Fragrance Reviews from December 2006

Indie_Guy's avatar

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

I don't know what to think of Tabarome Millesime (New Tabarome)...

I bought a bottle of it blind. I'd heard some people say it was just like Bulgari Blu. Well, it wasn't--which was nice, because I didn't want to have another Creed deja vu moment--but I think Tabarome Millesime is more than just a little weird.

The ginger blast can be overwhelming. I agree with CoL that it can be almost nauseating. The initial impression is something like a tart, sour gingery, slightly powdery, aldehydic pineapple smell. I think I hate the opening. Kind of a clammy sensation, the warm and cold at the same time. There is perhaps too much bergamot in the top.

However after a mere ten minutes, it gets much better. The ginger/pineapple recedes and I get a kind of butterscotch note that starts to peek out. I really wish the initial topnote weirdness could be avoided totally, because it gives perhaps a false impression of the scent.

I was expecting something more earthy and opaque--it's hard for me to judge because the opening blast colors my impressions of it so heavily--if I could have just started it further into its drydown the first time I smelled it, my opinion would be different. Also, for some reason I keep expecting to get some leather out of this fragrance and never get any. I've smelled Vintage Tabarome and while it's not for me (reminds me of mothballs), I can see its richness and leathery contours. New Tabarome on the other hand feels a bit underpowered and wet behind the ears.

I'm going to keep wearing it and see if it grows on me-- as it is, this is one of the few times where I am pretty neutral on a scent.

Jon_Remy's avatar

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Another lovely CLASSIC. Since Balenciaga Pour Homme has been discontinued, this comes in a close second and I wear it quite frequently. Get many compliments. Was at the art museum the other day walking through the exhibits when I smelled this on another man and had to ask what he was wearing. He said Ted Lapidus. I said, I've got that fragrance too. Now I realize how GOOD it smells. Since then, I've gotten numerous compliments whenever I wear it. I only have half of a 1.7-ounce spray bottle of Balenciaga left and a full 1-ounce splash. I will only use that very sparingly and perhaps on occasion to jog my memory of when this exquisite potion was still in production. Lapidus is very similar to Balenciaga and I will wear that instead, even though I think I prefer the Balenciaga just a tad more. I sure wish Balenciaga would bring it back. However, you won't be disappointed with Lapidus if you were a fan of Balenciaga PH.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Gold / Yardley Gold by Parfums Bleu

Warm, spicy but overall very generic scent. It has a certain 70's attitude, it is definately more potent and even a bit over the top rather than restrained, on the good side long lasting, but also fiery in a slightly overdone way. Even the drydown is so 70's- animalic, sensual, almost intoxicating. It should have either had a very exotic/ Oriental name, one hinting at its heavy ingredients or one marketing party mood, glam, excess and funk or disco feeling. Tough made in the 80's and named after one of this materlistic decade's most widespread obsession and status symbol, it smell like it should have been launched one decade earlier.

Candy Perfume Boy's avatar

England England

DKNY Men (original) by Donna Karan

Smells exactly like 'Crave' by Calvin Klein to me, which i wore when i was about 14. Nice but a bit too sweet for me.

Candy Perfume Boy's avatar

England England

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

I love this. It's a very light floral, but with something a bit deeper and darker hiding under the top notes. Unfortunately i find it doesn't last very long on my skin. Definitely one of my favourites of the 'Poisons' (Tendre Poison being my favourite).

rach2jlc's avatar

West Broadway by Bond No. 9

Next to Riverside Drive, this is my second favorite Bond. It reminds me somewhat of cannabis Santal and/or A*men with its almost sugary sweetness, but the addition of the musk and tea gives it a classy edge that makes it more wearable for business or work. I get excellent longevity from it and find it wearable in warm and cold weather.

Renaissance_Man's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 by Comme des Garçons

As already mentioned, this may be a bit on the feminine side but in a different way than anything else. It's still dark and mysterious, comforting, and warm...irresistible and it has all the right notes for it. Except I wish the magnolia were a little toned down. There are other "shared" scents like this (more on the feminine side) which I would not wear but this one is fine by me. It's rich and luxorious, not synthetic like other CdG's.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond / Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma

Are you wearing Mandorlo di Sicilia or did you just spill cream soda all over yourself?
    Better keep talking & moving while wearing this or people will mistake you for a giant vanilla-scented candle. Those always smell cheap and artificial. So does this.

the_good_life's avatar

Germany Germany

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

While I understand that market dynamics seem to demand constant expansion these days, even of traditional fragrance firms, it is sometimes just better to keep doing what you have done well for a hundred years and stick with that. And if you're going to branch out, to do it right. Colonia by Aqua di Parma is such a classic, it truly stands tall among traditional Italian colognes and those of the other great perfume nations. Whoever controls this company now seems to know little of the responsibility that should come with bearing such a rich heritage, or so would be my conclusion from trying a number of the more recent offerings from this house: the inept mutilation that is Colonia Assoluta (the Germans have that wonderful word "Verschlimmbesserung," meaning "improving for the worse"); the gruesome cheap-scent-candle vanilla-almond Mandorlo di Sicilia; the insipid Arancia; and now the utterly superfluous Fico di Amalfi. For the perfume world needs an inferor version of Diptyque's Phylosikos with a citrus top as much as Italian democracy needs people like Silvio Berlusconi.
    Really, all the folks at AdP need to do now is reformulate the original Colonia with cheap synthetics and another great name will have been run into the ground by the barbarity of brainless profit maximization.

26th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 16th September, 2009)

Fiorello's avatar

Hombre de Flores Jasminum by Fresh

I truly love jasmine and masculine, floral compositions. Naturally I had to try this. Although it is a pleasant and unassuming juice, it doesn't do justice to the jasmine. In fact, it's only an after thought in this pallid, mostly green and coniferous blend. It's difficult to find now that production has stopped. Unless you can find it for a low price, don't waste your time. Contrary to this; if you find the Hombre de Flores Tuberosa, buy it. Now that's what I call a splendid, masculine floral--and it's much more tenacious than this. I wish someone would make a righteous jasmine composition for men. Something like Creed's Jasmal, but earthier.

Fiorello's avatar

Hombre de Flores Polianthes Tuberosa by Fresh

This is a great example of a masculine floral. It is natural, fairly intense, tenacious and not cloying (for a floral). Grab it if you can find it. The Hombre de Flores Tuberosa is hands down better than the Hombre de Flores Jasminum, which is too bad because I adore jasmine most of all flowers. I find it fairly similar to L'Artisan's La Chasse sans the cloying tilleul (linden blossom/lime blossom). A great, medium intensity, warm weather fragrance. No vanilla or musk!

DalyRa's avatar

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Absolutely spellbinding! I'm one of those who is actually most glad that this didn't turn-out as intended--yet another overpowering, common, and over-rated rose perfume. If I ever descend to wanting something like that: they're a-dime-a-dozen at most drugstores.
    This is a much more complex and complete fragrance that doesn't dry-down to a powdery (yuck) floral. I also like the lasting quality--even in the EDT version--use less if you wish to apply more often.
    Romantic, sensual, mysterious, floral modern classic for YSL! I especially appreciate the fact that on me: no one or two notes can definitely be identified. It's a buxom, beautiful bouquet of mixed florals. Purr-fect for that romantic evening...mmmmmmm.

slademd's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Fracas has recently become an obsession for me. It is extremely feminine, floral, with deeper resinous notes on the dry down. It calls images in my mind of purple violet flowers growing on a sunny hill. Pure magic. It is a deep floral - Nothing superficial about this scent, but still manages to convey the innocence of fresh flowers. There is a sweet roundness to the blend of essences, no jagged edges, no sharp bursts of scent that may assault your nose, however the scent is very strong. A little of the perfume goes a long way...A must have in any perfume lovers collection.

mabangongbata's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

This actually lasts very long on my skin. It's a nice sensual scent that I'd definitely wear on a date. I don't think this is strictly for evening use only, but I won't wear this on a hot sunny day. This is a great, complicated scent and I suggest you try it out for yourself.

Ana_Garcia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Amor Amor by Cacharel

LOVE is the word... spicy tricky lovely and sexy ;) just wanna eat it

Design for Men by Paul Sebastian

Very nice. Clean, pleasant and inviting. Its good for those days you want something different yet fresh and invigorating.

Modern for Him by Banana Republic

love it. you have to let it dry to get the cedery manly scent

Photo by Lagerfeld

Timeless classic. Sweet enough, spicy enough, but not overbearing.

Sander for Men by Jil Sander

Reminds me of a fresh pack of minty gum, only it is accompanied by some pepper and some sweetness. Definately unique.

Touch for Men by Burberry

sex potion. It almost smells pheromonic, but very clean, and its stays fresh and clean for a good long time.

Black by Kenneth Cole

Dissapointed. Smells decent, but nothing special...and not worthy of the Black name.

Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

I love this stuff. It is a great contrast between a man floral and a 'dirty'. The dirty is a horse barn smell to my nose, though very well tempered with the perfumy floral. It is in the same vein as Paloma Picasso Minnotaur to me. This is what a man floral should smell like, rather than the mess today, that is all floral no man. That being said, it can come across a little dated nowadays, so I would only wear it to dressy events. The notes are well blended so it is a bit hard to pick out each individual note. Good stuff.

26th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 09th April, 2010)

Casual for Men by Paul Sebastian

Nice clean 'hi there' scent. Love it. Dries down to a manly 'dirty' that's still clean. Last a while, the entire time waving at you like a new friend at a party. Inexpensive too.

Sentiment for Men by Escada

Why bother?<br>CK Be plus some spice...and it only lasts for two seconds.

The above was my original review...however after spending a lot more time with this I have come to appreciate it. It is liek CK Be but lighter, with one of the best grapefruit heavy citrus accords i have ever sampled. It lasts long to. THumbs up for sure on this now.

26th December, 2006 (Last Edited: 04th April, 2008)

Cavalli Man by Roberto Cavalli

This is one of my favs. It caught me off guard initially, and I tohught, what a horrible scent. Then I decided to be patient with it and now I just love it. Its got a very different and special mix going on. Starwalker by Mont Blanc is along the same line, only Cavalli got it right and Mont Blanc didn't.

Aqua di Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

reminds me of l'eau d'Issey with roses and a touch of grapefruit in the opening. I like it.

Jade Blossom by Stila

I bought this on a whim at the mall and am really wishing I hadn't. It cost to much to give away but is too sweet and actually a bit odd to wear. I really would not reccomend it.

Rockin' Rio by Escada

this is very bright like summer. perfect for wearing during a summer brunch with friends.

Bright Crystal by Versace

I really like this floral for its base and middle. The topnotes however are quite strong and I have to put it on atleast 10 to 20 minutes before i leave the house for that reason. my dad loves it and so does my mom. The bottle is gorgeous. be careful however before you buy it because it is so strong.

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

This is one of the most wonderful fragrances I have ever owned or worn. I love how rich it smells. It's so complex unlike other celeb fragrances like heiress by paris hilton or fantasy by britney.

I love the mangosteen in the top notes and the amber is so light but with alot of kick to it. I also love it because of its wearability, I got it for christmas and not a single relative turned their nose up at it. my mom and I both love the vintage gold topped bottle and the perfect amount that it sprays.

I totally recommend this fragrance to anyone over 13 and under 35. a great investment that you will love wearing.