Fragrance Reviews from November 2006

Henry Coron's avatar
    Henry Coron

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Silver Mountain Water is a modern kind of scent that will quite soon be the definition of classic. Since is interested by: David Bowie, Ricky Martin, Jennifer Lopez, Eva Herzigova, Montel Williams, etc...has huge fans and anyone wants to get it.
    I agree with it's good ads that how pleasant and delightful it indeed smells. Found it to be a very refreshing fragrance with the Citrus, fresh Green Tea and the predominant notes of the Berries combining to created a surprisingly pleasant fragrance. Like mountains and limpid waterfalls, but sometimes reminds me Hermes's Rocabar-however imo SMW has Creed's level and so unique. It makes one's flesh creep!. It is by far the most elegant, vibrant and upper class scent for a dandy-style and daytime wear in metropolises-and also this one is a charming scent that belongs to any wardrobe :>).
    I love it and perhaps is my signature fragrance for future!. Well rounded and well balanced with the great sillage. Definitely fresh and heady which makes it perfect for the rather summer/fall season. This one is very thing I wanted.
    A Class Act.

Brit by Burberry

This is my absolute favorite perfume, because I'm a fan of more urban smelling perfume with natural undertones. I love the subtle vanilla with the spices. The scent just makes me feel so sophisticated. This is my signature scent. Whenever I wear it everyone tells me I smell heavenly.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I love this stuff. I'm not a fan of most male scents, I think they are musky and overpowering, and frankly don't smell good. However, I love this scent. My best freind owns it, and everytime he wears it I hug him more than usual just to smell it. Once I even sprayed it on myelf to smell it all day long.
    It's deliciously metrosexual, and if worn correctly it can be a amazing sentual experiance *wink*.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I recived this scent as a graduation gift from my mother after exclaiming how much I I loved it on my best friend. However, It seemes to smell much heavier on my skin than hers. In the case of this scent its a case by case basis, it either smells good on you, or it dosen't. I still wear it, but only at night. It too heavy for daytime use.

Ralph Hot by Ralph Lauren

I love this perfume, its intoxicating and sexy without being trashy. It definetly gains compliments from the opposite gender everytime I wear it.
    Good for every season.

Coup de Fouet by Caron

I love and own Caron "Poivre," and a tester of Coup de Fouet was given to me as Poivre's "alter ego." The heart of the scents -- spicy carnation -- is the same, but the Coup de Fouet is to my nose more feminine (floral), lacking both the spiciness and complexity I like so much in Poivre. It's a very pretty and well-constructed scent, with the classic Caron base. Just not enough to make my "A" list.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

4711 is one of my absolute, all-time favorites. Come warm weather, this is my default scent. A perfect combination of bergamont, other citrus, and rose/floral with hust a touch of woody/spice. It smells to me like sparkles in a bottle. My daughter loves it, too.

L'Eau de Gouverneur / L'Homme by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I first tried this during the summer, and was completely under-whelmed by the spice/tropics combination. However, trying it again in the late fall, I am much happier with this scent. Allspice for sure, as well as touches of cumin and a bit of soapy overtones. This is one I will save to buy a bottle of to have in chilly weather to remind me of both the sun and smell of burning leaves.

Fleur de Peau by Keiko Mecheri

I tried this a year ago, courtesty of my good friends at Colonial Drug in Cambridge Mass. My first response was, "YUCK! I like complex florientals and vetivers, and you told me I needed to try *this*?!?" However, about half an hour in (give it more time, FragranceFan255), the civet and powder and leathery scents all melded and softened, and a delicious, slightly rose-scented overtone came through, grounded in leather. I went back a week later and bought a bottle. It's a tough scent to wear easily, but I view it (along with McQueen's "Kingdom") as one of my "connoisseur" scents.

Scarlett by Keiko Mecheri

I tested this and almost immediately begged my father (a classical musician)to buy me a bottle at duty free during his next trip to Europe. Blood orange, gold light, pepper and mulling spices in a bottle. Yum! If I'm going to go gourmand, this (and unsweetened cocoa, though probably not together) are the the way I want to do it! There have been moments when I've worried I would smell like a pomander ball wearing this, but I'm willing to take the chance. Unfortunately my Dad's latest European excursion coincided with the "no liquids" nonsense, so I don't have this yet.

Acqua di Parma Profumo by Acqua di Parma

There is SO much going on here! Profumo almost changes minute-to-minute. For the most part, I love it - delicious chypre with florals and spices (especially cinnamon) playing around the edges and coming forward to take a bow over the course of dry-down. One of the few perfumes with a somewhat powdery base that I actually adore anyway.

Eau de Réglisse by Caron

Caron is one of my favorite houses, but Eau de Reglisse has the misfortune of being completely reminiscent (for me)of Annick Goutal's Les Nuits des Hadriens. So, been there, done that. Nice option, however, for those who don't already own a bottle of comparable scent (and the Caron undoubtedly lasts longer!).

Cielo by Napa Valley Perfumes

I took my middle son to Vermont for his 10th birthday, and over our "weekend away" I tested Cielo Napa Valley and came away enchanted. I have tested a number of Dawn Smith Hurwitz's other fragrances (she co-created this with another parfumier), but all of the others have had a base that goes so powdery on me, I cannot wear them. Cielo, however, is a delight. Sweet pea, fig and cassis, without a trace of powder. There is also Daphne odora, which I'm told includes jasmine notes, although generally that is the one scent I cannot abide, and this works fine for me. I adore this scent for spring, especially just before the leaves and snowdrops bloom.

themeglet's avatar
    themeglet

Aromatonic by Lancôme

The first time I tried this on, the man in my life said it was the most wonderfully, citrus-y thing he had ever smelled; lime, lemon, and green tea. It set the scent for the most wonderful summer of my life. This is *THE* summer scent, and it comes (or came?) in the most amazing semi-lotion-tonic-liquid-fragrance form you'll ever find, which actually cools your skin when it's 98-degrees in the sun. My now-husband loves it. I'm a bit concerned that I haven't been able to find it in the last year or two... dear gods, please tell me that Lancome has not discontinued this miracle serum.... The one word of warning: Use *all* of this during the first year or two that you own it. After year two, it starts to take on a strangly potent gasoline/benzina smell that *you* will notice (but your loved one won't, oddly enough...

vadim's avatar
    vadim
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Havana Reserva by Aramis

As good as the original juice. As for the differences, the very name suggests it's supposed to be a nobler and more complex version of the "ordinary" stuff. I don't find Reserva any stronger than the regular Havana - just a bit clearer, sharper and less husky. It seems to have a slightly different opening, with notes slowly blending together rather than leaping forward in one thick cloud of smoke as in Havana. In about 30 minutes though, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

vadim's avatar
    vadim
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Xeryus by Givenchy

Opens with a fleeting promise of fine blending and delicate notes, but is actually a sweet, superficial, sappy, effeminate and dated scent. Avoid.

Vasily's avatar
    Vasily

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I'm not a great fan of MPG, but this is of my all time favorites for winter. I suspect the chocolate note emerges from the interplay between the sandalwood and the vanilla. The coconut note reminds me (oddly enough) of celery seed at times. Mellow and dry and earthy, it gets me compliments when I wear it and it makes me feel classy. It is, indeed, the "nectar of the gods."

TaoLady's avatar
    TaoLady

Beyond Paradise by Estée Lauder

Top note: Eden mist, jaboticaba berry, orange blossom, blue hyacinth;Middle note :Crepe jasmine, laelia orchid, pink honeysuckle, Japanese mahonia Base note :Natal plum blossom, golden melaleuca, zebrano wood, ambrette seed according to OsMoz.

After staying away from Lauder for YEARS because on me anything from her was too loud and demanding I tried this because it was showing up so often on BN.

And I'm glad I did. First spritz smelled oddly of machine oil (ambrette seed? The most expensive ingredient in the world?) Anway, that quickly dissipated and the honeysuckle took over, quickly followed by the jasmine. After a couple of hours it settled into a warm, unobtrusive (!!) and complicated floral. Guess it's all in the body chemistry.

Never realized it's considered a cheap drugstore scent - guess I'll have to gain weight, acquire some pink and white glitters and head for a disco.

Antaeus by Chanel

A very nice scent and considering that it was released in 1981, this one is ahead its own time. Modern for today, it has also been copied by Armani,Emporio Night, an Antaeus with Mandarin Twist. Still Antaeus is far better and longer lasting.

Echo by Davidoff

Far better than Cool Water, but still not enough. It smells metallic on me, it has something fresh-sensual, but just a hint.I believe this is for younger persons when compared to the classic Cool Water

Retrospect by Avon

A nice classic fragrance. It requires a special occasion and offers and aura of a gentleman,with a little modern twist.Anyway this is very good for a man in his thirties.So, I have to wait for this one about ten years!:)

ifconfig's avatar
    ifconfig

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

This is an inoffensive fragrance, a bit on the tepid side. It is also fleeting in longevity.

Comme des Garçons White by Comme des Garçons

White is interesting and original and well made, but I don't think it's suitable for men. Because of the heavy use of rose and spices, it smells almost exactly like rose-based potpourri. The cinnamon is also a bit much at first, although it blends with the other notes eventually.

Rochas Man by Rochas

The notes listed on my bottle differ slightly from those listed here (Heart: Cedar and Jasmine, Base: Coffee, Sandalwood, and Amber). Whatever's in it, it's terrific. It's one of the few overtly sweet scents that I really enjoy.

Rochas Man seems to be aimed at the same market as Angel Men, but Rochas Man doesn't have the Tonka overload that I think makes Angel Men quite nasty. Instead, it smells like coffee with a lot of cream and sugar, or maybe a coffee milkshake.

Although New Haarlem smells a lot like Rochas Man, Rochas Man came first, which should count for something. It's also much cheaper, which definitely counts for something. It's longevity could be better, but it's enough-4 hours or so on me.

Brit for Men by Burberry

In theory, I liked the idea of roses (used tastefully) in a male fragrance. In practice, though, it's just too feminine. It starts off as something resembling potpourri and ends up as baby powder.

Paname by Keiko Mecheri

Paname does smell a lot like Douce Amere by Serge Lutens. They are both sweet, anise-based scents with a creamy finish. Paname is not quite as sweet or creamy, though, and in that sense is more something I might actually wear and less an amusing novelty.

Unfortunately, Paname's longevity is absolutely terrible, so there's not a lot of point in wearing it.

Anvers by Ulrich Lang

What a bizarre array of notes. It's hard to believe someone thought this was great enough to bottle and sell, but then there's not accounting for taste. I absolutely hated this right out of the bottle. For the first half hour the herbal notes are very strong and they don't go well at all with the guava and lime. Anvers does eventually evolve into something more palatable, but it smells very dated because of the herbs and moss.

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

New Haarlem is very nice, but it's a blatant rip-off of Rochas Man. Considering it's also about four times the pirce of Rochas Man, I can't see the point in ever buying it, although it does last a bit longer.

Eternity Summer for Men 2005 by Calvin Klein

The easiest way to describe this is as a muted version of Midori (the liqueur). The use of melon is original and I like that CK was able to create a "fresh" smelling scent without leaning heavily on citrus. The longevity is so-so overall, but good considering that Eternity Summer is a light, fresh scent (which usually have terrible longevity). I could see myself reaching for this once in a while, but not too often given how sweet it is.

Eau de Cacao by Coppeneur

Coppeneur is a maker of premium chocolates which has apparently decided to market a chocolate fragrance as well with Eau de Cacao. Although a variety of notes are purported to be in Eau de Cacao (rum, fruit, jasmine, sandalwood, chocolate, praline, tonka bean, vanilla, musk, and Peru balsam), it smells almost exactly like baker's chocolate. In that sense, it's unlike most chocolate-based fragrances both because it smells like dark, dusty chocolate (as opposed to milk chocolate or hot cocoa) and because there is little in the way of other notes balancing things out.

This is an intense smell, and it's not something I could ever wear to the office, but it actually does work due to the fact that it's not overly sweet. It's expensive ($50 for a one ounce bottle), but a little goes a long way. Samples can be ordered from luckyscent.com.