Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

When evaluating a designer scent, I always like to look at not only how it smells, but also how I think it fits with the aesthetic of the design house whose name it bears. In this way, scents like Gucci PH or McQueen's Kingdom do very well, even though in the case of Kingdom I may not like the smell all that much. On the other hand, scents like Jil Sander or Versace Man do not.

Prada is another that fits well with the design aesthetic of the company. Like Prada's other goods, it is subtle, cool, and slightly disengaged. There isn't much passion, there isn't any sex, and there isn't much warmth here, but there is class with just a hint of quirkiness (the soapy factor gives it a slightly "off" edge).

It's certainly intended to be commercial, but it doesn't feel like a sellout and I don't find it boring. Overall, I think it balances itself well between being the product of a large fashion conglomerate and one that always TRIES (and doesn't always succeed) to remain individual and unique. Definitely worth a try and a pretty good deal at $48 for 50ml.

Tovah's avatar

Enjoy by Jean Patou

This is NOTHING like Joy to me. Enjoy is:
    1. Underrated
    2. A fun, sexy tropical floral that can be worn anytime, anywhere.

If you're looking for Joy-Legere, this is not it. If you're looking for a sultry, tropical top-note, sexy woody drydown scent - do give this a try. It's wonderful!

Tovah's avatar

Trouble by Boucheron

This smells great on me at first, when it smells exactly like Hypnotic Poison. As it dries down, to me it smells exactly like Poison. I love Hypnotic Poison, and I hate Poison. In my opinion, there is nothing original about this scent, and I'd turn to Hypnotic Poison or Addict if I wanted to wear a deep warm vanilla.

The bottle is nice, and the snake cap is really cool. The lasting power is awful. Overall, not for me.

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

I'm in agreement with ELF on this one...there's nothing like the real thing when it comes to roses, but this one is actually good. Not too powerful, which is it's best asset! As with all Bulgari's, layering and combining Rose Essentielle with other juices allows the wearer to customize and create a signature scent!

marcuccio88's avatar

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

feuermandala said "the first morning of the world" - and this is correct. Imagine standing on a dark desolate beach under a heavy grey sky. A hauntingly beautiful scent that evokes loneliness and the sea. However, I don't think I could ever wear this one.

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

This one works very bad with my own chemistry. It's the only Givenchy cologne I can't use. Too bad, the title is very elegant and promising.

Xeryus by Givenchy

A very nice classic. Really I can't believe it was created 20 years ago. Yet modern,yet sensual and airy. It is not the typical citrus zest cologne, a very rare and confortable scent. Still, this cologne should never be used if under 20.

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

This one is good, but not when compared to the previous pour Homme. It is too aquatic and common. Givenchy instead of this one, should have released a more intense version of pour homme, as the original itself is very fresh.

ifconfig's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Thanks to a fellow basenoter, I was able to get my hands on a sample of Bois du Portugal. It is surprisingly very similar to Patricia de Nicolai's New York.

New York is a harsher, more effervescent perfume so I can say I think I prefer Bois du Portugal. I can't really tell what the notes are because I don't want to take the time, but I will say this is a good, interesting fragrance. A thoroughly confident scent. Four stars out of five.

vampixi's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I agree this is totally intoxicating, and very dark. It has a strong sugar and liquorice scent when first applied but dries down to a woody, leathery scent on me anyway. It is very earthy after a few hours. I think it's highly vampire-ish and seductive

KandeeMann2001's avatar

Joop! Homme Chill-Out by Joop!

i recieved this today as a gift. as a summer edition fragrance, i think joop got it right with this one. the start off reminds me a lot of a strawberry-kiwi margarita with tropical island fruits infused in it - mango, pineapple, exotic berries...but just the perfect mix. not overpowering at all. the drydown has that classic joop vanilla-musk-tobacco mix which i love. i think it definately captures summertime in a bottle. and without a doubt, this is a daytime wear cologne. perfect for the beach.

KandeeMann2001's avatar

Tomorrow for Him by Avon

avon has a winner with this one. the start off is a rich and thick oriental spice that has vanilla, cinnamon, and musky smell. the drydown is a creamy carmel-y smell...atleast on my skin! awesome fragrance.

sallieC's avatar

Vivid by Liz Claiborne

This is a very romantic floral with a few bright notes to it. I generally like subtle, fresh fragrances suchas Stella but find this one intense in all of the right ways. Not a fragrance that I would consider fresh but more warm and romantic with a bit more musk to it. One of my favs but not something I would wear to work.

sallieC's avatar

Rose Essentielle by Bulgari

Really nice scent, soft rose with a bit of brightness from the lily of the valley. Don't expect a heavy, musky rose scent. This is light and subtle and actually lasts quite some time for such a gentle fragrance.

wildflower's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Makes me physically ill. I smell the animal. Ewwww and not in a sexy way. More like a dirty gross rodent. A giant turn off.

alas's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I consider this the best fragrance ever made. Armani has overall excellent quality in their fragrances (black code, armani pour homme) and this is the best they have done.

But yes, I too can feel that it is to common and maybe a little worned out. I'm looking for the new absolute best fragrance. I can also symphatize with "ifconfig" because I know with note you are referring to, I have smelled it sometimes and it can be annoying if you smell this scent too much.

But it really is the IDEAL for the average young man, aged 18-35. Everything you need: fresh, sexy, mystic and masculine. On a young man during the summer months it is unbeatable to date if you ask me. The charts don't lie.

But, I do hope for some tough competition among summer fragrances 2007.

alas's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Between Sheets by Van Gils

It's pretty recognisable and popular here in Sweden. I think it is a okay fragrance and it does have a pleasant smell and I owned it for a while. Got tired of it though. It is suitable for evenings but could be worn daily.

I recommend you sample this one if you haven't.

_noire_'s avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This is the first fragrance I ever purchased for myself, and is something that I have worn for years. Issey stays the same on my skin as it comes out of the bottle which now is a little disappointing. The lack of depth and interest with this fragrance doesn't lend it very much wear anymore, but its still a signature scent for me. Timeless and ultimately soothing for me.

_noire_'s avatar

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

I love the Christian Dior fashion house, especially what Hedi Slimane has done to revitalise Dior Homme. I mean, its because of this man that its actually acceptable and desirable for us men to be thin. How stunning are his razor cut shilouettes, that signature Dior Homme look. So as you can imagine, when I flipped through a fashion magazine and discovered a spread about this trio of colognes designed by Hedi for Dior I almost fell over. Being in Canada, in Edmonton no less, I was greatly disappointed to learn that they were exclusive to the Dior Homme boutiques...until last summer when I stepped into Holt Renfrew and discovered them there. Let me just say I like all three, I purchased Bois d'Argent instantly, liked Cologne Blanche however found it too powdery for my personal wear, and I hated Eau Noire when I first smelled it. I couldn't possibly imagine how anyone could wear such a heavy herbal mess on their skin. That was, until recently, when I tried it on my skin. I was completly surprised by what it did...that initial bitter herbal blast of the cedar and immortelle vanished almost instantly, leaving me with an incredible sweet warmth. The fragrance only deepens and becomes warmer the longer its on my skin, its hard to tell that there is even cedar in the fragrance. The lavender and vanilla come to the foreground, leaving the cedar and imortelle lingering in the background only to be faintly noticed. Everytime I catch a glimpse of this scent I feel instantly at ease, and wearing it gives me a sense of power because it is such a warm and unique fragrance. Im utterly amazed at what this does on my skin and only wish I had come across it sooner!

ComDiva's avatar

New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

Love this! Especially in cold weather, I find myself tending toward gourmand fragrances, but have a problem with the concept of smelling too much like actual food. New Haarlem is a great scent that balances "delicious" and "elegant" very nicely. The coffee and lavender blend is terrific. Definitely see this as a unisex scent.

Obsession by Calvin Klein

Sweet and heavy...musky and spicy...sultry, luxuriant, animalistic, and sensuous. Sweet and heavy like old-fashioned perfume oils from Ottoman-era Egypt, but jazzed up with a modern sex appeal. The first time I sampled it in the store, I felt the Obsession molecules snapping right into my cells' receptors, I could almost hear them. It was an instant success.

Eternity Purple Orchid by Calvin Klein

I didn't like it. The smell was all chemicaly. It reminded me of some bug sprays we had way back before those chemicals were outlawed. I gave it to my teenager and she loved it, go figure. When she registers here, she can rate it thumbs up and cancel out my thumbs down.

Shalimar by Guerlain

Shalimar's long-lasting success comes from its delicate balance of rich honey-vanilla sweetness with the lightness of angel wings. Neither too light nor too heavy but well balanced--good for expressing a woman's confidence and strength along with femininity and a hint of mysteriousness.

For me it's a good all-purpose everyday scent useful for both day and evening, and suitable for women of all ages. But then I usually inhabit the more sultry depths of the sensual world, and for me Shalimar is fairly light and cheerful. If you're not used to orientals you might find it a little deep. It's a great in-between scent.

nefrino's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

This one has been my number one for quite some time. It is ranked in top four of all time.

Feuille Verte
    Himalaya
    Selection Verte
    Bois Du Portugal

When you have four favourite scents like that, it is very hard to say which one is the best, or which one is better than the other. They are all unique and they should all be treated the same, and your mood of the moment is going to decide which one will go on your skin that day.

Since all of these are Millesimes and have up to 80% of natural ingredients as compared to 6% (Chanel, YSL etc.) you can start to appreciate it like a good wine.

Keep it away from light and in room temperature or slightly below at all times.

Creed, depending of the harvest year can vary in a hue of the scent from year to year.

It is too light if new and kept for less than a year. As it gets older it matures, and each note can evolve a tad different or stronger but never start to deteriorate like most of synthetic fragrances out there.

However, every cologne is different, you may keep Selectio Verte in your closet for a 100 years and detect no change except in strenght and after 100 years it may in fact begin to deteriorate.
    You can have Himalaya be good only for 15-25 years for it to reach its prime and after which slowly start to deteriorate. Maybe that is why it is placed in a silver, light resistant bottle.

They are all different, just like women from different countries that age at different rate when compared to American.

Himalaya has the best opening of all, together with Royal Water; except that Royal Water starts to sink into feminine realm too much right after the opening.

Himalaya has that creamy, musky scent that I do not enjoy wearing on dates or in the summer. It's sort of Mr. untouchable type and only good for business meeting or something formal; it is even good for everyday wear provided its not hot summer day or a date.

For dates I would use Selection Verte or Feuille Verte.

Himalaya also has that peppery scent to it right after some 30 min of use that makes is an all time classic.

It does, however, take some time to get used to it especially after you swich from gaudy synthetic brands.
    Don't make a mistake and misjudge it.

Nefrino

paintrman's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Fleurs de Bulgarie (new) by Creed

This is probably one of my all time favorites. I have to admit that when I first got it, I was completely turned off by the rose in the top notes and came pretty close to trading it. Then, after a few wearings, I completely and totally fell under it's spell. The rose, on my skin, lasts only about 15 minutes and I have grown to really love the opening. This rose is married to bergamot and so it's a fruity rose. Pretty soon the ambergris surfaces along with the cleanest musk ever. It stays pretty linear from this point on but it is a beautiful accord that I find breathtaking! Sillage is good and it lasts at least 10 hours. I honestly think more guys should try this as it is so wonderful.

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

What's most interesting to me about this scent is how it seems to go against the grain of most fragrances and yet still creates a totally unique, enjoyable experience. This one is very crisp, very green (purplebird's descriptions are spot-on). But, unlike most fragrances, there isn't even a hint of sweetness thrown in, even for good measure. Nor is there anything very spicy, or deep. If Guerlain chopped off the sweet bottom of their scent, and added 10x's the Vetiver, then it might be something like this.

DEFINITELY worth a try for vetiver fans, but don't expect non-fragrance fans to find the appeal. The lack of usual fragrance "talking points" (where's the vanilla? where's the patchouli? etc.) might leave them wondering why you crushed beansprouts this morning and rubbed them all over yourself instead of just spraying on some cologne.

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Cab driver eats an orange? I disagree, but that description is not far off. I'd say it is something more like a very classy person decides to play tennis everyday and then not bathe for a week, before dipping himself in a vat of Hermes eau d'orange verte concentree. When he emerges and the hermes dries off, I think he'd smell like this. The orange is very sharp, very bitter, and mixed in with something sweaty, dirty and sultry. The scent is very different, nevertheless I'd actually put it in the same family of personal, "bodily" scents like Rochas Femme or McQueen's kingdom, despite the fact that this one "smells" much better and is much more wearable by men or women.

Certainly worth a try, but as I said in my review of Vetiver Extraordinaire, this one as well probably won't be understood by friends and family who aren't big fragrance fans. They'll probably just ask you why you didn't bathe before "eating an orange." Like all the Malle I've tried, this one too is VERY personal.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

I've read all the current reviews on this one and am amazed at the wide variance of opinion. I think TEFLONDOG said GPG2 smells 'sexy & dirty' ~ and it does! Also, TAKEMYHUSBANDPLZ said she detected a note of 'honey' ~ and I do to! It's not a powerhouse scent, it wears very close to the skin. While I like this mixture, it's not quite me. So while I won't be wearing it, I will say you should give it a try. Unique!

Pure Turquoise by Ralph Lauren

This scent is bright! Even with patchouli at the base, it remains tangy with the green floral of lily of the valley giving a certain perkiness to this juice. I imagine those who favor a fragrance like Clinique's HAPPY would enjoy this scent as a comparable alternative. Comes off very clean and fresh, yet not high-schoolish. The notes are well blended. Excellent!

vadim's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Soir d'Orient by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A sweet 'n heavy Oriental number that breaks absolutely no new ground, even within the MPG's own line of scents. I don't get any aoud here (at least, none of the heady Montale type), but there's lots of amber and vanilla plus some spices and maybe a dash of sandalwood. Been there, done that...