Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I wanted so much to like Egoiste, I really did. Seeing how I read the numerous rants about the merits of this perfume, I got a decant. It's definitely not bad. And it surely does ooze class. It just doesn't click with me though. I think it's the rose, I get a feeling this stuff comes off a little feminine. Althought that isn't neccessarily bad, I just don't detect the spices as much as I would like because of the dominating rose. Alas, there's still BdP.

Envy for Men by Gucci

This stuff smells like sex. It's sweet and intoxicating in all the right places. It is also like a little brother to GPH. GPH is the successful, classy, business exec of the Gucci family and Envy is the rich party boy who just got out of buisness school. There is one catch for those interested in this fragrance though. You have to be cocky to wear this stuff. With that said, enjoy, but be warned, this stuff is some powerful mojo.

Greenergy by Givenchy

Having tried the ultra-feminine Insense and the extremely mediocre Givenchy Pour Homme, I had little hope for this Givenchy which sure looked like a knockoff of Insense. I was sure surprised. This stuff is great. It's a wonderful Green fragrance that exemplifies chypres. It even has a somewhat calming effect on me when I smell it. Great spring, summer scent for those who wouldn't mind a little more green everywhere.

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Having enjoyed Cool Water one point in my fragrance lifetime, I decided to give this highly regarded fragrance a try. What a fragrance it is! It's strong, sweet, and musky in all the right ways. It's very old school and I love it because of that. Unlike Egoiste and Ungaro III, I think the rose blends perfectly in this concoction, making Zino even more masculine. I wouldn't call this Musc Ravageur lite, but it's pretty damn close.

Geir by Geir Ness

This stuff is good, but not good enough to deserve this much hype. It is fresh and sweet. It's light and airy. It's inoffensive and gets plently of compliments. It's boring. Very boring. It's great for what it is, an inoffensive scent everyone, even the often snobbish tastes of our own (myself included of course) can enjoy. But, once again, it is BLAND.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

AMAZING STUFF. I think of M7 as a GPH lite with some sugar on top. It's sweet and spicy. Although it's not as woody or spicy as GPH, another Ford masterpiece, it is fairly potent. It's also sweeter than its Gucci cousin. However, I find M7 more versatile and less formal than GPH. Easy on the trigger though buddy, you'll likely choke someone to death if you spray too much. Awesome fragrance. Not to mention it's my favorite YSL.

vampixi's avatar

Heiress by Paris Hilton

Its definitely one you love to hate, just like the lady herself. Its addictive but sick at the same time, I kept finding myself smelling it and liked it, but wouldn't want others to think I wore it. Very sweet, slighty obnoxious, fun bottle, very girly. Smells like her music sounds. :)

Jolie Madame by Pierre Balmain

Jolie Madame is my first Chypre since I have started really getting into perfumes. It is taking me some time to get used to the fact that it changes so often on me and maybe that's the fun of it. I have sampled a lot of Chypres lately and have so far chosen four and this was one of the four. It is hard to describe because, like I said, it changes a lot. It starts off rather sharp, then mellows to something like a spring garden, greens and flowers, then it has a beautiful sort of satiny, flowery, leather.

Carolina by Carolina Herrera

This has the one of most beautiful fruit smells, I have smelled. It really does smell like a fresh bowl of fruit in a very sophisticated way and it is done very well. It is very feminine. I just wish it would last longer on me. Others have said it lasts on them. Maybe if I use a lot of oil first.

Coriandre by Jean Couturier

This is one of four chypres I have bought lately and this one is not as fun or changing as the others. It starts off smelling like coriander and stays smelling like coriander so to really love this, I would think, you'd really have to love coriander. It is not an unpleasant fragrance, but one I would not get again.

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

My husband came out of the bathroom with this on and it smelled to me of my Burberry Brit. I must have an odd nose, but I really do love it.

treazurekitten's avatar

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

As several men have commented here, Dunhill Editions is fantastic on women, too! I was immediately attracted to the aromatic herbal nature of this scent. It smells to me like a fine dry incense, with sappy green wood resins. The lemon sage and lavender give this incredible scent its edge. And it lingers all day, like a memory of a lover's kiss...

ruby3's avatar

Armani Mania for Women by Giorgio Armani

A spicy-citrus scent that comes across as clean somehow. My husband loves it on me. I love the lasting power; it stays on all day and even into the next. Great for winter.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Definitevely not for shy girls.. It reminds me pink sugar cotton you can buy in Fairs and local parties.. Strong and invassive but enigmatic as well. Like a bad nightmare.. You assume a lot of ego pouring this scent on you although you get no distinction because lot of girls use it.. Thierry Mugler has become the number one on statistics type "you can love it or hate it" For girls assuming the idea of being distinctive as well as sweet I´d better try Gucci´s Rush or Rush 2

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Well, at first it smells like a big amount of Pine resin with tons of lemon, but once it´s being evapourated, you can perceive a lot of armony through all the notes: citrics, herbs, fresh sea foam.. And there is one thing that you can take in mind.. is oriental as a scent should be, but more of a far East. You can say this is obvious, we´re talking of Kenzo.. but maybe the overall impression of this scent is that you can transmit serenity, equilibrium and zero complexity, totally Zen. You can bet that this the opposite parfum that you would use to look for being a ´Here I am´. That makes Kenzo the ideal couterpartner for other fragrances in your wardrobe to do other moments.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Way too aged to me.. I really like the woody notes but this is as invassive as Dior´s Eau Sauvage.. Definitevely not for young boys unless you need to demonstrate that your father is an YSL fan. Mention apart, the design is sober and brilliant.. a lot of class!

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

I owned Allure Sport months ago and I ended up very quickly due to the great equilibrium that offers. Polo Black (RL) has something in common with this fragrance, maybe citrics very well mixed up with that point of edgy spicy sensation that Chanel does so well. I have to be some criticist with packaging design, it has some of the worst ideas put together: a cheap silvered plastic wrap all around, a bad cap.. etc. In the end, I really think this an all around scent, you can pour it on every day of the year.

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

To me, its has some marginal reminiscences of Polo Black mixed with tons of Crave.. First impressions smelled like woody. Once dried down it´s becomes Crave citric typical notes. So this is an improved Crave edition to be true. Calvin Klein has no actual inspirational direction in its fragrances but tons of advertising do the rest.. There´s the same direction of opinion in some circles, Eternity here.. Euphoria there.. and it´s seems like if Calvin Klein would be the best parfum maker..

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

First impressions of this fragrance are green notes and a touch of fresh acid apple. Few minutes after pouring you can perceive a mild choco/milk sensation with tons of mint. So this goes to After Eight popular chocolates lovers.. Very Irresistible is done for you! Someone told me not to pour generous amounts on me because it´s a strong one parfum, but after giving some walks I truly believe this vary from skin to skin. Overall, you have the impression of a sunny Spring day going for mountains and cascades, with chocolate, mints, and hazelnuts in your plastic rucksack to spend the day... Beautiful fragrance! Maybe a unisex target if you desire. Applause too for the package and bottle designer. Cold sober but ellegant.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

This one is to remind me when I open the back cavity of my electric guitars.. It´s smells like wet wood, so nice and exact that would believing you´re sanding a wood blank or similar.. Maybe a bit stronger compared to other branches but this a rule of thumb when you´re talking about Dior. Middle and Heart notes are slightly different. You can assume this is a dry one..

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Very very sweet as well as incissive.. It has notes of chocolate or something like cherry sirup. Once you pour some on your body, you can be floating in this scent for hours.. Undoubtably masculine, invassive and agrassive in terms of feromones. My girlfriend says it "turns her on" so you can be well concerned of what you want.. It reminds me a similar sensation of A·Men (TM). I agree with some opinions saying this is not for the aged man, yes.. maybe is for the boy that seeks a little bit of ego display. All in all I like it, so does my baby! It last for hours and hours, even a day or half and a day without loosing notes.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

I´ve just bought it after long time testing. It´s very well balanced in all his notes, and first impression is that you´re really prepared to display amounts of charm. To me, this scent has some exotic fruits very well combinated with some lighter noble esences without being invassive, it´s more like a good companion to freshness.. This is the reason because I find it very irresistible. It´s as if you were needed of being actual, class touched as a young man should be. Once you take a shower pour some Polo Black scent on you and breath fondly. No need to explain that this one is a "must have" if you want to stay in tune with modern combinations reminding exotic influences and inspire ellegance without loosing youth. One of a kind in terms of ingredients balance.

What About Adam by Joop!

This has to be my least favourite Joop! scent. But in saying that, it's still good enough to own, because to date, Joop! can do no wrong by me. For the first half hour, it's like you've been juicing Grapefruit all day, which can be a great thing if you love Grapefruit, or horrid if you don't. But when the dry-down starts, it develops into that quirky signature Joop! scent--sweet, spicy and sexy. For me, it was certainly not an instant love, in fact I was quite put off by it, since Joop! had always pleased me, but after taking the time to get to know Adam, I can definitely say that we're going to be friends for a long time.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

This reminds me of something from my childhood in the Pacific Islands. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but I like it. I find it to have a very soapy dry-down, even though others may not, and I can't say I usually like that, but in Gucci pour Homme--it works. A definite buy for me!

New Zealand New Zealand

Joop! Jump Beach Clubbing by Joop!

Oh, Joop! You and your quirkiness! I can't get enough of this. I rate it, hands down, the best summer scent ever. Even better than the original, this sweet, candy-like elixir of sunshine and happiness can put even the most down person in a good mood. I'm not sure if there is a Coconut note in this, but upon dry down I swear I can smell it ever so subtly. But then again, I have a history of being able to smell notes in fragrances that aren't actually there. But that aside, Joop! Jump Beach Clubbing is a complete winner, especially for the guy who isn't too macho to smell so, so sweet.

Chedwick's avatar

Poison Ivy by Demeter Fragrance Library

Like Randolph, I have never stopped to smell the poison ivy. This does smell of an old garden taken over by ivy. Not bad at all.

's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

I let Vetitvers by Guerlin, Creed & Jo Malone dry down on my skin and bake in the sun and dry in salt sweat. If I'm outside all day then it's reasonable. Only Guerlin's captivated me. There wasn't anything pretty in there, maybe even dirty? Not interested in getting compliments, but I do feel that confidence that was alluded to below. It's a standard for me now.

rustycage's avatar

Wood & Spices by Montale

Smells like a less synthetic version of Dunhill Desire Blue.

rustycage's avatar

Royal Aoud by Montale

High-end insect repellant(L'Off Deep Woods). I wonder if there’s any Deet in there? It's not really that bad but I guess I'm just not an oud fan. It does have good silliage and longevity.

emad's avatar

Iran Iran

Noir by S.T. Dupont

as mentioned on the bottle
    top notes
    lavander - fresh spear mint - cardamon
    middle notes
    mace - clove -cedarwood
    base notes
    vetyver - cashmeran - hazelnut wood

very classsy black bottle and very nice smell i liked it alot

20th December, 2006