you aren't a fan of cumin this is not for you. The stuff lasts too- a full day on my skin, and I swear it is still detectible on a tester card I sprayed it on 3 weeks ago. Its probably not going to win awards, but I do have to commend it for being unique. But I suppose KISS- love them or hate them- are unique in their own way. I'm not a KISS fan, so this actually made its debut as the first piece of KISS merchandise I have ever bought. Gene, I bought your morning coffee. You're welcome.

eric's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Unlike anything I have smelled before. Like said before it's all there. The spices, the smokyness,not unlike CdG's Avignon, which creates the dry "dessertair"like feel.
    The sweet , ambery tones , combined with the citrus. It all blends very well and leaves an incredible wonderfull smokey, ambery layer on your skin. It's definately more suitable for men, to me.

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

The first review I saw of Escape was in a fashion magazine, which defined it as a "water" fragrance. I was immediately put off - thoughts of Cool Water, Hugo (IMO) etc. Then my uncle gave it to me as a present. At first I was disappointed because I wanted CK1!!!

After a few days I realised what a gem it was to have in my wardrobe. Wearable on all occasions, whether it be formal or informal. Good longevity and sillage.

I've had many bottles, but like I said elsewhere, Basenotes made me venture into unknown territory! "I'll be back"!

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

An addition to Joe desire's comments. Had it once, twice and a third time. It's a compliment-getter. Excellent fragrance in my opinion.
    One warning - be gentle on application after a late night out partying...it may lead serious reconsideration.

A*Men Summer Flash by Thierry Mugler

I searched high and low for this. Eventually I got to test IT and agree with previous posts. Nothing like the original at all. DO NOT BUY BLIND.