Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Nice, but too classical. If it hadn't that
    rose accord it would be better for me. But still Chanel has great fragrances. Unfortunately for this one, Allure is far greater , being my favourite Chanel cologne.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

A fresher version of Allure, but not as complex as reffined as the original. I also perceive it too milky. It is really good, but not when compared to Allure.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Very Irresistible is resemblant to this one, but far better. This fragrance is too leathery-suede, too synthetic and definitely not for me. Guerlain, I expected much more from your L'Instant range for men. Anyway, you're far better than Armani.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Dzing! is misnamed, although I cannot come up with a suitable alternative. This is not a frantic perfume, bursting through stage curtains. It's much cleverer and more subtle: it begins slowly and soon grows to fill the room with an airy smokiness such as one would get from burning flowers.

To me, this is the best offering of the L'Artisan line.

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

This indeed does start out sweet and that may (and does) put a lot of people off Beyond Paradise Men. This reaction would be wrong, I assure you.

That cloying sweetness lasts a bit longer than most top notes, granted, but when it settles down, a very easy and thoroughly enjoyable accord shows up and guides the wearer the rest of the way.

Lynn Faust's avatar

Portfolio for Women by Perry Ellis

i recieved a free sample vial from scented monkey so i tried it. it is simply uneventful. there is nothing special about this scent. It is slightly floral and did last a few hours. but that would really only be a good thing if it was a more pleasant and memorable smell.

Mikey Q's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Great office scent, low key but extremely classy. You'll catch people moving closer to investigate the pleasantry. Cheers.

zoop's avatar

Finland Finland

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

When I took my first sniff of this, I was instantly transported back to the summers of my childhood back in the countryside. Fahrenheit paints a simple and powerful image of grass being cut, complete with the lawnmower gasoline. Oh, how life was simpler then! An excellent example of "nostalgy in a bottle"!

Not one of the fragrances that I would need to "pull off". I wouldn't want to. I wear it when I want to time travel to those happy years back then - or when I simply feel like screaming "summer".

Chedwick's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Hypnotic Poison is my favorite Dior because it feels so good on, smells so good, is so sensual and gets so many compliments. The bitter almond & caraway are so delicious. Jasmine sambac,moss woods, musk and vanilla: What genius blended this together? This is unisex, and must be used sparingly. The sillage is wonderful, the drydown is dreamy. I'm on my fourth bottle and do not see how anything could replace this Dior. The very first time I tried it, I thought "root ber" and walked away... however it began to work its magic and I ended up back at the perfume counter buying the largest bottle they had. For what you get, it is a real steal.

Chedwick's avatar

Betsey Johnson Parfum by Betsey Johnson

My sister rec'd this one as a Holiday gift. She liked the look of the bottle and we sampled it and were very surprised. Betsey Johnson is so freewheelin', wild , and wonderful --how could she OK a scent that is dull, boring, blah, bland? freakfruit topnotes are followed by uninteresting barely there floral followed by a dry down like zzzzzzzzzzzzz. This is what happens when clothing designers just do not understand scent.

Paul Smith London for Men by Paul Smith

horribly dark and heavy
    though it's rich and everything ....its to complex and dense for me...
    difficult bottle to hold and spray as well...
    though i adore the shape

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

i prefer the womens version with a tad bit more of masculine tones...
    not as smooth...too dense and dark

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

i hate to break the chain of thumbs up
    but in my very own opinion this scent is very heavy and dense and litterally smells like semi-clean dirt...terre....
    i prefer the orange...
    could have added a hint more of sweetness

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

I had an OD of this antidote...
    the bottle is amazingly creative and literal..
    i believe the color of green adds to the effect of mystery and complexity of the scent...and ties the whole antidote theme
    i was at bloomingdales the other day and they had chocolates in the shape of their wax seal...tasted like crappy white chocolate that fell into a vat of Antidote...haha
    yeah...i love the highlights of sweetness within the juxtaposition of dark and sweet...a must buy

BAlex's avatar

Georgia Georgia

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

I agree, although I prefer the Pour Homme Extreme version. Sometimes I can't understand what these guys are thinking. Does someone know why they take the original Extreme and pour Homme out. Apparently the company ordered the unsold bottles back, which i quite weird and replaced it with this new boring soapy smell. hope they'll change their mind

Brit by Burberry

I wanna love this one. I like it, but when i smell deep it isn't so pleasent. And it doesn't stay on me!!!~ maybe if it stayed i could like it more *shrugs*

Live by Jennifer Lopez

I love this fragrance! I ALWYA, get at least one compliment when i wear this. It's a very nice sweet fresh scent. IT makes me feel clean when i put it on

Betsey Johnson Parfum by Betsey Johnson

First off, the bottle and packaging is hidious!!! it looks like something to be sold in wal-mart for 10 year old girls. Bright yellow and hot pink lepored print is nothing but tacky next to yellow background with hot pink roses. the cap would be nice if it was glass, but because it's cheap plastic it justadds tothe tackiness.

Now to the smell. It's very sweet, too sweet for me and I love sweet. Something in it is the exacgt same thing that is in Britney Spears Fantasy, and that one thing gives me the biggest headache in the world.

This perfume is good for a young girl, but when you past the age of 16 it's not something to be worn

Heiress by Paris Hilton

I love this one, it smells like a sophisticated version of Love Spell by Victoria Secret. But, like her other perfumes, it doesn't last. You have to use the lostion and shower gel to avoid having to drench yourself in it multiple times a day

Princess by Vera Wang

This is a beautiful fragrances. It smells just like elizabeth ardens Provacative Interlude, but unlike it, princess does not stay on at all. I had to spray myself every hour so people can smell it

cK one Electric by Calvin Klein

This isnt' a horrible fragrance, but it isn't great. after it's set on me for about 20 minutes it starts smelling like fruitloops. after about an hour its gone. Nothing I would spend money on

Ken_Russell's avatar

Blue Jeans by Versace

I percieve this scent as warm, rich and deep. Almost too little casual or sporty if compared to the name, far more stylish than one would expect knowing it only by the name, while it still is suitable for casual wear, it has the complexity, the long lasting power and the refined drydown even in order to be an evening scent. On my skin it starts of with a citrus-fuity note with some herbal, "green" touches , but dries down extremely long-lasting, partly sweet, with a cocktail of notes reminding of winter spices, sandalwood, musky warmth and even Oriental touches. Inspite of its sophistication and lasting power, it is also discreet and delightfully wearble. One of the most simple choices to smell outstanding in a both easygoing yet timlessly elegant way - as several notes clearly exceed its launch year and age. I would rate it not too different from two fairly contemporary scents: JPG le Male and Ungaro III( or, even Bulgari Black and Extreme and both Roma Uomo and Acqua di Roma), even if these scents are either "darker", more evening-wear scents( with the exception of Acqua di Roma), spicier and maybe less youth-oriented, they all have somthing in common: they all manage to be sweet scents and still smell not overdone, sickening sweet, they all smell pleasantly, and, above all( great achievement for a sweet smell) so masculine in a neither too androgynous nor too cowboy-esque, brutal, overblown way.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

This one is more than a fragrance, a non-verbal language and artform, an olfactory delight which makes words seem useless. Compared to Guerlain's Vetiver( which i also love), the latter creation seems less masculine, more eclectic and sophisticated compared to Creed's Original Vetiver. This one is just potent, simple yet undisputedly elegant in its simplicity. Almost a " soliflore", excluding the fact that vetyver is not a floral ingredient, but his scent almost smells only of vetiver- and this is good, unlike other scents in which one or a few notes render it far too onedimensional, in this scent vetiver is suffieciently powerfull and complex in itsself, in its pure, simple form without anything added( or if it were, i couldn't have smelled them)- a statement per se.
    First, it smelled just a little too antiseptic, bearing a medicine-like quality, hinting at toothpaste, "fresh out of the shower" and, of course, medicine( somewhere in between mint-scented ointment, cough syrup, night cream and spritous tincture: all these multilayered associations suggested my only one perceptible note, and it's only the beginning). The drydown was much more surprising and spectacular, even tough it didn't derail from the strong vetiver notes.
    It included something extremely martial and masculine( yet neither agressively macho nor dark, " gothic"), just sheer, crisp energy and elegance- a both spicy and cooling, both warm and still crisp note of earth, moss and fragrant roots( ginger, ginseng?- yet sitill smelling much closer to vetiver than these tweo ingredients) . Raw, yet understatedly but also energetically masculine style. It is still a mystery to me how sduch a simple, puristic indgredient can be that elaborate at the same time, as it also never fails to smell so natural and authentic. This must be the true art of perfumery at its best- recreate nature's most simple and most accomplished sensations without ever being artficial or overblown, as this scent will out last many of today's trends with it's sheer, no-nonsense timlessness.

robyogi's avatar

Mandarine Mandarin by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

As with many Lutens scents, there is a lot going on here. It starts off with a sweet, candied orange note, this is balanced with what smells to me like immortelle, lending a bitter, herbal quality. In addition to these there are clove and honey notes, and all of that sits on a base of amber, which adds a warm animalic sweetness to the end of this fragrance. Overall, it reminds me of a very good candle for the home, one that is tailor-made for the holidays, or perhaps a pomander ball. Something about the combination of oranges and spices always brings to my mind the holidays.

This combo of course begs comparison to other orange/spice fragrances like Creed's Orange Spice and MPG's Secret Melange. There really isn't much comparison though, as this is a totally different beast. At times Mandarine Mandarin calls to mind Cuir Mauresque, only minus the leather of CM and with a more noticeable amber note. As tmp00 mentioned, a comparison can also be made with Chypre Rouge, probably because of the immortelle. While Chypre Rouge was almost unbearable to me, in its overly bitter Goutalishness, Mandarine Mandarin is to my nose a deft use of immortelle, using it to balance and embitter a typically overly sweet mandarine note.

It's a very interesting scent, complex, with the usual Lutens layers-of-development quality, and I can see myself wearing this this holiday season, in the right setting, probably with a sweater. But after that, I am not sure I will reach for this often.

robyogi's avatar

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Lonestar is heavy, thick, dark, and greasy. I had really hoped for images of a dusty western US landscape, with tumbleweeds rolling past, cowboy boots, horse saddles, maybe even horses, but instead I get the image of working on a tractor in an old barn, wearing greasy, dirty, leather gloves in the darkness and the dead of winter. I've spent more than a few winter evenings repairing machinery, so this image is very real for me, and not an altogether pleasant image. Those who have never spent a night hungry and cold, working on machinery that tears open your frigid, stiff, and dry skin might want to romanticize such imagery, but for me, it's not all that pleasant. I have a hard time getting past this notion when I smell Lonestar.

Being more objective for a moment, Lonestar very much reminds me of Tauer's first men's scent, Desert Marocain, only here the tar and dirt elements have been amped up. There is still that smoky woodiness that to my mind defines Tauer's first three scents. Lonestar dries down to a scent very similar to Marocain. In fact, Desert Marocain does a better job of bringing to my mind the western US imagery I had hoped for with Lonestar.

I don't want to give the impression that this is in any way a "poor" scent. I like it for what it is, and I can see how, for many, this would bring to mind the desired imagery. It just takes me somewhere else entirely.

Words's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Summer 2005 by Issey Miyake

You'll like this one if you like L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme. It's basically the same thing with a citrus or florida orange note instead of a floral one. A citrus version of the original. IMO, better than Pour Homme.

L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

H'm, yes! I smell the Woody Iris that Turin described in his long gone blog. He also described it as unusual, and that's the truth of it.

Homme de Coeur immediately expands into my sinuses and give me a piercing ache--the wood pencil shavings and graphite lead note--which is too bad because I think this is a very good fragrance after this initial burst quietens down.

There may be some issues with longevity as well.

I prefer L'Homme Sage from the same house.

laura willoughby's avatar

Je Reviens by Worth

I was introduced to this perfume by a man.which I thought was unusual.A friend of mine was wearing it and I thought it was a bit odd for a man to go on and like that'particularlt because he wasn't atracted to her,.That has happened sevweral times since, so I bought some and fell i love! In addition to being perfectly composed, it is delcious and beautiful. I do get lots of complements whenever i wear it, but i wear itwhen i am alone so i won't lool silly sniffing my arm all of the time! It is trulyone of the world's great perfumes.

Cat Whitehouse's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Absolutely gorgeous and sexy scent - my favourite scent on a man by far. Whenever I smell this, I swoon. It's kind of spicy. When first applied it's ok, it's after a little while that the true scent emerges...

Cat Whitehouse's avatar

Fantasy by Britney Spears

I do like sweet scents, as long as they are not sickly sweet, and I don't personally think Fantasy is. It starts off sweet and fruity, but it's the drydown that I'm really diggin' - weird, but I pick up on something that reminds me of D&G pour homme, which I go nuts over. I think I will be purchasing...