Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

wallander's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Gorgeous.Simply gorgeous.A fragrance which
    changed the idea of oriental.Not for everybody,better the day than the night.
    Please,don't be dressed to kill while you wear it!

jillsy's avatar

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

They were right by calling this Addict - mum didnt like the childproof cap so gave it to me and now i keep having to apply it just to smell it again. It is not a scent that I like but so totally addictive

different-scents's avatar

Reaction Thermal for Men by Kenneth Cole

There was a magazine sample that had the origional Reaction, plus Reaction Thermal.

At first I thought I liked the original a little better, but a short while later I realized that the original was just very bland and basically boring.

I really enjoy the scent of Reaction Thermal. The sweet musky mid notes are perfect before the mellowing woody notes come up. A bottle of this will be my next purchase.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Grafton by Truefitt & Hill

Easily my favourite from this house and possibly my favourite barbershop cologne. This is a soapy, dry and very green fougere which just sits very nicely without shouting. It adds a wiff of "gentleman" to the surroundings, but not in an ostentatious way. This will work well in any setting.

Eau de Vetyver by Yves Rocher

Crisp and literaly quivering with energy and warmth yet clean-cut scent, exhaling the qualities of one of the most well-known ingredients in perfume industry. Powerfull woody and resinous drydown, long-lasting, refreshing and strong.

Homme Nature by Yves Rocher

Fairly priced, but at the same time innovative scent. Frech-made subtlety and refinement at an affordable price. Allrounder which i'd compare to everyone's good friend, however not particularly close to anyone. Maybe not sophisticated, multi-layered, formal, timeless, iconic or even expensive( and maybe a little snobish) enough to be anybody's signature scent, but a good, tolerable spare in anyone's wardrobe among more high-end scents. Suprisingly( or not) this one actually smells pleasant and has good lasting power. Misleaded by the name, expected something more casual and ran into an underrated creation. Woody notes with aromatic herbal undertones and a hint of vetyver, reminding of Rocher's brilliant previous creation: the refined, inoffensive and uplifting eau de vetyver. Green touches all the way and a powerfull drydown of mild, balanced notes- quizzical but possible with this one. Much more complex than one would expect and, as stated before, the bottle is also a masterpiece, just like the puristic, very clean-cut box, making this scent truly above average and distinguished, partly even exceeding and surpassing costlier fragrances.

Kistna by Body Shop

Generic, but quite good aquatic scent, with that specific, cooling and smooth note of aloe to be found in most ozonic-watery creations. More unisex than masculine, but fitting in today's fashion for rather sporty, youthfull and less conservative notes well. Also, some interesting fruity and exotic features. Better lasting power and more masculinity- in the elegant, classy sense of the word- required! Acceptable as casual scent, especially during hot summer days, due to a cooling, refreshing, energizing effect.

RuffDawg's avatar

Zirh by Zirh

This one has a very strong alcohol scent to it. Imagine rubbing alcohol with dashes of lime, ginger & black pepper. On me a little bit of a funky rubbing alcohol scent throughout. Maybe this is just on my skin though, I dont know. Its not terribly bad, but its not very good IMO. I wore it a few times and gave it away. I have tried some of the Zirh body products also, and found that ironically the Zirh after shave "skin soother" burned like fire :-O and the deodorant was horrible, slimy, sticky, nasty feeling, ewww. The bar of body soap wasn't bad at all, I'd have to say its the best item in this entire line.

Té by Beth Terry Creative Universe

I love that review by Calchic because it perfectly illustrates the mystery of Te and how it smells different to each wearer. I do agree that overall, Te is unusual, and that the celery and clove create a unique herbal edge. But after about 5 minutes the herbaceousness tends to fade and the entire composition becomes the scent of steam rising from a pot of just brewed green tea...an effect that I can't say I find in so many of the other aromas that claim to use tea notes.

Mare by Beth Terry Creative Universe

Sea salt, ginger lily, and avocado - who knew so simple a composition could create such an astounding olfactory effect. One of my favorite marine aromas, Mare has been well-reviewed here at Basenotes and for good reason - it's one of the most unique scents of its genre: Fresh, clean, and nothing like Acqua di Gio...what moe could you ask for?

Vita by Beth Terry Creative Universe

I'm puzzled that this one is denoted with the women's symbol, as it smells perfectly unisex to me: A sparkling aroma that includes notes of rare teas, plum, blackcurrant, lily of the valley, and citrus (luckyscent.com), to me, Vita is all about grapefruit. This is what I want to reach for on a hot summer day, something that is fresh, invigorating, and easy-to-wear.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Pasha Fraîcheur Menthe by Cartier

In theory, a mint note should be a welcome addition to the sweet, dense and linear Pasha, but in reality it seems to make the sweetness even more prominent, while also muffling in the process the aromatic green explosion of the original.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Mandragore by Annick Goutal

To my nose, this is just a toned-down version of Duel, with some minor note tampering. Short on longevity and spices, if any. Another fine, but not essential, variation on Goutal's signature tea and citrus themes.

fredricktoo's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

if Luca Turin says that Dzing! smell like cardboard, I'd love to meet the maker of his cardboard and tour the plant.

I can only imagine what the other paper products will smell like if the cardboard smells this good.

h_len's avatar

Israel Israel

L'Antimatière by LesNez

this one is just boring. the smell of nothing.

ActingTall's avatar

Royal Delight by Creed

Rapturous! I discovered the beauties of Royal Delight and Acier Aluminium on the same day and find them both sweet and intoxicating and different enough from each other that I will buy bottles of both. MonkeyMan's review is spot on regarding the notes and the androgynous nature of the scent (not to mention the name!), but it's too lovely to miss.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

A*Men is a little overpowering at first, but give it a chance.
    AMAZING drydown, beautifully crafted fragrance, long lasting and attention grabbing.

SO worth the money... (though i get it free :-) )

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Every time i offer someone to try Alien (at my job), most of them immediately have their doubts, and start forming a negative reaction towards the scent. Alien is wonderful on the skin, and i go crazy when my friend wears it...it smells amazing on her.
    Top notes of Jasmine, bottom of Amber.

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

I can definately smell a hint of the mint leaves, and some mandarin.
    This fragrance is very light, but still amazing in its complexity. Ive gotten many compliments so far from Antidote...if it were only a bit heavier and longer lasting.

Alligator's avatar

Rocabar by Hermès

What a nice unisex scent! This is without a doubt, one of the best last decade colognes of Hermes I've ever encountered. Easy to describe it's a straightforward scent: Smells like tons of juniper stacked on top of vanilla... very warm, spicy besides amber dominate. In my mind a cross between Azzaro pour Homme and Creed Millesime Imperial, and perhaps a pinch of many women scents. It is masculine...it is feminine... it has a sort of unisex fragrances in some way. More appropriate for especial events, romantic or evening wear, fine for daily wear too. Works well in moderate climates and all textiles. Classy, elegant and exellent in terms of quality. The only negative thing about Rocabar is that isn't last for approximately 2 hour...no problem ;)

Mikey Q's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Of the 70 colognes in my cabinet, this one is my #1 - My Holy Grail. Bought it untested off reviews here. An unbelievable scent. Lasts long compared to some of the other Creeds. Fresh, soft, and rich scent.

mochi227's avatar

Frankincense by Demeter Fragrance Library

This singular note Frankincense lasted all of 30 minutes on me with practically zero sillage. I suppose it is best qualified as a skin scent, as you'd have to practically have your nose in my neck to get any hint of this very lightweight frag.

The Frankincense is nice, but nothing out of the ordinary. If you want to wear a very light Frankincense in a warm climate, this could be a contender, but I'm sure there are much better. Not offensive, but gets a thumbs down because it's just so underwhelming.

miguel's avatar

Slovenia Slovenia

Antaeus by Chanel

I got myself my very first bottle of Anteus back in '94 when I was 18 - still in high school. Since I wore only black clothes in those days it was just the matter of time when would that clasic black "so veray Chanel" bottle catch my eyes (and nose). God, I still remeber the rush that went down my spine when I sensed the fragrance for the first time. Dark, mysterious, heavy, seductive, sexy, rich, bold and maybe in depth just a bit sweet. And though 18, I had a hell-of-an- attitude to wear it.
    Even now in 2006 women love it, but I find meny men to be afraid of it. Both wearing it themselves or noticing it on another men. It actually takes a lot of a men to wear it like it's suposed to be worn. One of my all time top 3 frangrances. Wondering what would EDP feel like on my skin...

caterina's avatar

Comme des Garçons White by Comme des Garçons

I really wish I detected the pomegranate. All I smell is cinnamon and sandalwood. Very much a winter smell, and quite masculine. Smells nice, but not for me. Far more organic than CdG's 53 and 2.

kbe's avatar

Havana by Aramis

A HUGE presence for the first 10-15 minutes. Intense and almost overpowering at first if over applied. Easy does it.

Seems to turn its head away slightly during a middle phase lasting a half hour or so. Definitely still there, but changing, much more subdued.

Then, a long, slowly evolving glow of multi layered spice, incense, tobacco, dried fruit radiates from the skin. Almost edible at this stage. Great longevity. Finally emerges into a delicious and subtle melding of vanilla and fruitwood smoke. Damn nice!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

>>September 27, 2009 Review of Havana 're-release':

Hallelujah! The Aramis Havana 're-release' (did it ever really go out of production outside the USA?) is essentially the same as the original--a wonderfully raucous opening barrage of spice/citrus/tobacco that is the olfactory equivalent of a spectacular nighttime fireworks display!

Middle notes are quieter with less flashy sparkle but more depth of fruit and a touch of rum and floral quietly and firmly taking center stage backdrop position. The drydown, simply put, continues to be one of the most sublime the fragrance world has to offer.

As I write this edit the single back-of-hand tester spritz of the 'new' Havana I applied at noon is in it's 8th hour, and I just cannot stop myself from sniffing it!

June 26, 2011

Below is my forearm-to-forearm review, originally posted in a Basenotes thread, of both the original and reissue of Havana from October 2009. I thought I would include it as a part of my review of Havana as it is the only review I have undertaken pitting the original against the reissue:
    It is now late June of 2011 and I haven't changed my opinion:

**********
    Tonight I am pitting the recent reissue of Havana against the 'vintage' version of Havana

Two spritzes of vintage Havana on my right forearm, then two spritzes of the reissue Havana on my left forearm.

Note: Updates to this post will continue approximately every half hour tonight until I either get tired of doing so or go to bed.

Initial observation: The usual Havana cacophony opening for both with a blast of concentrated citrus/spice dominating a tobacco background. For the first 5 minutes the reissue is brighter, sharper by, say, 20% in opening notes. But isn't that to be expected when pitted against a vintage fragrance that has been imprisoned in the bottle for over 10 years? I think so.

20 minutes in: No discernible difference. I cannot distinguish between the two. They are absolutely identical at this point to my nose. Still the concentrated citrus/spice/tobacco but now deeper, less sharp and much richer and with considerably more depth of notes.

50 minutes in: Middle notes of pepper and rum beginning to appear intertwined with the citrus/spice and the tobacco notes getting stronger. Again, both vintage and reissue are so similar at this point I could not tell which is which if I didn't know where I spritzed each. This is a sleek, muscular thoroughbred fragrance, glistening in the sweat of an early evening workout it is fully enjoying.

90 minutes in: Spices, rum, and citrus concentrate opening notes beginning to mellow but still dominant. Tobacco somewhat stronger than in the opening notes, but so nice! Florals beginning to show: hyacinth and Jasmine according to the Basenote Pyramid but I cannot be definite about which floral I am beginning to detect, only that it is a slightly floral note in the mix now. Magnificent overall sillage for both reissue and vintage. Makes me want to bury my face in my forearm (either) and just sniff and sniff..The reissue is ever so little behind in development but with the identical mix of wonderful aromas. Myohmyohmy...I am slap-in-the-face reminded why I love this fragrance so damn much! So similar still you would think it was the same bottle.

120 minutes in: Identical development, sillage and notes. Intense. Magnificent. Heading into drydown with Smoke, Fruitwood, Tobacco, some Rum, Vanilla beginning to emerge with some Floral and definitely some Spice left to strut it's stuff. All melded together in what I call Heaven on both forearms. Stopping here because as far as I am concerned Aramis has re-created a nearly identical fragrance to their original Havana in the reissue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 08 May, 2014)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Héritage by Guerlain

For those who care here are the notes:

Top: Bergamot oil, Coriander, Cypress, Green Note, Lavender, Lemon, Mandarin, Pepper.

Heart: Bay oil, Cinnamon, Jasmin, Lily of the Valley, Orris, Rose.

Base: Amber, Cedar, Cistus oil, Musk, Patchouli, Sandal, Styrax, Tonka.

I'm a fan of Orientals esp woods, and this--while not my all time favorite--was money well spent.

Only one spoiler but it's important. This is close to Zino and, imho, Zino is better.

13 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 05 August, 2009)

Adidas Urban Spice by Adidas

Quite generic-after all it's Adidas- but also not bad. And yes, very metrosexual. Truly urban, modern, maybe a little too daring for my taste, partly appealing, but up to a certain point intoxicating sweet, fairly good lasting power for its price. Interesting combination, maybe a spinoff inspired by rather experimental and much more unisex scents by CK, partly of the male fragrances from the Hugo range or even the newer Boss scents besides Hugo.

Adidas Originals pour Homme by Adidas

There is a certain timeless note about this scent, the brand, the name, but above all the image of Adidas might be misleading in this case, just because this one is not synthetic and smells good. Or maybe it's more truthful to the Adidas image as one might think. It actually represents high quality and almost vintage, slightly nostalgic sports-or casual wear( and the older Adidas logo on box and bottle supports this) and even if recently made, it smells like one of the first casual scents. Comfortable to wear and discreet, almost a classic among its price cathegory and casual creations.

rach2jlc's avatar

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I really like this scent, but I can see why some of the others do not. There is definitely patchouli in here, but it is mixed in with numerous elements softer and sweeter. If you like your patchouli in a 60's Woodstock blend, this may not be the one for you.

It takes a little time to warm up on the skin, but after that, it sticks close and really creates a unique and personal experience (after all, it is a patchouli "patch"... not a patchouli bomb.)

ethereal's avatar

Eau de Cèdre / Cèdre Blanc by Heeley

To me, smells just like horseradish.