Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Magie Noire by Lancôme

What is there to say about "Magie Noire" that han't been said already?
    It is definitely one of those one-of-the-kind perfumes, impossible to confuse with any other fragrance. (Which is no small feat!)

However, it can be very aggressive, especially after it had dried down. In my experience, the best way to avoid a harsh dry-down is to use a very very small amount - and not directly on the skin, if possible. A drop or two on the hair brush; or a tiny small cotton ball tucked in the brassiere - and that's it.

Clair de Jour by Lanvin

Fresh and sweet, very airy, with an "aquatic" whiff, rather unusual for the early 1980s.
    All in all... it's nothing much, I am afraid.
    And the EDT is extraordinarily short-lived.

Tendance by Marbert

This was an off-beat fragrance... Certainly idiosincratic and thereby unforgettable.

If I remember correctly, it was marketed as a "sexy" perfume - but sexy in the 1980s style, which meant feminine with a twist, with a strong edge (i.e. not a late 1990s-early 2000s chocolatey "sexy").

It was one of the first fragrances that introduced a very clearly stated FRUITY scent, with practically no discernible flower additions.
    I don't know what its actual ingredients were, but it reminded me of the harsh yet not unpleasant smell characteristic of fresh tangerine / orange peels.

In fact, I think its unabashed fruitness and spiceyness was probably too harsh, perhaps too "unisex", for most women at the time.

And yet, I can still remember its scent, even though I haven't smelled it in more than 15 years.

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

A totally unexpected charmer.
    I say "unexpected" because I would never have thought that a sweet and powdery perfume could be SO appealing - and so original. Amidst all the sweetness, reminiscent of some heavenly meadows in bloom, there's a a surprising split-second of poignancy - a citrusy whiff of almost-melancholy, of nostalgia.

Indeed, men notice it..;)
    But, more importantly, a woman always feels SO warmly feminine and appealing while wearing it, regardless of her age.
    (I started wearing it at age twenty-two!)

"L'Air du Temps" is definitely a keeper - one for the ages. An ever-young classic.

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

Oh, where can I get it - the original, I mean?
    "Charlie Blue" is simply NOT the same fragrance, no matter what the clerks tell you.

It was the first fragrance I wore in my life. I still remember the day, when I came back to school after the summer break, smelling of "Charlie"... Ah.

It's a wonderful, gorgeous scent: fresh, original, fun and dynamic in a VERY sexy way. (Ask men if you don't trust women's opinions. ;) And there was NOTHING, no other perfume in the world, that could compare to the effect of "Charlie" in the hottest days of summer.

It would have never gotten out of fashion, not really, so there's no need for the recent concoctions. The original "Charlie" was relatively inexpensive, but it was never "cheap". The new editions are just that: cheap.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Indeed, a thoroughly late 1970s-1980s fragrance (as a previous reviewer noticed).
    I found it way too harsh, and still do.
    I used to wear it in winter, because it felt too heady for summer. It didn't help.
    It always struck me as a "unisex" fragrance, and I simply don't like those.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Love it, love it, LOVE it.
    Which is strange because I never really went for "flowery" perfumes (with very few exceptions). But then, this perfume is like nothing else. For all its "floweriness" it is definitely original, one of the kind.

I used to wear it just before the first buds of spring appeared, and occasionally even in the heart of the winter. (Believe me, I always know what I am doing..:))
    Which created so unforgettable memories that I cannot use it anymore, lest I destroy those - and the emotional charge of "Paris" itself.

Words's avatar

Guess Man by Guess

A sweet apple note is what I get throughout this pleasing fragrance. No problem with it lasting, either. 2-3 sprays in the morning can last you well into the night. Pleasantly surprised by Guess Man.

05th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 12th February, 2013)

purplebird7's avatar

24, Faubourg by Hermès

This huge floral chypre registers as an Oriental, too. It smells convincingly like a vintage perfume. It is so richly complex, so old-fashioned and heady, that it hardly seems it could have been launched in 1995. Many of my favorite notes are here--hyacinth, orange blossom, gardenia, jasmine, patchouli, oakmoss, sandalwood, amber--but the sum is greater than its parts. 24, Faubourg produces a rich, floral fragrance that melds fruit and flowers together. The hyacinth is sweet, fresh blooming and springlike. The orange blossom smells of creamy orange and peach, neither citrusy nor candylike, but creamy and woody. This perfume smells like the "big" fragrances of the old days, unabashed and sensual. I tried it along with many other samples, and it stood above them, in a league of its own. Highly memorable, nostalgic, and evocative of wealth and taste. Underneath all the classiness lurks a huge growl of animal attraction, in the form of ambergris or dirty musk, which makes 24, Faubourg sexy and memorable.

05th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 11th May, 2013)

bonni's avatar

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

I'm not sure if I like this or not. It's a skillful blend, in my opinion, but it's a strange combination. The initial topnotes always remind me of amaretto, of all things, and then as it settles down, there's a distinct sweetness, but I'm always reminded of leather, as in, soft, new leather, like the inside of a new purse.

This fragrance is a bit exotic, a bit sweet, quite different, and although it's technically a floral, it has an oriental edge to it.

Overall, I'd say it's well-made and probably fabulous on the right person. I'm just not so sure I'm that person.

Interesting fragrance, in any event, well worth investigating.

moondeva's avatar

Chymara by Body Shop

Top: Mandarin, Pineapple, Berries
    Heart: Muguet, Rose, White Lilies
    Bottom: Woody, Cedarwood, Praline, Musky, Ambery
    This is a great scent for summer / all year round. Sadly on me it is rather forgettable. But I love heavy florals like Mahora, Fleurs D'Oranger, Carolina Herrera and heavy orientals like Tabu, Opium, and Lagerfeld KL, so if you prefer lighter florientals this may work for you. It's a pretty, feminine floriental but as I said, for me, quite forgettable.

provguy's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I love this fragrance. It has a soapy side to it with a mild peppery touch. Long lasting , I cannot agree that it is a feminine fragrance. Works well on my skin. One of my favorites. Use it almost daily, alternate most days with Green Irish Tweed.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Rive Gauche pour Homme Light by Yves Saint Laurent

Well, I'm against the grain here but I must say I DO like Rive Gauche Light! It's indeed light but not fleeting. It stays close to the skin and doesn't produce a lot of sillage, but It's long lasting.
    One thing I really like in it is that It's a versatile fragrance. Spray it heavier and you have a formal scent. Spray it as usual and you have a cosy casual scent with a touch of class...
    Smells a bit like some of those delicious shave foams and there's a note that reminds me of Fabergè Brut too. Simple and delightful, that's Rive Gauche Light.

Burberry for Women by Burberry

I love this fragrance and it's one I've repurchased and it's been a part of my wardrobe for several years. If I had the restraint to have a signature scent, Burberry would surely be a candidate...

It's warm, sexy, original, ambery, elegant, and overall, beautiful. Something in the top notes reminds me of peach tea (in a really good way!), and the drydown is as sensual as can be. It's like this was custom-made for my chemisty, and it gets compliments every time I wear it. I've even known people who have purchased it because they enjoyed it so much when I was wearing it!

Brit by Burberry

Wonderful! Enjoyable, fresh, and warm. I much prefer this in edt as the zesty lime notes are more apparent. The edp is much heavier on amber. This is a wear-anywhere, feel-good, uplifting fragrance that I look forward to wearing. Brit is perfect for any season and everyone seems to enjoy it on me.

Cabotine by Grès

Cabotine is perfect for my skin on hot summer days when I want to smell bright, cheerful, lovely, and classy. This is one of my favorite scents, and it's definitely my favorite "green" fragrance. It never fails to make me feel joyous. There have been lots of "happy" scents on the market since the emergence of Cabotine, but, in my opinion, not one has topped the beauty of this one.

Cabaret by Grès

Cabaret is a knock-out, sexy fragrance that comes across with the kind of beauty of someone like Catherine Zeta-Jones. It's refined, outstanding, and really appealing. It's a fragrance that might be born from combining Narciso Rodriguez For Her with L'Artisan Voleur de Roses...If you're looking for subtle and sweet - don't look here. But if you're looking for a dark rose, sexy chypre, don't miss this. The bottle is absolutely gorgeous, too.

Cabotine Bleu by Grès

On my skin this is so similar to Marc Jacobs Island that I don't have to buy Island! This is fresh, marine, watery, and clean. Great for cooling down on a hot, humid day.

Cabotine Rose by Grès

Cabotine Rose isn't "rose" flower. In this fragrance, the "rose" is the word for"pink" in French...Cabotine Rose is a bright, pretty cherry blossom fragrance that, to me, blows B&BW Cherry Blossom out of the water. This is a more complex blend in the quaintest little bottle...If you like cherry blossom and you happen to find this somewhere, do give it a try.

Romance by Ralph Lauren

I think Romance is absolutely beautiful. I wore it almost exclusively for a time a few years ago, and after I finished my 4th or 5th bottle, I didn't repurchase it. It seemed like I smelled it everywhere I went, so it wasn't as special.

Now that the buzz has dulled a bit, I've repurchased Romance and I love it with the passion it originally evoked in me upon its launch. It's elegant, romantic, rich and, best of all, unique. This is certainly one of my favorite fragrances, and it gets compliments from everyone, everywhere!

LeMâle's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

The absolute best woody fragrance there is, hands down. I love it.

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi

To me, Spezie comes off as an incense scent in the opening, that "stale" (I don't mean that in an entirely negative fashion) metallic harshness. Perhaps something like Cdg Zagorsk or Miller et Bertaux 2? Only with a hint of floral to make it more like a traditional warm/sweet/spicy/rich scent. I guess it's the dry and herbal notes that give the impression of incense. In the drydown it's softer and sweeter, more like some vintage spicy/chypre/floral. I can't pick out any notes except nonexistant ones - incense and neroli.

sshak13's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

First time i wore it, "wow u smell soooo goood" this is another good one for makin em wet..

Starts off with lots of Anise/Licorice smell, crisp sensation in the beginning. Then after about half n hour, transforms into a Rum,Vanilla,Tobacco drydown which lasts for ever. My all time favorite scent.

06th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th April, 2008)

sshak13's avatar

Brit for Men by Burberry

Probably the most classiest fragrance i've ever had. Love the wild roses. Better than london and touch.

Andre BH's avatar

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

I find this almost too simple, direct and uniteresting. Two scents: amber and lavender. Clean and elegant. But there is no mystery, no sensuality, nothing unexpected. It has a purtitanical, hygenic, soapy smell.

acehimself's avatar

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

This is definitely a well made and quality scent. It's so soft and and the vanilla, which is its most prominent note is very nice. However, what turns me off this scent personally is that I find it to be very feminine. It's so sweet and powdery that if I smelled this for the first time I'm convinced I'd expect it to be a woman's perfume. Certainly a quality scent, if you like powdery vanilla it's worth a try. If you want a scent that has an element to masculinity though, this isn't the one for you.

The Unicorn Spell by LesNez

This is an unusual fragrance. It opens with a frost of green bean, true, but that can be a good thing. Vegetal and herbal smells are close. The green bean thing fades fast on me, and I get a pleasant herbal. I don't get iris or violet, both of which don't do well on me. I find the drydown wonderful.

L'Antimatière by LesNez

Once I figured out that this was Anti-matter in French, it was easier to accept the fragrance, which is anti-fragrance. Sometimes we get an idea and overthink it. When we are done, we reach some perfect creative ideal. What we forgot to do was bring the people who are interested along with us. They are about two miles back, going "Where are we and why should I care?"

That's how I feel about this fragrance. I'm sure Les Nez worked years to eliminate a top note, mid note and for me at least, bottom note. I smell nothing. No clean laundry, no angora sweater, no faint musk. I smell Dove soap, which I showered with this morning.

I get it, Anti-matter. But I wear perfume to enjoy the top, the mid-, the bottom note. I like the first whiff out of the bottle, I like the change over the day, I like the drydown. I like the different smell on the clothes than on my wrist. So antimatter may be the perfect perfume for some, but top notes don't fool me, they delight me. And I want 'em. I want a mid-note too. And Antimatiere, while conceptually perfect, is a perfect shrug-off for me.

Let Me Play The Lion by LesNez

I'm going with those who think this is the best of the three. I love the dry, woody scent. Every now and then I get a whiff of balsa or wood under the woodburning tip. Spices, not too sweet. Lasts all day. But as much as I like it, I'm not sure it is full bottle worthy.

Endymion's avatar

Hungary Hungary

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

ok, this one reminds me of drakkar noir's dry down very-very-very much! for me, it's a little bit brutal, kinda demonic...