Fragrance Reviews from November 2006

ActingTall's avatar

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Wow, I'm in love, VdR is a completely intoxicating scent! After trying it once, I was enveloped by a rich and overripe but not overpowering plummy jamminess softened by rose. It was so velvety, seductive, and unforgettable that I had to use it again the next day. After only a couple of hours, I found myself online ordering a bottle. While I agree that it's probably not an everyday scent, I also know I'll be finding (or making) opportunities to wear it whenever possible. It's addictive!

Clare's avatar

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

An artificial mango scent...the promo material says mangosteen, an exotic fruit I've never tried, but it must be similar. With Love is pleasant enough, but not something you really want to smell on yourself, unless you're a teenage girl. Doesn't last long either. Luckily, mine was a free sample.

TaxLadyEA's avatar

Je Reviens by Worth

I have been wearing Je Reviens by Worth for over 35 years. During this time, I have tried other fragrences and, time after time, find they are not me.

Je Revien is elegant and timeless because it is not too heavy or too light or too sweet or too spicy.

This is my scent...

As a professional woman: Je Reviens is light and warm (at the same time); yet the fragrence is not the type that makes the people around me want to take a step back because it overpowers them!!

As a romantic woman: I'll be honest, when I was younger, more than 1 man approached me and asked...
    'What is that perfume you are wearing?'

As a mother: last thing I want to smell like is 1 of those women who wears perfume that smells ohhh..
    sticky sweet or flowery or like a man who just shaved !!

As a wife: he would buy me the perfume I'm wearing AND knew enough to only buy me... Je Reviens by Worth

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

A lightweight BdP (check out the notes) crossed with Cool Water. It ain't bad, but no great shakes.
    I'm glad that, for some of you, the hot babes like it so much. Otherwise you might have gone down the road of perdition with Le Male or Versace Dreamer.
    But there are far, far better Creeds.

06 November, 2006 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Raw Vanilla by Coty

Someone once described this as essence of 50 year old male barfly.
    Snobbish and untrue! It's essence of 50 year old country and western male barfly.

(Teenage boys whose mothers force them to buy flannel shirts at discount stores must also be taken into account)

I find the comment about it being hard to find rather odd: Go to your local Sears, and chances are it'll be on a shelf next to Stetson and other Coty masterpieces.

Linear and ultimately boring.

However, If you are a vanillaholic but can't stomach PI, or any of the more popular offerings, may I humbly suggest you move up a notch: Search the net and get the el puro premium drug bold vanilla with whipped cream:
    Lomani's Ignition.

Gold Man by Amouage

MonkeyManMatt was being far too kind. This is Nicheiosity to the max. Should have been in an old Ab/Fab episode:

Edina: " Do you like it? "
    Patsy: " Er . . .Who made it? "
    Edina: " Amouage "
    Patsy: " It's fabulous, darling. "

Yuck!

06 November, 2006 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2009)

Imperial Jade Emperor by Agatha Brown

I don't get it. It's a fight between sweet accords to see which one finally predominates. Mirror mirror on the wall who is the sweetest of them all?
    Let me know who wins.
    Nicheciosity. The Emperor is naked.

The Unicorn Spell by LesNez

The Unicorn Spell is an iris scent, and a very magical one at that. It starts off like a shake of frost from a unicorn mane, with a cool tinge of violet, and crisp, frost-bitten white rose petals in a crisp foggy November day. There is an underlining softness, milky indeed, of the orris and a tad of wood. This is the most floral of the trio, and the least approachable for me as it has that coolness, slightly sharp greenness that makes most green scents difficult for me to wear. But after overcoming the first sharpness I can enjoy the rose and the softness of milky orris.

L'Antimatière by LesNez

L'Antimatière is the most easy to wear of the trio. Initially, it seem simple. Once worn, the simplicity works a spell in the shape of the softest angora sweater just coming out of the drier. It’s probably shrunk, but it smells great. A clean musk scent, with an unmatched warmth. After dry down the reason for its charm is revealed – there is vetiver in the base, and the woods add depth and interest and turn an everyday routine to an out of the ordinary sensation.

Let Me Play The Lion by LesNez

Let Me Play the Lion is the warmest and spiciest of the LesNez trio. It opens with a burst of cayenne pepper – dry and warm, notes of burning cedar and dusty frankincense. It can be compared to other perfumes that contain cayenne pepper – Piment Brulant, Poivre Samarkand, etc. – only softer. My associations run between a dusty, temperamental desert lion, yet with a mane so soft you want to sniff it, to a secluded cabin in the forest where the fireplace is burning with fragrant cedar and I am meditating with frankincense incense…

Fleurissimo by Creed

I love this scent! Straight up, non-white floral: rose, lilac, violets... delicious and romantic. Grace Kelly is, of course, one of those women like Ingrid Bergman that I aspire to, so any scent she picks for her wedding is okay with me (though I'd kick in some ginger and perhaps a bit of other spices, myself). A true floral winner.

2000 Fleurs by Creed

I want to try the new 2000 Fleurs, but the "old" version is still lovely -- lots of violet and multiple other florals, all piled on what I consider to be the "Creed mint base." I like this a lot, but I want more depth here. Perhaps the revised version adds this? Opinions or testers, please.

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

Speaking as a woman who tends toward spicy/androgynous scents in addition to the "usual" florientals, this is a winner. I actually received this by mistake, having tried to buy "Eau Noir" as a possible substitute for Serge Lutens' "Bornero 1834" (miserable failure of a comparison, by the way). Honey, iris, butter, all come through, with just the faintest hint of powder.

Love In White by Creed

Very pretty, which is high praise from a spicy, "floriental" lover. There's something of a vanilla pudding note at the base, which makes this a gourmand-floral to me. And I am also getting a spearmint note on all the Creed multi-florals I've tried.

gimpy's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Boucheron is one of the most classy, versatile fragrances one can wear, up there with Chanel Pour Monsieur and Nicolai's New York. One will smell extremely elegant when wearing Boucheron PH; at home with a tux yet still able to be worn casually. The only thing I would limit about it is that is really is for the mid-20s and up crowd.

It opens with a very strong lemony-citrus, which evolves into a lovely slight floral heart—though never overpowering. It settles into a lovely soapy/powdery, and light woody base. Class all the way.

gimpy's avatar

Ungaro I by Ungaro

Few scents can claim to live up to the beauty that was Ungaro I. Introspective, melancholic, and very calming. A subtlety that is inviting is Ungaro I. Earthen floors, dampness, and deep red are the images it conjures.

Ungaro I was too niche for the masses, which was the cause of its doom. The best of the Ungaros. A masterpiece.

JDBIII's avatar

Zizanie by Fragonard

I found this cologne while babysitting the neighbors' children in 1972. Yes, I was snooping in the bathroom. It was the first time I realized that men's colognes didn't have to smell like Aqua Velva. I was hooked and never forgot the scent. I bought my first bottle in 1980 and have had one with me ever since. I don't wear it too often anymore, but i also don't want to be without it. It is powdery and sweet. Others have tried to copy it, but IMHO, it remains unique.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Lemon Eau de Toilette by Art of Shaving

Happy to report trying this several times at the AOS shop in Manhattan, and being quite captivated. At first, it seems somewhat rather one dimentionally lemony, but it is not, it wears very well, and morphs nicely to something that is a little like Acqua di Parma, but more straight forwardly citrus, and a little more smooth. Not too sweet; not too weak. If it is still around (in production), I plan to try it again and if the response is the same, to pick some up when the seasons change back to the warmer side of the scale as this could be an excellent warm weather addition to my collection. Check out the AOS website for all the ingredients. Worth looking for if you are a mellow citrus/lemon fan looking for more longevity than you get with most others.

Joe

lelando's avatar

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

I bought this because the very attractive frangrance dealer said it made her feel "frisky" when she smelt it. I loved the initial top notes - so I fell for the classic flattering sales pitch. This stuff is disgusting. Once the beautiful, peppery top notes dry down (Which only takes about five minutes) you get a terrible, oily, sythetic baby wipes smell. In fact- that's a quote. I asked my wife to smell it and she crinkled her nose and said it smells like baby wipes. For me, It reminded me of the roach spray under our kitchen sink. Not impressed.

Givenchy pour Homme by Givenchy

this reminds me of the creed feiulle vert

Ginestre by Santa Maria Novella

flowery with ambergris. creed like.

not really an ambergris fan so not for me

Feuilles Vertes by Creed

memories that will just about completely fade within 2 hours

it smells mostly like the name: a green leaf

I don't see anything to get all rapturous about

at least it doesn't stink of ambergris!

zztopp's avatar

Z by Ermenegildo Zegna

Notes: Sicilian Bergamot, Rosemary, Fruit of Casoar, Iris, Nutmeg, White Pepper, Cashmere Wood, Oak Moss.

I admit I was excited by the opening notes. Fresh, tarty, with a hint of herbs. Good stuff! The listed notes sounded good - iris, pepper, wood, oakmoss! I kept waiting for the goodies to unravel.

It didnt happen. "Z" was stuck in its opening notes phase. Maybe it was one of the few fragrances where the top citrus notes really do last ...yay! So I waited a bit more. No. This was it. Tart, fresh, herbal and citrusy. This was the entire composition, with no depth or evolution. The notes list lied. This puts "Z" into the "generics" category pretty fast.

"Z" doesnt smell bad; it just doesnt stand out from the million other generics. Maybe there was a hint in the name..."Z"....the last letter of the english alphabet. The beginning was the end.

zztopp's avatar

Bois de Santal by Keiko Mecheri

Reviews elsewhere say that Bois De Santal (BdS) doesnt contain any sandalwood. I say that it does. Atleast it does in the first 15 seconds or so.

BdS opens with a cedary sandalwood note (not unlike Tam Dao), which disintegrates fast. Its interesting to see the sandalwood note (which traditionally lingers at the basenotes) moved to the top of the notes pyramid. The accord smells quite woody - lots of cedar and a bit of sandalwood. Its all good, except for the fact that it evaporates inside 15 seconds. After that, the main accord of BdS appears - its a boozy smelling slightly sweet accord which reminds me of D'Orsays Le Dandy. Maybe its the result of the floral (osmanthus) and whale vomit (ambergris) notes. I like ambergris, but here with the osmanthus note it smells a little too "alcoholy". Longevity is a little over 4 hours, albeit in a discreet way (stays close to skin).

BdS contains a top note of cedary sandalwood which doesnt stay around long. I would have liked it to slowly make its way to the basenotes, lessening in intesity; this would have provided an interesting demonstration of the evolution of a sandalwood note. As it is, the name "Bois De Santal" isnt very fitting for this potion. "Bois De Booze" or "Bois De Osmanthus" is more apt - if you like your main accord heavy on osmanthus or alcohol, this might be worth a try. The problem is, many other fragrances do the sandalwood and the booze-accord thingy much better than BdS.

acehimself's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

When I first smelled Gucci Envy, my opinion of it was similar to Zyreak77's below me. It was pleasent, but something about it just screamed "cheap drugstore cologne" at me. It bore a resemblance in my mind to the kinds of fragrances like Old Spice or English Leather which you find for ten dollars a bottle.
    With time though, having sampled this stuff a few more times I've really grown to love it. I still find that association to the cheaper, classic colognes, but it has something more. To me it seems like the ultimate safe cologne. Those who dislike Gucci Envy almost all feel this way due to the fact that they find it boring or unoriginal. Very few people actively dislike the scent.
    It now serves as one of my most frequently used day-to-day scents. Many say it serves best in the evening in more formal settings, but I have used it just about anywhere and found it to fit. The longevity is execellent on this, and it's also less expensive than many other designer fragrances.
    It garners many compliments, regardless of whether it strikes you as "amazing", "intoxicating", or "uninspiring" almost everyone will find it to be pleasent. This one can function well in almost everyone's wardrobe.

tvlampboy's avatar

Halston 1-12 by Halston

VERY green opening on me -- very sharp, highly assaultive at first. Then (very quickly) the drydown begins -- a warm, complex, coniferous melody. Discontinued or not, I can still find this classic at my local TJMaxx and Marshall's for $9.99 a bottle.

My other half likes it a lot, too, and, like me, he's worn it for over 20 years now. We have made a little mini-cache of the stuff in case it ever becomes utterly unavailable again. (Now, if only we'd done the same thing with Havana . . .)

vdxxl's avatar

Romania Romania

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

a sensual classic.This one is not common today and it is a fragrance that inspires elegance,class,self-confidence and it is very manly.But it still offers me sometimes the sensation of having eaten an apple pie with cinnamon.

gkinsky's avatar

Herrera for Men Sensual Vetiver by Carolina Herrera

This is an absolutely wonderful scent, that builds on the classic fragrance of Herrera for Men. If you already own the original Herrera for Men, you may find this fragrance a bit redundant since it's extremely similar to the original. I find it thoroughly enjoyable though since it's one of the first vetiver fragrances that is very modern (unlike Guerlain's Vetiver, which although extremely wonderful, smells dated and a bit old). If you love the original Herrera for Men, and need to buy some more, I'd give this one a try.

Randolph314's avatar

Royal Water by Creed

It's hard for me to believe that this was created in 1997. It smells like it was created in 1927. The strong herbal and floral notes are very dated, feminine, and offputting.

Henry Coron's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Gucci pour Homme is a remarkable and timeless fragrance from famous italian house. At the first I thought it's unique and everlasting kind of scent and now I see I was right. GpH is too woody and perhaps made of wood 'Pinocchio pour Homme is a suitable name for this scent!'anyhow I'm not a lumberjack but I'm crazy about this scent and I recommend it to all carpenters!. Joking apart, this one seems a careful woody/peppery/sweet blend and structure and it is comfortable to wear in numerous times. GpH is certainly marvelous and as my brother says it is like scented woody and metallic things like furniture, ribbons, wet cardboard and pencil shaving-also it has really antiperfume level such as Comme des Garçons's Odeur 71, Odeur 53, CdG 2 Man, etc...very exotic in the terms of structure and also the composition is exactly incredible and surprisingly well done.
    Ouch! it is a pity an elegant smell has definitive longevity problem and I must say it's also lacking sillage. The basenotes with amber, leather and olibanum produced an elegant and a bit Allure-ish drydown and I just really like its closing terms. GpH puts me in such a nice relaxed mood and I find it great simple and well made also.
    Two big thumbs up for 'Geppetto'!!!.