Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

ruby3's avatar

212 by Carolina Herrera

This is my #1 favorite. I hear nothing but "you smell great" when I wear this. It is sexy but subtle, warm yet fresh. Good lasting power but not overwhelming. Perfect!

13 December, 2006

Femme's avatar

Slovenia Slovenia

Mystery by Naomi Campbell

Trite, to say the least.
    Slightly "melony" at first sniff, it dried down very quickly, and less than an hour after applying it (on the wrists), it had developed into an intolerable musky/sticky smell that I cannot honestly describe as a "fragrance" . ("Stink" is the right word, in my opinion.)
    And, as with most cheap-smelling fragrances, it turned out to be very difficult to remove, even with soap.

13 December, 2006

flathorn's avatar

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

This fragrance has a very classic personae, with a well done subdued fruit in the top, a quality floral piquancy in the middle and tailored warm basenotes that combine into a charming, womanly, casually elegant combination. The aldehydes are borderline sneezy for me though, as I am somewhat allergic to them, so I wear this fragrance with discretion, which is how it should be worn anyway - it has a lot of carrying power. I found it listed as a floral, while it struck me as solidly floriental because of the strong basenote presence in it. First is at its best in winter weather, and that is usually only when I wear it - try it when you are wearing wool and out Christmas shopping. Its richness really does have an affinity for sweaters.

13 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th June, 2011)

Joe_Frances's avatar

Arôme 3 by D'Orsay

Arome 3 is a fantastic fragrance. It is a rich, wild amalgamation of lavender, sage, jasmin and something that smelled (to me) like licorice or anise. I was ecstatic about it and my sales guru-pal at Bergdorf's thinks I am his secret weapon in the sales wars this Christmas season. I am trying to sell the stuff to others! I love D'Orsay, and this is a new one on me, but I was totally wowed and must have it. Where Villoresi Wild Lavender is dry, rich and straight-forward, this is is a mixed warm/cool fragrance with greater complexity and a touch or romance. I can see how it would work for woman, and I often dislike unisex fragrances, but this is IMHO a predominantly masculine fragrance that is too great to pass up. The Count has done it again!

Joe

PS Now can someone tell me what "Pastoral" is in the elements mix?

Joe_Frances's avatar

New York by Nicolaï

This impressed me as very nice, but dated. Maybe I have been trying a lot of new fragrances lately and there are a lot of very interesting things around today, and this reminded me of a lot of great late 80s-early 90s stuff. For some reason I just can't get that excited about it. I wouldn't say its passe nor does it lack character or style. Still I think this is close to something I wore in the dark ages a decade or so ago that I have finsihed with, without looking back. Don't mean to be mean, but I won't run out to get it.

Adidas Dynamic / Dynamic Pulse by Adidas

Kind of poor man's Hugo Men, the first of the range, before Dark Blue, Woman or Energise were introduced, but Hugo is itself a sporty and rather affordable scent, so this one might smell even more synthetic. Oddly, I loved this scent at first, as I wasn't aware of its excessive sweet drydown and i first percieved it at Hugo...just much more affordable, maybe even better. But there is a certain caramel note in the end that even exceeds the tonka note specific for Hugo's drydown. All this and a feeble, synthetic aquatic note, yet not matched with the scent's sweetness, much more these two notes anachronistically and almost interesting, challenging fighting each other- I hardly figured which one would outlast the other. Synthetic tonka-smelling notes, evolving into the purest smell of candy and syrup.

Best of Chevignon by Chevignon

A bit like the original Chevignon( even the bottles are quite alike) for men from 1992 with a more marine, aquatic twist. Maybe this pair of scents is reminding of a much more famous duo: Boss Elements and Elements Aqua, not only beacuse of the concept and the two versions of a concept, but even the notes are not that different, while Chevignon for men is an earthy, leathery, more conservative scent like Elements, Best of Chevignon is, just like Elements Aqua, lighter, more unisex, crisp, fruity. Oddly, I tested this scent at a time with another Boss scent, Hugo dark blue, and compared to the latter, best of Chevignon was much better recieved of people in my company as it smelled, so they said, more masculine than Hugo dark blue( considering that typical Hugo sweetness it might be true). This one is (de-)lightfully aromatic, pushing the grren notes further than in other Chevignon scents, fresh, youthful enough to be considered modern, yet elaborate, elegant, masculine( even if listed as unisex), long-lasting enough to be a classic. So, besides Chevignon for men, another incumbent classic, with a more easy-going, yet not necessarily casual, experimental, playful approach.

14 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 27 May, 2008)

Minotaure by Paloma Picasso

Sun ad air of the Mediterranean, slightly earthy, also sweet musky drydown. Often compared to Roma and I totally agree about the resemblance. Some chemical undertones too, yet just not synthetic enough to make it smell cheap. Otherwise, an excess of sweet spices, maybe not masculine enough, but making up for the lack of masculinity or even of logical structure( as they are a bit too chaotic and too many), has also some good parts, as it adds an overly rich bouquet of aromatic, Oriental, almost edible notes. Exotic like some Creation of Chopard or Boucheron( yet maybe without all of the refinement of these two houses), ardent and fruity like other creations coming out of the world of art, namely Salvador Dali( like a Dali creation this one can be fruity-edible, partly goth, experimental up to being abstract, baroque, glamorous but also thought-provoking, intelligently playfull). The powdery drydown is also fairly close to Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermesor some scents by Paco Rabanne( Paco, Paco Energy...) - though they all, including Minotaure, and even Roma Uomo, start off either citrus or fruity, they all develope into a more powdery, dusty, spicy finnish.

Nobile by Gucci

Subtle, yet energetic with herbal and aromatic notes. There is a certain old-school refinement about this scent, which actually combines both a clean, puristic high-quality timelessness with that certain touch of dandy eccentricity. The drydown is crisp, with discreet minty touches later to be found also in Envy, refined cedar and an unlikely, but superb mix of almost neutral, colder, green notes and the warmth, magnetism, mysterious, exotic and spicy warmth of leathery notes. Still, the allround impression reminds all in all of very high-class, high-end eau de cologne and citrus scents( or both ), only with a more woody, cooler- almost neutral, marginally aquatic too-, almost antiseptic, but also slightly smoky, yet not incense and tobacco notes.
    Reminescent both of the iconic chypre smelling couture scents of the 80's, especially from Italian and even Spanish brands as they all, including this one, smell more or less Mediterranean, but also typical for the 80's, powerhouse and business-class, yet like the fully suitable and suggestive title says, also following and continuing a much older aristocrartic and conservative tradition of gentleman's scents, as it manages, inspite of the similarities with the 80's scents to transcend the materialistic, even if luxurious and powerful style of this decade and evolve to a more exclusive dimension, towards frail, suave, discreet notes embodying both the elusive, vapid vanity and the unattainable, distant, almost fairytale-like mood of the old world still dominated by nobility( and not yet by Wall Street ).

14 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th April, 2008)

opalsdad's avatar

Narcisse Noir by Caron

This is eroticism in a bottle: definitely the most aggressively sexual scent I have had the pleasure of knowing. It is dark and mysterious and tinged with danger, about the sensuality of the Orient as imagined by a European, like the best of the paintings of the Pre-Raphaelites. On the right woman this aphrodisiac is well-nigh irresistible

Renato's avatar

4711 Ice by 4711

I've never been a fan of the original 4711, as it has always seemed a bit on the feminine side to me. However, 4711 Ice is a bit less feminine than the original, and lasts twice as long on me - which still isn't all that long.

I'll give this one a thumbs up for smell alone, and won't count longevity in the assessment, since everyone knows 4711 has next to none.
    Renato

sjw's avatar

Essential by Lacoste

My "ol' reliable". Fresh, clean and a little sweet, something I can wear day in day out without getting too bored. Because of this it's my everyday office scent and it's perfect because it's completely inoffensive. Quite sporty, very much suited for daytime wear and it has good longevity.

Tanzfreak24's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I give this one a thumps up!!It's very versatile, can be worn during the day or at night. It gives you always a fresh feeling, but it's at the same time sexy and manly! I like this one.

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

GFT by Geo F Trumper

A soapy, clean and well-behaved citrus/lavender, agreeable and unmistakably British, but like 4711 or Acqua di Parma, too good-old-barbershop-cologne-y to be thrilling. Safe office/everyday wear.

vdxxl's avatar

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

Sweet, sexy but not very special. It is not very original, but for everyday life it is a nice choice because girls love it. Anyway as a daytime fragrance I recommend it rather than any citrusy-zesty cologne.

vdxxl's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

A very nice scent: sweet, sensual, with a milky praline note. This one is for the man that considers himself sexy, and considers his appearance very important. I prefer Very Irresistible over this, but still it is a great scent, but I won't buy it because a lot of boys now have it in Romania.

h_len's avatar

Israel Israel

cK one "Graffiti" by Calvin Klein

great bottles! but i'd like to get some new interesting scent inside...
    worthless...

Scentsibility's avatar

Yang by Jacques Fath

The best description I can give is, "Bvlgari Eau de The Vert Concentree Extreme", with emphasis on the EXTREME. This one lasts all day on me and seems pretty linear in the drydown. My skin shreds many frags quickly, but Yang is good for a solid 8 hours. I bought this blind with beauty bucks on Perfume Emporium, so it cost me nothing. This was a great addition to my wardrobe! I've heard it referred to as the, "King of Green". I concur with this! It's fairly heavy with great longevity and high sillage. I think it's classified as green/oriental. Usually one or two spritzes is enough. I wear it as an office/casual scent, but it really deserves better play - a quality sleeper frag.

Scentsibility's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I get the Barbasol shave cream, but not the patchouli, no matter how hard I sniff. It does last a long while and it comes off as clean and masculine. In a word, unpretentious.

This is the well-groomed male plus ultra. Some will say barbershop, but I say this is truly unique (and confident in its uniqueness).

I could see Jay Leno and Stephen King wearing this, just because they are both old-school regular unpretentious guys that have made it big, and their celebrity has not detracted from their character.

(Is it me or is Jay Leno the ONLY guy that can pull off jeans and a denim shirt of similar hue?)

This is sneaky and potent stuff, to be sure. It will disappear within an hour, only to "blossom" profusely with minimal physical activity.

Double plus thumbs up for capturing an era when men actually waited in line for a decent wet shave... It is timeless and superbly masculine.

Oh, and the ladies like it too :)

mochi227's avatar

Lucifer No. 3 by Damien Bash

The ylang-ylang top note is strong in this one. This scent plays out mostly floral on me, without the dark or spicy
    nuances others mention. I don't find this a "dark" scent at all. It dries down close to the skin; the sillage on this one isn't very high and its longevity is average at best. I detect a white tea note, which isn't mentioned in the structure. Sandalwood and frankinscene are supporting players in the this production, and they speak their best lines at the end of the show, when the ylang has long left the stage (but the ylang hangs around for quite a
    while, so you won't get to Frank and Sandal until the very last act). However, the structured way the perfume unfolds is the only thing theatrical about it. Naming after the fallen angel strikes me as inaccurate: Lucifer No. 3 is hardly ominous, scary, grotesque, vile, evil, dangerous, craven, fallen, or any of the other ideas associated with the dark one.

I could imagine this scent for a weekend evening at home, a dinner party or a more intimate occasion. The first notes of this scent stimulate and welcome, then as it dries down, it becomes a skin scent, and plays best in close encounters. This is also a nice spring rainy day scent, where I could imagine it being brought out by the humidity and wetness of the rain. Rather than a dark scent, this one might tip towards melancholy, but that kind of melancholy that the best optimists have, when once again, their sensitive hearts have been dashed by believing too much in something that didn't pay off.

I like this scent, but wouldn't pay the high price for it as there are other frags that I think are more distinctive. It's a fine scent, but underwhelming and not particularly unique, therefore, I can only give it a nuetral review.

Heidi's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Envy by Gucci

As a huge fan of green notes, I adore Envy! I want more of this sort fragrances.

jillsy's avatar

No Debate by Body Shop

I loved smelling this perfume when I was little - it brings back so many childhood memories now. I was so disappointed when I recently found out it was a male perfume - I don't think anyone realised that when someone gave it to my mum. But every now and then I still apply a bit coz I love the smell so much. It's such a shame they discontinued it; if it were still available I'd buy it for my boyfriend and "borrow" it a lot!

different-scents's avatar

Burberry for Men by Burberry

The top notes are pleasant and sweet, but disappear almost immediately. You only smell the top notes when this scent is in the bottle, and for the first 60 seconds on the skin.

The mint is the first mid-note to appear, and it lingers amongst that woody, lavender, mossy paradise for quite some time. You see lime at the end of the list and think: WTF? It's there, but you have to search for it. Interesting, indeed.

Guess what? When the mid-notes wear off, it's pretty boring. At the very end of the day, or maybe the next morning, you'll smell this bland combo of basenotes. It smells perfectly good, but it becomes boring.

I enjoy the top notes, love the mid-notes, and get bored at the very end. This one is amazing around 10 AM. All the girls love smelling this one before lunch, it makes them hungry... if you know what I mean.

For me, this is perfect (so far). I use Burberry as a daily scent, although I go very, very light in warm weather. Definitely a cool weather scent, though in COLD weather, the scent gets lost, disappears.

One warning for the wearer of this scent: Anytime within the fist hour of application, you need to be careful! Do not over-apply! This stuff will be nauseating to those around you if you wear too much. I normally go with two light sprays around the neck from about 10-12 inches away.

Very body-heat responsive, so be careful after application. You really do not want to race up a flight of stairs within the first hour! No racing from the parking lot at the last minute, or else you will reach your destination and choke everybody. Burberry becomes overpowering when your body heats up.

14 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 15 September, 2010)

Leif's avatar

Crave by Calvin Klein

This is a very sporty scent, it is entirely artificial and definitely orange. A lot of people give this a hard time for these qualities and I understand the position; this fragrance is not a great one but it does well for a youth audience and I like to think both the plastic bottle was meant to be tossed around in a gym bag. Not sophisticated but not meant to be. It's not remarkable either and lacks any kind of complexity, which is fine for what it is. At the prices its going at now maybe be worth a look for those interested in an energetic sport fragrance.

Leif's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

This one grew on me, I love everything about it. The deep scents are a nice change from a lot of the sharp citrus stuff going around, the notes are exotic yet familiar, almost reminds me of fragrant rice in a nice Thai restaurant. Very sophisticated, suitable for warmer weather I think, often I'll come home from work and head to the gym and when I sweat a little the fragrance comes right back, very long lasting even when used sparingly.

14 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 28 July, 2009)

jfleblanc22's avatar

Libertine by Vivienne Westwood

I'm very picky about perfumes and I rarely find one that I like much less love. I tested Libertine on a whim and loved it! It was perfect for me. Not fruity or too floral, not powdery or sugary smelling and not too soft. I loved it so much I bought some for my mom too. I'm disappointed that it was discontinued and I'm now having to find something new to wear.

BrothaG's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Eau de Santal Extreme by Floris

A woody, spicy, warm and sensual fragrance. As it dries down, the rather strong opening goes into a sweeter, rich base. Very classic and elegant with a twist. It is indeed quite familiar to Gucci's Envy but I'd rate it a little more grown-up.

ComDiva's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

Further proof that the Guerlain base and/or unsweetened grapefruit notes generally do not work on my skin at all! Bitter, almost metallic tangy start, moving quickly to a combination acrid/sweet powder smell on dry down. I could imagine it would "open" nicely on those whose skin can tolerate high levels of sharp citrus, though.

Candy Perfume Boy's avatar

England England

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Smells like burnt cookies to me! Way too much vanilla and very sickly.

opalsdad's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Not my cup of tea - or should I say very sweet latte. Like Dior Homme this has a nice beginning - especially the iris note - but then plunges into a syrupy mess. I tested it on my wrist and also took a card that was sprayed. Two days later I noticed a sickeningly sweet odor emanating from my desk. You guessed it: a sweet, sweet combination of amber, chocolate, vanilla and caramel. The card and the sample both went into the garbage. What annoys me most is not that the scent is that bad, it is just that it is a copy of something that is supposedly "on trend." What a shame that Lanvin didn't choose to re-release its three great scents from the Sixties: Lavande, Vetyver and Figaro.