Fragrance Reviews from November 2006

miladybelle's avatar

John Player Special by John Players Special

This fragrance is very inviting,warm and friendly. The fresh yet heady scent will turn any woman's head. It beats anything I have been interested in in the past. A perfect blend earth,water,and fire. The snuggle factor of this fragrance is over the top!

02 November, 2006

maccus's avatar

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

The references to 'old ladies' are quite insulting to old ladies - no one needs to smell like this. I cannot think of a worse fragrance although Joop comes close.

02 November, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th March, 2013)

purplebird7's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

"I eat crow," is an idiom in the U.S. for "I said something wrong, I will swallow my words." My first rating for Angel was one-star! Now I consider it full-bottle-worthy. It took me seven years to fall in love with Angel. During that time, I have bought and worn many patchouli fragrances from the least to the most sweet: Santa Maria Novella Patchouly, Borneo 1834, Aromatics Elixir, Black Oud, Les Parfums de Rosine Une Folie de Rose, Narciso Rodriguez for Her, and Coromandel. I now embrace the sweetest one of all: Angel. At first, I hated the gourmand genre. My preferred partners for patchouli were dry herbs and roses. Later I accepted chocolate, vanilla and mint. Only now do I embrace the fruit, caramel, and cotton candy that used to revolt me. I must admit -- its dry-down won me over, clinging to clothing for weeks, earthy-fruity-sweet -- so unique and recognizable.
    The huge dose of patchouli is buried under such heavy sweetness that women who hate patchouli do not even detect its presence. I find that hilarious. No more musty, hippy associations. Thank you, Angel for making patchouli popular again. I add you to my collection. Sorry it took me so long. I was wrong.

02 November, 2006 (Last Edited: 03 April, 2013)

cedriceccentric's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Baby by Bobbi Brown

Very aldehydic at first spray, after a while the scent settles as green and tropical (pineapple?). Reminds me of 2 creations of the '70s: Choc de Cardin and Bambou de Weil.
    Rather original.
    Have to admit I thought it was horrible in it's first few minutes. Horrible like in "fruity baby vomit".

Christoph_Georg's avatar

Photo by Lagerfeld

A very sophisticated scent. Timeless for me. I usually dont wear a fragrance to get compliments on it, but this has been complimented many times by girls.
    It evokes nice memories and is a winter scent in my opinion. Suitable for office wear as well as for outdoors / casual. The best Lagerfeld in my opinion.
    It has been relaunched and obviously the relaunched version is unfortunately nowhere near the original one. Still easy to get the original version though.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Trafalgar by Truefitt & Hill

Quite a good balance of the sharp woods, sweet jasmine and spice. The house note of cardamon is present in this spice accord. I normally am not a fan of cardamon, but here it doesnt ruin the scent for me. As levente says, this is good in cold weather.

jellybean1973's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

I arrived at work one day and a colleague, who sits quite a distance from me, said "this is what my husband should smell like every day". Her words were good enough to justify Jaipur Homme Edp.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

It renders me nostalgia. I love this scent but a bit difficult to wear.

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

The top note is very fresh and excellent, but the base note is what I hate - too fruity and sickly sweet. No more than 2 sprays for me. However, it's tolerable.

Aigner Black for Men by Etienne Aigner

I really like this scent. When I wear it I think of Harley Davidson and a black jacket with black jeans. Extra masculine and long long lasting. The bottle is cool, with elegant cap. Give it a try!

Byblos (original) by Byblos

Extremely sweet smelling, very fruity and long lasting. This was a scent that I enjoyed when I was a teenager...it's fun and flirty. Not something I'd like to wear today. I'll keep the tiny wee bit that I have left and use it to take me back to memory lane!

Chic by Carolina Herrera

I quite like this one..maybe it's because I sampled it while I was on vacation in Spain. I can always remember where I was at, what I was feeling with each of the scents that I own. It's a nice floral, not too overwhelming, very fresh but warm.

No. 5 by Chanel

While I can't say that it's my favorite fragrance, I can say that this is truly a unique fragrance. It has endured through the decades and remains one of the top selling perfumes in the world. It is truly a work of art. I remember as an 8yr old, finding a minature of this in a junk drawer in the kitchen (my mother obviously got it as a sample? gift w. purchase?). I remember being so intrigued by it. I couldn't stop smelling it! Just try and picture an eight year old prancing around in Chanel No.5 all week long! I was quite disappointed when I finally exhausted the sample. Now I have a full bottle, along with 3 minatures on my shelf. Perhaps one day if I have daughter-she too will discover this!

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert Extreme by Bulgari

I do like this scent, it's quite fresh and light. A nice alternative to the usual sweet fruity scents. I always receive compliments when I wear this, alas...it gives me the worse headache everytime I wear it! And I also agree with one of the reviewers that it has this odd latex smell to it -just a tiny hint of it, but it's definitely there.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

This at the moment is my absolute favorite fragrance. I usually test a perfume for weeks before actually buying it. But for this, I purchased it immediately without hesitation. It reminds me of Buddist temples in the East..the burning of incense, the ripe fruit offerings for all the gods on the mantle...the surrounding lush trees and tropical flowers, the wood beams of the temple...I just love love love this one!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Blu Notte by Bulgari

The previous reviews are wonderfully accurate. For me, the powdery iris is extremely long lasting, and finishes somewhat dry. Bulgari has an original blend here...sounds like we're all lovin' it!

zztopp's avatar

Greyland by Montale

Notes: Ingwer notes, pepper, elemi, cardamom, woods of teak, kayak, cedars, Aromatic Cystus Albidus from the coast of Southern France, grey musk, the finest sandalwood, leather

Greyland is a spicy woody fragrance to the extreme. Upon contact with skin, Greyland immediately releases a smelly cloud of woods, cedar, and cumin. Especially cumin. Greyland is cumin-ed out to the max. The overriding accord driving Greyland is a salty spicy woody smell with loads of cumin, which inturn makes it a bit "smelly". I kept waiting for the musk and sandalwood base to appear and tame this cumin-ized accord, but it never happened. Cumin won it all, and conquered Greyland. Longevity is average.

Greyland smells like "Jean Pascal by Jean Pascal" without all the citrus-lavender notes taken out and the salty spicy wood notes bumped up in concentration. I like Jean Pascal because of its great mix of spicy woody fresh and faintly animalic smell. Greyland on the other hand smells like the spicy-salty part of Jean Pascal...and feels overdone and unbalanced. Theres only so much cumin a person can take. Grab a bottle of Jean Pascal and drive past Greyland without stopping.

gupts's avatar

India India

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

DONT...DONT BUY unless you want to smell of strawberries that have been sweetened by immersing them in sugar syrup. its so so sweet makes me squeamish. This is almost edible if you like strawberry jam. This could easily be a replacement for Strawberry jam addicts who could spray this in their mouths. Yucks.

Victorian Posy by Penhaligon's

Lauren's rich English cousin. Deep and rosy and bright all at the same time. Wish this one got more play here on Basenotes!

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there lived a fair princess.

One cold and foggy night, the princess walked around the castle walls wearing her brother's galoshes. Upon returning home, the fair princess doffed the galoshes and placed them in front of the fire.

She waited and she waited and she waited for the boots to finally get warm on the hearth. Once the galoshes were toasty, the princess walked over and smelled them to make certain they were thoroughly dry. They were, in fact, quite dry by now, but oh! how they stank of black rubber and leather. Well, the clever princess simply picked up a bottle of Worth's Je Reviens and poured its contents straight into those royal rain boots.

The smell that arose from her brother's galoshes was so completely annoying and yet so utterly intoxicating at the same time that the princess knew what she had to do. She called the royal perfumer in to duplicate this most bizarre of scents, and thus Dzing! was born.

The moral of this story is simple: don't pour Je Reviens into hot rubber and leather galoshes unless you want to smell Dzing!

(Fairy tales aside, I happen to love Dzing!, but it's much in the same way that I love Rob Zombie movies and gefilte fish. That is to say, I have to really be in the mood for it. Dzing! is Bulgari Black's somewhat cruel and very bohemian cousin, and he bears deep grudges against anyone who's ever worn Tommy.)

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

They talked about arid Mexican deserts.
    I smelled lemon and earth.
    They wrote volumes about patchouli.
    I smelled lemon and earth.
    They passed around flacons full of this stuff, and daubed it on their wrists.
    I smelled lemon and earth.
    They dubbed it "a masterpiece."
    I dubbed it "lemons and earth."

Couldn't help but like this stuff, true, but it was not at all what I expected. I had expected an earthy, dark, meaty scent, and I basically ended up getting a holistic, vegan, burlap-clothed version of Eau Sauvage.

Last time I heard, the ever earthy Terre d'Hermes had moved into a co-op in Eugene with some chick named Alice Sky Tuesday. The two plan to open a tofu factory and start an Indigo Girls fan club.

TaoLady's avatar

Trussardi Jeans by Trussardi

The card accompanying the sample says: "FLORAL - SOFT. A fresh and crispy breath (green notes, violet, hedione) A refined floral signature (freesia, white lily, concrete tuberose) A soft and enveloping trail (white muscs, heliotrope, liatrix)" And yes, I have carefully checked the spellings.

The freesia/violet/tubersoe showed up right away on me and lasted through the quick musc-y drydown.

I really like it - a more tethered L'Air du Temps.

vdxxl's avatar

Romania Romania

Emporio Armani Night He by Giorgio Armani

Nice, but very similar to Antaeus. This is probably the only acceptable fragrance from Armani. I rather consider it a daytime fragrance , but this is a matter of taste and personal chemistry.

vdxxl's avatar

Romania Romania

Emporio Armani City Glam for Him by Giorgio Armani

Cheap-smelling,bitter and not long lasting. Definitely this is a fragrance I will always avoid and I do not perceive it as being a night-out cologne.

misspring's avatar

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

Champagne sipped in a sunny meadow. Wild roses and the warm moist scents of summer. This is a joyful scent. Caution: may induce euphoria. The bottles should get empty long before they get old.
    This scent can bring golden sunlight into the gloomiest dark day.

SniffR's avatar

Djin by Michael Storer

Wow! Spicy, heady stuff, especially that first spray. Not for the timid. The dry down lowers the volume by a notch or two so you can smell the different notes. There's something sweet in there but this is not a sweet scent overall. Love the bottle design and the color of the juice (purple). Like all of Storer's scents I believe they will work on women as well as men. Even though it's not for me, I do consider it a well-crafted scent. I prefer Monk's calm but steady presence to Djin's more excited demeanor.

rtamara41's avatar

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Today was a day off for me and I puttered a bit at Sephora, sampling some of the scents that you Basenoters have been discussing. I sniffed Hypnotic Poison and knew it right away, for some reason it reminds me of the East Village (?) liked it very much, but not enough to bring it home with me. I also tried Tocca's Touch, and felt somewhat conflicted...it makes me feel like I should be sitting in my study with the fireplace lit, writing letters and reviewing the menu of the day, like the protagonist in Rebecca, but like her, felt like I was not quite up to the task of being Mistress of the Manderly.

But then I crossed paths with Opium and omigod, this scent speaks to me. But I asked myself...am I the kind of woman who can wear this scent in public? It is so sensual, seems to be a boudoir fragrance, and also , in the back of my mind, it reminds me of my Mother...SHE is the kind of woman who would wear Opium. Have I gotten to this point in my life, that I can wear a scent reminiscent of Mom? And also be turned on by it? HOLY COW! WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN????
    THIS is a scent that makes me think I should be in the boudoir draped in velvet , wearing high heels, and nothing else. Am I brave enough to declare the intensity of my sensuality as I go about my daily business, amongst my neighbors, my co workers , the crossing guards, the grocery checkout boys? After an afternoon spent in the arms of Opium, I decided, sure I can, what the hell.
    I notice a number of folks mention that this is a fragrance for "older" women. Yes, it is true that as a twenty something, I would have turned away from its heady wafting notes. But it is also true that many women hit their sexual peak as they round the bend of forty, certainly true for me, THANK GOD! Opium gets FIVE O's from this "mature" woman.

Strollyourlobster's avatar

Aveda Pure-Fume Tonic for Men by Aveda

Lavender, bergamot, lemon rind. As Parisa says, simple. To be worn on a morning when you wore Habit Rouge the day before, and you went around trying to figure out where the pirate was hiding. Walk outside and have a conversation with your garden--today no swinging aboard with your hair on fire, no cutlass clenched in teeth. Ah.

dimple's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Must de Cartier II by Cartier

It's my favorite one! As far as I know, it's not in production any more. I’m so surprised to hear that you are saying the opposite above. Can any one surely tell me what did happen with Must II. It smells like a beautiful young girl has just came out from a Turkish bath.

zyreak77's avatar

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I used to loved the smell of this cologne when I was in High School. I've owned 3 bottles so far, the last one I've had if for about 5 yrs with about 1/4 left. It have a very strong citrus smell on it, almost like tommy, but better than tommy I think. If you like a strong refreshing cologne, this one is for you, just becarefull don't get carry away on sparying it. Last about 6-8 hours on me.