Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Himalaya by Creed

snow and pepper,I get that.very nice scent, only bad thing I say is that it doesn't last long at all on my skin. thumbs up and I can see why himalaya receives high marks.an icee pepper breeze.

16 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2009)

Ciel Man by Amouage

I tried to imagine spring mornin ,nothin but stale bitterness. this unique scent i feel can be paired with another scent itthen this can be beautiful.

16 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2009)

Aoud Lime by Montale

sharp, soapy, and a faint dried lime peel. not much else. thumbs down. montale has better aouds to offer.

Crystal Flowers by Montale

thumbs up.a pleasant scent for an elegant evening.nothing sharp ,only smooth floral notes and a touch of musk to keep it unisex and interesting.I've worn this a few times and it was an instant hit. but I think women wears this best. a must try especially for women

16 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 26 January, 2010)

Aoud Roses Petals by Montale

after a heavy rain.a rose pulled from the roots.moist dirt and rose pedals with water beads starting to dry. bewitched was how one described this and that is absolutely correct. and very sexy. inhailing this saying ooooh, very admiring. thumbs up

Black Aoud by Montale

took a few tries for me to decide on this one, then one day I said somethin smells interesting , realizing it was me. starts off strong but calms down but remaining dark and mysterious. thumbs up for this montale product

ifconfig's avatar

L'Homme Sage by Divine

Divine's L'Homme Sage is overwhelmingly good. Frankly, I don't know if it's worth the $120 for a 50ml bottle, but I'm terribly and sorely tempted. Brilliant, and simply so.

Kathy Z.'s avatar

Replique by Long Lost Perfume

I have the Long Lost Perfumes version of this scent. I've never tried the original, so I don't know how close it is but I am really in love with this scent. I just immediately felt at home in it. The word I alway think of is creamy. I agree with Moondeva that this is a beautiful but not overpowering oriental. Perfectly suitable for daytime. I ordered another bottle of this right away because I was afraid they might stop making it. I tire of scents very easily, but this is one I know I will always want to own. It's perfect.

Tabu by Dana

Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum! In winter when other women are wearing Opium or Spellbound, I'm wearing common old Tabu and getting hit on by men from 16 to 80.

I regularly get compliments from men when I wear this perfume, women move to the other side of the room and my mum asks if I'm wearing patchouli oil (mind you she says I smell like I've been drinking when I wear Mitsouko so that gives you an idea of her taste).

My only complaint is that I would love this in an alcohol free solid perfume as I think without the alcohol, it would be an even smoother sexier creation. Long live Tabu.

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

This is a lovely lush white floral fragrance, drying down quickly on me to a very smooth, long lasting, somewhat creamy gardenia tinged concoction. I know gardenia isn't listed in its formulation, but it sure smells like a mix of gardenia, jasmine and a slightly earthy animalic fixative that comes from the mix of amber and oakmoss. On me this is a pure pleasure, intense without being overblown, and I can easily pull it off in the daytime. Somewhat loses its lustre in very cool weather.

This is a fragrance where the only way to see if you like it is to wear it. There is no way of telling if you can get away with it just from sniffing a tester.

Tweed by Fine Fragrances & Cosmetics

This is a good dry, slightly green perfume and I agree with booklover76, excellent for winter. It seems to die in the summer heat. In some ways this reminds me of Miss Balmain minus the lily of the valley notes. Not particularly long lasting, but even at the end of the day there will be the faintest whiff coming up to greet you as you take off your jacket or sweater.

For people who like a green, not too sweet perfume but find something like Ma Griffe too sharp, this could be an elegant alternative.

White Satin by Fine Fragrances & Cosmetics

A light, smooth, easy to wear floral that works really well on blondes and people with fair complexions. On anyone else it lack punch. This really does work well with softer romantic style clothes, but is quite at home with jeans on the right lady. If you are feminine and looking for an every day floral that is easy to wear and not too assertive, then this might be the one for you.

Heidi's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

Tried this one yesterday and I didn't find it as extroardinary as I thought it would be. It starts with a smell that is very familiar (must be Allure) and further.... nothing. It just doensn't last on my skin and fades after a few minutes.

Jean-Baptiste Grenouille's avatar

Ireland Ireland

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

It's a nice scent - cool and fresh. Like someone said before, excellent longevity. Having said that I'd never wear it - I find it a bit too feminine

kewart's avatar

Le Parfum de Thérèse by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Definitely one of the most unusual perfumes I have ever had the pleasure to inhale. I find it very "yellow" (although I can't really explain what I mean by this!!) It is really mellow and sunny and succulent - just lovely.I would wear this to happy occasions such as weddings or summer balls.To me it smells very similar to mimosa at the start. It is the epitome of French chic and a true masterpiece by one of the greatest perfumers pf all time - Roudnitska.

16 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 31st December, 2011)

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Paco by Paco Rabanne

First, i used to like this- the interaction with testers of this perfume was at least satisfactory. But it's just like its follower, Paco Energy, far too powdery up to the point of not recognizing any particular notes. Yet, when i was younger, when it first appered and well into 1998-1999, it was fashionable and even elegant to wear this, adding to its wearer a both casual, sporty allure but also a touch of goth( tough by that time the term goth was neither popular nor so fashionable), at least according to conventional wisdom. The grapefruit note is just like in Paco Energy misplaced, synthetic and not bringing in crisp, clean freshness, nor pungent or mellow acidity but just a sickening sweetness. Maybe a cheap copy not only of several Ck unisex scents as scented before( tough crafted around the same unisex, postmodern casual pattern ,only worse) but also of Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes, because even if Paco does not have the same quality, even Eau d'Orange Verte starts of nice( but better than Paco) truly refined, but ends up in a stuffy, vile sweetness of rather synthetic rather than natural, raw, puristc quality.

Rochas Femme (new) by Rochas

When Napolean wrote to Josephine, "I'll be home in fifteen days; don't bathe," I imagine she smelled something like Rochas Femme upon his return. BUT, that's not necessarily a bad thing for those who like a strong, heady, sultry, bodily scent. Overall, I'd say this one is something like a classier, much more French "Kingdom" by Alexander McQueen. The Rochas woman is just as sultry as the McQueen, but in a different tax bracket (or with a more lengthy pedigree). I can't say that it smells "good," but it is certainly unique. A woman who likes Kingdom, or Bandit, would also probably like this one.

Black Jeans by Versace

My favorite, by far, of all the "Jeans" I've tried. This one definitely has the tar scent other have mentioned, but it gives it a great smoky, dark edge. Whereas the original Blue Jeans seemed too blagh and synthetic and the Baby Blue Jeans was, well, too childish... this one is just right and fits well with Versace's glamorous, if not a little edgy, aesthetic.

Erolfa by Creed

I usually don't like aquatics, as I think that Miyake and Aqua di Gio have forever turned my nose against them. BUT, wasn't I surprised to smell this one. It is definitely aquatic, but instead of that citrus-y, light sweetness that one usually gets, I got salt and brine! I felt like I could be standing in the prow of a whaling boat.

Longevity was quite nice as well. In fact, of the 5 or 6 Creed's I've owned, this was the only one that stayed on me.

Definitely worth a try, especially if you can get it at discount (I don't know if I'd pay $180 for it... but it still is by far my favorite aquatic).

The Dreamer by Versace

One of my favorite designer fragrances (along with Cuiron). Unlike many designer frags that ride that line of boring, aquatic predictability (Yes, Aqua di Gio and Miyake, I'm talking to you), this one has an added kick that is unexpected but enjoyable. Also, I think the packaging is gorgeous (who doesn't love something smattered with the Greek-key and Versace Medusa symbol???) Longevity and sillage are great as well, as others have mentioned that one has to be careful so as not to knock everybody down around you.

V/S for Men by Versace

I go back and forth with this one.

First, the packaging: neat idea but really hard to get out of the bottle. The sprayer is on an angle and hard for me to get to spray in the right direction.

Next, the juice: I love the original Versace l'homme and respect the original Versus Uomo because they both have kick without being too outlandish. This one is ALMOST too safe... it is almost a boring aquatic with a little citrus in the mix. But, there is also a little something (maybe the cedar and tonka bean) that keeps it warm and inviting. So, it's worth a try, especially since it is obtainable so inexpensively. But, I wouldn't wait in line for it.

Versus Time to Relax by Versace

Nice citrus, aquatic scent, but rather like about 1000 other citrus, aquatic scents. Definitely lacks distinction and backbone. Worst, though, is the longevity... you can seriously count the seconds as it dries and disappears on the skin. It makes Hermes Eau d'orange Verte seem like a long-laster. Not worth the effort of finding a bottle, even though it can be obtained cheaply.

Fresh Citrus by Pecksniff's

Nice scent, reminiscent of Creed's Citrus Bigarade. But, I think this one has better longevity. Also, the addition of musk in the basenotes helps to keep it from feeling a little too sweet. So, if you can find a Pecksniff's stockist (which isn't always the easiest thing to do), this one is definitely worth the try. Nevertheless, I still don't like it as well as Pecksniff's Chypre Green.

Tovah's avatar

Cristobal by Balenciaga

Upon first sniff I swooned and my jaw dropped. "Where," I wondered, "has this been all my life?" Okay, so it's been around only since 1998, but how did I manage to miss it until 2006? I have no idea. Everything about it, from its hypnotic notes to its beautiful bottle is irresistible to me. Clearly I've been in an olfactory bubble. Thanks to suggestions and reviews here on Basenotes I've been able to burst the silly thing! Cristobal is a fragrance I had concocted previously only in dreams. Its sweet ambery dry-down is seductive, and the green, warm, fig and bergamot topnotes are absolutely uplifting. It's perfect; perfume paradise. I'm in love.

Words's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Cold, dirty, bloody oranges. Love it!

SniffQ's avatar

Philosykos by Diptyque

I love figs. Rich and sweet, but not too sweet. But like green tea fragrances, I get the idea that perfume noses decided they would settle on what a fig smells like and then make variations of that for fig perfumes. To me, it doesn't smell like figs, it smells like. . .dry grass and tomato leaves. I love sniffing at the bottle, but I wouldn't wear it.

SniffQ's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

So wonderful were the reviews that I did the stupid thing--I couldn't find a sample, but all the notes seemed perfect, so I ordered a full bottle.

It is a lovely fragrance,interesting and rich, but my chemistry takes the musk and blows it up all out of proportion. And on me, that isn't pleasant.

The hay and leather is absolutely yummy, and the sweet, which could have been too heavy, is tempered by honey, amber and musk.

If only I had purchased Arabie instead--you know, the one all my friends talked me out of. Proving once more that no matter what it smells like on someone else, if you haven't tried it yourself, don't buy a full bottle.

jelt's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Amazing. I first got this because it lasted really long. A single spray lasted the whole day. Then I started using it, and in a spade of two days got compliments from four different girls. One of them couldn't stop smelling my hair, where I'd sprayed it, and kept asking me what shampoo I used (ha). The other three were like 'who's that who smells so nice?'. Never had so many compliments before. You can really do no wrong with LJ.

kate13's avatar

Jovan Musk by Jovan

oh this is so good! When i fist put it on, it reminds me of chanel no. 5 (which i don't really care for too much) but after wearing it for a while it smells fabulous.
    Very soft and "round". Nothing sharp, strong or artificial about this fragrance. Try it! the oil version is on my christmas list.

kate13's avatar

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

My ex boyfriend gave this to me after finding it on top of someone's locker at school. I didn't know anything about this perfume, the brand, or how expensive it is! So I can give you my unbiased opinion. (honestly if I knew it was so expensive, I probably would have tried harder to like it)
    My mom didn't like it(but she hates everything) and my bf said I smelled "like bubbles" when i wore it.
    This is a really nice fragrance (not amazing) It lasted a long time, which would be good if I really liked it. I felt it was hard on my nose and made it almost hard to breathe when I had it on me. I had the bottle for only two or three years but recently threw it out because it started to go bad!
    I think Jovan musk and Body Fantasies Fresh White Musk are nicer! Does any one else agree?