Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

mochi227's avatar

Diesel Green Feminine by Diesel

I'm not entirely surprised this frag was discontinued. There are far better green scents out there. It also doesn't surprise that the flask looks like a weed killer gun: the juice inside just might do that. Ok it's not bad but I grew tired of this one quickly. The frag evaporated fast, and wasn't that interesting.

The top note of bamboo and green tea devolved into a slightly-sour and basically uninteresting white floral blend with something a little musty (lavender?) around the edges. Calyx, which must have inspired this scent, is far superior for this style.

mochi227's avatar

Néblina by Yves Rocher

It seems YR is re-releasing or re-marketing this fragrance. Its nearly lime green color makes one think of an green scent, but the florals in this one are very strong. I would have preferred a bit more roundedness in this scent, as it is quite overwhelmingly floral, and very angular at that. There is little subtlety to this one.

Neblina is suprisingly heavy upon first application, almost overwhelmingly so (getting slapped in the face by a bunch of stargazer lillies). The top notes disappeared almost instantly and I was left with orchid stuck to my nasal passages. The only reason I purchased this fragrance is because I received a tester and liked the drydown.

It settles down nicely and has a warm woody thing with a hint of the flowers from the beginning. Due to the dominance and loudness of the floral notes, Neblina (which means "fog" in Spanish) smells a bit like rolling around in a pile of wood chips and slightly rotten orchids on the damp floor of a rainforest. But imagine how you might smell two hours after rolling around in said pile: probably not too bad, and certainly rather interesting.

I doubt I would by this again, but for the price, it was a fine one-time purchase.

cgg's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

Antaeus smells like Norah Jones looks.

Stockholm's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

I love to match different fragrances against oneanother...and this time I chose Michael and Gucci PH, just because of the ressembling bottles and also due to the type of scents they are...and both came in my possession the same day. Both incredibly manly, with a distinctive signature. Michael however, after sniffing some, a slightly unpleasant smell of wet wool occurs or damp socks, mixed with its accompanying top notes. After some time the wet wool smell vaporates and a truly warm and sensual scent is left on the skin. In comparison with Gucci PH's top notes makes you smell like a very manly Christmas ginger cake... In complexity I find them to be on equal levels and I thought that I would find GPH to be more elegant in the end...but my money goes to Michael for its subtle undertones and its longlasting basenotes...

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

Whenever I smell this I wonder what sin did this woman perpetrate to cause her to atone by wearing floral cleansing fluid?

Lady Macbeth, are you fresh and energized yet?

09 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2009)

dr.creed's avatar

Austria Austria

Hugh Parsons (Yellow) by Hugh Parsons

Well, I don't think this is similar to GIT at all. This reminds me of Acqua di Parma - Colonia so much I can't tell the difference.

Eau de Patou (original) by Jean Patou

Eau de Patou (for Women) is an incredible fragrance. It opens with a light and delicate citrus with the elegant addition of petitgrain. It has a wonderfully refined and restrained floral middle—sophisticated and transparent. Add to this the classic, discreet base of moss and amber, which exhibits its close relationship to the two classic masculine Patou’s, and what it results in is one of the best designer fragrances I have ever encountered. I certainly can’t improve on calchic’s description of the scent and I agree with Griff that this wonderfully elegant fragrance is wearable by men: There are a few minutes when the middle notes seem to move a bit to the distaff side, but that is no threat against masculinity. The top and the dry down are wonderfully unisex. Excellent sillage and longevity. Eau de Patou is a peerless classic creation. (Edit of 09 December 2006 review.)

09 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 23 October, 2009)

Armand Basi Homme by Armand Basi

The opening is a beautiful accord of spice, lavender, and aromatics. This opening lets it be known that this is not your usual modern designer affair, Armand Basi Homme opens uniquely and substantially: a good way to begin … now, if only the middle notes were a good way to proceed! The spicy / floral mid notes seem to go synthetic. Not as bad as I’ve seen in many other fragrances, but certainly a bit annoying. It’s an unnecessary weakness, because it doesn’t even seem to fit with the rest of the fragrance. The base is very nice. Cedar, gayac, and sandalwood provide a smooth, satisfying, but short-lived base: sometimes I get an almost incense-like feeling from the base and other times it seems almost oud-like. All told, Armand Basi Homme is a nice fragrance, unique and pleasant, but with marginal longevity.

09 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 10th March, 2008)

Baïmé by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Basil—my favorite herb, bottled. And what a pleasure that it turned out to be so good. A light refreshing scent that is not watery or airy or citrusy but is remarkably fresh and clean and exotic. I can’t keep from sniffing and enjoying this—I think it’s the brilliant subdued use of lavender that makes it so addictive, but the restrained ingenious use of anise and thyme also contributes to this wonderfully refined and constructed beauty. Aromatic, herbal, creative, and chic-complete with fantastic aromas. Subtlety and uniqueness personified, Baïme is unlike any other fragrance I’ve tried, and it’s a winner.

Grain de Plaisir by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A really enjoyable citrus opening of lemon and mint. After the refreshing opening the scent turns quite aromatic—specifically with a dominant celery note. Celery usually behaves pretty well on my skin, so I don’t mind this celery note at all. In fact I think it is rather aromatically pleasant—the coniferous note that goes along with it helps make it more palatable. These heart notes are clear and clean at first, but then they kind of dull down as they lose the lemon and mint of the opening. The base notes become even duller and weaker—I nearly lose the scent completely on the dry down. Grain de Plaisir is actually a bit better than I’ve just made it out to be. I like it, but I don’t love it, and at this price I’d have to love it to buy it.

Vétiver by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Now THIS is an excellent vetiver fragrance—a rich and earthy vetiver stripped naked then given a gossamer covering of a sheer patchouli. This is vetiver as nature made it...who needs citrus to make those wonderful earthy notes palatable? Vetiver can get along very well without it. A few herbs and a little package of conifer for mirroring and supporting the aromatic capabilities of vetiver, and we’re all set. Who needs refinement? Those aromatic notes are natural, earthy, full-bodied and properly complementary. And there’s very little that can compete with the rich raw notes of Bourbon vetiver for just plain guttural sensuality. This one feeds the lower chakras.

New York by Nicolaï

I love this opening. This is a citrus opening that never loses its grasp on sophistication and substance. I don’t recall another citrus opening as rich, refined, and mature as this one. The accord is very strong in spices, but the spices are combined so well with the citruses that together they seem to be presenting a totally new olfactory group. Impressive! The powdery amber of the next accord is about as attractive an amber as any I’ve tried ‘til now; and it so totally flows from the initial citrus accord. The amber seems to lose its powdery character when it combines with the vetiver in the dry down. The dry down is superb—velvety, elegant, proportioned, captivating. It’s fantastic, in my opinion, that an EDT so classic in construction and quality can be so contemporary and alive. What a magnificent fragrance. This is a must buy.

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

The surprising opening smells pink / purple to me: It’s syrupy sweet and surrealistically rosy. I’m more shocked than impressed because I really don’t know what to make of it. Then there’s an acidic sharpness that comes immediately after spraying. It’s green and quite a bit harsh, but I’m not complaining, because I like it better than I like the uberpinkpurple rose note. I get rose, but to my nose it’s quite a cheap, fake rose note – pink… errr… purple – actually one of the most undesirable rose notes I’ve smelled in fragrances – bubble-gummy sweet. This rose note is tenacious and domineering and selfish – it won’t allow me to smell the other notes in the accord. I even lose that sharp green of the opening. My nose is not interpreting the notes of this fragrance very well, I’m afraid. I usually get along with Diptyque fragrances excellently, but this one I have to vote a thumb’s down. (Edit of 09 December 2006 review.)

09 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

Ambra by Etro

There is a rather strange sour note in the opening that combines with the otherwise pleasant citrus/ coriander / patchouli. This note runs through the entire progression of the fragrance. It ruins the scent for me, not that the remainder of the scent is anything special. This sour note is not exactly revolting or anything like that, it is discordant—out of place. Besides this disagreeable note, the basic fragrance is rather ordinary. Etro Ambra has good longevity.

Nautica Competition (new) by Nautica

Nautica Competition is another one of the myriad synthetic bergamot / green scents that have overwhelmed the ranks of new offerings ever since Eternity. It is fresh but its freshness is not only ordinary, it is very synthetic—synthetic to the extreme—almost as synthetic as Eternity. The accords are pleasant enough and last acceptably long. I could see this as a wearable fragrance for a young person who doesn’t mind the synthetic tang to it.

Myrrhe & Merveilles by Keiko Mecheri

Such a fine, translucent fragrance. Myrrhe & Merveilles is a complex floral / myrrh / musk fragrance that, like many of the other Keiko Mecheri scents, is notable for its balance, refinement, delicacy, and elegance. The myrrh in this fragrance is presented quite discreetly and combined so beautifully with the other accords—it serves as a satiny sheer base for the wonderfully diaphanous citrus / almond / jasmine / musk accords. The citrus opening is sensitive and sparkling and refreshing—I would suspect aldehydes, but the sparkle lasts almost too long for it to be caused by aldehydes. The almond is so very clean, clear, and enticing. All the accords are exquisitely combined and excellently progressed, stay close to the skin, and have superior longevity. Several in the Keiko Mecheri line are marvelous and remarkable—these scents should be better known.

Eau de New York by Bond No. 9

Eau de New York is very nice scent — it has quality accords and is excellently structured as are all Bond No. 9 fragrances. The very well done grapefruit / citrus / Petitgrain opening is clean and bright and quite long lasting. The citrus top stretches itself by including in the middle notes some clean and bright neroli and verbena, which are, in turn, supported by a very clear, non-heady white floral accord. The base is an excellent lightwoods / oakmoss creation which is artfully proportioned to the top levels of the fragrance. There’s no doubt that what EdNY offers is quality in an attractive smelling fragrance. But this fragrance is not very much different from many other very good citrus scents – and those others sell at a small percentage of what EdNY costs. This is a fragrance which carries a premium price, but there’s nothing superbly superior here, nothing innovative or incredibly unique. But it’s a very nice scent ...

09 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 April, 2008)

Musc Alizé by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Selective anosmia is what they call it – the inability to smell certain aromas. Well with Musc Alize my anosmia is almost “universal.” I don’t really get much of anything out of any of the notes but my main problem is with the white musk. For the opening I get some very light white florals — but the florals are not clear enough that I can identify even the jasmine that is supposed to be there. When I can’t identify jasmine, there is a problem, because it’s one of my favorite notes. There is nothing really catching in this opening or in the middle floral notes that follow all too quickly. I wouldn’t think it possible, but the middle florals are even fainter than the opening “jasmine.” In the base, the fragrance settles down to … amber. The pyramid says there is supposed to be white musk, amber, and vanilla in the base, but all I smell is amber (a nice amber it is, though!). It’s the white musk that my nose really has most of the problem with – I can’t even suspect that it is there. As subtle as Musc Alize is, I do feel that the fragrance quite unisex. Its mild florals, white musk, and amber send forth minimal sillage. It’s a nicely put together scent — nice balance and very good, if too speedy, progression of notes — but it’s performance on my skin is way too subtle for my appreciation.

09 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 14 March, 2008)

Spezie de Medici by I Profumi di Firenze

Over-the-top spices and orange in the opening—actually I really enjoy it, but it’s not exactly something to be worn out in public—it’s better to wait a while after application before going out. Fortunately, this aggressive spice attack lasts only a few minutes and then settles down to a quite excellent orange spice accord that’s a bit aromatic (probably the cloves). Spezie de Medici, once it settles down is quite simple and unchanging, but this is not a criticism because its simplicity provides a very endearing, close to the skin spice experience, which would be even nicer if it lasted longer. This is a full, rich, lower register spice accord lovingly supporting a clean and pure orange note, and it’s quite lovely.

Aromatic Lime by Montale

Aromatic Lime opens with a very bright and lively lime accord—the lime really dominates over the cedar. This one is clean and clear, loaded with aromatics, and holds for a period that doesn’t seem really long enough. The opening demonstrates a very nice use of citrus, but no better than any of six or eight other citrus fragrances I’ve experienced—both designer and niche. The strong aromatics of the herbs that took place in the opening, reduces to a more solid use of the green notes such as grass and leaves. This middle section is also very nice, but nothing extraordinary. The wood dry down is very much of a letdown. It is quite weak—it has almost no sillage, and it doesn’t last. As is my usual rubric for expensive fragrances, my thumb’s down is for the fragrance’s failure to deliver on high expectations caused by the higher price. Fragrance-wise, Aromatic Lime is a very good scent—I would consider buying this at $50 a bottle-It would take a lot of thinking through. For $175, I would be looking to buy something of better artistry and performance.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

There is some iconic spicy, aromatic quality about this scent that reminds of both an old-fashioned, high-maintenance luxury barbershop and some gourmet templet filled with exotic scents. The scent is vgery warm and has a certain vanilla and/or caramel quality about it, yet not too sweet. Even a little daring, as the exotic notes are almost too little masculine, besides difficult to accessorize with almost any kind of masculine( or else) of clothing, formal and informal wear and so further. Nevertheless, the scent is still, after the drydown is complete, inspite of its sweetness and some less masculine notes, very conservatively, robustly manly- paradoxically, tough some notes, taken by themselves, are not, the overall impression is still extremely virile( even a bit macho style, however very little, counterbalanced by its sophistication). It has a certain magnetic quality in it and a showy display of luxury, not only concerning the bottle, even the ingredients are lavish, baroque, rather than the restrained, inoffensive, barely perceptible class of many no-nonsense classics of male fragrance. The bottle-well, both gaudy and a masterpiece both opinions heard before are extremely right; while the display of luxury( crocodile pattern, crystal, crest...) are essentially American, revealing a newly rich taste for opulence at the verge of campy, without always being so, it matches the content, either the style of high-end barber-shops or gourmet temples mentioned above, or, some either newly rich American businessman or some old-money, old -school European Aristocrat taking part in a safari around 1900, an opulent occasion done less for the adventure and the discovery of nature( or nature's beauty) and mor just in order to drink champagne and display pomp in an off-beat setting...

buyers_remorse's avatar

Chopard pour Homme by Chopard

This is the new age of how all perfumes are smelling, Like Prada men, and Euphoria, slightly sweet, oriental and earthy. It is like a refelection of Western Countries an infusion and takeover of Asian influences. Where are all the cowboys gone?

dalailama's avatar

Greece Greece

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

Magic in a bottle. Mystery and luxury of an emperor. Danger and poetry.
    I first met it in 1995.
    After 11 years now i know that i ve found my HG.
    It s better even of Serge Lutens Orientals.

mysteriousmongoose's avatar

Vatican City State Vatican City State

Jicky by Guerlain

I tend to avoid many of the stablished fragrance houses, as I've found that, on me, many of their offerings smell very generically "perfumey". For me nothing is carved in stone, so when I was hunting for Petit Guerlain and came across Jicky EDP (which has often been referenced on basenotes), I had to try it.

I found this to be an incredibly simple fragrance that remained more or less the same from start to finish. While that may sound like a negative, this actually supported the fragrance itself, which replicated the experience of opening the oven door on a batch of just finished, perfect creme caramel, done with a very high grade of nutmeg.

It was beautifully creamy and delicious, and so different from both the described notes and other reviews, that I had to try it again before being convinced of my experience. I could not stop sniffing my wrists--it was on both the fronts and backs, since scents are slightly different in these two spots--because I was positively incredulous about what I was smelling.

There was no citrus, no wood, no herbal accord, no incense, nothing animalic. If I hadn't been quite certain of the source, or the bottle had not been a tightly sealed (I discreetly checked, making the salse-staff eye me suspiciously) I would have questioned whether this was actually the fragrance others have reviewed.

It opened with nutmeg (due perhaps to some combination of the wood, incense, and leather notes), custard, and caramel notes (benzoin and tonka bean, there), and stayed that way. An accord that was reminiscent of fondant seemed to advance and recede at intervals, but it was not very pronounced, and merged with the overall impression of creme caramel. I detected a faint amber note--something I normally cannot stand--that blended so beautifully into the whole. I actually appreciated its presence, as, along with the nutmeg note, it modulated the overall sweetness.

Jicky lasted well, about six hours, and wore quite close to the skin. Said skin is dry, fair, and freckled, just to provide a bit more background as to the beast on which these test results emerged.

This is definitely NOT generically "perfumey", yet in it's unusualness there is no element of the weird or uncomfortable. My prefernces are for Cabochard and Zagorsk, but Jicky is definitely right with them for uniqueness.

As soon as I can justify it financially, it is going to be sitting beside them on my shelf, too.

coumarin's avatar

After My Own Heart by Ineke

Described by the perfumer as "the scent of fresh lilacs floating on the early evening breeze," After My Own Heart (also called A) is a lilac soliflore with marine, sandalwood and musk notes.

It opens with fresh lilac over green notes, gradually joined by a whiff of sea breeze. The sandalwood and musk in the dry-down enhance the lilac without drawing undue attention to themselves. This is not a fragrance designed to precede you into a room or make a big statement -- it's subtle and stays close to the skin.

I find A could use more staying power, but my dry winter skin is probably a contributing factor. This would be a lovely spring/summer fragrance.

Ineke is a San Francisco-based perfumer who trained in the French tradition, studying with Isabelle Doyen and Dominique Ropion. More info at: http://www.inenke.com

Alligator's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

A bona fide classic scent and certainly the best of the Issey Miyake main line. The master designer at Firmenich Jacques Cavallier has created something quite classic with this. At first its green and fresh and the soft woody undertone... oblige me crazyingly sniffing! Hummmmmm this is very nice scent. I agree resitantly it is a bit like Acqua di Giò... but I emphasize: "It's much better" It is type of the fragrant Giò, and ends light, subtle and distinctly green. This would be quite nice on a man or woman, but since I wear it I don't think it smells particularly feminine. Classifies it as a men fragrance so it should not be listed for women... although I can easily see women wearing it as well. Lasts pretty long and goes with daily wear. Highly recommended.

Alligator's avatar

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Stylish, masculine and elegant. Tabarome Millésime is an absolute winner. The spiced citrus rings throughout and the tobacco is prominent too. Definitely one of the best hyped niche fragrances here in Basenotes... TM is an interesting composition. It is molto macho but not rich pipestyle tobacco. Yep! it's not a bad thing never, cuz this scent reminds me of a particular time... A time when I listened to Patsy Cline's "Three cigarettes in an Ashtray"... especially in GTA San Andreas! It has become one of my top men picks, and one that I suggest often and perhaps one of the discernible scent of the Creed collection. I actually wear this... it NOW sits on my shelf next to Silver Mountain Water, Tea for Two and Terre d'Hermes. Excellent winter evening scent.

Mikey Q's avatar

Bay Rum by Geo F Trumper

An OUTSTANDING Bay Rum. Lasts forever. Classy, warm, rich. Like visiting the islands without leaving home. If you need a "Rum" in your collection look no further.

Mikey Q's avatar

Monsieur Balmain (original) by Pierre Balmain

All lemon - all of the time. A very nice scent and certainly classy. For all of us lemon lovers a must have.

Vii's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Anise is a good word to represent the wonderful top notes (good one 'Scenturio'). It does have a licorice-type smell, which is wonderful. The pink pepper, and bitter orange(neroli) really makes you want to take heavy breaths to take it all in. Too bad the top notes end so quickly, because it is all the notes I cared for. The middle and base notes are okay, but nothing that would lure others to inquire you about it. I am on the line with this, and would give it a neutral, but the top notes bump it up a little.