Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

kate13's avatar

Curious by Britney Spears

I think a lot of people don't give this a chance because it has Britney's name attached to it. But if you can get past that, maybe you can see how great a fragrance this is! I tried it on at the mall when it first came out and for the rest of the day I couldn't stop smelling myself. I realized I had to have it. It makes me feel good to wear it. My man always wants to be buy it for me because he likes nothing better. Maybe its the perfume that helped make him fall in love with me because I was wearing this constantly when we first started going out! I bought the 3.3 atomizer bottle. That was a mistake because I didn't use it up fast enough and it got stale quickly, turned yellow, and the spray hole got clogged with crusty green stuff! very weird. other than that, this is highly recomended!

kate13's avatar

Vita by Beth Terry Creative Universe

This fragrance smells pleasant. it is not great though. Just fruity, light and sweet. It would be good if it lasted longer. It seemed to have lasted only fifteen minutes! Which is kind of pointless...

miguel's avatar

Slovenia Slovenia

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

I used to wear it in huge amounts back in high school when it was first introduced to market. A 50 mL bottle would dissapear within a month. Than couple of years later my boyfriend started using it. To be honest I didn't like on him that much. It smelt so much sweeter on my skin. After we broke up I kind of forgotten about it (the perfume, not the guy). Than couple of days ago, I found it in a store. Did they change it?! Was I actually wearing the same scent? I smelt so much better in 90's. But then again maybe that cheeting bastart have scanged my perception of Roma. Newer the less it's very masculine scent, very distinct. And yes very sweet. Not like A*Men though. And not a "formal night in an opera" scent, but ideal for a business meeting.

It still brings up good High School memories;))

Style In Play by Lacoste

I tried this today and despised it. I know people say this is for younger folk, but as an 18 year old, I thought it was foul. It smelt fruity - far too fruity...that's about it. Thankfully it disappeared rather quickly. Having said that I can understand why it would be suitable for the gym. It IS very fresh...I'll definately pass though

MelleSoso's avatar

France France

Polo by Ralph Lauren

The one I wear every day - except when it's hot. Fits me superbly yet surprises everyone - it is a MAN's cologne after all - and I am sophisticatedly female. I discovered a big chunk of myself when I was offered Polo - 4 bottles later, the love affair continues...

Memphis35's avatar

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

Well I tryed this a few times on my skin previous to purchase and I couldn't get the Dunhill Desire for a Man similarity at all. Now that I have applied it on me in a decent quantity, lo and behold, Dunhill Desire for a Man has mysteriously appeared on my skin!
    I guess judging by the range of similarities that people have sited, this one must a be a bit of a cameleon!

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Marbert Gentleman by Marbert

Quite an unimpressive grassy scent, awfully green, but nothing more. A bit like Sisley's Eau de Campagne due to the same overdone herbal note, yet much more woodier drydown and, in Marbert Gentleman's defense, a little longer lasting, a more woody and masculine finnish. More classy notes, maybe a hint of not so " green" aromatic touches would have made this scent significantly better, a scent that actually starts of nice( yet not exquisite, perfect or groundbreaking) and is so little structured that it ends up unfinnished( or at least giving the impression of being so).

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Tabac Man by Mäurer & Wirtz

Dark, but not as subtle as the classy chypre Tabac original. The heavy, "dark" notes are so powerful, so that others are almost impossible to smell. Long, but rather stuffy drydown, exhaling a too powerful notion of old-days macho. And yes, like stated before, it is hard to believe that it contains any tobacco. Strange combination that would gain from its lasting power differently would it be differently abled- more complex and more refined, that is.
    A certain indecesive mix of too strong, yet too limited range of fragrance notes.

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Ralph Hot by Ralph Lauren

It's a nice scent and one of the few I like from Ralp Lauren. It's all yummy yummy goodness but on me it smells like vanilla meets melon which is not that nice. For a few days this would be a wonderful scent for me but sadly I don't see myself wearing it every day.

mysticaldeath's avatar

Herrera for Men Sensual Vetiver by Carolina Herrera

i love and fondly revisit the original herrera, but my body chemistry has changed and it smells sour after drying down, this one the Vetiver keeps it much dryer and richer A+

rach2jlc's avatar

1872 for Men by Clive Christian

I don't like this one at all. It is somewhat warm, but what others call "richness" I call "butteriness." For some, the notes blend together to give relaxation, but the mixture on me smells cloying, thick, and yet strangely short lived. All in all, not something I'd spend even 1/5 of what it costs. If you want warm and rich, buy 3 bottles of Patchouli Patch instead.

Renaissance_Man's avatar

Vetiver Sport by Guerlain

I don't usually go for variations on original items but this is an exception. It opens with more citrus than the original (one of my favorite classics). There may be some mint in there too. The vetiver note itself is cleaner and the base is generally more soapy and cleaner than the original. For example, I don't get as much tobacco. It's very easy to wear--obviously better for warmer weather. Alas, it's a limited release and as far as I know available only at Sephora.

tvlampboy's avatar

Vanille Tonka by Nicolaï

Here's what I get, pure and simple: M7 mating with Bellodgia. I can't get any more succinct than that.

Chaz by Revlon

Total 70's enigma. Does anyone remember what this smelled like? What I remember is Tom Selleck, pre-Magnum P.I. as the man from Chaz. That chest hair! That Speedo! That mustache! If the juice smelled anything like Eau de Tom it had to have been awesome! Does Tom realize it was because of this ad campaign that he was the unofficial poster-stud for the Gay Revolution? And did Revlon realize that Ralph Lauren stole their Chaz mojo with Chaps? (right down to the name...they must've settled out of court).

Halston 1-12 by Halston

It would be sad if Casa de Halston discontinued 1-12, but it would be understandable. 1-12 has always been overshadowed by its evil twin, Z-14. The identical bottles have never helped 1-12's cause either. Now it seems that Halston Inc. has gotten behind Z-14 big time, what with the NASCAR connection and the free hat with purchase (really, how tacky! I bet Halston would be aghast. Or maybe he would think it was pure genius, who knows? (he definitely had his white trashy side!) So, 1-12 has been flooding the discount bins at local low-end fashion chains probably en route to wherever Halston is now. Which is great news for lovers of 1-12, of which I am one. Actually, I thought it was all ready gone, but one day I found a big bottle of it in Ross and I wasn't even looking for it! It was kind of by accident, which is the same story as to my original circa 1983 acquisition. In truth I had asked for Z-14 for Christmas and wound up with 1-12, a mistake anyone could make, especially my mother. I ended up loving it.
    Halston 1-12 is the very definition of "crisp". It's like the olfactory equivalent of a starched shirt. But it's not fussy or twee. Just clean, almost to the point of medicinal, but then after a while a kind of sexy note kicks in. It's kind of intellectual, if a fragrance can be that. Nothing like it's dirty older brother (he was born a minute earlier, and thus got all the attention). It's one of the few colognes you can use with a heavy hand and still not overpower innocent passersby. And it seems to change with the amount you use. A little or a lot, either way it's great. It even layers really well with Z-14, if you're feeling kinky. Or thoughtful. Or thoughtfully kinky.
    The bottle is fabulous too. Pure 70's (oooh, that smoky brown glass!) but a classic for the ages. It has great "hand feel" too! Not much of a fan of the other Halston's though.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Perhaps the King of Cologne, and I say this not because Polo is the best smelling of all time (it's up there, but it's not)but because it was the first cologne for men that ushered in the CRAZE. I have a theory. Polo came out in 1978, at the height of disco when it seemed that it was finally okay for men to act like women (in that even the most MACHO of men could preen and dance, and blow-dry their hair and wear jewelery without discretion and splash and spray and spritz cologne with abandon). That, combined with the Golden years of the GAY revolution-where millions of gay men could finally move their passion for parfume out of the closet-facillitated this craze. And Polo was there. Up 'til then, most men would slap on a little Aqua Velva or Old Spice or Brut and not make a big deal out of it, maybe even still be a little ashamed that they liked smelling good (if those scents could be argued to be good...but you know what I mean) But it wasn't until all these factors converged that the VAST MAJORITY OF AMERICAN MEN would create the CRAZE. Didn't it seem that around 1982 people like your Dad or your Uncle Lou or even your grand-father were asking for cologne for Christmas or marching down to the local department store for a bottle of "the good stuff"? That was the CRAZE! And what did all these men reach for? Why, the $36.00 four ounce bottle of Polo! That's why it was the KING! That's why everyone and their grandfather wore it! It was strong, but men were used to slapping on palmfuls of cologne, so all these men put on way too much of the stuff. And that's my theory (hold for APPLAUSE). Actually, it was one of my first high-end scents. What was I, like sixteen? Way too mature a scent for a teen, but hey...I still have a soft spot for the stuff.
    What else can I say? It's the King. It's an all time classic. Yes, it's super strong...almost a concentrate and so distinctive it's almost too distinct (thus, the "cliche" diss). This is one scent that I think would really benefit from a "light" version, maybe turn the pine way down and tweak it a bit so that it's not too different from the original, just lighter. I would buy that. Maybe a Summer version.

ktc's avatar

Calandre by Paco Rabanne

This is my favorite fragrance of all time. I found it funny that it has similarities to Rive Gauche because that was a favorite when I was a teen. I also like Metal, from what I can tell it is being produced again. I had tried to get some a couple years ago and found that it had been discontinued. Or so they said.

ktc's avatar

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

On first review I don't care for this fragrance. I didn't like the top note and after the dry down I don't find it interesting.

mochi227's avatar

Ta'If by Ormonde Jayne

This is the second Ormonde Jayne fragrance I've tested and they both have very poor longevity on me. Ta'if sounds great on paper, but worn it smells exactly like Cacharel's Amor Amor. It's a very "red" scent: the roses are honeyed up with the addition of dates; the spicy pink pepper and saffron top notes hint at something mysterious, lasting, and complex. Too bad that doesn't pan out.

Ta'if leaves as quickly as it comes in. It's a pretty scent, great for an evening out (or in: it's not that formal) and probably best in fall, although I could hear it on a cool spring evening as well as applied lightly on a summer day. I just wish it were more interesting.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I tested this today and was initially shocked - It's VERY unique. I am definitely buying this, however. The smell reminded me of incense and chocolate - that may sound strange but it works extremely well and lasts forever. I was walking in cold weather for a few hours well after I applied the fragrance and every now and then I smelt the rich fragrance on me - a reminder that it was still there...it's an excellent choice for cold weather and it just lasts and lasts. It's a daring scent for sure, but if you haven't tried it I urge you to. No matter what you'll be very surprised.

Cool Water by Davidoff

This was my first fragrance and to be fair it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be on this site. It's simple and sharp and I'd recommend it to young guys if it weren't so overexposed. Overall, it's pleasant, refreshingly cool/sharp, very masculine, safe and very very boring.

sallieC's avatar

Dior Addict 2 by Christian Dior

great fragrance, really fresh at first with a sense of grapefruit that softens quickly. Helps me to wake up in the morning and feel like I have my game going on.

clarala's avatar

Ralph by Ralph Lauren

I'm pretty much in the middle of the target age range and I really like this one! The apple leaves in it's especially lovely and it isnt sickly sweet or overpowering. I too am suprised at all the bad reviews!

clarala's avatar

212 Sexy by Carolina Herrera

I tried this as one of my friends has it. I find it alright, but a bit simplistic and I wouldnt describe it as sexy. I dont like it enough to buy it.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Fabulous, rich and sophisticated citrusy topnote that mellows into a short lived middle. The drydown is OK but too powdery. This is supposed to be a formal scent but I reach for it in the mornings when I want a citrus burst to wake me up. As good as Chanel Pour Monsieur or Eau Sauvage and if you want a fresh yet sort of formal scent for the office, this is it. Comes in a long lasting EDP as well as EDT.

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

What a great scent. There IS a predominant smell of nutmeg throughout, but it really grows on you. Longevity is only average but I have had comments of smelling 'fresh' and different. One of my favourites and indeed a classic.

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

This reminds me of my childhood, along with Hermes Jardin en Mediterranee due to their fig notes. I grew up climbing fig trees on the Mediterranean and thus have to love this scent. Wish it was a wee bit stronger as it fades quickly and is really a summer scent. Is fresh and woody and high quality but I wish it was just a bit more special.

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

I so want to like this as I am a French house fan. I spray it, smell the initial second of scent and then am reminded of the main note: maple. It is too sweet, edible smelling and not sexy, sophisticated or manly. Maple shouldn't be in a fragrance, not a man's anyway. Would be a negative if it weren't Lancome...

rach2jlc's avatar

Emporio Armani White He by Giorgio Armani

The fragrance snob in me that scoffs at Aqua di Gio and Armani Code wants to turn away from this one, but nevertheless WHITE is really quite pleasant and unique. It is light, fresh, and sporty without being boring (I think the white musk helps) and an excellent scent for daywear in spring and summer. It doesn't last a terribly long time, but still goes through a nice transition from crispness to a soft warmth. Along with the Hermes Jardins, this is one of my favorite light scents.

Redcomet's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I'd say, don't believe the hype. Although this is a pretty nice Gourmand. It's strong, sweet and has a lot of character. But that singing tar note comes off as a synthetic mess to me. I'll wear the stuff from time to time, but I won't reach for it if you know what I mean.