Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

laurent's avatar

JF by Floris

A classico modern fragrance that combines zests - woods and greens in a sophisiticated cocktail that is full of life and energy.

A real wave of sunshine in the morning that lasts all day - and this a plus for a zesty fragrance.

Easy to wear am/pm - office - sport etc.... it will not carry its wearer and it will never give the wrong signals at a meeting

An ageless winner in my taste

A very strong thumb up

Laurent

01st December, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 July, 2008)

lelando's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Just received my bottle of this. First let me say kudos to Basenotes. I have bought several items based on combing through the reviews of this community - and as a community, everyone does a great job. Now to the fragrance. I was extremely excited about the arrival of my golden bottle of MI. Once I put this on - I was not dissappointed. I applied three sprays then picked up my wife for dinner. She couldn't stop talking about it and asking me what I was wearing. Let's just say the evening went REALLY well.

This is a very fresh - yet strikingly masculine scent. Fruity and salty with an impeccable woodsy dry down.

It's marine, fruit and wood like no mass market frag could do. No wonder it was made for a king - that's how it will make you feel when you wear it.

The more I wear Creed selections, the farther away I get from buying over the counter mass market scents. This is a must have for any refined gentleman's collection!

zenpiper's avatar

Fracas for Men by Robert Piguet

Lately, this has been my default fragrance; the stuff I wear when I can't decide on anything else. It's just awfully good, unique and almost nobody else wears it (nor Bandit for men, also by R. Piquet). I disagree with those who consider it soapy; this is very clean, fresh, a a bit mysterious because it draws one in repeatedly. There is just nothing like it: unique and outstanding.

01st December, 2006 (Last Edited: 25 January, 2007)

1280adam's avatar

Romance Silver Men by Ralph Lauren

It's not a bad, it's just too boring.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Arabie is a weird one. I don't find it very sweet or gourmand-y, in fact, less so than I expected. Instead, it's very spicy, weirdly spicy, like Chypre Rouge. Yeah, Chypre Rouge is definitely the closest to it I have ever smelled. They share a certain "sour" spiciness, like the scent of an oriental food store, balanced by a hint of gourmandy sweetness. I can't say I enjoy it immensely, but it's too odd to part with.

L'Eau du Navigateur by L'Artisan Parfumeur

At first I was disappointed. I had expected clearer notes of leather, coffee, wood and spice, perhaps a masculine gourmand scent in the vein of Aomassai, Idole or Bois d'Ombrie. But this is nothing like that. This is a smooth "vintage" scent with no notes popping out at you. No wonder since it's from the 70ies and no trendy concoction. It is a bit "sweet & sour", musty and stale like so many vintage or vintage-styled leather/herbals are, scents like Bandit, Art of Perfumery No 6, Aoud cuir d'Arabie, Harmatan noir... Some of these I don't like but L'eau du navigateur has a buttery softness from the leather to conquer the vintage-y sourness or bitterness of it. I have grown to appreciate it.

Le Dandy by D'Orsay

For me, it doesn't live up to its name. It's not warm and rich and boozy enough. It's more of a sweet, light, fruity scent, apples and pears or apple or pear soda even, kind of sparkly like that. Not a dandy but a young pretty model in a frilly version of dandy clothing.

Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Santal Blanc is not as good, or as complex, as the divine Santal de Mysore. I don't smell sandalwood per se, but then again I'm not so sure I know just what sandalwood smells like. It's not a very "woody" note to me. Perhaps it's almost musky or ambery more? At least that's what Santal Blanc and Santal de Mysore have in common, and what makes Santal Blanc a keeper. Other than that it's sweet and soft and gourmandy, pleasant but not very thrilling.

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Yum, liquorice! I'm not a huge vanilla fan, but I really enjoy the combination of sweet, creamy vanilla and edgy, cool liquorice. There is a nice burnt sugar note in here too, probably from the bitter almond. It's toothachinly sweet, but still somehow tempered, probably by the "coolness" of it. I really enjoy it. That said, there are probably about a gazillion cheap perfume oils smelling more or less like this.

Ginger Ciao 2.27 by Yosh

I don't get the hype around Ginger Ciao. To me it smells just like the perfume oils that cost a tenth of the price. It dosn't even smell like a perfume to me. It smells like the sweet white florals in lotion or conditioner. Of course I'm biased, I don't like white florals. But I had hoped for a gingery edge, a spiciness from the basil, a creamy richness from the coconut, anything... A very bland scent, not the exotic, luxurious thing I was expecting.

Greyland by Montale

Greyland smells "perfumey". Nothing else. I think most Montales have a certain "perfuminess" to them and I had to grow accustomed to some of my favourites, but in Greyland there's nothing to grow accustomed to. It starts out with an interesting smokiness but after that has faded it's just synthetic, sweet, and slightly perfumey-sharp and cool. I'm sorry, but I can't be more specific than that or pick out a single note.

Temperare 01 by Temper Chocolates

I was hoping for something like dark chocolate with candied ginger, but alas, it's a bleak, almost "watery" citrus scent, quite artificial and nauseating, mostly grapefruit I think. In the opening I get the faintest hint of ginger but no chocolate.

Orris by Tauer

I had to try Orris after all the hype. And yes, it's rich and well done like everything Andy touches, but it's not for me. I don't like florals, and I especially don't like cool and soapy florals like iris and violet. I like the basenotes in Orris, the trademark smoky tar, but I don't like the sharp blast of icy cold soapy iris in the top. This is not a sweet or feminine floral, this is a green and fresh floral, slightly lavender-y, and for those who go for that I'm sure it will be a hit. I just don't like the metallic edge to it, like a bar of soap cut through with a knife.

L'Antimatière by LesNez

This was the only one I got to try since the other two samples broke in transit. I sure hope they pack the samples people are actually paying for better!
    Anyway, this was the one I was most eager to try, but it was something of a disappointment. I shouldn't be surprised, after all it is described as a light anti-perfume. But I had expected something a little more edgy. The anti-perfume "L'air de rien" is still a brave and skanky musk, while this is just some pale, clean, light white musk. It smells like a dozen other much cheaper feminine not-really-musky, won't-offend-anyone musk scents.

maccus's avatar

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

A pleasant beginning and a surprisingly demure and elegant development which is mellow, velvet like, warm and comforting like a leather chair in an exclusive club that improves with age.

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

Wow, what a great scent. This is one of the colognes that got me started on cologne. It's bold, loud, sophisticated, and delicious. People who say it's dated are the same ones saying JHL is a classic (NOT dated) scent. I prefer to call this a classic, and everywhere I wear it, the verdict is the same "WOW, you smell soooo good! What is that cologne?" Guys might give you a weird eye for standing out so much, but you got to love it. It is a great citrus/Chyrpe, and I find it one of the main three colognes in my wardrobe.

JHL by Aramis

Got a decant of this off a a basenoter, and I have to say, WTF mates? This IS a classic... Grandmother's scent. It reminds me of a bead shop I used to go into, I had a lot of fun there, but that scent is just so... old. I try and try again, but the novelty of smelling like your favorite Great Aunt eludes me.

Metal Jeans Men by Versace

What a delicious scent! A classic in my book, this is a fruity scent that doesn't smell fruity. With all the watermelon and grapefruit, you would expect a Lacoste RED, but this scent is just classy and subtle. The problem with this frag is its longevity, and three hours will find you scentless. Definite try if you like Versace's other scents!

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

I am a real big fan of this scent, one of the few winners from Lacoste.

The defining notes of this have to be the Rum and the Juniper. Looking at the top notes would leave you to believe it is a fruity scent, but it isn't, and isn't boozy like other fragrances with alcoholic beverage notes (Unforgivable?). Overall, a great scent, VERY unique, and very wearable, but those with sensitive noses should be wary, it has great sillage, and is a very strong scent overall. Enjoy!

Brit for Men by Burberry

One of my favorite scents of all time, this will never fail to get compliments, lasts a good length of time, and just makes you feel good when you smell it.

gmscribner's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

A perfectly enchanting, subtle, complex summer fragrance. It comes as a welcome break from the current aquatic craze. I only wish it lasted longer on my skin, I get about thirty minutes out of it at a time. So sad.

lex's avatar

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

by is somethin different from the average scents. with a slightly animalic presence.by has a warm feeling to it at times and slightly powdery. it gets noticed and gets compliments , which is important to me when it comes to scents.

lex's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

thumbs up.this fresh scent is accompanied by vetiver to sexy it up. i remember when i first tried allure sport,didnt know what it was goin to smell like,i was at a place, this salesman which was king at his establishment he smells great and has all theladies attention. when i arrived he did smell nice but after awhile that allure sport opened up and i was like dammm ..he looked .the sillage was jumpin and turnin heads as i walked by. it was soo funny.anywayz,its nice. when i went to purchase a full bottle. it doesnt smell the same as the tester but its still a nice scent.

01st December, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2009)

acehimself's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Not really impressive in the least. Starts off as a really, really dry woodsy aroma. Then as it dries down I start to get some very green notes. One thing that it made me think of, which for me fits perfectly, is the smell of green pea pods. In the summer whne you can get the peas in the pod, that's what Rive Gauche smells like as it dries down.
    It isn't piss mixed with urinal cakes like Kouros which triggers my gag reflex, but to my nose it isn't the least bit pleasent.
    Anything YSL puts out seems to get labeled as simply amazing on here - I have no idea why.

's avatar

Vent Vert (new) by Pierre Balmain

This fragrance, allegedly worn by Brigitte Bardot, is way too sharp for me. If you're a lover of lily of the valley and jasmine, you will probably love it, but it is so intense it almost gives me a headache. A green not for the faint-hearted!

01st December, 2006 (Last Edited: 29 January, 2007)

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

A rich and classy warm citrus fragrance. I would have a hard time wearing this in a T-shirt - it just seems dressier and more formal - suit and tie all the way. I wore this on my wedding day. Sillage and longevity are both excellent, lasting 8+ hours on me.
    I wear this on dreary winter days sometimes for a burst of summer when it's snowing outside, otherwise I would say it's a good year-round frag - maybe too potent for the hottest months.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Yes it's fresh and clean, but even now that it's dated too many wear it. It has an almost marine quality that I like - an ocean breeze sort of thing - but it's the kind of ocean breeze that a soap, candle, or air freshener company would sell. It most closely resembles Wings by Giorgio Beverly Hills (to me) but Wings pulled it off much better. Cool Water is an OK scent for the office maybe, and is probably OK to wear year-round day or night, but there is just nothing outstanding. Combine this with the fact that you will always remind her of SOMEONE in her past who used to wear this, just because it was so popular, and I'd have to say thumbs down.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I had never smelled this until last month, and then I just HAD to have it. The citrus opening is very simple - almost lemon furniture polish - but the masculine and complex drydown is where it's at baby! This is my new favorite scent. Sillage is good and longevity is about 4-5+ hours. This is a real quality frag. I think it's more suited to evening wear or day/night in cooler months - probably too bold for the office. Does anyone on here ever wear this to work, or know someone who does?
    What are the reactions? I recently bought Burberry London Men and the two are similar, but the London seems more appropriate for the office. Comments?

Gendarme by Gendarme

I have used this during the warmer months for a few years now and have yet to go through a small bottle. It is a clean and light scent that is probably best worn for casual/office. You will not offend with this one and it's probably impossible to overapply. It does have a "soapy" note, but to me it evokes memories of the beach (and suntan lotion) There is definitely something a little coppertone-ish. I like it, but it's only a fave in summer. Longevity is short - about 3 hours on me, and sillage is nil.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This is a potent citrus/aquatic I have used for years, but have yet to put a dent in the bottle. A single spritz on the neck is all you need. I can smell this on my clothes for DAYS. Sillage is high and longevity is 12+ hours. I would say that this is definitely NOT for every day wear, although I think it would be appropriate in all 4 seasons. Lately I have found myself only craving to wear it on rainy days - weird. Many compare this to Aqua Di Gio. I think ADG is lighter and less complex - more suited to the office, but FAR too many people wear ADG.