Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

desimishu's avatar

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

I got Paco Pour Homme sent to me about 2
    months ago. I first smelled this magnificent aroma through a sample about 4 years ago when I was 16. The smell of this conjured a great image into my mind. An image of a crisp and cool breezy fall night, dark yet exiliratingly. This fragrance is a classic, and should be worshipped among any great fragrance expert with a good nose. It is not lacking great depth. Its aura is outstanding and develops greatly on the skin. It is very fougere and soapy, and I say that not to undermine its quality. It is strong and the opening is very reminescent to Kourous, but develops entirely differnt and unique in its own right.

desimishu's avatar

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

When I first got this fragrance...I was struck in awe..SO CRISP...almost breathtaking. The intitial smell of citrus and mint smells so good and develops amazingly. The drydown is to die for...warm woody yet maintaing the great crisp/fresh characters of the opening...I am however upset at the longetivity of this.. This one lasts about an hour, which is a shame, which means more sprays..

F_Frez's avatar

Bright Visit by Azzaro

Looking for something to use at summer, I found this fragrance yesterday at a department store near my house. As I liked the Azzaro Visit version, I gave it a try.

It's a fresher version of Visit, when tested on paper the first notes gave me a citric, oceanic sensation, plus a hint of spicy notes from the original Visit. As I test it almost at night, I couldn't feel then the base notes, and although it wasn't an intense fragrance on my skin, my wife liked it against the second fragrance I tested on my other arm.

Now, 24 hours later, I smelled again the paper... can't get woody or spicy notes, but as base notes I felt something like vetiver in a classic way, plus red berries and a bit of oceanic notes.

As a fresher version of Visit, its more appropriate for summer, warmer seasons, office and casual use. For range 20-45 years old.

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

The Baron de Charlus once composed an incantation for Mitsouko eau de toilette: "O mighty metamorphoses of variegated impressions, O subtle transmutations of delicate echoes in animalistic abysses, initial whispers of jacinth, tamarind and peaches retreating in smoke, O shifting shapes, ash on an old man's sleeve, the powdery, withered skin of the elderly Duchess, nefarious odours emanating from under the flaps of the crocodile's scales, the rich, overheated boudoir with the windows sealed shut, the Queen's laundry basket full of the smells of soiled and perfumed clothing, the haunted mansion on the hill lost in mist and time, disembodied voices of the dead recalling their memories of fleshly delights, the sweet, powdery smell of slow decay flitting over the pure and virginal skin of the young Princess, frail dawn cobwebs hanging in the sombre woods, somewhat nauseous waves of respectability, decadence, sex and death emanating from the pages of a Victorian novel.
    Poetic? To be sure. Philosophical? To be sure. Wearable? Hmmm ... In terms of wearability, its final phase seems to me the best - when Mitsouko takes on the aroma of a warm, kindly, subtle second skin, both natural and elegant."

Naed_Nitram's avatar

Baladin by Nicolaï

Imagine a sober, sombre Dickensian lawyer, dressed all in dark grey, with somewhat grim, determined features. Returning home, he enters the kitchen and consults with cook concerning this evening's menu. Moving into the drawing room, the smell of kitchen herbs now clings to his aura of musty, respectable grey. His wife and children greet him admiringly, somewhat in awe of his definite air of herbal gravity. Retiring to the bathroom, he washes himself with a refined lemon soap (the trace of citrus, unusually, entering towards the end rather than the beginning of the fragrance).
    What should we call this complex gentleman? Is it Mr. Ebenezer Gilkes? No, it's Mr. Matthias Baladin.

Ombre Rose L'Original by Jean-Charles Brosseau

This used to be very, very pricey. When I finally got a bottle in the 80's I used it sparingly and felt that I smelled "expensive." Ombre Rose is a beautiful rose perfume that evokes powdery aldehydic classics, but its floral and fruity notes are very rich. On me, Ombre Rose is strikingly similar to Mariella Burani Mariella Burani, and it smells exactly like the original Lutèce by Houbigant. (The reformulated Lutèce is a disaster).

Ombre Rose's Art-Deco bottle is absolutely beautiful. This fragrance provides an elegant sniff of nostalgia for me.

Red Roses by Jo Malone

I love roses. I grow roses and I'm utterly mad about them. These days I have 40 rose bushes, and I can't get enough of their fragrances.

Jo Malone Red Roses smells strikingly like my rich, red Mr. Lincoln bush. Mr. Lincoln is the classic, deep red "florist" rose that smells gorgeous for weeks. JM truly captured the cool, sharp, dewy fragrance of the real thing. Indoors, I've had people expect actually to see a bouquet of roses in a vase somewhere after getting a whiff of my fragrance! And outdoors, people have assumed they were smelling my garden, not my perfume.

If you love rose, it doesn't get much better than that!

Eau des 4 Reines by L'Occitane

Eau des 4 Reines sounds so regal and formal that I expected this to be a sort of new Nahema. Not so! This is a bright, fresh rose with fruity undertones. This is unmistakably a rose perfume, but the tea, mandarin, and blackberry in the blend provide a take on rose that I've seen before only in the great Rosines. I honestly prefer Eau des 4 Reines to Roseberry!

I have the edt and the lasting power is shameful. I can smell it for all of a minute, and then it completely disappears. I look forward to trying this in edp, because it's such a beautiful fragrance. If the edp doesn't last, I'll surely buy the bath products so that I can layer for better lasting power...

Even though this scent is fresh and lively, I like to wear it at night, and to spray my bedsheets with it. It's a lazy romantic kind of fragrance that smells warm and sweet.

ubuandibeme's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Mitsouko dipped in sugar...I couldn't enjoy L'Heure Bleue's over the top sweetness. On my skin, it never calmed. Intensely sweet.

zenpiper's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

One of Creed's best for formal wear and important meetings during cool weather. Its very powerful, classy, refined and solid as a rock. This is about as good as it gets. Scent-wise, it's the equivalent of having a loaded revolver in your desk; reserved for special occasions.

genvy5's avatar

Very Sexy for Him by Victoria's Secret

I don't really get it. At first I thought it was cool, but didn't really wear it for me as much as for the ladies. However, I find that its subtlety and undeniable sexiness is splendid. I just.. I dunno, it's a little fruity on the top, and yet pretty warm and almost musky. It's kinda weird. But the person below me is right. It's a nice and sexy comfort scent. I'm definitely glad that the cinnamon bark is in there. When I don't feel like wearing something with such extreme sillage, I go for this. I have no reason to like it for myself, but for some reason, I do. Funny thing is, my friend's girlfriend's father wears this stuff. And we're 19. Hah.

Adidas Team / Team Force by Adidas

A very nice fragrance which reminds me of the 8th grade. It lasts very long and worths the price.It is also suitable as a sports cologne and also as an evening cologne for teenagers.

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Too greeny for my taste, and too casual. This one is very suitable when going out for a picnic, in nature or whenever you would like to refresh.It is a fine fragrance, but its way too simple for evening wear or special occasions.

cK be by Calvin Klein

Very nice, fresh and also sensually sweet. Sweeter and deeper than One, this one is more serious and less flirtaceous.Anyway, girls love it on men. This one is absolutely not for women.

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

Far better than the EDT. I really like it but still I prefer other fragrances to use,as it is to classy for my age.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

This one is both simple and exceptional. Ultra sillage: i used 3 clicks and a person from the 1st floor,when I went out asked me what was I wearing. It was nice but also embarrasing for me.If u use this, a single click is simply enough.It develops extraordinary, and it is best used when in bed with your girlfriend/fiance/wife/lover. I find it as a perfect unisex scent, even though this one is more for men than women.So men, don't be afraid of this one.

cK one Scene by Calvin Klein

Very nice intense version of One. I really love it.Too bat I can't find it in my country. As I love sweets in general, this Vanilla Fruit Sallad is delicious.

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

An extraordinary reinterpretation of the classic and much better than it. It is for a younger market, it smells fruitier and with no sharp notes. It has some notes from the feminine version of the original, but this is great.It lasts very much, it suggests me a walk on the beach, sun and fun, water sports. It symbolizes youth and the most essential and simple pleasures of this world in a modern twist!

Boss Selection by Hugo Boss

More interesting than any other Hugo BOSS/Baldessarini cologne. It is fruity/citrusy/aquatic,but with no sharp notes and it has also a sweet subtle sugar tint. Anyway this is not for me as on the drydown i perceive some smoky notes.

cK one Electric by Calvin Klein

A wow subtle sensual skin fragrance for everyone. Use it as much as u want, flirt with it, have sex, it is surely the right choice everywhere. It lasts ok,it could last longer, but as a casual fragrance it is more than I expected. The One and Be Ranges are probably the only ones that captured my interest from CK. The other ones are pure crap.

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

In general florals are not for me, but as probably Gaultier wants to illustrate that men are also sensitive and sexy, why not giving it a try?It should be more delicate than the original anyway but hopefully with no lily of the valley, rose or citrusy notes.

Lynn Faust's avatar

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

i don't think i have washed anything off so quickly before. the positive noteis that it has good staying power... i can't get the scent off my wrist. the negative is theat imo it smells like old burned plastic.

Odorifera's avatar

Cozé 02 by Parfumerie Generale

This is like a watered down Piper Nigrum on my skin. I get mostly pepper and something a little sweet underneath. None of the other notes surface. Lasting power
    also seems poor given what seems from the description to be an intense pyramid of essences.

Odorifera's avatar

Eau de Cacao by Coppeneur

This is true chocolate with out being sickeningly sweet or artificial smelling.
    Like sniffing a steaming mug of hot chocolate on a cold winter's night. Would be great for evenings out, curling up with someone special, or during the holidays.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

At first i really liked this fragrance, but after awhile it just becomes really annoying. It literally clings on to you, you will still smell it on your clothes a few days later. At first it was a pleasant surprise, but you get so sick of the fragrance easily, after awhile you just won't be able to stand it.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

This is a nice scent. It is very sweet and casual, but yet sophisticated. I love the vanilla. However, it doesn't stay on me very long.

Crave by Calvin Klein

Like most CK perfumes, it doesn't really last long. The bottle feels and is, extreemely cheap and completely plastic. It is only good for travelling. The fragrance itself is very synthetic, fresh and modern, but to me, not at all sexy. It's no surprise it has been discontinued.

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

This is a unique fragrance you will probably love or hate. I love it. It has a wonderful rich smoky smell, like inscense. It is nostalgic and romantic- you have to try it.

Sentiment for Men by Escada

I love this perfume! It smells so wonderful and fruity, and lasts for a reasonably long time. all my girl friends love it, and think its incredibly fruity. They love smelling it. I highly recommend this perfume. (in my opinion, its better for younger people..)

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Escada should have called this Magnetic Sour Juice Liquor, because, well, thats what it smells like. I can imagine it perfectly on a drunk man with a hairy chest. Escada Sentiment is much better.