Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Heidi's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Bought this a couple of years ago, since I liked it on a paper in the store. Forgot why by the thime my husband used it the first time. Smells rancid, like old perfume, no sport at all... .

Heidi's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Miracle So Magic! by Lancôme

I first smelled this on a friend from work and I thought she worde Happy! Seems it was Miracle so magic, so I bought a bottle of it and used it frequently during summer. A while ago I smelled it on someone else and it really was kinda disturbing, the vanilla on the end was way too much on her... and I don't like vanilla in perfume. As with most of the scents I obtain, I'm tired of it after using it a while (exept Cristalle) and I havened noticed anything on So magic that makes me ant to buy this again.

tens4kps's avatar

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I have used this product for years and have gotten very used to the scent. Now the scent is completely different and terrible since Proctor & Gamble has taken over from Shulton. Why did they have to cahange it? There as nothing wrong with the scent. We (reliable customers) REALLY need the scent to be
    changed back to the way it was. Thanks ....

Disgruntled Customer.

Buffalo_Gals's avatar

Dark Rose by Czech & Speake

If you love Oud scents & love rose fragrances, Czech & Speake's Dark Rose is for you. Think Montale Aoud Roses Petals but a tad lighter & softer with a berry accord added ~ sort of a jammy note blended so beautifully with the soft oud & rose. This is a nice alternative to the montales if you find them too heavy & thick. Dark Rose stays a bit closer to the skin & is less oily than the Montales. I love both C&S dark Rose & the montale rose ouds. I find ouds to be an acquired taste. I hated Black Rose the first time i tried it, but then again I hated good red wine when I was younger too......but ouds have won a permanent place in my heart & now dark rose has a comfy corner as well.
    I will never be without ouds in my wardrobe especially the rose oud blends.
    5 stars in my book!!!

1872 for Men by Clive Christian

One of the mysteries of the fragrance business is how a perfumer can take the same elements others use and achieve startling results that differentiate his product from those of others. There is nothing here that others haven't used or are not now using to make mens' fragrances that seem a lot alike, and yet 1872 distinguishes itself by clearly communicating a sense of luxury and calm that is almost hard to imagine from these humble elements. Bottom line: this is an incredibly sophisticated, masculinely beautiful and subtle fragrance that exudes style and well-being.

Clive Christian is an interior designer who makes incredibly expensive high quality kitchens, among other things, and this fragrance epitomizes his view of the world as it should be. He must be an incredible perfectionist. I am not sure I would want to know him.

Tilleul by D'Orsay

At first, I have to tell you, I was a little stunned by Tilleul. This stuff smelled like lightly sweetened hay, maybe hay and honey, and it was heavenly, absolutely heavenly! While it lasted I was obsessed with it. Ultimately, however, I concluded that IMHO this is a lady's perfume, a young lady's perfume (or maybe a young man's, say someone in his late teens early 20s). Anyway, I picture the ideal user of Tilleul as a natural blonde, who is not pretentious or affected; someone who is fairly natural without making natural-ness into a political or "life-style" statement. A person who eschews most florals as too obvious and ubiquitous. When I think of Tilleul I think of Grace Kelly but not as a princess or an actress; or maybe Diane Lane. What a fantastic fragrance this is!

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

This is a tremens fragrance that makes me want to orare en lingua latina. This is vere Ecclesiam Romanum fragrance, right out of the Liber Usualis. Credo that in fact it was inspired not just by Liturgia, sed The Tridentine liturgy! One must make distinctiones recti in that the current Missae does not often employ holy smoke reaching for the rafters the way the Old Mass did. So, while I love Elf's description of this as "The Liturgy in a bottle," for its veritas et scimplitas, I would amend it ad dixit that this is The Tridentine Liturgy in a bottle. Gaudeamus igitur!

Joe

Wild Lavender / Inglese by Lorenzo Villoresi

Wild Lavender/Inglese is a wonderful fragrance. It is very clean and not sweet but rather is like a very natural breath of fresh air. But this beautiful fresh air has the scent of wild lavender! Lucky us! I guess I prefer the name Inglese, but I will take Wild Lavender. Chandler Burr says that lavender is his least favorite scent because it is a cliche, well if this is a cliche, it is also true to what it is-- a cliche, like the Italian countryside; beautiful vistas and peaceful surroundings. This marvelous fragrance will put a smile on your face. If you are a fan of lavender without sugary additives, rush out for this LV gem. Pity it doesn't last longer, but don't get me started....

Joe

steveharrisonmc's avatar

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Wow...

When I first tested this I liked it. Now that I own it I absolutely love it. Being that is' from Lutens, it had great staying power. However it is an oriental gourmand. It is so unique yet so utterly delicious. I only wish that it had strong sillage because others should be able to enjoy smelling this absolutely wonderful scent. Perfect for a night out or a dinner date.

tigrushka's avatar

Finland Finland

Pink Sugar by Aquolina

Pink Sugar is a very silly little fragrance, an instant trip to Candyland. But the sweet sugar candy top transforms into a surprisingly "traditional" Oriental base.

One of the rare fragrances that both has and also requires a sense of humour from the person who wears it (Dinner by Bobo is another example).

Great value for money is a bonus!

Notes:
    top: bergamot, orange, raspberry, fig leaves
    heart: liquorice flower, lily of the valley, cotton candy, red fruit, strawberry
    base: vanilla, candy, musk, tonka bean, sandalwood

Tovah's avatar

Caline by Grès

Caline is a seriously underrated fragrance. I'm not sure if it was ever officially released in the US, and that's a shame. It can be hunted down on various discount websites, but it's not easy to find. In France, it has its own website, www.jesuiscaline.fr. Caline is a fruity-floral, which is my least favorite fragrance category, but I really like Caline. It's got a depth to it that reminds me of Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune. It doesn't smell a thing like Pamplelune, however, it's got the same sort of happy, grapefruity top, with a deeper, vanilla base that really appeals to me. Caline is a very, very pretty fragrance that's perfect for daywear: light, pretty, and classy.

Tovah's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I haven't found a fragrance so alluring since the appearance of Poison in the 1980s. Before that it was Opium. For me the predecessors of that je ne sais quoi, are the likes of Chanel Bois des Iles, Fracas, FM Musc Ravageur...those fragrances that turned the olfactory world upside down. Black Orchid does not smell like any of these, it's that it's so different, so unusual, and so exotic. Black Orchid is daring, darkly sensual, and completely intoxicating. Don't even try this unless you're prepared to be bewitched into buying it!

Brooksfield Men by Brooksfield

A nice but rather generic aromatic fougere with a pronounced cardamom note. Inferior IMO to Brooksfield's much more lively B. Green.

Limes by Floris

A rather un-limey take on the lime theme, this one could easily pass for a Contitental niche scent. A brisk but faint lime in the opening is all too quickly replaced by a Comme des Garcons-ish thin and dry base. If you are looking for limes proper or for something clean, fresh, manly and British, look elsewhere.

Lux by Mona di Orio

Lemon candy progressing into a stuffy boudoir.

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

A recycled Bulgari PH, without the *clean and classy* part of the original and with an extra dash of spice. Merely a passable mid-market scent.

Ichnusa by Profumum

I'm no horticulturist, so I'm not sure about what plant exactly Ichnusa reminds me of, but it's a very truthful and exceptionally vivid rendition of it. Honeysuckle? Elder? Profvmvm list myrtle & fig tree, but there weren't any where I was born. Anyway, Inchusa transported me 30 years back to those shrubs in the park by the bay where I would hide from the tagger. Kudos for a glimpse of temps perdu, but smelling like a blooming shrub is not exactly my notion of an interesting and wearable men's scent. Too sweet, flowery and feminine.

Must de Cartier by Cartier

I thought this was well made and a good scent if you like a heavier wood. It was a little too heavy for me. I didn't feel like it was very feminine and could not smell the vanilla for the Vetiver.

Pi by Givenchy

I got this for my husband and now I can't stay out of it, so even though I usually don't wear men's colognes, this one, I think could be unisex. The vanilla is heavenly. I haven't talked to a woman yet of any age who has not loved this on a man. A spicy oriental. Very new smelling, not the typical citrus burst.

Today by Avon

This one reminded me of Britney Spears Curious in a way, just all white flowers and boring, but one of Avon's better one's. Terrific for the price. I could see a lot of people liking it,it is just not my type.

Tomorrow by Avon

I thought Tomorrow and the other two to the trio were better than others that Avon has put out, but it was way too sweet, flowery & powdery for me and I love sweet. I guess I was disappointed because it was supposed to be an oriental and all I could smell was sweet powder.

Always by Avon

I thought this was the best of the trio, very good for the price, but nothing really special. An ordinary fruity floral. I could see some people really loving this but it was just not my type.

Tomorrow for Him by Avon

I got this for my husband and it became the second one of his that I get into. It smells like Lolita Lempika to me for a whole lot less money. I have never been able to find an Avon frag that I liked until this one. This is one, I think, could be a unisex fragrance. We both love it.

Extraordinary by Avon

Probably the best female Avon I have smelled, but on me it lasted about five minutes. I think it would be very good on someone's skin that could hold it. I mostly smelled the grapefruit and chocolate.

Délices de Cartier by Cartier

I would have loved this if it had been stronger. I kept spraying more on, but couldn't hardly smell it. I went from Must being too strong to this one being too faint.

Odorifera's avatar

Cuir Venenum 03 by Parfumerie Generale

Not as strong a leather note in this for me as I would like. The composition is overpowered by notes that remain fruity-floral and cherry candy in the drydown.

I'll stick with Daim Blond and on to Chanel Cuir de Russie

thisbekevinn's avatar

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

No, I hate this one.

It's oh so weak and I can barly smell it, it doesn't last at all and I just hate it so much. If your looking for a celeb fragrance please try Paris Hilton.

Hoody's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I bought this at Barney's in Manhattan a little over a year ago on a whim and I am so glad that I did. Some call this "sex in a bottle" but I feel it's sensuality in a bottle...a great lover, not a tawdry trick. Although not for everyone (what fragrance is?) I feel it absolutely matches someone with a kind of self-awareness and confidence that exudes attraction.

Hoody's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I wore London a couple of nights ago for our company's annual Christmas party and it was nearly perfect for the event. We're an independent coffee roaster/bar with fewer than fifty employees. The way it flirted with other scents (candles, glasses of scotch, laughing people in party attire, baristas fresh from a day's work) evoked the holiday in a way that no other fragrance has for me before.

mochi227's avatar

Diesel Green Feminine by Diesel

I'm not entirely surprised this frag was discontinued. There are far better green scents out there. It also doesn't surprise that the flask looks like a weed killer gun: the juice inside just might do that. Ok it's not bad but I grew tired of this one quickly. The frag evaporated fast, and wasn't that interesting.

The top note of bamboo and green tea devolved into a slightly-sour and basically uninteresting white floral blend with something a little musty (lavender?) around the edges. Calyx, which must have inspired this scent, is far superior for this style.