Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Collection Homme Fruit de Bois by Jean-Charles Brosseau

Fruit de Bois is the softest and sweetest of the Homme Collection. This superb composition is not entirely unique: it shares many of the characteristics of Brosseau's Ombre Bleue. The fruits and woods and spices are very carefully mixed and none dominates. I can see many women finding this to be an ideal scent for the office or for casual moments. Another winner for M.Brosseau! While I doubt that the Collection Homme will be a commercial success, aesthetically it is spot-on.

Collection Homme Atlas Cedar by Jean-Charles Brosseau

This fragrance - part of the Homme Collection by Jean Charles Brosseau -is surprisingly the strangest scent of the group. I was expecting a true cedar scent something like Comme des Garcons would produce or a cedar dominated beauty like Feminite du Bois. However, while the cedar is evident in the composition, there is an equally strong fruity component which renders the scent much less dry than one would imagine. It is a very well composed and versatile scent, just not what I was expecting.

Collection Homme Thé Brun by Jean-Charles Brosseau

This beauty - created by Pierre Bourdon - is part of the Collection Homme, the other two fragrances being Atlas Cedar and Fruit de Bois. True to its name, it recreates the scent of a pot of Russian tea, one with more than a dash of lapsang souchong. The smokiness is quite apparent but does not totally dominate the scent as it does in Tea for Two. It is more submerged and gives a very well rounded, very well composed fragrance. Very nice, indeed!

Tovah's avatar

Gardénia by Chanel

Chanel Gardenia is exquisite. To me it doesn't smell like a gardenia at all. It smells like green tea, dry vanilla, and jasmine blossoms. My husband loves this one, and so do I. It makes me feel like I'm in a warm Savannah garden.

Tovah's avatar

Sublime by Jean Patou

Sublime is a womanly, golden-feel fragrance that seems to radiate its presence. It reminds me of the "grande dame" fragrances of past eras in that it has a singular, unmistakable personality. It's sensual, sexual, and rather controlling, but it's also "dressy" to my nose, and definitely a romantic evening scent. When I first spray this I find it to be intimidating, strong, and too elegant for me. But when I walk away from the fragrance blast and let Sublime melt into my skin it's absolutely beautiful. It's so complex. Unlike many other fragrances I wear, I can't judge from its beginnings how it will end on my skin. It's moody, and I like that. I have it in a gold, limited edition bottle that came in a blue velvet pouch, and it looks romantic, classic, and refined. Sublime isn't an "everyday" type "fragrance", it's a special "perfume" that's meant to be experienced during finer moments in life. In my opinion, it's a work of art.

viper15's avatar

New York by Nicolaï

Fantastic scent! The stinging, spicy opening reminds me somewhat of living in the projects of Brooklyn, and the nostalgic amber brings back memories of the warehouses where we held hood brawls. Wonderful! Def thumbs up

zztopp's avatar

Royal Ceylan by Creed

Royal Ceylan (RC) - a 2006 limited edition release - 1.7 Oz. for $270; at that price, this stuff better be the nectar of Gods itself.

Its hard to describe Royal Ceylan because no one note stands out. RC contains a characteristic accord which showcases a central citrus note complemented by less discernible notes of ginger, tea and sea salt. These complementing notes give RC an evolved citrus accord, with occasional whiffs of ginger and salt. The fragrance stays close to skin, but longevity is good (around 7 hours).

RC is copacetic - infact, it smells like a refined Erolfa, which is a good thing. However, when compared to Feuille Verte, it is lacking in flow and evolution, and doesn't smell as arresting. The singular and exceptional jasmine basenote in Feuille Verte itself surpasses anything Royal Ceylan has to offer. At regular Creed prices, I might give this a neutral rating, but at prices costing a credit card and a nostril, it really cant be recommended.

Olivier Creed visited far flung islands to seek out pristine ingredients for Royal Ceylan. If only the end result was as gratifying as his sea voyages..

1280adam's avatar

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Great scent !

I sprayed some on this morning, smelled amazing...10 hours later, still smells amazing and only slightly wore off. I can't help but smell wherever I sprayed it, i'd probly be doing the same thing if a girlfriend was wearing it too. Definetly worth a try !

Gherkins's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This is by far the most digusting scent I've ever smelled. It is so bad, it's alsmost funny. Reminds me of cat's vomit, sorry to say

luckylouie's avatar

Panache by Fine Fragrances & Cosmetics

Panache is a lovely light aldehydic floral, quite elegant and perfect for daytime. Perhaps its main failing is its lack of strength and the fact that it is only available in edt (in Australia anyway). However small purse sprays are regularly available for a couple of dollars and so the cost makes up for its fleeting nature. This is a fragrance that works well on some men as the aldehydes give it a crispness and tone down the florals.

Bautista's avatar

1881 pour Femme by Cerruti

I love this fragrance! It is the most fresh smelling perfume ever. Like nothing else I can think of. It's the kind of thing you would wear along with a crisp white or pastel colored shirt. There is nothing sweet or sickly here at all - those scents (even though I like them) tend to give me a headache if exposed to them for too long. I would say this would be a good one for the fussiest of people with supersensitive noses. If you do not like grandma, old lady, sweet, sickly, fruity or musky, then this is the scent for you. Completely un-offensive in every way. It seems to baffle people to some extent. Have had bonafide 'perfume haters' tell me they like whatever that smell it is that is coming from my direction. It is not really one that would seduce a man - but certainly creates some intrigue.

TRounder's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

No one has said anything about the real magic of Eau Sauvage. It does seem to "not last" but, there is a hidden feature in that. You can literally bath in it in the morning and by the time you leave for work you will not leave a vapor trail. All day there will only be the slightest hint of the fragrance. By the afternoon no trace of it at all. Later, in the evening when you add some body heat and friction the fragrance returns in full force. Women go nuts. This juice is made for sex.

CarolineCastillo's avatar

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Allure is lovely, but finishes too quickly. It's a shame it doesn't have the stamina to last....at least on me.

DJB's avatar

Let Me Play The Lion by LesNez

A very nice warm, woodsy spice & incense fragrance. Great for cooler weather.

15 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2011)

DJB's avatar

L'Antimatière by LesNez

I smelled pretty much nothing when I sampled it. When I decided to empty the entire vial on myself,I got a whiff of something clean that lasted a few seconds, but then was gone. What's the point?

15 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2011)

flathorn's avatar

Passage d'Enfer by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I wanted to like Passage D'Enfer, as it sounded like my type of experience. But this is one of those problematic fragrances that is too variable on me to be able to use. Sometimes it is an appealing incensy, dusky caravan scent, and other times a dank unpleasant cellar. So this is one of those doppelganger fragrances - one time I meet its higher self, another time its evil twin. I can't diss it for more than that, but it makes it unwearable for me.

15 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 27 July, 2011)

flathorn's avatar

Opôné by Diptyque

Opone was named after an ancient trade center in Somalia on the east coast of Africa. The fragrance description says it all for me: "Rounding the cape where spices are grown, under full sail, bound for the fragrant gardens of roses and saffron." Wow, I'm there on the deck with this one, pretty much literally. I can feel the warm, curiously dusty, spice laden sea wind, huge ocean vistas dropping away over the horizon, creaking wood and hemp ropes. I don't know why it sparks my imagination, but it does. I can't get enough of this fragrance sometimes. If there was any fragrance that makes the term 'past life' make sense, it's this one for me.
    This dry, warm, saffrony rose has that slight tinge of stale, dying rose vase water that usually turns me off (like Voleur De Roses), but adds to the hot equatorial inertia here. Some reviewers called it sweet, sexy, moist... but it's none of those for me. I smell dried rose petal quite vividly, which adds to the dry saffrony warmth. It's not really even a rose fragrance to my mind. It's just 'Opone' - a unique fragrance that sets my imagination free to go to those spice lands near the equator. Oftentimes it takes me to a dark, dry airless room in the heat of the day, searingly bright light peeking through the window shutters. It's not really a romantic fragrance, or a sweet one, more a 'journey' frag, an adventure - it's all heavy saffron/cumin rose dust, with deep equatorial dry earth, wood and warmed air overtones. One of those perfumes you sort of experience, not wear. So it's probably a must-sample-first fragrance. Note: if you're having problems with the heavy, dry spice of this fragrance, try layering it with Rose Barbare. They share an affinity, but RB stops short of the bold leap Opone takes, so RB can sweeten and lighten it a bit, allow you to take it out in polite company. Opone is for me, Opone+RB is to share.
    Edit: I'm mourning its passing ;(

15 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 03 October, 2012)

ComDiva's avatar

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

The start of it all for me. Flowers, spices and mystery all in a bottle. Opium was the first scent I had a gut "YES!" reaction to when I was 16, remained the only scent I wore until age 35. When my mother missed me, she would go to the nearest department store, spray "Opium" into the air in front of her, and walk into it. I don't wear it that often now, as the reconfigurd scent isn't *quite* as delicious (to me) as the original, but I still adore it. You never forget a first love, I think.

laurent's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Nomad / Moroccan Myrrh by Crabtree & Evelyn

A great little number - and a superb range of products.

A surprisingly exotic concoction.
    With teak - sandalwood - citrus - exotic ginger - green banboo.

It is warm - rich slightly sweet and adorable.
    Easy to wear good top - middle and base notes.
    Modern and chic and great all year round.
    Well lasting this collection from Crabtred & Evelyn is a great quality product but I would add that the goodies that can be purchased within the range are top nosh.
    The shaving cream is "the best shave I ever had" as well as the after shave balm - good soap too.
    Well priced - my nose and my skin have fallen for this one.
    Do I need to say more ???
    Love it !

laurent

Amen by Philosophy

Gee. I want what the to sniff what the first two people are sniffing. This frag is nothing but pine scented toilet cleaner smell in a bottle. Very un-Philosophy like. There is nothing light and sweet about it...and it lasts quite a while on your skin. As it is December as I type, I am actually spritzing this around my home just for its Christmas tree aroma.

Amazing Grace by Philosophy

Not unlikable but more of a commercial type of frag than a personal one. Light, clean, floral, musk...suited to scenting diapers and detergent. If that sounds like how you'd like to smell, you be hard pressed to do better than Amazing Grace.

Falling In Love by Philosophy

I guess I am a blackberry fan. I love all versions of L'Artisan's Mure et Musc and I love Philosophy's Falling in Love. Light, sweet, berry filled and even a little green...you can pass on the shower gel but give the frag and the body lotion a try. It's a very comforting scent that won't break the bank.

Philosophy The Fragrance by Philosophy

Actually reminded me of Mugler Cologne at first sniff, but direct comparison proved Mugler to be more bright and fresh. THE FRAGRANCE strikes me as very lemony and woody with a ginger spiked edge. I am surprised at the negative reviews I have seen online considering this is a major new release from a very popular house, but it is quite a different scent from the "Grace" line of frags. It really has grown on me. Although it is light it has great longevity and the dry down remains very pleasant for many hours.

Pappy's avatar

Fiji Fiji

Bellagio for Men by Fragluxe

Think of the most sour bitter musky ADG and you will be thinking of this fragrance.

supermarky's avatar

Malmaison by Floris

Yes clove overwhelms carnation in Malmaison and it's frustrating.

Today I tested it alongside Villoresi garafao and Santa Maria Novella carnations and noticed that it (Malmaison) definitely also has unmistakeable notes of black tea. It's very very sweet.

SMN is wonderfully pure going on but is gone within an hour of application. If it could have kept the opening up I would have, well, swapped for it by now actually!

Of these three the Villoresi is surely the victor for me. Supposedly clove is not one of the notes but definitely it seems to be a take on the classic clove 'n' carnation combo. And it's the longest lasting of the 3 as well.

ziffy321's avatar

Bright Visit by Azzaro

What an absolute friggin' ripoff. It's about 1/10 the concentration of the original and dries down to a barely detectable (thankfully) drugstore scent with barely a hint of the original "nutmeg" note. I drenched my forearm with about 10 good shots and could barely smell it fifteen minutes later.

Want the same effect as Bright Visit ...? Do a one spray "walkthrough" with the original and follow with another walkthrough of some crappy Stetson or Adidas frag.

Shamefull ...

ObsessionForMen's avatar

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

So easy to wear. An original fougere/masculine floral like no other. Eternity is my day in/day out fragrance. It is apprpriate for all occassions. It is the fragrance that I still get complimented on the most. I've had women comment that it was their favorite fragrance and men ask me what I was wearing. I also like the body products. They are lightly scented and can be used with other fragrances as well. I use daily the deordorant, body moisturizer, shower gel and after shave balm. All that and the classic Pierre Dinard bottle looks beautiful on your bathroom counter. It fits so nicely in your hand. I really like the pour bottle and splash it generously on my torso as it is never overwhelming. A perfect "10" in my book!

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

burning coffee grinds with some special dark chocolate. thick and heavy and later turning creamy, vanilla,and coconuty.a classy and sexy scent.top notes are harsh and heavy.then it turns into somethin nice. neutral to me because its not my style but the drydown is nice. respect there.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

smw didnt work for me. I don't get to enjoy the tea note , there is kinda ink smell in there. then after awhile this scent grew on me.

16 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2009)

Gold Man by Amouage

baby powder and floral notes blended nice. not for me though. thumbs down, can't get excited about baby powder and there are so many other frags I would wear over and over till the bottle is empty before I w ar this. hate to say it like that, but its true.