Fragrance Reviews from November 2006

hellcat's avatar

Cool Play by Lacoste

This smells like heaven at the front note, It's like a fruit blast (lasts about 30 minutes), No so fresh at the middle note and comforting at drydown.

Recommended. It's not the best but is a great fragrance.

Gardénia Passion by Annick Goutal

The first impression is the best, but on the skin it becomes too sharp. I miss the flowery part. It's a good scent, not one in a dozen. I agree with Helg that it's not really gardenia.

Liù by Guerlain

It reminds me of Annick Goutal's Heure exquise. A classic fragrance, not for young people. For the wintertime.

L'Instant de Guerlain by Guerlain

This is one of my favourites! It's perfect on any occasion, never too light, never too strong. There is no fragrance like this one. Simply beautiful. The most compliments I get are always with L'Instant. And it's hard to describe the scent. Luminous, and at the same time warm. One has to try this!

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Carnation by Comme des Garçons

this is better than Bellodgia from Caron. Just carnation, pure and simple. When you love the scent of this flower, this is the one!

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Rose by Comme des Garçons

A modern rose fragrance to be used any time. It's one of those fragrances I grap when I can't make a choise. It's not overpowering, fresh, good staying power. I like the combination with the fruits which makes it not old fashioned, what many rose fragrances have.

La Rose de Rosine by Les Parfums de Rosine

On me this fragrance is a bit strong, but I get many compliments. It has a good staying power. Better than Annick Goutal's rose absolue, which is 'dusty'
    This one is more romantic.

Damascena by Keiko Mecheri

A wonderful rose like scent. It's definitely a modern fragrance. You can smell the roses, more the fresh cut mai rose and something else which gives it the staying power.(musk?) In a strange way this frangrance makes me think of modern, glass buildings and white furniture. It's not sweet in the candy way (ribbons and giggling girls) but
    more straight to the point sweet. A fragrance with self confidence. I think once you learned to like this, it's forever.

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Terrible. Sorry Guerlain. This perfume sticks too everything, it goes in your nose, your mouth etc. Even a little bit makes me sick (like guerlain-lover experienced) It's very much like Heure Bleue, which has the same effect on me. Too strong, too sweet, too everything.

kat91210's avatar

Bright Crystal by Versace

I first discovered Bright Crystal by reading Cosmo with a guy friend. At the time this was a guy friend that I was interested in so when he told me that I should buy the perfume because he thought it was sexy, I was immediately interested. So then when I went to Sephora while on a class trip to NYC i sampled the perfume and now I'm in love with the sexy aroma it has!

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Yatagan by Caron

Celery and gunpowder! My advice for those of you who love it would be to step out of the kitchen into the dining hall of the palace and take your rightful place at the head of the table with Penhaligon Blenheim Bouquet.

Nevertheless, one must grant this is a a most unusual frag. Perhaps I'll buy when I run out of Jacomo de Jacomo, my present sinus rocket.

06 November, 2006 (Last Edited: 21st October, 2011)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

A great feminine floral green acquatic fruity composition with rose and jasmine that should only be bought in EDP. A signature scent of a current gf, and I can't fault her for her loyalty. As a previous reviewer noted, this is the one that she reaches for again and again.

kewart's avatar

Blonde by Versace

On those days when you feel like a big, bold, feminine scent then Blonde is probably one to try. It is voluptuous and blousy, hard to ignore and very sexy. If you like tuberose then you will be in your element; there is also quite a strong orange note shining through. I am on the fence with this scent - sometimes it seems perfect, other times not at all suuitable. Think warm,dramatic,
    effusive NOT shy, retiring or elegant.

mikey_p's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

Jicky is simply radiant. True, it was not love at first sight and I would say that it is most unlike the majority of boring fragrances produced today. This can be quite alarming to those not having encountered it before. The civet in Jicky is particularly evident. Some say it is faecal and I would have to agree with that. However, it is anything but unpleasant. It gives it a warm soft and somewhat animalistic feel. It does seem to alternate between masculine and feminine but I would say mainly masculine. I dont normally like lavender, but it is done so well here. I have both the EDP and the Parfum, and I must say I prefer the EDP. It does not last as long as the Parfum, but it is more soft and the civet is more pronounced here (which I adore!) I dont normally care if anyone likes the fragrance I am wearing, but I would say that I always get compliments when wearing this.

Shalimar by Guerlain

My number one favorite. When I want to be mystique.
    Its very strong, Sometimes it even makes my skin to burn. But I love it, and I use it very much.

Magie Noire by Lancôme

This one comes near Marina de Bourbon a la Francaise. I love that a la francaise, but they dont do it any more, so magie noire is now on use.

Blu Notte by Bulgari

I love this one.
    it´s like liquorice on yor skin. You want to eat yourself.

zavalita's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Very good choice in buying this stuff - especially for the total versatility of this perfume, that is so well formed and built, that can be wore anytime, in the office or at the picnic. It simply breath clean soapy goodness and maturity, which is the real reason a man should wear a perfume...
    Both the EDT and EDP are good choices, for different reasons ; the first is good after your morning shower, the second after you have put your clothes on, and you leave the home for hours.

zztopp's avatar

Pour le Jeune Homme by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Notes:
    Top: Bergamot, lemon, brazilian, orange
    Middle: Neroli, rosemary, nutmeg, coriander
    Base: Musk, sandalwood

MPGs pour le jeune is a great spicy citrus offering. One of the first things thats noticeable upon initial application are the very natural notes of lemon and orange - bright, effervescent, natural, they just smell great! These are shortly joined by a spicy tart accord - the combination of nutmeg, coriander and a sharp neroli note lends a spicy tinge to the overall composition. The coriander and nutmeg never take over the scent unlike say in YSL Live Jazz. The drydown is smooth, musky and muted.
    Sadly, le Jeune is lacking in longevity - on me, it lasted for 2-2.5 hours max.

Pour le Jeune is not terribly groundbreaking or original. It is however a very well made spicy-citrus scent from a great house. Although it's lacking in longevity, this is one I wouldnt mind refreshing (If I were loaded, that is).

genvy5's avatar

Visit by Azzaro

I started off loving it, just as teflondog and livejazz did, and now I share their sentiments. Too much nutmeg indeed. It doesn't smell like much else to me. I still like it, I don't know why, but I can't wear it anymore, which sucks because I have a 97% full 3.4oz bottle of it.

buyers_remorse's avatar

Silver Scent by Jacques Bogart

When I first smelt this, I though wow, its unusual. You pay top dollar for any perfumery in England and you actually want to know that there exists an apprecible aura of unmistakability of clean, fresh and someone who has gone out to anoint and indulge in a good grooming! To that end it is is all things to all men! A piano concerto of indulgence and smell. Highly intoxicating to the olfactory senses! A wow with women! Certain to get noticed and not smelling like the rest of the pack!

SniffQ's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

My second-skin fragrance. No metal, not harsh, no mosquito repellent. I have a weird body chemistry, and CdG 2 masters it. Never loud or harsh, it is something different every 30 minutes. I don't know what sumi ink smells like, so I'll guess that's the spicy top note. It then spirals up into something almost rose, but not floral, sort of like walking through a fabulous florist shop which has one fresh rose in the cold case. As it dries down, it is comforting but not cloying, sexy but not vulgar, elegant but not sharp. And since I like a body cream with it, I layer it with Costes. Divine!

Randolph314's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

To love Original Vetiver, you really have to love vetiver, and I don't. But, it is the best vetiver fragrance I've tried. It's darker and less soapy than most. Probably not coincidentally, it's also the only vetiver scent I've tried that has decent longevity. I don't think the comparisons to Mugler are justified.

Randolph314's avatar

Musc Alizé by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Like other CSP scents, Musc Alize has a sort of tropical airiness (white musk in this case) balanced by some unusual fruit notes. It's pleasant, but I'm not wild about it because it's very weak. Also, unlike some other CSP creations, there is no spice or wood note, and as a result it's very feminine.

whatawprld's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

This smells like rich hippies. It always makes me sneeze when I first spray it on.

ethereal's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Original Vetiver without the soapiness... maybe a little less longevity, but despite that, very nice.

Endymion's avatar

Hungary Hungary

Horizon by Guy Laroche

the best word that would describe Horizon for me is SENSITIVE... let it be good or bad for anyone. i really loved this fragrance when i was young, it gave me impression of wet rocks at an ocean coast after a cooling rain. fresh and melancolic i have to say ;)

Endymion's avatar

Hungary Hungary

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

2 me it smells a lot like The Dreamer by Versace (that i'm not fond of), however it's sweeter and much better in some ways.

laura willoughby's avatar

Délices de Cartier by Cartier

i got a decant this week, and i think it is just delicious. I tend to tire of fragrances quickly, but with i couldn't stop sniffing my arm. i read somewhere that the perfume is fantastic. my son loved it, and he usually doesn't like perfume. i'definitely getting a bottle.

joe^desire's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

well...at first i like this fragrance,when i tried on a paper,smell not bad.when i tried on my skin,smell like cut green grass...after few minutes its smell more sexy..after few hours its smell great on my skin!then i went to perfume shop to try and trying for few times...at last i decided to buy it.you know what,i bought the 50ml,and i get 250ml shower gel for free!wow!i like the shower gel very much coz its long lasting on my skin,i never use such lasting shower gel.overall this 212 MEN smell sexy,masculine,modern.and the most important thing this fragrance is WEARABLE! ANYTIME ANYWHERE! THUMBS UUUUUUUUPPPPPPPP:-)