Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

blondie1966's avatar

Almond Blossom Dew by L'Occitane

Almond Blossom Dew is a really nice, smooth scent! I would say it is more floral than woody or nutty but you can definitely tell there's almond in it! I luv it simply because it's great for your skin & the subtle scent lingers all day! I like to layer the lotion & then add this on top for an even more delicious scent! I luv many fragrances by L'Occitane!

Fiorello's avatar

L'Eau de L'Artisan by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The overwhelmingly natural quality of L'Eau de L'Artisan launches it light years past the dearth of average fragrances in this category. I don't think this would be evident from a sample. I only began to relish its organic, green bliss after a week of wearing it often (in the summer). I found it to have a most agreeable basil note which does smell very green but not so obviously grassy as others have noted.
    I couldn't agree more with opalsdad that, "this makes one realize what crap most fragrances houses are foisting on the public".
    Re: the "menstral" component: I find myself to be sensitive to that odor as well. I wonder if it's a gay guy thing? Although, I don't find it here. I do see where the verbena/basil accord could possibly lean that way but thankfully it just doesn't go there for me.
    It is quite linear and it is not as wholly complex as other L'Artisans, yes, but if you really love citrus/aromatic (green) combinations there's none so real and uplifting.

lemon verbena mint basil

Fiorello's avatar

Pancaldi by Hanorah

I remember this one fondly. It is disappointingly impossible to find now. Pancaldi is truly worthy of a rebirth.

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

This is a very strong complicated floral chypre to me. Very Strong. I think it is a wonderfully made perfume and so I can't put it down, but it was not the type that I prefer.

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

I was very disappointed with this one. It smelled to me like they took out the good stuff in coco and added a lot of sour notes.

Chance by Chanel

What is happening to Chanel. I have loved so many of their fragrances, but this one smells cheap and sour to me. I just expected a whole lot more. But then I've got that weird chemistry thing going on, but I'd surely suggest you try this one first. Wear it all day.

California by Dana

This is a very, very, light powdery floral. I have not smelled anything quite so light and airy. Even more so than White Shoulders and yet you can smell it very well and it does last, but it is not my type anymore.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

This scent is addicting. At first, I thought I would be bothered by the licorice because I do not like licorice, but the way it is mixed in with the other ingredients actually makes it smell wonderful. A spicy oriental that I dearly love.

Omnia by Bulgari

Why didn't I discover this earlier, I don't know. It has everything I like in an oriental soft wood and almond being my favorite. I just simply love this and it has a very creamy vanilla. It is not strong so I can wear this anywhere without fear of offending too many people.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I didn't expect to like this one and it really is not my type, but it does have a beautiful smell to it. I would highly recommend it to someone a little less stuck in their ways than me.

FlowerbyKenzo Oriental by Kenzo

I like this a lot better than Flowers, it has more spunk, more kick. It's not real strong, but it has more of what I like in a perfume than just Flowers. It is more complicated, I think.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Déclaration by Cartier

again a famous and very well known house of jewellry tries to launch a perfume-why?!.It is a waste of time and money!Again the will to make more money but it ends in a desaster.....declaration is a fruit basket,badly composed,definitely to intense and sweet for a man,to powerful in the head notes,the drydown is ok but in conclusion:fresh,clean,simple and ordinary-nothing special or interesting.If you look for a jeweller who has succesfully launched a perfume ,have a look at van cleef and arpels or boucheron-great scents!But Cartier´s declaration is a declaration of having lost the battle......If you look for a decent, interesting and memorable perfume then have a look at chanel, robert piguet, guerlain, caron etc-the great eternal french perfumeurs-and specially the scents of the last centuries-unbelievable classy and good!

thisbekevinn's avatar

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Hmmmm, this is the first time I tried any fragrances at Nordstrom(I'm a Macys person).

The cool looking bottle caught my attention then I smelt it and it smelt amazing!! I liked it so much I didn't bother trying anything else! I tried some on my skin and took a sample home!!

It smells much like the womens fragrance "I Love Love" but it's more masculine. A very fresh citrus summer scent but I'll be wearing this all year long. Very good one:)

Greenergy by Givenchy

An outstanding Green fragrance. Very long lasting. Pretty quick drydown then settles in to a classy warm scent. In my top ten for sure. Seems to be a little hard to find.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

A top ten fragrance for me. Long lasting, classy, not intrusive but still a compliment magnet. Not overly popular in my area, which is a good thing. I bought without sampling off reviews and ingredients and was not disappointed. A little pricey..but worth it. A winner!

Ungaro III by Ungaro

Very nice opening. Very much like Individuel only shorter laster. Berries to start, fairly quick dry down to very classy, soft masculine floral.

boogabazooga's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

Like your favorite rock star wearing leather pants - and no underwear.

linnea's avatar

Santal Blanc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Smelling the fragrance out of the bottle is lovely. Unfortunately my skin chemistry doesn't work with it. On the right person, it would get a thumbs-up. On me, it's terrible, so I'm giving it a neutral thumb rating.

When I put this fragrance on, I thought I had smothered myself in curry. There was a very strong scent of tumeric, fenugreek, cumin, and camphor, along with a faint woody accord that must be the sandalwood.I had just gotten back from a night out that included prime rib, but nothing involving tumeric or cumin.

30 minutes later: The fragrance is changing slightly and it seems to be drying down. There is a definite floral note that I'm getting now. However, it's still dominated by the tumeric and fenugreek. There is also a strong camphor-like presence that I find off-putting.

I really want to like this fragrance because I'm a huge fan of Lutens, but I just cannot get into it.

Society by Society Parfums

Interesting how people can come to so different conclusions... This fragrance was bought to give as X-mas by the company where I work...and surely I tried it before it was delivered... It is to most horrific, cheap, agressive floral scent that has ever been caught by my receptors... When finding out about this, I directly bought new perfume for the ladies at the office...and I am glad...since otherwise we would have been without staff by now... :) I tried to give the left overs to my Polish cleaning lady, but she said that she didn't even want to use it as a room scent... So for me it is double thumbs down...unless used for chemical warefare...

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

What a high class fragrance...! It totally embodies the name "Mademoiselle", since it really smells of upper class youg miss in a typical French manner. It lasts forever and is just sooo well blended and so balanced. The follower Chance is just a very boring and sad fragrance next to this one.

Antaeus by Chanel

What an interesting fragrance...! It was at the time of launch a favourite among the gay comunity, due to the very muscular and archetypical men in the advertisements...but more intresting, it is a quite unusal fragrance with a very distinctive smell a clear signature... It does not smell as dated as many other 80's fragrances, but I am not sure if I would wear it again...but clearly something for the collection.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Simply a classic among others...but different in the aspect that even though it is the far most 80's scent, it is still a modern fragrance... Love it for its subtle tones, but still lasting enough for a day out or at the office... The best Armani scent ever and it came out in a time when Armani was still an interesting designer brand.

Bijan for Men by Bijan

Bought a bottle at Ebay to try it out after watching a TV-program on Mr Bijan's exclusive Rodeo Dr. store... I was excited to say the least and opened the quite interestingly folded box, watched the bottle and thought...hmmm...a doughnut and a golfball...hmmm...why not!? When trying the fragrance it stood clear just after one wiff, definately an 80's type of smell, very pungent and somewhat old fashioned... The actual blend of notes makes me think of middle eastern gentlemen, with lots of pomade and a blend of spices picked up at the last visit to the local bazaar. Nothing for me at this point in life...but maybe later when the smell receptors starts to wear out...

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Bulgari Extreme...! What an extremely modern and manly fragrance, without any chest heaving overtones...just pure and clean, but with layers of sophistication... This is no:3 on my list over men's classics...after Cartier Santos Concentree and Nino Cerruti...

Bijan Wicked for Women by Bijan

After trying the original Bijan for men (thumbs down), I got a cross a bottle of this fragrance. I was truly excited to see what a company with such an exclusive profile might do for women...but sorry to say...I did not like it, nor did my girlfriend... It is somewhat orchid like in its middle notes, and with wiff of trendy rose...but accoring to my nose, not a good blend of notes over all. The bottle started to flake afer a couple of weeks in the bathroom...yet another evidence of a poorly executed product.

jillsy's avatar

Guess (original) by Guess

love it! not very longlasting though

jillsy's avatar

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

love it :D very summery and sweet

mary0124's avatar

Kiku by Fabergé

Loved this..had in summer of 69 (probably). I looked for years for it.
    I finally realized they stopped making it. It was like summer to me. Fun..clean..sunshine! I missed it more than any fragrance I ever had. Sorry it's gone. I ordered C&C I love love..sounds like it could be simular.
    (flipflops and summer sun!)

Ayala's avatar

Amber & Lavender by Jo Malone

Amber & Lavender is not so much about amber or lavender as it is about Fougere, and not the most ambery Fougere at that. It’s herbal and clean, with a bold presence and a classical masculine appearance. The base is a tad animalic, even indolic, and a tad spicy. Apparently, this was Jo Malone’s creation for her husband, and I am not surprised. A good Fougere scent is the epitome of masculine scents, and what I associate most with my man.
    If you follow some of Jo Malone suggestions for layering with Amber & Lavener, you’d be surprised how versatile this scent is. It is equally warm and fresh, and adds an interesting twist to some of her other scents. The notes that stand out most for me are lavender, sage, cloves, amber and oakmoss.

11th December, 2006

Ayala's avatar

Grapefruit by Jo Malone

This used to be one of my favourites from the line, but after I discovered the true identity of Orange Blossom, it kind of lost some of its charm for me. It’s a rather simple citrus cologne, and conjures a very aromatic grapefruit, so expect nothing of the sweetness of Guerlain’s Pampelmousse. Grapefruit is not the first thing that you think of when smelling this cologne, but rather – citrus. It’s a reviving and refreshing scent, and very handsomely done. I think one of the most incredible things about it though is how well it layers with other Jo Malone scents. It makes the nasty Blue Agava and Cacao smell delicious and alive, and adds spark to anything really.

11th December, 2006