Fragrance Reviews from November 2006

joe^desire's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Chrome by Azzaro

my best friend give me this fragrance as a present.well,its smell like ck one....but for me it is much more long lasting on my skin if compare with ck one.people keep asking me...what perfume u wearing today,its smell so nice!i will say azzaro chrome!i found out this fragrance is suitable for evening....but i also like to wear in office and also casual wear:-)

egciv's avatar

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

great scent and long lasting boss and hugo perfumes are the best ones

Mr. Brightside's avatar

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

FIERCE is definately the "American heritage" scent (at least for teenagers). Abercrombie & Fitch has done a fantastic job on this one... if we take a look at the youth of today's world. Ask any preppy 16 year old American guy on the street what their first cologne was, and they'll reply, "FIERCE by A&F."

Sure, it's not for everybody, but for the majority, it acts like spray on candy (without the tooth decay). We could criticize FIERCE just because of a thing against the A&F stereotype, or we could look around and see the results.

I'm no expert at fragrances but even if FIERCE happens to be lesser in quality of material than let's say for instance, Creed products, I don't think that it matters after what it's done (who knows... maybe it's high quality stuff after all).

garzagallery's avatar

Zipped Sports by Perfumer's Workshop

I agree with Renato. Zipped Sports is light but very complex.
    It's a bright mix of herbs and citrus held down by a firm roasted wood drydown. Not a must have but a great inexpensive addition to a man's seasonal wardrobe.

garzagallery's avatar

Samba Kiss Me Man by Perfumer's Workshop

This fragrance is absolutly wonderful. Rich, powdery and complex with notes of nutmeg, oriental spice and ambergris. This is a well balanced and well made scent. A highly recommended inexpensive addition.

Reena1213's avatar

Forbidden Fruit by Desperate Housewives

I absolutely LOVE this perfume!! After Victoria's Secret discontinued Victoria some years ago, I've been searching for a new "signature fragrance" I thought the DH scent might be overpowering and a hastily put together perfume just due to the popularity of the show...I was very pleased with the layers of fragrances in this, first you get a light smell of apples, but not sweet. Then it turned soft and alluring on my skin. My husband absolutely loved it and I'm sure "Santa" will put some under my tree this season!

Anucci Man by Anucci

Very sweet and pleasant initially. Dries down pretty quick to a long lasting, full bodied floral scent. Don't need to use much. If you like Watt Green you'll probably like this one more.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Not sure why people say this is weak. This scent is very rich and long lasting. No significant fragrance shift during drydown. I would call it flowery or soapy smooth rather than spicy. Not cheap but a little goes a long way. Classy stuff!

Society Yachting Men by Society Parfums

This stuff is fantastic. Only negative is that you have to use A LOT of it. Very subtle marine scent. A must have.

Clayton's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Snow by Demeter Fragrance Library

Every bit as noxiously ozonic-aquatic as Demeter's Rain, but since it forgoes Rain's melony sweetness in favour of a less familiar metallic tang, it does manage to be marginally more interesting. It's still profoundly not to my taste, however.

flathorn's avatar

Lapis Lazuli by Galimard

This is a pleasant, feminine and versatile fragrance. It's versatility lies in its balanced treatment of fruits and florals with a soft base, and a feminine easy-going personae. This makes it appropriate for daytime or evening wear. I find it to be a fragrance that sort of 'fits in' wherever it's at, and part of that trick is that it doesn't have an assertive sillage, just a gentle wafting around your person. I think the name is a little misleading - I was expecting something more oriental, or less floral than it is.

moondeva's avatar

Yasmin by Ayala Moriel

Top notes: Frangipani, Mimosa
    Heart notes: Jasmine, Gardenia, Jasmine Sambac
    Base notes: Amber, Sandalwood, Cassie

I have been searching for a jasmine soliflore for years. Upon first application of Yasmin I thought my searched had come to an end.
    A pure unashamed jasmine that envelopes, intoxicates compelling total surrender and yet leaves you still craving more. Here is jasmine in all her full blown heady glory making me feel completely feminine – I am woman, hear me roar!
    But sadly, it is not meant to be.
    The jasmine in Yasmin is already fading and as the scent settles and melds with my skin, it morphs into a caricature of its former beauty. Somehow the lilting, heady delight of the intense jasmine has now sadly become heavy and ‘mealy’. Even the amber and sandalwood listed in the base notes, which usually turn to smooth, creamy sensuality on my skin, cannot save this scent.
    Like a tragic heroine, I am once again bereft, left aching with the memory of a brief perfect love that was not destined to be. My search for my ideal jasmine soliflore goes on...

moondeva's avatar

Tamya by Ayala Moriel

Dedicated to Ayala's daughter Tamya does convey an aura of youth and freshness. Tamya is that rare thing a 'true' jasmine scent that is sensual and feminine but remains clear and translucent. This perfume is wonderfully blended, so well that it is almost impossible to separate the different 'layers'.
    Tamya opens with a softly green fruity accord (Japanese citron, blackcurrant buds and coriander) which quickly succumbs to the dominate heart of this scent - Jasmine. The listed heart notes are sambac jasmine, hyacinth, and frangipani but jasmine is truly the reigning queen in this parade. Tamya dries down to a subtly sexy skin-but-better scent, smooth and creamy, yet still retains the bright-eyed freshness of its more innocent opening - one cannot help but be seduced.
    Inspired by the twilight hour before sunset, Tamya spoke to me of summer and the scent of sun caressed skin at dusk.
    Like youth, summer and a first kiss, Tamya is too delicate and fleeting to secure a place in my wardrobe, with little or no sillage. I believe that Tamya would be perfect in summer, on long balmy evenings and this is what comes to mind as I sniff my wrist. I may reconsider purchasing this next summer but until then I shall savour the sweet memory of this homage to the beauty of a girl on the threshold of womanhood.

LouLou by Cacharel

Too sveet. It was good when i was young girl, not any more.

Accenti by Gucci

feminine scent.Strong, long lasting. I count it on same gategory as coco.
    In business occasions perfect.

Marina de Bourbon by Marina de Bourbon

Thisone I love.Sweet fresh, perfect at work. Only you must ad some during the day. It´s for happy people.

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

first its like shock for rose, green, nature. Then it gets better. Allso like other Diptyque scents, not so parfymlike.
    Light scent.

Philosykos by Diptyque

summer scent. Too light, allmost like green fields.natural.

Tam Dao by Diptyque

woody, spycy, not sweet. Not so parfym-like.
    I wear this when geting dogs out. It´s good, but not so good that I would wear it in everydaylife.

Provocative Woman by Elizabeth Arden

not so provocative but nice. Sporty and nice.Its good when you want to get attension at daytime, sure you had to have near contact.
    Not too sweet, fresh.

randumbsmellyguy's avatar

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

As I continue on my olfactory journey, I've had to re-evaluate opinions and assumptions time and again.

Lanvin's Oxygene Homme is a fragrance that could be described as fresh, clean, synthetic, airy, atmospheric, aquatic, safe, neutured...you get the idea.

And yet, I really like this stuff. Though its initial impression is hardly mind-blowing, it's really growing on me. Why?

The juniper and coriander sit in the scent very noticeably but demurely - they let you know they're there without screaming (though if they did, given my scent predilections that'd be just fine). The more abstract, synthetic notes that suggest sky and sea more than they swirl around it like a steady but gentle confluence of air and ocean currents.

The white musk base is expected with this type of scent, but it more than does its job of propping up the whole thing. Seriously, this stuff will hang around, but the sillage never sledgehammers its point home - it always speaks in a measured tone of quiet confidence.

It may be modern and fresh and clean and all that, but it wears so well for me that I can't help but think I've been too hard on the fresh/clean/synthetic thing in general. Coniferous/herbal accords always draw me in like tractor beams, and this has enough of each (a light dose to be sure, as the overall impression is accordingly light) to get my attention. Soon, I'm appreciating the entire scent up and down. Granted, there's not much happening here and the scent is unerringly linear (at least for me), but simplicity's sometimes just the thing, especially come summertime.

Angélique Encens by Creed

Essence of bliss. The angelica is heavenly. Coupled with the vanilla, it presents a perfect amount of sweetness, long-lasting but expressed with a light hand. Creed lists tuberose as a note, but it is discreet--a difficult task to accomplish with this flower. There is a dusty frankincense hovering over all. Addictive, like the scent of Play-Doh. This is a smooth, sweet, skin smell that clings without being cloying. It becomes the wearer. Simple and appropriate in all situations, on all ages.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It is by Serge Lutens, so I have come to expect it to be sweet, with a strong presence of benzion. Many spices, well-blended, and lots of dried and candied fruits. Figs, dates, nutmeg, cumin, and cardamom feature prominently. However, I get a strong association with rum-raisin cake. There is a buttery background that pushes this too fragrance too far into gourmand territory. I prefer Ambre Sultan, because its sweetness is anchored to the resin and tempered by the dryness bay and oregano.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Much praise has been heaped upon the tea genre, and I am a lover of tea. This is supposed to epitomize the genre. I was puzzled when this fragrance impressed me otherwise. I found large amounts of honey, a perfect amount of smoke, and a hint of tea. I, who used to run from the least amount of smoke, have begun to seek this note as a copunterpoint to sweetness. I would love this fragrance if it consisted of a large amount of tea, the same amount of smoke, and a hint of honey. The nature of honey is such that flowers and herbs readily impart their flavor and fragrance to it. I'm sure there is a plenty of tea in here, but I am unable to separate it from the honey. If that note works well for you, this fragrance will be very pleasing.

Ambra by Etro

Soft but strong, easily wearable amber constructed in the minimalist style of Etro. A touch of bergamot and orange, a hint of geranium, all subtly done to accent the vanillic goodness of the amber, which is clear and sweet. My own tastes lean toward pungent fragrances, which explains the less-than-perfect score. I think it is a fine amber fragrance.

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Ethereal, fine, lemony frankincense. Leaves plenty of room for personal chemistry to interect with the fragrance. Lovely, but a bit too light for me. My skin kills light scents.

Original Vetiver by Creed

I have grown to enjoy vetiver. My first experiences with it in other scents were challenging--it made the herbals notes too harsh it made the flower notes too dry or sour. Then I smelled a lovely bitterness, like rustling dried grass (in Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo) and decided to try it as a "soliflore" fragrance. In Creed Original Vetiver, this herbal lovliness shines through, supported by notes such as bitter orange and cedar. Vetiver, like patchouli, depends upon its quality for its palatability. Cheap vetiver, like cheap patchouli, is harsh and leaves a lasting bad impression. Quality vetiver, like quality patchouli, is a note that can elevate fragrance from merely good to exceptionally fine. The only problem that I continue to have with it as a solo fragrance is this: People in our culture, in our climate, have no reference point for vetiver. We cannot say, "ah, it smells like newly-woven baskets" or "it smells like a freshly-thatched roof." Instead, the guy at the check-out counter at the convenience store looked at his co-worker with the spritz bottle and rag and said, "What's that smell? Vegetable cleaner?" I paid and walked out the door without explaining. I will be the first person to admit that my tastes in perfume are far from the norm, far from popular tastes. But when it reaches this point, I wonder if I should stay home and enjoy it myself.

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

As did other people, I expected mostly cedar with a name like this, but found mostly tuberose. This is an attractive but difficult flower for some people to wear. I prefer it paired with a great deal of woodiness, which I did not get here. The clove, which is another note that I like, provided no further assistance in toning down the heat and sweetness of the tuberose. I envy those who can wear this, like I envied those who could wear Dior Poison. On me, it sits on top of the skin and never quite becomes me.

Aoud Roses Petals by Montale

Oud has a preternatural way of taking rose and ramping it up to glowing neon intensity. Gorgeous, pungent, spicy, dark rose. Bitter, leather-like presence. Creatively rosey, like the distinct rose fragrance of the old-fashioned cream in the white glass jar. Sexy on men and women. This whole line of fragrances is bewitching. Black Aoud is also great.
    After wearing this for a long time, I finally got my hands on a sample of real oud extract, and I have to say I'm unsure if any commercial perfumes actually contain real oud. The real substance is sweetly dirty, has an almost "repulsive" quality, and smells alot like rotten wood. It also smells like oak wood that has been sawed too quickly in a mill, and has a "destroyed" smell. All of the oud perfumes I have tested, including Montales, have more bitterness and an acetone edginess that real oud doesn't have. I think Madini's Agarwood has come the closest to the real thing.

08 November, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 May, 2008)

jimmyfresno's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Should be called Leming. I own it and was lured by the craze to buy it untested, but never have I seen such hype since "Coty001" (The "digital" fragrance with a note of "electrostatic accord" launched as an experiment by an Advertising man at Coty in 2001). Such a backstory!

I am a fan of rubber, but what others read as rubber comes to me as syrupy sweet amber. Dzing does not contain elephant. I was taken to no circus by this one. No imagery of trapeze-flying women occurred to me. I was taken to another amber vanilla wanna-be that made my co-workers scratch their heads and hesitantly say, "James... what's that...cologne..." I felt like I had come out of Wal Mart and sprayed all of the Vanilla Fields bottles down my shirt. Calliope music, please, $175 later, who's the real clown.