Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

U4eahh! 2.43 by Yosh

I was expecting something wonderful, and got cheap bazaar fragrance oil, horror of horrors. Not only did it not inspire euphoria, it was harsh enough to make me feel kind of lousy. I washed it off after it refused to meld with my skin or evolve into anything better.

Balsam by Agraria

Ingredients: Sweet Fir Balsam, California Redwood, Cypress, hint of French Sage, Wild Rhododendron, bouquet of white flowers.
    Balsam has a nicely fresh, realistic, fir balsam opening. It has that slight resinous, spicy green note of the real thing. This is not a conifer scent, but focuses on the resin. It's a pleasingly natural smelling fragrance, not one-dimensional and evolves within the balsam framework. A touch of light floral comes out in the drydown, as does a sparky balsamic note, which is slightly reminiscent of bay rum (pimenta) and works well in a balsam. I adore a well-done natural smelling fragrance, and I ordered a bottle of this as soon as I sampled it. Recommended for natural fragrance fans.

Metal Jeans Men by Versace

Exquisite trough its subtlety and that kind of modernity that is never too futuristic. As mentioned before, it is a summer scent, suitable for daytime and casual/sporty wear, tough it would be good for a night out, provided the circumstances are not too formal. It smells icy, clean( so there is a certain suggestion of metal), subtle and sweet in a balanced, round way, but i also love its watery notes, bearing also that certain icy quality but also a gourmand-edible note. Daring, easy to wear and unexpectedly trendy and classy for a casual scent, a bit different from the generic Hugo, Acqua di Gio, CK and Cool Water popular culture and mass-market phenomenon.

kewart's avatar

Habanita by Molinard

This is the scent of Bizet's Carmen - warm, sultry and sexy, -so much more than the opening would lead you to expect. After a somewhat masculine start the subsequent melange of some of my favourite notes (orris, lilac, sweet tobacco, vanilla and heliotrope) is truly beguiling.I have only tried the EDT, but am in awe of this stage of the pyramid. The drydown includes my beloved cedarwood and tonka bean and stays close to the skin for hours.
    This is a perfume to wear in the colder months and in the evenings. I am lucky in that it suits my chemistry.

kewart's avatar

Nirmala by Molinard

When I was trying out the Molinard perfumes in their Nice boutique this was the on that spoke to me the most. It seemed to suit the atmosphere of the riviera - citrus, floral and sparkling like the light down there. I felt fresh and uplifted as soon as i spritzed it on. This is a "people-pleaser" kind of scent and Habanita's goody two-shoes" little sister.

Sacrebleu by Nicolaï

Of the five or six PdNs I've tried, this one is my favorite. Like most PdN, it changes greatly from start to finish, but this one retains that class, warmth, and slight sweetness all the way to drydown. As well, it's longevity is quite good.

It is quite feminine, given a fruity accord (raspberry maybe?) but it is no more feminine than Rykiel Homme and infinitely more classy and warm.

Definitely worth a try.

Vanille Tonka by Nicolaï

Vanilla based fragrances are often too sweet for me, but this one from PdN does it well, taming it with a subtle but earthy base. I'd love it if I were a bigger fan of Tonka bean; unfortunately I'm not and so as it dries down I start to turn away.

Nevertheless, it is definitely unique, warm, inviting, and worth a try. If you like a darker, warmer vanilla and you like tonka, then this is almost certain to be a hit.

New York by Nicolaï

Chameleon is right! I went through more emotions with this fragrance than any I've ever tried. I started off LOVING it, the citrus was nice, not overpowering, and mixed in was something classy and warm. Soon, however, the powder came in full force and it was so cloying that I said to myself that I'd never wear it again. Then, a few hours later, the powder softened and I smelled some sweetness (amber?) as well, and the finish was more tolerable. I tried it a few more times after that and finally decided that the average of all of my emotions with it is just that this one isn't for me. Still, though, worth a try and definitely an innovative and interesting scent.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Vanille Amande by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

This juice smells EXACTLY like the liquour "Amaretto". It's not for me, but some may enjoy it.

zenpiper's avatar

Halston 1-12 by Halston

The opening reminds me a little of Eau d'Hermes with its mix of chypre and citrus; then it gets darker and more complex and better than the Hermes. And yet, I am not smitten with either one. Neither seems quite finished. It is as thought the perfumer got each to a point and then just stopped. Z-14 is less mysterious but more complete. That said, 1-12 would probably be fine for afternoon gatherings or a day at the races. It's inoffensive and pleasant.

zztopp's avatar

Cabochard by Grès

Notes: bergamot, mandarin, galbanum, ylang ylang, jasmine, Bulgarian rose, clove, oakmoss, tobacco, musk, iris, sandalwood, vetiver, leather, castoreum, patchouli and labdanum.

A bit of history first: Cabochard was created in 1942 for Madame Gres, a Parisian fashionista. After reading the notes list, I was ready for an olfactory equivalent of the Katrina disaster. After sniffing my way through a decant of Cabochard, I was impressed by this classic fragrance which I had formerly classified as obtuse.

Experiencing the fresh mandarin which opens the fragrance, you wouldnt guess that this is actually a fairly complex chypre. The high-pitched citrus notes blend with rose and jasmine to create an alluring floral blend which soon gives way to green notes. The green notes providing an interesting diversion, but aren't really the heart of the fragrance - so its good that they are fairly fleeting making way for the smoky balsamic leathery goodness that Cabochard is so famous for. Cabochard is a green chypre at heart. While the latter half of the notes list might indicate a full blown animalic leather snapping assault to the sense, I found it surprising well behaved with just the right amount of animalic leathery goodness and coolness. Coolness as in feeling fresh and minty. Not minty as in the fluoride toothpaste substitute that is Penhaligons LP#9, but minty in the way that animalic and leather notes are very well counterbalanced by the clove note. I didnt expect to like it as much as I did. It was almost like going to a Paul McCartney concert and actually enjoying the music.

Cabochard is an influential classic, and it shows in the way its composition unravel infront of your nostrils. The blend of fresh citrus, rich floral and earthy green notes all leading to the cool animalic leather accord is a textbook example of what good perfumery is all about. If you are a looking for a green chypre, Cabochard should be at the top your list.

ModderRhu87's avatar

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

I've never actually tried this on my own skin, but I agree with lalaloquy; it really does seem like every third person is wearing this. I've always really liked this one because, excuse my cliche, it does smell like a "just out of the shower" kind of smell. However, it's got a little bit of a papery element to it. Or cotton balls or something. Am I crazy, or does anyone else smell this?

ModderRhu87's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

The whole idea of Angel is cute. The name, the bottle, the dessert notes. Unfortunately, when you actually smell it, it's pretty bad.

To me, it smells just like the fake, sour chocolate you would smell from a scratch and sniff sticker. I have yet to find a good chocolate perfume. Masaki Matsushima's Chocolat has that scratch and sniff sticker thing going on too. I'm looking for a rich, intense, salty kind of chocolate.

Oh well. I didn't expect much anyway, since it's so popular :P

tvlampboy's avatar

Cologne Sologne by Nicolaï

You're both right -- THIS is what 4711 SHOULD have smelled right! Sparkling. Effervescent. PERFECT summer scent. Likely not too long lasting on others, either, true that. But ANYTHING'S more long lasting than the much hyped (and utterly worthless) 4711. Imagine that which is nice in 4711 (and there is some, yes) and magnify it and make it better quality. There you'll have Sologne.

CuyahogaJoe's avatar

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

Two thumbs WAY up. By far, my finest blind buy to date. Hard to believe this perfect jewel has been discontinued. Jean Patou is the most passionately romantic masculine fragrances I've ever experienced...a true "Lady Killer". Be careful where you wear this one. I'll be purchasing the few remaining drops that I'm aware of, but if you can find it...Buy it!!!

ifconfig's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I have to agree, somewhat solemnly, that after reading some of the references to makeup bag smells, I made that connection with Dior Homme as well.

That said, thankfully, it is not enough to put me off this most excellent fragrance! This stuff has quality written all over it. The sillage is wondrous and I feel very nice and sated when I wear it.

The longevity can be a problem, from experience, and the first time I wore it, it disappeared from my wrist within a few (3) hours. However, later on that evening, I continued to get the amazing drydown of Homme more than eight hours after! I cannot explain it, but longevity is no longer a problem for me at this point.

Love this one wholeheartedly! High marks indeed.

treazurekitten's avatar

Sublime by Jean Patou

Loooove Sublime. On me, it is creamy, fizzy. A royal smelling incense provides the cream and an over-ripe yet green, sappy pineapple brings the fizz. I agree with the earlier reviewer who used the term "golden", it truely is a magical fragrance, I find it quite addictive.

luckylouie's avatar

Patou For Ever by Jean Patou

A crisp green floral with decent staying power. In many ways this reminds me of Trussardi with brighter fruity top notes and minus the deep smoky drydown. If you find it on sale cheap it's worth getting as a good daytime fragrance that will only need one possible application after lunch. However, try Trussardi Light or Ma Griffe for similar effects.

The fragrance remains true from the first spray to the last sniff. There is very little distinction between top, middle and base notes. After half an hour or so the fruitiest notes have toned down to reveal more of the florals, but that's about it.

Overall a decent fragrance but one that I won't particularly miss now it's discontinued.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

There I was with her in a fragrance shop, trying out new fragrances. She told me that this is her favorite and asked me to try this on. So I did.

A nice, refreshing, airy, lively scent was what I had expected, but the experience was more like that of wearing a detergent or a toilet cleaner. Made me wonder why it is so popular. Perhaps the majority of the people like the smell of air fresheners?

On the other hand, it *was* midwinter when I tried it on. So I'll give it the benefit of doubt and, perhaps, try again in the summertime.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I've tried it on just twice so far but I can already see the beginning of a tumultuous love affair.

The first time I wore it I absolutely adored it. If I had had the money I would have probably bought a bottle right away. The roundness and depth were to say the least impressive and seduced me right away. I've always been fond of eucalyptus. Yet, this doesn't seem to be the same eucalyptus at all but something far beyond it. It reminds me of a girl that I used to know who always wore a similar (or perhaps even the same?) scent. To me, Body Kouros doesn't seem to be very masculine at all. For some reason I associate this fragrance strongly with the color turquoise.

The second time, however, seemed to put my feet on the ground again. Now, the thick, lingering, overwhelming sweetness was almost too much. For a while I thought that I would never touch this stuff again. But still, a day later, I feel myself craving it... I need to have it. As soon as possible.

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

My grandfather used to wear the aftershave and that's where my associations lie with this fragrance. My bottle was bought for a special "dress up as if you were old" party and I ended up having it.

I wear it when I want to feel warm and soft and cozy.

Also the first fragrance ever that I received compliments about!

squirrelmilk's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Yes...it is truly feminine and powdery and
    very baby like...but it's a nice change from the dark and heavy scent we know as the "masculine" scent

squirrelmilk's avatar

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

I melt everytime i smell this...as a guy,
    everytime i get a chance to go to a dept. store to see scents...this would be the first or second scent i would ask for a sample just to smell...
    amazing theme and concept on the name and bottle construction...
    it is a floral explosion...
    i forced one of my friends to put it on...and for the rest of the day...shopping around the mall...i could still smell it...
    perfect...

Chestnut & Vetiver by Wickle

This was the quintessential 'Meh' fragrance for me. It wasn't bad, but it just didn't do anything for me. It has a warm nut and cool vetiver opening, which gives it a cool/warm juxtaposition. This is interesting, but only mildly so. In the drydown it becomes more vetiver than chestnut, at which point the combination is more pleasing, but it's still hard to get too excited about. Vetiver fans might find this one an interesting take on the note, but there are too many nice fragrances out there to mess with ones for which I have to work up an interest.

20th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 28 June, 2011)

Boss Woman by Hugo Boss

This one started out nicely - a fresh, contemporary airy floral that didn't smell department store-ish on me. Then in the midnote, it began to lose its crispness and definition, and I began to slowly get enveloped in the ozonic department store hell note. Too bad - it started with promise, but this is unwearable for me.

Nantucket Briar by Crabtree & Evelyn

Unisex in my opinion too, because even the femninine , floral, feminine notes are a touch more masculine due to their restrained beauty, their moderate warmth, a certain refined spicy quality. Very old-school, but also optmistic and uplifting scent, reminding me of a day at the seaside, as it has a certain ozonic and marine quality, followed by a warmer drydown, but also exhaling a certain coolness( both in the sense of clean, icy touches, but also in the metaphorical sense, meaning calm, elegance, sobriety and self-confidence).

1881 Black by Cerruti

Masculine scent with unisex quality, because even if some notes are powerfully spicy, energetic and masculine, the combination as whole lacks a certain masculinity. Androgynous, warm and extremely powdery during its drydown. Interesting marzipan note, a certain shower gel style cleanliness. It eventually developes in something far to floral, sweat, creamy to be masculine, overdone aldehyde( or similarly smelling notes), musky and winter spices ( the ones found in candy, pastries, cookies) notes. Besides, it smells quite different from the original 1881- but most "eau", "light", summer, winter versions of famous scents are, if not failures, still just usual, unimpressive reinterpretation, of course, with some exceptions when the revisited creation may be significantly better than the first one.
    However, the name black is fully mismatched, Cerutti 1881 Amber should have been called "black" as it has a certain rough, power-house, lavishly sensual, magnetic and "dark", mysterious side, due to animalic, leathery and almost fleshy, carnal note. This is one too sweet, floral to be "dark", definately not a "black"
    scent, but good if aimed at a younger generation due to both light and heavy floral notes, a slightly synthetic( but not necessarily cheap or trivial, just experimental) edge and edible notes- nut just marzipan or pepper, i also smelled, even if more restrained, the sweetness, almost woody and fatty
    consistence of nut and almond oil. Tough very recent and futuristic, it also has( lietarly) a certain flower power quality- floral, hallucinogenic, musky and exotic, but minus the more macho-oriented quality of that age's male scents, with a metrosexual, sweeter and a more unisex twist, especially in its playfully sweet drydown.

Mardosamantes's avatar

Tea/Rose by CB I Hate Perfume

This is a wonderful scent: like when you are lucky enough to be picking old roses from your garden and reminds me of the saying: spare no expense to keep it simple. Yet this is so elegant.

nunezm58's avatar

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

On a recent trip to Paris I stopped at the shop of L'Artisan Parfumeur located at the shopping arcade inside Musee Louvre. I was amazed at the variety of parfums, and everyone was incredibly authentic! Spicy, floral, fruity...but I was most impressed by Tea for Two. It truly reproduces the delicate scent of black (with a hint of white) tea, and a sweet front note of honey. It later melts warmly into milky smoothness reminiscent of a mixture of citrus (bergamot) and spice. Wonderfully simple, with a strong fixer, it lasts all day. Great buy! I loved it...!

nunezm58's avatar

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

During a recent visit to Paris I stumbled upon the L'Artisan Parfumeur store at Musee Louvre. I tried this fragance, and was instantly smitten by it. I agree with many reviewers that classify it as "the most masculine L'Artisan scent". The spice (apparently based on the legendary "absinthe" or wormwood plant with alleged alucinogenic properties that caused people to see "la fee verte" during those Toulouse Lautrec can-can fin-de-secle days in Paris) is enrobed in liquorice and anise, wood notes, and even some citric afternotes (which are quite rare). It has a good fixer and lasts all day. A wonderful find, very much a smoothly intoxicating night/wintery fragance, it screams to be worm at night.