Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Alligator's avatar

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

A well balanced of variety notes... Lalique pour Homme was quite a surprise. Starts with rosemary, lavender and citrusy undertone, and dries very softly with vanilla, musk... and a bit creamy tone. Lalique pH smells old fashion... it is like some high-class old smells, but in a classy, worthy way. To me it is nearly niche fragrances, besides my four favourite: Creed, Lutens, L'Artisan and Diptyque, yet it's surpasses all other Lalique main line... Why? because it's my favorite to wear in office and especial wear, also in evenings. I think that many good fragrances have a lack of longevity, but at least on my skin longevity of this fragrance is amazingly good. Overall this one is a perfect scent, without having problems. It's truly unique and pleasant in especial situations. Lalique (Lion) perhaps is one of the best 90's and now I think it must be worn on a favorite overcoat or T-shirt! Great for all time.

Alligator's avatar

Rush for Men by Gucci

Gucci Rush is indeed a very nice scent. There is a fleeting resemblance to Azzaro Visit for 30 seconds and I don't think this smell has anything similar to Visit—it would be unjust to claim that two fragrances are similar... reminds me of Gucci pour Homme most of the time, yet I vastly prefer Gucci pH. Rush is thick in character with a smoky incense and rich woods. It has a lot of irresistible charisma, and completely unique fragrance which really does't reminds me anything else. It is the benchmark for Gucci fragrances. The cyber-shot bottle is comfortable to travel which is perfect for putting to pocket! Y2k symbol scents.

ruby3's avatar

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

This has a uniquely creamy floral smell that I just love. If I put my wrist right against my nose, it can seem too sweet or strong, but the sillage is beautiful, which is why people around me seem to like it.

Mikey Q's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

First of all, this is a VERY pleasant scent. Although it's a little pricey, it is long lasting and definitely classy. I do agree with the other comments with regard to Creed MI. This is a twin. My humble advice is that either one would be a solid addition to a cologne lover's wardrobe...but to own both would be redundant. Cheers!

Chantilly by Dana

A lovely sweet floral oriental with a beautifully powdery dry down. This is comfort fragrance at its nicest. For anyone who likes lily of the valley mixed with carnation and vanilla this is a winner.

Although most people would classify it as a romantic perfume, I personally find it is an excellent daywear perfume, in part because of its inexpensive price tag. I first bought this because I had just started working for myself and was too broke to buy something like Bal a Versailles or Shalimar. It has now been a standard in my fragrance wardrobe for over 10 years.

Pros - inexpensive, lovely fragrance, pretty bottle, excellent sillage.
    Cons - having to admit you bought it at the chemist.

Perfume snobs of the world revolt. Sneak into your local chemist and seek it out.

D&G Feminine by Dolce & Gabbana

This smells lovely on me. The top notes dry off quickly leaving me with middle notes of cyclamen and heliotrope layered over a beautifully soft musk. It has fairly good lasting qualities on me, but really isn't strong enough for anything but warm weather. If I could get this in eau de parfum it would probably work even better.

Definitely a lovely and very different floral that is anything but old fashioned in my opinion.

Lace by Fine Fragrances & Cosmetics

If you want an oriental but don't want to spend your money on something like Bal a Versailles or Shalimar you could do worse than test spray Lace.

Deep, sweet and woody with a powdery finish and excellent lasting qualities, this is inexpensive enough to use every day, particularly in cooler weather. it may be too old fashioned for some people, and blondes and younger women will find it smells "little old lady" on them, but for brunettes past the age of 30 this is a delight.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

This was love at first sniff. I have been wearing it on and off since I was 16 and 27 years later I still wear it regularly. I personally have never been able to smell the peach note in it.

This is an intimate perfume, to be worn when seeing friends or lovers, not aquaintances. Take it out to dinner but not to a big party. Wear it at home when you are the elegant hostess, or home alone when you want to be your own best friend. Wear it when you want to feel rich and refined, just don't wear it when you're feeling depressed. The vetiver and spices give it a wistful note that can evoke memories.

Bliss on the right woman, absolutely dreadful on everyone else. Some men can get away with wearing it.

Shalimar by Guerlain

A lovely oriental that is just a touch too soft on my skin. Although I have this in my fragrance wardrobe it is only because a friend keeps giving it to me and I don't have the heart to tell him that it isn't really a favourite.

Whilst on other people this is incredibly sexy, I just wear it to bed alone. The combination of vanilla and bergamot makes it a very soothing fragrance for anyone having difficulty getting to sleep.

Samsara by Guerlain

I wanted to love this perfume, I really did. Unfortunately it doesn't love me. This fragrance makes me physically ill. Unfortunately all tuberose perfumes give me dizzy spells and so alas this is one I will never be able to wear.

Luckily there are at least a dozen good orientals I can think of to take its place.

Joy by Jean Patou

Ahh, Joy. I was given a bottle of this when I was 20 and it smelt like cheap nasty soap. However body chemistry changes and in my mid 30's when my favourite green perfumes began to smell sour on me, I discovered that Joy now smelt truly joyous on me.

The rose and jasmine blend so well together that one never dominates, and the civet gives this such wonderful lasting qualities. Perfumes with an animalic note work well with my skin, without being overtly sexy. When I wear Joy, both men and women are friendlier towards me and even turn and stare in the street. In fact the first couple of times I wore it, so many people turned when I walked past that I kept checking to see if my fly was undone.

To those people who have wanted to love Joy because it is a classic, don't. The only reason to love a perfume is if it loves you back, and now that I'm older, Joy loves me, and I am happy that it does.

Jovan Musk by Jovan

A genuinely warm clean musk that can be worn anywhere anytime. Both men and women regularly ask me what I'm wearing when I have it on. I would agree with calchic about layering it. I occasionally layer it with Charlie Blue when I want something clean and floral but still sexy for evening.

Vivid by Liz Claiborne

Yum, Jardins de Bagatelle on steroids! If you want a big clean floral that isn't too sheer, powdery or soft then this is the perfume to get.

On my skin there are no top, middle and bottom notes. What you smell at the beginning is what you get at the end of the day, a clean, bright, sociable floral that loves barbeques, champagne lunches and parties. Although encarnacion thinks it is perfect for a romantic date, this is not intimate enough on me for romance. Instead it wants to socialise, chat, laugh, see and be seen. A fun floral with excellent sillage.

Although it's been discontinued there are enough bottles available on Ebay to satisfy my lust for now.

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

An underrated fragrance, probably because it is so inexpensive. This is a lovely greenish floral with a slight musk on the drydown. It seems to work well on most skins and is a wonderful daytime perfume. Although it doesn't have a great deal of staying power you can cheaply buy small purse sprays for reapplication during the day. I personally have found that it layers well with Jovan Musk for evening wear. The combination is sexy and long lasting. Another trick is to use a drop of white musk oil before applying Charlie to give it a little extra punch.

Another plus for Charlie is that you will never find yourself in a room surrounded by other people all wearing the same scent. It's been around too long to be flavour of the month but long enough to prove itself. Although I never approve of buying perfume for someone unless you know it smells good on them, Charlie is one perfume you could buy on spec and it would be appreciated by most people.

Libertine by Vivienne Westwood

A rebellious individual with little regard for convention or following fashion. This fragrance is a perfect compliment to the idiosyncratic but perfectly constructed Westwood clothes, and I for one am very miffed that it has been discontinued.

A perfect warm weather scent, particularly appropriate for wearing to parties, gallery openings or any event where you want to attract attention without appearing overtly sexy.

Seductive, but not obviously so. Think of really well made, well fitting clothes, paired with one off pieces of jewelry.

Avon Soft Musk by Avon

Well cedriceccentric I have to agree with you here. My main problem with this fragrance is that it has a very plastic note to it which never seems to disappear. It's a pity because it has excellent staying power and is really very pretty.

I am giving it a thumbs up because it works nicely on my skin in winter when the cooler weather seems to suppress the plastic notes and enhance the powdery woods in the base.

Anglomania by Vivienne Westwood

Sweet, spicy and oh so intense! A perfume so strong on me I have to limit it to cool weather only. Having said that the fragrance remains fairly close to the body and never blows other people away. A perfume that makes men want to lean in closer. Every man asks me what I'm wearing, and apart from Joy, this is the only fragrance men have ever asked about.

Excellent sillage, one spray lasts all day. Just be careful not to spray it directly on clothing. You may never wash it out.

Its formulation is smooth and the spicy top notes never disappear. Dry down is woody and rose sweet without being sickly. The violet notes never appear on my skin and the fragrance remains true to form from the moment I apply it until I wash it off. I can see why this has not taken the market by storm. It's far too individualistic for many younger people used to the plastic perfumes of Britney Spears and Paris Hilton. The green notes in it remind me of some of the great green perfumes such as Ivoire and Ma Griffe, not because they smell similar, but because it stands out from other fragrances of its era in the same way they do. May they never, ever, ever discontinue this gem.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

On me this smells like a mix of furniture polish and Jean Nate cologne. Quite possibly one of the worst things I've ever smelt. I can smell musk and lavender after the drydown, but the furniture polish smell never ever goes away.

Ojay's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Well, I just got my Rive Gauche.
    The initial scent after the first spray really turned me off. I really didn't like it.
    But after 5 minutes I loved it!
    The alcohol smell evaporated and it smells completely different.
    I have finally figured out the smell...shaving cream !!
    Has anyone ever hated the smell of shaving cream? No woman I know :)
    It's clean and soapy smelling on me. Reminds my friends of a shave and a haircut at a barbershop. I don't care if that's what YSL was going for but that's what they have with me and it's very pleasurable.
    Unfortunately, I will have to shelve this until the spring, I have better Winter-scents.

mochi227's avatar

Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop

I agree with the others: this is a fantastic layering scent. I'd wear this with amber, woody, musky scents; to add some sweetness to spices; to moisten the aridness of incense scents. Tea Rose on its own can work if handled responsibly: it is powerful stuff, but can come off as juvenile or silly if applied incorrectly or on the wrong person.

Sillage and longevity are second to none with this frag, but it doesn't really go anywhere because it's a single note. But on the plus side, it is sold everywhere for very cheap, lasts forever, and is a fine addition to a collection. As a layering scent, it's great. Never tried it for home use but can imagine it working well there too.

mochi227's avatar

Chemistry by Clinique

The first 15-20 minutes are all mellow sunny citrus (lemon with some key lime) clammoring for attention. I imagine a barrel of limes and lemons hopping around, cheering, happily poking and tickling one another. Once the settle down, a pure soapy note rises. This is pure white soap, like Ivory soap, but not as sharp. It doesn't make my nose tickle, but I want to smell it over and over again because it's so crisp, like fresh sheets hung to dry in a spring breeze.

The amber base peeks out and then stays just behind the scenes for the next several hours, and I smell white tea and some wood as well. The ginger is gentle, merging into white tea. A smooth cup of white tea enjoyed on a cedar deck, as lemon trees waft in the breeze: this is Chemistry to me.

I'm a woman and it's a man's scent, but these are the types of frags I like: subtle but present; not overly perfumy but almost skin-like in the way they adhere to a person. I bought this originally for my BF, thinking it might be too plain for him. I believe he would have liked it, but I'm glad I kept it for myself.

Tuscany per Donna by Estee Lauder

I love this perfume, too bad here in Belgium they don't sell it anymore (at least not were I live). I just like the way this smell stays 'open' at the end, like it's unfinished. I don't find it necessary that each perfume has to end with wood or amber and certainly not with vanilla. It's like you want to keep breathin' in deeper and deeper to reach the end of this smell... . It's a while ago since I've worn this, I think about 13 years... .

Eden by Cacharel

Yukes! Hate it hate it hate it. I want to run away from it as fast as I can.

Happy Diamonds by Chopard

I use to wear this when I was 15. This is af very soft, warm comfort scent. You could compare it the best with Donna Karan Cashmere mist, but then with less fruitnotes. I don't think it's still available though, too bad.

Happy Heart by Clinique

I like this one, fresh, floral, lovely and... happy! Although I thin Happy is more a summer scent, Happy heart fits also during wintertime.

White Jeans by Versace

Gives me an instant headache... .

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

I got a sample of this and I was pleasantly surprised by the smell, Flower is one of those smells I really hate. I don't know what it is that makes me hate it, but I had the same with Eden from Cacharel. There's something in those perfumes that really makes me feel sick and want to run as far away from it as I can. Hypnôse gives me a little bit of that feeling. And believe me, I can stand lots of smells... .
    I like Kenzoamour maybe because it's so serene. When you're with lots of people together and with little children, sometimes you just don't want to be noticed by your perfume. This gives me a calm, cousy feeling, ideal for a cold winter's day or evening.

Emporio Armani Remix She by Giorgio Armani

Just tried this from a sample and it's really great! A sparkling, vivid fragrance, perfect for a night in town... . One thing could be better for me (or maybe it's becaus of my skintone), but I wish the topnotes could stay a little longer (or the whole time) because they smell great!

desimishu's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

Well Antaeus was one of those fragrances which represented male power and sex drive, considering the era was cocaine,power and flaunting money. though i was a kid during the 80's, the era is quiete my favorite, the music, the movies and the life. I experienced this fragrance when I found it pushed back behind the many new fragrances my girlfriends father keeps in his collection. I sprayed it, and was taken back to how potent this stuff was and quite taken off guard actually. Regardless, being myself I sprayed my self lavishly and wanted to experience the drydown. WOW! Thank god I did...What a masculine and edgy drydown...Very woody and masculine with a tone of leather or slight tobacco...which just shouted SEX!!!! The development was amazing....after this experience, about few days later, for a descent price(Chanel $$)I received my own bottle. And my god does this one give me some great compliments, even amond the girls my age, in their twenties....I love

07 December, 2006

desimishu's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

well, let me begin by sayin I am officialy back on to this site, after a long time and after a few review...through the many months my nose has acquired various aromas of the vast amount of fragrances available. I found Azzaro in my local Marshall, and needed to buy without testing. The luxury behind this label is haunting in the sense and way which by uncle described it to be, in Bangladesh!! Could you beleive that? in the 70's this was the stuff to wear apparently..I had to give it a try...I must say it slaps you right off guard with a burst of citrus and powerfull anise, and develops into a musky woody base. Its so warm yet fresh. I have received several compliments, a few asked if i came straight from the barbershop? It does have a barbershop type aroma somewhat like a great luxurious shaving cream...Very masculine very yet fresh in a unique way...Great with jeans a tshirt and black leather jacket.....

07 December, 2006