Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

kellichou's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I love Angel. I agree with other reviewers--a little goes a long way.

Why do I love it so? I suppose it's the number of times I've worn it to a party, and people look around, asking aloud, "What is that wonderful smell? Who smells so delicious?" Once they say, "Oh, it's you! What ARE you wearing? It's heavenly!"

It makes me feel like Kudra (of Tom Robbins' novel _Jitterbug Perfume_), which I think every woman wouldn't mind! And then I tell them it's Thierry Mugler's Angel. But I do agree that it doesn't smell this way on everyone, I guess I lucked out, having a skin chemistry that meshes well with it. A powerful classic. I read in another review that Angel is allegedly a favorite of Hillary Clinton; I fervently hope that is true.

24 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 05 January, 2013)

isaacc7's avatar

Bitter Orange by Agraria

This smells exactly, exactly like the old Christmas ornaments made by sticking cloves into an orange (known as a pomander). It is a heavy, sweet smell with lots of cloves in it. It lasts quite a while although it develops a rather noticeable fecal note on me in the summer. I use it as a room fragrance to great effect and it also works very well in cold temperatures. This is not a "fresh" orange scent, it is a wet, somewhat "dirty" orange smell, but with a heavy clove overtone. A great combo for the right occasion.

nmalakhow's avatar

Acier Aluminium by Creed

My newest purchase (and the happiest purchase I've made in a long time). I must confess my first thought was apple pie + metallic musk--yet quite pleasing. As it settled down, it evolved into one of the nicest, most distinct powdery drydowns I've experienced.

Another reviewer likened it to a Victorian boudoir. I smelled that quality and was (admittedly) enamored--at once very modern and old-fashioned, which translated to elegant.

A friend of mine who has a self-described "allergic" to scents (walking within ten miles of a sephora gives her a terrible headache) even complimented me.

Logevity was pretty good (better than I get for most EdP strength Creeds) and sillage was clearly effective.

One downside--when I got home at the end of the night (after 5hrs plus out) the nice dry-down had turned a bit sour smelling, but I can live with that if I get to take the ride that heads there.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

A very fresh fragrance, I think it will be my summer choice along side Terre d'Hermes. A very comforting smell, something that is fresh and very clean.

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

I really like how this one smells, it's very different from anything else I own. I just feel it doesn't last very long nor does it project well. I would recommend this but I can't say I'm a fan of the "fresh" fragrances so I couldn't compare it to anything else.

Pi by Givenchy

I've had girls I know tell me they would love this "lick" this off. That must mean something is right about it. Lovely smell from Givenchy.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

This one is difficult for me to wear. I cannot stand the top notes, it smells almost like body odor to me, but once that goes it is incredible. I absolutely love this in cooler weather, I just wish the opening wasn't so harsh.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

A good alternate to Angel Men, though I do love both. This works better as an everyday scent while Angel Men is reserved for special occasions. Lovely scent.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Lovely fragrance, it sticks very well to my refrigerator. I think this is an amazing warm scent.

Jasmal by Creed

Looking for a heady Jasmine fragrance that a man could get away with, I took a chance on this when I found an excellent deal on a used bottle of this. I must say it's excquisite. It's soft and lush and all flowers. Unfortunately it doesn't suit me at all. It's heavy on rose, which I don't wear well, and is just too feminine.

It ended up as a much appreciated present for a wonderful little girl.

In the end I found Yasmin by Ayala Moriel which is a jasmine soliflore and suits me quite nicely.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Nevermind any what anybody says about this. It smells like warm cotton candy. It's warm, full bodied, and very smooth and creamy, as one might imagine cotton candy froth to be. It also brings to mind the flavour of half a dozen large marshmallows melted into a foam in some hot chocolate. If you like that you'll love this.

I must admit that after initially being very disappointed with it as a blind buy, I am starting to like it. Lately I've been wearing it every day, but I still seem to be in a testing phase as I don't think I wear it very well. I think this would do quite well as a women's fragrance, and I'm surprised that it isn't at least unisex. If you're going to divide up fragrances into male and female, I really don't think this fits in the male side of things.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

This is soooooo good. I get compliments on it all the time. I bought it blind after finding a used 3.3 oz bottle for like $10 and since then I must have wasted a quarter of it spraying myself around the house and before bed.

It's kind a spicy, cactusy candy scent. Quite sweet but not atrocious like Joop, or COtton Candy like BOdy Kouros. It actually manages to be sweet and still have alot of class and depth. Hard to describe.

It doesn't last that long on me, which is why I've also got the aftershave and shower gel and will be picking up the deodorant. The shower gel makes the best notes in it last longer and gives it more body somehow.

When you first apply it it's quite sharp and gritty and not altogether pleasant, and it actually took me a little while to appreciate it. But once it settles it's quite lovely.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

This is something quite unusual, and special. This is one of those fragrances where I ended up with the deodorant, aftershave, and shower gel, each of which smells quite different as if emphasizing a different aspect of the cologne.

It's a "broad spectrum" fragrance with a range from sharp high end smokey down to sweet fruity and warm nutty. It's quite overwhelming and smells very different on different days.

It gets awestruck compliments from some and choking disgust from others. It all depends on whether the sweet or sour is coming out of it that day.

It smells it's best on clothes, particularly a turtleneck collar, wool scarf or fur lining, which bring out the sweetness of it.

Smells great on women too.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

There an interesting and in depth article on this at http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/050314fa_fact?050314fa_fact

Although I do agree with the reviews below that it's quite green and fresh, contrary to what everyone seems to say about it being sweet I find there is a predominant and strong note or combination of notes which make brings to mind bitter citronella.

It's interesting, and for some reason since I tried layering it with Body Kouros a couple of times as an experiment, I've come to enjoy it more on it's own and I'm beginning to apreciate it more and more.

Although I like to wear it to bed sometimes, I as of yet don't feel comfortable in it, and when I do wear it out, it has yet to evoke any compliments. Most comments are negative or neutral.

I much prefer Un Jardin en Méditerranée, which I find to be heavenly.

Fiorello's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I found the pepper and benzoin combination to be so incongruent it gave me a severe headache. I think this is what robyogi was referring to when he described it as being like old wax fruit or cedarmoth's description, "An old shoe grinding a baby aspirin into a gravel road". It also reminds me of those paper-strip sachets they sell in Italian grocery stores. I do appreciate the citrus/woods going on, but I much prefer Déclaration to this.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

its nice one.i used wear 10 years ago in the collage,one of the oh you smell good scent.its not my taste anymore

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

nice formal scent .should be worn by 30 and up

Centaure by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

sweet and sour,hot and cold all together in this scent.i wont buy it

Visit by Azzaro

i dont like it.somehow it smell cheap drug store juice

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

nice fragrance,should be worn in fall,winter.definetly night time scene

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

please try to make something nicer and dont copy the other houses.

tnamey's avatar

Kanøn by Kanon

First purchased in Montreal in 1974. Loved the scent then. Did not buy another until last year, and wonder why. Woodsy, bright, and understated. Love it.

sniima's avatar

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

i'd just like to note that mangosteen is NOT that similar to mango. i had it this past summer in the philippines; it is a yummy white fruit in a purple shell-like skin that has a subtle, tangy edge contrasting nicely with its soft meat.

as for the perfume, it is alright but not too unique, nor do i detect anything particularly reminiscent of mangosteen. it smells mostly like a generic sweet candy.

BOD Man: Really Ripped Abs by Parfums de Coeur

Very strange stuff. It smells really diffrent depending on the day and the amount you use. Its in between Axe spray and a cheap cologne. Its alright stuff if your not used to good cologne or if your doing manual labor and you need something to cover up the stink. You need to use it like body spray for it to be effective.

Axe Phoenix / Lynx Phoenix by Axe / Lynx

I bought a stick of the deodorant and used it until it ran out. Its very calming and not overley spicy. It lasted all day, Axe makes very good deodorant.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

I'm really surprised by all these reviews! I've been eyeing this cologne for a while, always testing it at Macy's. I recieved it as a gift, and have worn it for a week. To me, its actually very original. I HATE when cologne smells like deodorant. Pour Homme smells very rich and expensive. Its very warm and welcoming, and its definatley not old mannish! I'm in highschool, and the ladies love it! This is definatley something you actually need to try for a while and not just go by reviews, because it looks like its diffrent for diffrent people.

Axe Kilo by Axe / Lynx

Like everyone else says, this stuff is a chick magnet! Every girl I talk to regularly has brought it up. Smells almost like real cologne, but still has that deodorant aspect to it.

tnamey's avatar

Knize Ten by Knize

One of the best "leather" fragrances. So classic. Will be around long after it's critics noses dry up!

Found in the Bahamas in a sampler. Lovely, refined, "earthy-dry leather." I have had more comments on this fragrance than any worn. Women love this scent, which "morphs" as time passes. Long lasting, but subtle and different as the day wears on. Powdery-leather best describes it, but it is much more complex. It lasts. Not for boys, I might add. Clearly both a refined and power fragrance! One of my favorites all time!

25 December, 2006 (Last Edited: 30th December, 2012)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Ignition by Lomani

This is vanilla heaven with great longevity and powehouse sillage. Not terribly complex, but gets the job done.

I first heard about this frag over at Perfume Emporium where they had(ready?) over 159 reviews! Mostly abouts how women drooled over this babe magnet.

Well, it's Bulgari Black for me, but if you're a gourmand addict with a sweet tooth for vanilla, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Interestingly, (if you don't overdose ) it's NOT cloying.

Huh? How can that be?

Probably because comparing it to most vanilla gourmands is like comparing cigarettes to aged Cohibas.

This is 100% revved up Puro Primo Vanilla

Maybe that's why they called it Ignition?

26 December, 2006

hirch_duckfinder's avatar

Epicéa by Creed

Starts with a citric blast followed by a fresh pine accord. The pine fades quite quickly, dropping into the base of cardomon and other spice. The drydown is dominated by this.

I am not a huge fan of either pine or cardomon so this fragrance is not for me. Having said that, the pine accord in the upper-middle is really clear and natural smelling so if you like the sound of the notes, you will probably enjoy this.

Sillage is ok and longevity is good for the drydown, but the whole structure arrives at this persistent end point too quickly.

26 December, 2006