Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

ModderRhu87's avatar

DKNY Red Delicious by Donna Karan

I was really excited about this one. I thought it would be really fruity and juicy and delicious, like Incanto Dream or Fuji Flower from Stacked Style. I was looking forward to juicy red apples and raspberries, like it said in the description. Alas, all I could smell when I sprayed it on my wrist was "watery" notes. I absolutely abhor watery scents. I could not detect any sort of fruit smell, just a lot of water and cleaning chemicals. Eventually that went away, and 2 hours later I could smell that "sensual skin accord." Bascially, that part smelled like someone else's body smell. Not like an armpit smell, it just smelled like someone else's skin. It was really weird, because I smelled the spot where I had sprayed Red Delicious, and instead of perfume it was a tiny little concentrated spot of another person's "odor." Very strange. I covered it up with Alien though :). Anyway, this fragrance is ANYTHING but delicious. What a misnomer.

ifconfig's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is my favorite Amber, edging ahead of Donna Karan's Black Cashmere.

Terrific in every way, it's a warm envelope of gently shimmering browns and muted reds, like a sunset in Key West in a deserted Mallory square. Perfect!

TDDanae's avatar

Shanghai by Marc Rosen

Shanghai by Shanghai is a most delicate oriental floral with fruity notes.
    Top Notes: bergamot, green apple, touches of cinnamon oil of Ceylon, Asian magnolia flower.
    Middle notes: Ancient Chinese Osmanthus flower with slight apricot notes, carnation, jasmine, patchouli
    Bottom notes: Vanilla bourbon, balsam wood, ambergris, Chinese wild plum. I and my husband truly love this fragrance. It is a very mild oriental and so could be worn anywhere, day or night. Love it!

BlueIsis's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

A wonderful scent, evocative of a simpler time and place. I see countryside at dawn, splashes of cool water, and pale golden light swirled with soft violet when I wear this perfume.

The basenote is a simple sweet vanilla unlike any modern fragrance that I’ve encountered. Modern vanilla in perfumes seem so fake and forced, while L’ Heure Bleue seems to have an authentic natural sweetness – think about a hard sugar cookie taken from a package compared to one baked at home, with warmth and sweetness fresh from the oven.

All that being said, this fragrance seems almost too delicate for the modern world and I certainly would never wear this too work. What that says about my life saddens me a little.

I own both the EDT and the perfume, and prefer the perfume.

Silvergirl's avatar

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Bought this for my BF, but I like to spritz it on sometimes... It goes on quite fresh, with the citrus and slight whisper of mint, then quickly warms up to a slightly sweet spice: I get mostly the cinnamon and nutmeg, very well countered by the lavender and orange blossom. The drydown, despite all of those notes, is rather muted, and just, well, 'nice', nothing extraordinary. I imagine this would be wearable on almost anyone's skin.

vawallpa's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This scent definately is manly but so much so that it reminds me of an old mans house. This one lingered on my skin and made me nauseous whenever i smelt my wrist in the hope that the drydown might give it some hope... but it didn't. The scent after repeated smell tests over the hour I beared it on my skin failed to win me over and remains in the back of my wardrobe with all the other reject scents that failed to make the grade.

Nez's avatar

Quelques Fleurs L'Original by Houbigant

At the beginning, a couple of minutes, it reminds me Chanel Cristalle. It is a fresh ,green, floral, juicy(a little bit at the end), but not too sweet and heady scent. Very feminen and wearable during the day.
    It lasts whole day on my skin. One of my all time favorite classics.

Memphis35's avatar

Pi by Givenchy

I tested this today and bought it which I will get for Christmas.

I still can't stop smelling the tester card! Love this stuff and the bottle is all class.

koffeine's avatar

Norway Norway

5th Avenue by Elizabeth Arden

This is my everyday favourite. After the first sniff I felt quite neutral about it, but after using it for a few days I fell in love with it. It is flowery, feminine, fresh and elegant. Not too sweet, not too much of anything. I'm 25, but in my opinion this scent suits women all ages.

koffeine's avatar

Norway Norway

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

For me, this scent is far too much. Like someone else her already said, it slaps you in the face...I've tried it a few times, and everytime I feel knocked out, but after an hour or more I start to like the smell. Probably best suited for a real diva-like, mature woman.

Tink's avatar

Burberry London by Burberry

I really hated this smell at first. It smelled like grape medicine. But after recomending it to so many people (i work on commission and its high price) i started to LOVE it. For me it's the perfect smell when i let my hair air dry. My friend said it smells to "old" for me, but none the less of the mature smell, it's a good jean fragrances

shubhani's avatar

Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Bought this as impulse purchase after using a sample.Absolute BLISS! The only thing is that it works well in colder weather and probably better on dark/darkish skin. I can smell dried rose petals, amber and red sandal wood and raw opium. Lasted for hours; love it love it love it, but it triggered sneezes in my man.

Blue Chicken's avatar

Malaysia Malaysia

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

Fresh and flowery. A bit more on the motrosexual side. Estee Lauder did a good job on making flowery fragrance for men.

NIKEHEAD1982's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

Chanel Allure Homme is in my opinion, a perfect fragrance, right down to it's casual, yet sporty bottle design. It's clean and warm and contains much longevity. I've purchased many popular men's fragrances over the past 10 years only to discover that this is one of the only fragrances I need, alongside Chanel Allure Sport. I've owned Acqua Di Gio (too cool and not in a good way, not to metion highly overrated), I've owned Armani Code (too warm, but a great men's fragrance), I've owned all of the #1 fragrances, it always seems to be too much or just not enough. Allure Homme is perfect for me. I'm a 24 year old middle class young adult who grew up in the projects and someone who expects nothing more and nothing less out of a men's fragrance. I love mid-late 90's hip hop and R&B music, I'm sporty and soulful and love life. Whether I'm dining out at a steakhouse with my girlfriend or fresh out of the shower, relaxing on the leather sofa while watching the basketball game, the aroma of this fragrance is flawless. Nike makes perfect sneakers, Mont Blanc designs timeless accessories - Chanel creates perfect fragrances. If you can relate or somewhat relate to me at all, go to your local mall and check this cologne out, trust me it's perfect.

flathorn's avatar

Nanadebary Green by Nanadebary

Notes are basil, citron, bergamot, cardamom, green tea and delicate spices.
    This is my favorite green to this point. A nice fresh, crisp but soft green, perfect in summer. Its dewy green start-up isn't galbanumic like Cristalle and Trebol Gal. As its wet but airy opening notes dissipate, green tea and a subtle spicy note start to emerge. They are light and submerged to the main green theme, and stay that way through the life of the fragrance. I like this one because it really feels green, and is easy going, fresh, feminine, and summery. It has the virtue of most green fragrances - it isn't powdered - which always gives this family a freshness and naturalness that makes them appropriate in situations other perfumes aren't.

22nd December, 2006 (Last Edited: 08th July, 2011)

CadillacClaire's avatar

Ma Griffe by Carven

Wow! I was fairly ambivalent about Ma Griffe until recently when I upgraded from the EDT to the parfum. It is an entirely different animal! Sweet, sophisticated, a real class act. The EDT is much greener, and only lasts about five minutes on me, the parfum ismore complex and is mine to enjoy all day long.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi

Spezie is another incredible "hit" from the magic laboratory of that genius Lorenzo Villoresi. The spices in lush mixture and profusion, almost not a fragrance to wear, but something to bask in; to wallow in; it conjures up the image of a dark woody garden store room full of hanging, drying herbs and plants, some you've never heard of, and some you know. This is fragrance that can provide ecstacy for a earthy spice and herb lover. It borders on excess, and maybe you'll wait a few moments before you present this on your person to the world. But, oh, that glorious time alone with Spezie!

JP1's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

oh my goodness me. what an absolute disgrace of a scent. and to think this came from a 'respectable' power house like prada. stick to the female market guys.

don't waste your money on this. it is an afront to all basenoters!

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

What more can one add to good_life's description? He's right, though, this is a brilliant scent. It goes on a little strong with the mint, but soon settles down and creates a unique, warm, inviting experience. Unlike anything I've tried before and DEFINITELY worth the effort of locating.

Great Jones by Bond No. 9

I like many Bonds (Riverside Drive, New Haarlem), while others I find overrated and underwhelming (Bleeker Street, Hamptons). This one is somewhere between the two. It is certainly classy and has presence, but not in a unique, individual, distinctive way. It plays everything a little too slowly and a little too safely, when what one would want at that price level is an adventure.

Worth a try if you receive a free sample, but hardly worth the high price tag. If you have to get a Bond and want something classy with a little spice, get Riverside Drive.

Hamptons by Bond No. 9

Not to add another negative review, but this one really is nothing special. If it cost $40, then it wouldn't be too bothersome, since it smells fairly pleasant but comes and goes without making an impression. The fact that it costs $180, though, makes it inexcusable. It is light and fresh, yes, but it does nothing more than any of the five dozen other fresh, light spring scents on the market that cost 1/4 as much. There are several Bonds that I like very much, but this certainly isn't one of them.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a solid fragrance by the masters at YSL. It's sweet, spicey, and incense-y with a mace note (or is it the benzoin?) that makes it unique. It's gotten compliments and this stuff lasts forever too. Although I wouldn't say BK is one of my all-time favorites, it is a dependable fragrance. One you reach for when you don't know what you want to wear. The Jason Kidd of fragrances if you will.

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

I thought this was going to be a grand fragrance after reading the reviews but I was left dissapointed. It is spicy, but there's no sweetness to balance it out. All I really get is an overpowering nutmeg note. I like nutmeg, but not as the star attraction. It also smothers the floral notes so I don't get a whiff of the carnation, geranium, etc. Lastly, it doesn't last on me at all. 2-3 hours tops.

Insensé by Givenchy

I do not like the topnotes. I do not like them with a fox. I do not like them on a box. Seriously now, I really dislike them. This is usual since I usually dislike things that give me a severe headache. The basenotes are nice though. However, I usually pass out before I get to there so... If you like really strong and heady florals, this one's for you. If not, don't even touch the bottle. You'll regret it.

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a great fragrance, if only it lasted. It's fresh, cool, and not annoyingly fresh like those other scents on the market right now. The cilantro, mint, and what I think is the rhubarb really gives a cooling sensation to the wearer. There's also a semi-woody dry-down that is wonderful. Sadly, it doesn't last more than 1-2 hours on me. Sigh, if only.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Being a fan of the original Allure, I didn't really think much of this until I tried it. Now it has piqued my interest. It's like its older brother but "fresher." It's also a salty kind of fresh, not as salty as Laguna, but in the same vein. This blends perfectly with the sweet Allure base it shares with the original. However, I still prefer the original because of the original's Jamaican pepper note. Although this one's more fresh and less spicy, it's still pretty good.

Alpona by Caron

This is one of the stranger scents I have tried. The opening is not really unisex, but more like androgynous, or even extra-terrestrial. I find it to be very bright and incredibly intense in the opening notes. It calls to mind an exploding star, the word "supernova" pops into my head when I smell these topnotes. They seem to be a mix of hesperides, bright and sharp. The chypre feel is already present at the beginning. As it dries, it softens of course, and becomes more ordinary and unisex than extra-terrestrial. The middle seems to be a soft, floral, unisex chypre smell, and the base is all oakmoss and musk. It's well blended, as everything comes together in a harmonious whole, but probably not something I would wear often. Like Poivre, this is a good "women's" Caron scent for men to check out.

Poivre by Caron

Poivre starts out strong, warm, spicy, and very full. It smells leathery and mellow for a while, still with that warm, spicy, floral combo that the other reviewers have mentioned. Unfortunately on me, as it reaches the base, it just unravels. The oakmoss and vetiver become too apparent and it takes on a weird vegetal-like smell. (A lot of chypres seem to do this on me, so maybe it's just a chemistry issue.) I wish it had held together because for a while it was a very smooth, intriguing, spicy blend, blended in that way that makes it difficult to discern individual notes.

For men looking to explore the allegedly "feminine" Caron scents, this would be a great place to start. There was nothing overtly feminine about this scent. Even in the base, if it reminds me of anything, it is Richard James EDT, or maybe a less "gothic" Iquitos.

Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire

Parfum d'Empire has to be one of the most overlooked houses. Every one of their scents is, to my mind and nose, successful in what it tries to do. This scent is all leather, smooth and refined. There's a slight powdery and sweetly floral quality to it, but I can't pick out any individual notes. The scent it most reminds me of is Pierre Cardin's Cuir Casaque. Cuir Ottoman is actually pretty close to that scent, but less powdery, less floral, and because of that, to my nose, more unisex and more approachable. It's softer, wearing closer to the skin than Cuir Casaque, which to my mind makes it more wearable for those semi-formal occasions where I imagine scents like these work best. If you like smooth, powdery leather, you need to try this. Another winner from this house, which already boasts one of my favorite "citrus" scents (Iskander) and one of my favorite Ambers (Ambre Russe).

Santalum by Profumum

I really wanted to love this fragrance, but I just can't get there. To my nose, myrrh is the main player here, not sandalwood. Santalum smells like a fairly straightforward and simple blend. The topnotes offer a wonderful, eccentric and spicy rush, but soon afterward it settles into a medicinal blend, made just slightly sweeter by the cinnamon. I really wanted this to be woodsier and spicier.

Perhaps oddly, the scent that this most reminds me of is Luten's Vetyver Oriental. While in VO the myrrh is accented with vetiver, cocoa, and iris, here is is accented with cinnamon and sandalwood, though to my nose only a light touch of sandalwood. VO definitely seems more complex. Santalum is nice enough, but I had hoped for more from it. As it is, it just doesn't quite do it for me.